The Rodgers Trade is off

Kazkal

ROGERS TRADE OFF

The trade between the Lions and the Bengals for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is apparently off.

According to Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News, the deal was not consummated and the Lions will be looking to send Rogers elsewhere. The two teams had agreed that Rogers would head to the Bengals for a third-round and a fifth-round pick.

In our view, that's not bad news for the Bengals. Maybe it means that someone within the organization raised an alarm about the 2007 allegations against Rogers regarding his conduct in a strip club. Though he wasn't charged, is that really the kind of guy that the team should be signing giving its recent history of struggles with off-field issues?

PFT

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

ROGERS TRADE OFF

The trade between the Lions and the Bengals for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers is apparently off.

According to Mike O'Hara of the Detroit News, the deal was not consummated and the Lions will be looking to send Rogers elsewhere. The two teams had agreed that Rogers would head to the Bengals for a third-round and a fifth-round pick.

In our view, that's not bad news for the Bengals. Maybe it means that someone within the organization raised an alarm about the 2007 allegations against Rogers regarding his conduct in a strip club. Though he wasn't charged, is that really the kind of guy that the team should be signing giving its recent history of struggles with off-field issues?

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

....if i say it enough it must be true...

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

i don't trust PFT

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ORTS01/80229042

UPDATED AT 8:19 P.M.

Big Baby was the big news Friday as the Lions traded Shaun Rogers to Cincinnati – or maybe not.

Advertisement

The Lions had a deal with the Bengals for third- and fifth-round draft picks. They confirmed it. The Bengals didn’t, though their official Web site reported it, as did numerous media outlets.

But late Friday night, sources said the deal might not go through, and one source said the Lions were working on a deal with Cleveland.

The Lions had been listening to trade offers for the immensely talented but often underachieving defensive tackle, and they were working on moving him the first day teams could begin trading and signing free agents.

Rogers is due a $1 million roster bonus today. Rogers has three years left on his deal, with base salaries of $4.25 million this year, $5.25 million in 2009 and $7 million in 2010.

They had been listening to trade offers for Rogers and completed a deal today when teams were allowed to start trading. Rogers would have been due a $1 million bonus if he were on the Lions roster Saturday.

Rogers was a second-round pick in 2001, part of president Matt Millen’s first draft class.

He is immensely talented and has been outstanding at times. He has gone to two Pro Bowls.

But he has not made the expected impact at other times. His health, conditioning and work ethic have been issues.

His agent, Kennard McGuire, said Monday that he would welcome a trade.

“I truly believe a change of scenery would be the best thing for him because I truly believe he’s capable of being one of the best of the best at the position,” McGuire said. “I truly believe he’s someone that’s truly capable of redefining what that position is about, and a change of scenery may be just the right recipe for that to happen.”

The Detroit News article:

The Detroit Lions' trade of nose tackle Shaun Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals was unraveling Friday evening, hours after an announcement that the teams had agreed on a deal.

Originally, the Lions confirmed reports that Rogers was traded to the Bengals in exchange for Cincinnati's third- and fifth-round picks in the April draft. The Bengals' official Web site posted details of the trade under the headline "Big Deal for Big Man," calling it "one of their biggest deals in history."

However, league sources said later Friday that the trade was not consummated, and that the Lions would be looking to trade Rogers to another team.

There was no comment from Lions officials. Earlier in the day, after the trade had been announced by the Lions, reporters were told that coach Rod Marinelli and president Matt Millen would not be available for comment.

Curnutte confirms...

Friday, February 29, 2008

Rogers deal off?

The Bengals' trade this afternoon with the Lions for defensive tackle Shaun Rogers, confirmed by Rogers' agent, now appears to be falling apart.

Neither the Bengals nor the Lions would confirm the trade, though the Lions told the Detroit News before 4 p.m. that it was official.

Bengals public relations director Jack Brennan emphasized in a call to The Enquirer that widespread reporting of the trade did not come from the Bengals.

The issues appear to be differences on compensation -- initial information was the Bengals would give the Lions third- and fifth-round picks in April's draft -- and knowledge of an incident involving Rogers and a dancer at a strip club last year.

It would be bad enough to get outbid at the last moment ala' Sapp, but to get outbid by our hated in-state rivals would be too much! :angry:

I don't consider a 2nd and a 5th an unreasonable counter-offer for that guy.

Hell, it'd be worth it just to keep him out of Cleveland's hands. But who knows what's really going on. It could be Mikey, it could be the Fords, it could be Millen, it could be Rogers, it could be 31 other teams...hell, it could be space aliens. We'll just have to wait and see.

But damn this sucks.

I don't consider a 2nd and a 5th an unreasonable counter-offer for that guy.

Hell, it'd be worth it just to keep him out of Cleveland's hands. But who knows what's really going on. It could be Mikey, it could be the Fords, it could be Millen, it could be Rogers, it could be 31 other teams...hell, it could be space aliens. We'll just have to wait and see.

But damn this sucks.

Mikey, space aliens, what's the dif? <_<

Rogers deal is in limbo

by Tom Kowalski

Friday February 29, 2008, 8:25 PM

According to league sources, the Shaun Rogers trade has not been improved yet. While it's still possible the deal will go through -- sending Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals for a third- and fifth-round draft pick -- it has not be finalized.

What makes the situation even more intriguing is that a source close to the situation said there is another team ready to make an offer to the Lions if the trade to the Bengals does not go through. That team's identity isn't known at this time.

I thought this deal was official? Nothing good will ever happen to the Bengals. I WILL HATE THE TEAM THAT GETS ROGERS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND THE LIONS! Now I'm about to go jump out a window.

Rogers deal is in limbo

by Tom Kowalski

According to league sources, the Shaun Rogers trade has not been improved yet. While it's still possible the deal will go through -- sending Rogers to the Cincinnati Bengals for a third- and fifth-round draft pick -- it has not be finalized.

What makes the situation even more intriguing is that a source close to the situation said there is another team ready to make an offer to the Lions if the trade to the Bengals does not go through. That team's identity isn't known at this time.

I assume that's meant to read "approved" not improved.

God if it's the Clowns I don't know that I can ever root for the bungles again. How can you lose such a valuable player to your biggest rival? <_<

Rogers deal is in limbo

by Tom Kowalski

That makes it sound like the holdup is on the Bengals' end. :angry:

What, does Mikey have to sleep on it again??? :blowup2:

(Note the above is sheer speculation for entertainment purposes only.)