Boxing vs UFC debate

BengalszoneBilly

I think Joe settled the matter here against this snobbish boxing promoter. Boxing is dead. Kimbo Slice would butcher ANY boxer who was fool enough to get in the octagon with him! Just like he did former boxer Ray Mercer. What a joke that was. A lowly street fighter in his 1st professional bout making a boxer his bitch. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

the great boxers of old are gone. the talented heavyweights which was boxing bread and butter no longer exist. boxing has no one but it's self to blame. corrupt promoters, judges and refs, watered down title holders. you name it boxing screwed it up. i mean there even talk about a tyson vs holyfield 3 what a joke. that just shows how desperate boxing is getting. i think once mayweather leaves or retires is over for boxing. theres talk about mayweather trying the mma. the mma is just a better product, more exciting fights. as for kimbo he is one mean dude. i would like to see him competition be a little better than a has been boxer and, a has been 44 year old. also i would like to see him take his game to the big boys of the ufc. kimbo's next fight should be against a proven veteran of the mma.

Well it took me awhile to find this thread... Sorry.

I guess the debate is over, Joe Rogan says so!.... Joe Rogan is a schmuck! Hundreds of Thousands of UFC fans will agree with me on that. LMAO at the Rear Naked Choke comment, BTW TJ Jackson... UFC is nothing but a fad. Joe couldn't be further from the truth when he said there will be no more famous boxers... Listen, I'm a fan of UFC, I watch the fights about every month. I have a pretty fair amount of knowledge when it comes to the fighters in the world of MMA... My opionion is based on my experiences and my judgement. MMA fighter do not have any skills with their hands. If a guy like Chuck Liddell where to get in any ring with a boxer, he'd get KO'd. He doesn't have the same level of skill as a boxer when standing, therefore, the boxer would have the upper-hand... Beleive me, most UFC fighters want to win a fight standing, especially Chuck. The figters always claim (after a decision) that they wanted to stand and "GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANTED TO SEE" and that's a KO. Only boxing hand-to-hand or a lucky kick will garuntee that.

Anyways. Billy are you SERIOUS? Kimbo slice would "butcher any boxer" because he beat up and old washed up Ray Mercer? Who do you think Mercer is anyway? Remember my ORIGINAL topic? I said a TOP RANKED boxer. Not an old, out-of-shape Mercer against one of the best street fighters in America. Kimbo is definitely a slugger, but not unbeatable. Check out youtube, he's been beaten... Badly. Kimbo wouldn't stand a chance against a Fedor Emilinanko (who is the #1 MMA fighter in the world, not a UFC fighter) or another guy like Randy Couture, ect. because Kimbo isn't a professional boxer... If he were to train strictly in Boxing and come up through the ranks, get about 30 fights under his belt, who knows??? Kimbo is a beast, but a guy like Klitscho would put a couple steel hammers down and the fight would be over... We'll never see it though because No UFC fighter is gonna make $20 million for a single fight like boxers do!

A guy like Floyd Mayweather (with 6-12 months training in jui-jitsu) would tattoo an MMA fighter with punches, in any ring. He would land so many blows, it would be ridiculous... Although I don't think Kimbo will do very good in the octagon, he's the closest thing that us boxing fans have to a true boxer in the MMA world. Check out Kimbo's fights on youtube, they're real! No rolling around on the ground, no kicking. True toe-to-toe, man-to-man fighting... All I can say about the debate is that we'll wait and see.

the great boxers of old are gone. the talented heavyweights which was boxing bread and butter no longer exist. boxing has no one but it's self to blame. corrupt promoters, judges and refs, watered down title holders. you name it boxing screwed it up. i mean there even talk about a tyson vs holyfield 3 what a joke. that just shows how desperate boxing is getting. i think once mayweather leaves or retires is over for boxing. theres talk about mayweather trying the mma. the mma is just a better product, more exciting fights. as for kimbo he is one mean dude. i would like to see him competition be a little better than a has been boxer and, a has been 44 year old. also i would like to see him take his game to the big boys of the ufc. kimbo's next fight should be against a proven veteran of the mma.

Tyson's been out of shape for awhile, I doubt there will be a Rd. 3... I can't say it wouldn't be a great matchup though. I know Holyfield wants to fight again. I would love to see Tyson, take some roids, get back into shape, and get back into the ring... That could quite possibly be the most successful ($$$) match in boxing history!

Boxing is far from dead guys, its more like a regression, or a relapse into a less perfect state. Every sport has its run, and boxing had a great run for many years! It'll be back... Don King and other promoters have hurt the image of boxing, but that doesn't mean the trainers aren't still as good if not better than ever.

