Cincy Bengals Trivia

DDOGG

I'm late for this one so let's catch up.

First, I'm older than COB.

Second, I remember it being WEBB.

Third, assuming the correct answer is indeed WEBB...I would have gotten all of the original questions correct except the one about the wrestler, who to this very day I continue not giving a single s**t about.

Fourth, of the additional questions asked I'm sorta stumped on the kicker question, but I'll answer Rackers.

BTW, I once won a bar bet between a group of Bengal fans that asked which team was the last to join the AFL. To my suprise, none of the other six Bengal fans remembered how Cincinnati originally joined the AFL.

I pictured you (COB) as either a younger college student or someone in their late 20's. Weird.

Kids are the greatest. My three year old daughter is an angel. I also give her the things that I never had. She's so spoiled. I value every second that I spend with her.

Give us some newer-school trivia please...

Ok, newer-school trivia.

Which of the following Bengals receivers tanked the 2008 season and wrote a book bragging about it?

1) Chad Johnson

2) Chad Ochocinco

3) Fredo

4) It's a trick question because they are all he

BEFORE anyone takes this as an invite to stir the pot, please note this is just me taking a friendly jab at gizzie, all in fun and jest.

Paul Brown won almost every battle he fought with the NFL, the competition committee, etc. One he did not win was over the terms of the expansion draft when the Bengals came into the league. He liked the expansion terms given to his predecessors. But the owners changed the terms they gave to the Bengals, and Paul felt he wasn't given a chance to be competitive with the depth-only guys he was given a crack at. He tried like hell to get a better deal on players, but he failed.

Trivial but true. The Bengals drafted a dead guy in their expansion draft.

To help staff the new Bengal franchise all AFL teams had to expose several players to an expansion pool of players. Within that group of players the Broncos included a player they knew had just passed away....and the Bengals did indeed draft that player. Paul Brown was said to be livid when informed of the news and afterward not only demanded the Bengals be compensated, but argued loudly for the Broncos to be punished for deliberately sabotaging the expansion draft. However, Paul Brown's protests fell on the deaf ears of then AFL commissioner (Al Davis?) who ruled the Bengals should have done better homework on players. Many months later a still livid Paul Brown was able to gain a measure of revenge by coaching the Bengals franchise to it's first ever win, against those same Broncos.

Paul Brown won almost every battle he fought with the NFL, the competition committee, etc. One he did not win was over the terms of the expansion draft when the Bengals came into the league. He liked the expansion terms given to his predecessors. But the owners changed the terms they gave to the Bengals, and Paul felt he wasn't given a chance to be competitive with the depth-only guys he was given a crack at. He tried like hell to get a better deal on players, but he failed.

To help staff the new Bengal franchise all AFL teams had to expose several players to an expansion pool of players. Within that group of players the Broncos included a player they knew had just passed away....and the Bengals did indeed draft that player. Paul Brown was said to be livid when informed of the news and afterward not only demanded the Bengals be compensated, but argued loudly for the Broncos to be punished for deliberately sabotaging the expansion draft. However, Paul Brown's protests fell on the deaf ears of then AFL commissioner (Al Davis?) who ruled the Bengals should have done better homework on players. Many months later a still livid Paul Brown was able to gain a measure of revenge by coaching the Bengals franchise to it's first ever win, against those same Broncos.

O.K, but the dead guy is still only the third worst draft pick in Bengals history..

O.K, but the dead guy is still only the third worst draft pick in Bengals history..

Who are David Klingler and Akili Smith?, Alex.

ding, ding, ding, ding, ding, ding....

Is Ki-Jana Carter fourth?

Is Ki-Jana Carter fourth?

I am one that believes that Ki-Jana could have been a great player had he not been hurt on the 2nd play of his career. It was the one time that soP actually tried to make something happen by trading up. I still remember the headline of the birdcage liner the next morning: KABOOM KI-JANA!

(14) - Complete the following 1968 era Paul Brown quote:

"I didn't pay _____ million dollars for a f**king AFL team."

(15) - After paying the above amount...what share of the team did Paul Brown own in 1968?

A - Two percent

B - Five percent

C - Ten percent

D - Twenty percent

C - Ten percent. I can't remember the dollar amount in that Paul Brown quote, but for some reason I think it was a multiple of 4. Also, along with the dead guy, in their first draft the Bengals drafted a guy who was in prison in Michigan. I'd like to see another franchise come up with a draft even close to that, one guy in prison, one in the ground.

Man, you are old though COB. I had this image of you as some sort of Rock God/International playboy bank robber. Now, I just see a man counting down the moments to his meeting with the divine potter.

Thanks, now every time I hear the Beastie Boys song Paul Revere I am going to think of C.O.B......'so I grabbed the Piano Player and I punched him in the face...'

(14) - Complete the following 1968 era Paul Brown quote:

"I didn't pay _____ million dollars for a f**king AFL team."

(15) - After paying the above amount...what share of the team did Paul Brown own in 1968?

A - Two percent

B - Five percent

C - Ten percent

D - Twenty percent

C - Ten percent. I can't remember the dollar amount in that Paul Brown quote, but for some reason I think it was a multiple of 4.

How did the line from the Bengalzone mock draft go? Something along the lines of....."Cob, you're a big bag of fail today."

The classic Pail Brown quote, profanity rarely included, should read...."I didn't pay ten million dollars for a f**king AFL team." At the time the remark was considered notable as it was seen as further proof of an unspoken merger agreement between the AFL and the NFL, later confirmed by Lamar Hunt to have been reached as early as late 1966 or early 1967.

And the correct answer to question 15 is........two percent. According to an investigation into the Bengals finances by the Enquirer, published years ago, Paul Brown quickly and steadily increased his share of ownership over the years by buying out other minority owners, deferring salary, and exercising stock purchase options, but actually only owned just two percent of the team in 1968, far less than was reported at the time.

Also, along with the dead guy, in their first draft the Bengals drafted a guy who was in prison in Michigan. I'd like to see another franchise come up with a draft even close to that, one guy in prison, one in the ground.

I hadn't heard that one, but the story of the dead guy surfaces from time to time, usually after Mike Brown reminds some writer about how long his father held a grudge against the Bronco franchise for knowingly including a dead guy in the group of players exposed to the Bengals expansion draft.

Yea, after the expansion draft, the Bengals in January of '68 had their first collegiate draft. First pick in the 4th round was a running back named Jess Phillips, who was in prison in Michigan when he was drafted. So I guess it went expansion draft - dead guy, collegiate draft - incarcerated felon. Paul Brown had some issues there with his first drafts, but understandable given the terms under which he was forced to work.

Off topic, but Paul Brown always had interesting things to say. At the start of training camp in July 1969, he addressed the team, telling them what he expected. You can imagine the cultural upheaval in the summer of '69 with the war protesters, the drug culture, etc. Paul Brown addressed the issue during a talk to the whole team as follows: "I won't stand for any Bolsheviks on my team."

Paul Brown didn't like Bolsheviks on the Bengals.

Another quote I like from Brown was given to the media after one of his not so great teams had played a poor game. He stepped to the microphone and by way of introductory remarks said, "We continued our policy of making every one of our opponents look good."