The Rodgers Trade is off

Kazkal

From the NFL.com article...

"Detroit had been fielding offers for the talented but inconsistent defensive tackle and had settled for the Bengals' offer of two selections in the middle of the NFL draft in April. It is not known why the deal unraveled."

Regardless of what the explanation turns out to be if the trade does fall through it seems certain that his one's targeted for legendary status. It'll go straight into the archives along with the failed Sapp signing, making the Goose fly coach, and the towels being too small to dry even half of Willie Anderson's ass.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry. What was that about the league office?

I laughed when someone posted earlier that maybe Goodell nixed the trade to us. He wouldn't be that blatant, I thought. What possible explanation could the league have for blocking that trade?

Not to mention that IF the league office nixed it and as a consequence Rogers went to a division rival because of it, that would perhaps be grounds for an Al Davis style lawsuit against the league by the Bengals.

From the NFL.com article...

"Detroit had been fielding offers for the talented but inconsistent defensive tackle and had settled for the Bengals' offer of two selections in the middle of the NFL draft in April. It is not known why the deal unraveled."

Regardless of what the explanation turns out to be if the trade does fall through it seems certain that his one's targeted for legendary status. It'll go straight into the archives along with the failed Sapp signing, making the Goose fly coach, and the towels being too small to dry even half of Willie Anderson's ass.

Fair warning: I am poised on the edge of the handle and ready to fly. :sure:

I got a powder keg to my right labeled Mikey and one to my left labeled GOD-el...just a question of which one I light off!

And I know you wouldn't expect anything less, right? :lol:

If Goodell blocked it and comes out with something along the lines of:

"The Bengals have had a tough go of it with off-field problems, and it wouldn't be prudent to add this player who's already had one drug suspension and has strip club problems, to their rehabbing outfit"

well, I just don't know what I'll do. Scream bloody murder, complain that we don't need a mommy, fire off angry emails for Goodell to ignore, laugh my ass off if that fat-body snorts doughnuts all summer and is a bust. Possibly all of the aforementioned. But one thing I will absolutely do is come to the realization that we are not being treated fairly by the league office, and that Katie Blackburn better put that dusty law degree to some use.

Alright. Now I am full metal jacket pissed.

On what basis does the NFL have the authority to nix deals? Assuming the salary cap isn't impacted, and I don't see how it can be given we are early in free agency and there is extra cap room for most teams, on what basis can they do this? If they in fact did?

Look, here's the basics of deals (legal style)(and it's not unlike fantasy football deals):

Unless the trade is so fundamentally unfair that it would upset the competitive balance of the league, then the NFL has no business intervening. None. If the league let Randy Moss go for a 4th round pick last year, I cannot imagine on what basis they could have reasonably nullified a perfectly legitimate deal.

Oh sweet jeebus I am gonna be beyond pissed if this is actually what happened.

ROGERS TO BROWNS A DONE DEAL

According to Hondo Carpenter of SpartanNation.com, who as we understand it is very well plugged in as to the goings on in Motown, the Lions have finalized a trade of defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to the Browns.

In return, the Lions reportedly will get cornerback Leigh Bodden and a third-round draft choice.

Carpenter says that the league office rejected a trade that would have sent Rogers to the Bengals for a third-round and a fifth-round pick.

Because of characters reasons I am guessing comes down too.

Again, if it was for "character reasons", the Bengals need to sue. Immediately.

I have just spun around the net looking for a precedent for the league office invalidating a legit NFL trade, and can't find one.

Closest I can even come across the major sports is Bowie Kuhn and MLB invalidating the Reds' effort to acquire Vida Blue in the 70s.

Aye, be utter bullcrap if league stepped in....but for most part atm seems like browns offering better deal bodden is a good corner and beats a 5h

Doesn't matter if it is a better deal or not.

The Lions are free to make whatever deal they think best. IF they wanted to do the Bengals deal, and the league office invalidated it because the league didn't think the Lions were getting enough, that would be equally as egregious as invalidating the deal for character reasons.