Klitscho is by far, NOT watered down! The guy is basically unstoppable and perhaps the HARDEST puncher to ever compete in the sport of boxing. He's nicknamed "The Steel Hammer" for a reason. No one can beat him in the Heavyweight division. He's European, that's why boxing isn't big in America right now. Boxing is still HUGE in Europe.

LMAO at the promoters comment. "It (MMA) has nothing to do with Boxing. Just like wrestling has nothing to do with Boxing, it's another form of entertainment." Basically he stated that the UFC is a lot like WWE, which most of us boxers feel the same. Ex. Mayweathers comment in the video... I enjoy watching the UFC fights as much as I use to enjoy watching the WWF when I was a kid. Boxing is on a completely different level.

• 2 weeks later...
Boxing is far from dead guys, its more like a regression, or a relapse into a less perfect state. Every sport has its run, and boxing had a great run for many years! It'll be back... Don King and other promoters have hurt the image of boxing, but that doesn't mean the trainers aren't still as good if not better than ever.

Well put Agreen. I'm a huge boxing fan, my mma knowledge is limited to what I've seen on the UFC stuff on tv.

With a few exceptions, boxing now is dull. I blame it on Ali. He pioneered the rope-a-dope, and now turn on any boxing match and watch guys hold each other. Watch a tape of a pre-Ali fight, and you see guys moving and throwing punches.

The rope-a-dope ruined the flagship boxing weightclass, the heavyweight division. Agreen is right, Klitscho dominates and it's because he can actually jab for a whole round. Because they can hold, lean on each other, grab each other's arms, heavyweights now are huge compared to 30 40 years ago.

To save boxing I believe they should make substantive changes to the sport:

1. Use much smaller gloves. The gloves are just too big. How many times do you see a fighter land huge shots, and the other guy just walks right through it? Happens all the time, and the cumulative effect equals brain damage. Put on smaller, harder gloves, and those shots will end the fight, as they should, through cut or knockout.

Anyone remember the last fight Howard Cossel called? Larry Holmes, I believe, against Tex Cobb. Holmes just brutalized Cobb. He beat the living crap out of him, but Cobb just wouldn't go down. Howard was screaming how wrong it was, the fight should be stopped. It rightfully should have been stopped, but not by the ref. It should have been stopped by any one of the countless very hard punches Holmes landed. If he'd been wearing mma style gloves, Cobb would have only endured about a 4th of the punishment, because he would have been knocked out or TKO'd on cuts.

2. Prohibit holding. Boxing is ridiculous these days. A much less talented fighter can hold a quality guy for 5 or 6 rounds, hoping to tire him out enough to land a few good ones and steal a fight. It is so dull I often turn bad fights off.

To fix it, the first time a guy puts his arm around his opponent's shoulders or neck, warn him. The next time, deduct a point. It will stop immediately. And what you'll get is two guys throwing punches for three minutes. And if one guy can't keep up, forget it, the better man will win. This is how boxing used to be. There weren't 260 pound heavyweights because they couldn't keep up with guys who could throw for 3 minutes round after round. Marciano, in my opinion the greatest heavyweight of all time, was at his best between 185 and 187, Frazier fought his greatest fights between 205 and 209. Grabbing and holding has invaded the lower weight classes now and it is wrecking boxing. Watching mma guys shows what boxing should be. You run out of gas, you take a beating. In present day boxing, you run out of gas, you just hold the guy for the rest of the fight and get decisioned. And drive most of the spectators to give up on boxing and start watching mma.

Takedowns and submission holds are the natural counter to holding. Boxing, by it's very nature, prohibits takedowns and submissions. Thus the very effective tactic of holding should also be prohibited since there essentially is no counter for it in the rules.

LMAO at the promoters comment. "It (MMA) has nothing to do with Boxing. Just like wrestling has nothing to do with Boxing, it's another form of entertainment." Basically he stated that the UFC is a lot like WWE, which most of us boxers feel the same. Ex. Mayweathers comment in the video... I enjoy watching the UFC fights as much as I use to enjoy watching the WWF when I was a kid. Boxing is on a completely different level.

And I am LMAO at your reply. A top former boxer gets his ass handed to him by a UFC newbie in Kimbo, and you're talking s**t.

:lol:

Get a grip. :rolleyes:

And I am LMAO at your reply. A top former boxer gets his ass handed to him by a UFC newbie in Kimbo, and you're talking s**t.

