The Rodgers Trade is off

Kazkal

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My night has been ruined and I'm pissed at the Bengals for failing to accomplish anything once again. We have a good core group of players and they are going to get wasted because our front office can't ever get anything done. Carson is going to be like Marino because we suck at making things happen. If these people running the show wasn't family they would be s**tcanned. You can only fail so many times before you get fired. They need to start running a business instead of a family. FFFUUUUUCCKKKKKKKKKK Mike Brown, what a fuuuuuuucccccccccckkkkkkkking bastard.

Potential reasons the league could have nixed the trade:

1. Character reasons

2. Didn't think it was fair

3. Some bulls**t technicality involving the salary cap.

Given that it is the Bengals, I find possibility number highly improbable. As we all know, the Bengals NEVER do anything creative with the cap.

That would leave possibilities one or two.

IF the league office blew it up for one of those reasons? Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. Sue. And then for good measure, sue.

Aye, be utter bullcrap if league stepped in....but for most part atm seems like browns offering better deal bodden is a good corner and beats a 5h

There's no doubt about it, the Browns paid more. But they don't get the chance if the league office doesn't reject the trade. And the reason they did so, regardless of what the explanation turns out to be, will quickly earn a place in Bengal legend.

The NFL will stand on its head now to look like it had nothing to do with it. If it really had nothing to do with it falling apart, fine. But if it scuttled it and is hoping that Mike B won't make any waves about it? Mike B needs to make waves.

Aye, be utter bullcrap if league stepped in....but for most part atm seems like browns offering better deal bodden is a good corner and beats a 5h

Doesn't matter if it is a better deal or not.

The Lions are free to make whatever deal they think best. IF they wanted to do the Bengals deal, and the league office invalidated it because the league didn't think the Lions were getting enough, that would be equally as egregious as invalidating the deal for character reasons.

Oh I know,I ment if league didn't step in but was lions who pulled out.

BTW, isn't it amazing that there's been no update on Bengals.com?

Thats because Hobbs is out getting drunk and partying about how we got a great DT. He'll smash his computer when he gets home.

I think Curnutte at enquirer is murmuring that it was for "salary cap" reasons that the league stepped in.

If so, the league will need to break that down nice and slow for me, as the Bengals have oodles of room under the cap to absorb the salary, and the Lions can't realistically have been the issue as they took salary back with Bodden.

Something is way the f**k off here.

Curnutte:

"The NFL nixed the trade today of Lions defensive tackle Shaun Rogers to the Bengals for two draft picks because it ran afoul of league salary-cap rules, but the Bengals’ attempt to land a dominant inside player showed that they were attempting to move their defense in a new direction.

The Bengals had agreed to trade third- and fifth-round picks to Detroit in April’s draft in exchange for Rogers, who plays at more than 360 pounds and had seven sacks among his 66 tackles in 2007.

Having fielded the 28th, 30th and 27th-ranked defenses the past three seasons, the Bengals were party to more than one move today – the first day of veteran free agency – that showed they wanted to elevate their performance on that side of the ball.

Besides trying to get Rogers, who would have anchored a projected new three-lineman defense, the Bengals let starting free safety Madieu Williams walk for a six-year deal with the Vikings and were prepared to watch end Justin Smith sign with either the 49ers or join Williams in Minnesota.

Smith took a helicopter ride with 49ers head coach Mike Nolan during his visit and went out to dinner with coaches today night. If he didn’t sign with San Francisco, Smith was expected to hop a flight to Minnesota for a visit.

The Bengals confirmed nothing today, even as reports swirled nationally that Lions officials had said they’d traded Rogers to the Bengals for third- and fifth-round picks in April’s draft. The Bengals have the 77th overall pick in Round 3 but are expecting to gain compensatory draft picks in the third and fifth rounds for 2007 free agent defections.

Kennard McGuire, Rogers’ agent, told The Enquirer in an e-mail this afternoon that Rogers had been traded to the Bengals.

Neither the Bengals nor Lions backed out. The league stepped in to prevent the trade.

Yeah. Nice and slow. As if to a particularly dumb child. That's what I will need the NFL to do in terms of explaining how salary cap rules f**ked up the Bengals sending a 3rd and 5th to the Lions but somehow salary cap was perfectly fine with a 3rd and return salary in the form of Bodden.

Again, salary cap shouldn't have been an issue from Cincy, right? We have ample room under the cap, no?

What am I missing here?

In some ways this is why im really starting to hate the NFL nothing to me makes sense anymore, and its real hard to get excited about ur team when they just lose out anyways. So here we are again guys back to having nothing and losing the players that we did have but gaining nothing back. Now they better go after some big time LB or DE.

In some ways this is why im really starting to hate the NFL nothing to me makes sense anymore, and its real hard to get excited about ur team when they just lose out anyways. So here we are again guys back to having nothing and losing the players that we did have but gaining nothing back.

I hear ya dude. I'm about to say screw the NFL for good and just stick to AFL football. The steroid controversy aint got nothing on the amount of corruption in the NFL front offices.