:lol:

Get a grip. :rolleyes:

Billy, Kimbo is a boxer dude. He's better than Mercer (It's not 1992 anymore. Mercer was boxing 16 years ago Bill!) and Kimbo trains in Jui-Jitsu. In order to fight MMA, you must have trainning in jui jitsu. If not, it would basically be like playing a game of chess against someone who has never played... Mercer is old and washed up, he's through. You can't compare Mercer to a guy like Klitscho (the heavyweight champ), they're on two seperate levels.

I like Kimbo, he's a tough fighter with a boxers mentalily (watch his youtube videos from back in the day). His streetfights were all standing up, no kicking or grapling. He's trained in Jui-Jitsu for several months which is exactly my point. Let a top ranked (not a FORMER top ranked) boxer cross-over to MMA and train in Jui-Jitsu for 6-12 months. He'll do so much damage in the UFC, it would be ridiculous!

Kimbo's fun to watch, he'll knock a lot of people out but I'd still like to see a TOP RANKED boxer cross-over.

Well put Agreen. I'm a huge boxing fan, my mma knowledge is limited to what I've seen on the UFC stuff on tv.

With a few exceptions, boxing now is dull. I blame it on Ali. He pioneered the rope-a-dope, and now turn on any boxing match and watch guys hold each other. Watch a tape of a pre-Ali fight, and you see guys moving and throwing punches.

The rope-a-dope ruined the flagship boxing weightclass, the heavyweight division. Agreen is right, Klitscho dominates and it's because he can actually jab for a whole round. Because they can hold, lean on each other, grab each other's arms, heavyweights now are huge compared to 30 40 years ago.

To save boxing I believe they should make substantive changes to the sport:

1. Use much smaller gloves. The gloves are just too big. How many times do you see a fighter land huge shots, and the other guy just walks right through it? Happens all the time, and the cumulative effect equals brain damage. Put on smaller, harder gloves, and those shots will end the fight, as they should, through cut or knockout.

Anyone remember the last fight Howard Cossel called? Larry Holmes, I believe, against Tex Cobb. Holmes just brutalized Cobb. He beat the living crap out of him, but Cobb just wouldn't go down. Howard was screaming how wrong it was, the fight should be stopped. It rightfully should have been stopped, but not by the ref. It should have been stopped by any one of the countless very hard punches Holmes landed. If he'd been wearing mma style gloves, Cobb would have only endured about a 4th of the punishment, because he would have been knocked out or TKO'd on cuts.

2. Prohibit holding. Boxing is ridiculous these days. A much less talented fighter can hold a quality guy for 5 or 6 rounds, hoping to tire him out enough to land a few good ones and steal a fight. It is so dull I often turn bad fights off.

To fix it, the first time a guy puts his arm around his opponent's shoulders or neck, warn him. The next time, deduct a point. It will stop immediately. And what you'll get is two guys throwing punches for three minutes. And if one guy can't keep up, forget it, the better man will win. This is how boxing used to be. There weren't 260 pound heavyweights because they couldn't keep up with guys who could throw for 3 minutes round after round. Marciano, in my opinion the greatest heavyweight of all time, was at his best between 185 and 187, Frazier fought his greatest fights between 205 and 209. Grabbing and holding has invaded the lower weight classes now and it is wrecking boxing. Watching mma guys shows what boxing should be. You run out of gas, you take a beating. In present day boxing, you run out of gas, you just hold the guy for the rest of the fight and get decisioned. And drive most of the spectators to give up on boxing and start watching mma.

Takedowns and submission holds are the natural counter to holding. Boxing, by it's very nature, prohibits takedowns and submissions. Thus the very effective tactic of holding should also be prohibited since there essentially is no counter for it in the rules.

Although I disagree with a lot of what your saying, I'm a little open to some change.

First of all you think that holding should be prohibited and that there isn't a counter to holds... Well, I strongly disagree here. In boxing the only counter is using your hands. You must fight your way out of it. Here's a great clip of Holyfield vs Bowe III: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Boq2Rjm_pk8&feature=related Through all three of their fights, Holyfield held Bowe because he was the smaller fighter. It worked for Holyfield in Holyfield vs Bowe II (You may remember this fight as the "Fan Man Fight") but not in this match. Bowe finally KO'd Holyfield (the first time Holyfield had ever lost by a KO).

Holds are a beautiful part of the sport. You can close the gap against bigger opponents and take away their jab. No one has been able to use the hold effectively against Klitscho, which is why he is so damn good.

Your other suggestion was smaller gloves, like the ones worn in UFC. You say that it may even help from guys getting pumeled to death.. Well, 10 oz gloves are pretty standard. That isn't a big glove. 8 oz gloves are also used, which is borderline crazy if you ask me. If professional boxers where to use the 4 oz gloves used in UFC, not only would they get pummeled, they very easily could kill each other! 4 oz gloves in professional boxing is insane, bottom line.

You see in the UFC, if a guy gets KO'd, that's it. End of match. Fights over. In boxing (like link above) a guy can get KO'd but he has a 10 sec count to get back up. Bowe's performance here is unbelievable. To get back up from a KO and completely turn the tide, is remarkable... With 4 oz gloves, your not getting back up.

Here's my opinion on making the sport better: 10 oz gloves should be standard, nothing heavier (8 oz would be okay for some fights excluding heavyweight). Holding should be limited if the guys aren't working to get out of the hold and purely for offensive strategy not defense. This is a judgement call and it's on the official. Mills Lane is gone. Boxing needs better officials, not changes to the rules... Oh, and banish Don King.

I give props to guys like Anderson Silva and George St. Pierre. IMO, they have been most impressive in the octagon. I still don't think they could handle a good kiss on the chin from a great boxer though.

MMA a fad ok you can believe that if you like but its not true. MMA is here to stay. striking is much much more that just throwing punches you have to know how to use your, knees, elbow, kicks. then check the facts, boxers, kickboxers, karate, basically one dimensional fighters. come to MMA only to get knocked out tapped out or they just plain quit. MMA fighter are so much more skilled in all around fighting it not even close. they only way a boxer would win is in a boxing match that's it take away the boxing rules they would get severely owned. i like boxing heck i even used to box at the local rec center when i was a teenager. it is simple the fight game has evolved and people would rather see the brutal bloody MMA then they would to people just throwing punches.

Holds are a beautiful part of the sport.
Are they really beautiful to a purist like yourself? Because to a regular fan like me, watching two guys holding each other is dull. The sport is called boxing, not grappling. Make them box.

If professional boxers where to use the 4 oz gloves used in UFC, not only would they get pummeled, they very easily could kill each other!
I don't think this would happen. In the bare knuckle days guys fought 50 and 60 round fights.

You see in the UFC, if a guy gets KO'd, that's it. End of match. Fights over. In boxing (like link above) a guy can get KO'd but he has a 10 sec count to get back up.
Agreen, that is exactly the problem. The long term effects of getting repeatedly concussed during a fight add up to punch drunk fighters. Heard Evander Holyfield speak lately? He's all mush-mouthed and everything is slurred. Put MMA gloves on and guys will go down and stay down. One concussion per customer.

Bowe's performance here is unbelievable. To get back up from a KO and completely turn the tide, is remarkable... With 4 oz gloves, your not getting back up.
That's what I want. For a guy not to get back up. Because all he's going to do is hold, lean on the guy, grab, then look for a lucky one to win on. Or get knocked down a few more times so he can produce a brain ct scan that looks like something Salvador Dali would come up with. I can distill my belief down to this: Once a fighter dominates his opponent in such a way that he knocks him down, that should be it. Writing this has made me come up with one more change. No standing 8 count. And you don't get to ten. You get to 4. Not up by 4, you're out. The instant you get up, you better be able to defend yourself, because boxing, like the UFC, should do away with the neutral corner. The result: more exciting, shorter fights.

Mills Lane is gone.
And that is a pity. Mills was great. And I believe he would endorse all the changes I'm proposing.

Holds are a beautiful part of the sport.
Are they really beautiful to a purist like yourself? Because to a regular fan like me, watching two guys holding each other is dull. The sport is called boxing, not grappling. Make them box.

If professional boxers where to use the 4 oz gloves used in UFC, not only would they get pummeled, they very easily could kill each other!
I don't think this would happen. In the bare knuckle days guys fought 50 and 60 round fights.

You see in the UFC, if a guy gets KO'd, that's it. End of match. Fights over. In boxing (like link above) a guy can get KO'd but he has a 10 sec count to get back up.
Agreen, that is exactly the problem. The long term effects of getting repeatedly concussed during a fight add up to punch drunk fighters. Heard Evander Holyfield speak lately? He's all mush-mouthed and everything is slurred. Put MMA gloves on and guys will go down and stay down. One concussion per customer.

Bowe's performance here is unbelievable. To get back up from a KO and completely turn the tide, is remarkable... With 4 oz gloves, your not getting back up.
That's what I want. For a guy not to get back up. Because all he's going to do is hold, lean on the guy, grab, then look for a lucky one to win on. Or get knocked down a few more times so he can produce a brain ct scan that looks like something Salvador Dali would come up with. I can distill my belief down to this: Once a fighter dominates his opponent in such a way that he knocks him down, that should be it. Writing this has made me come up with one more change. No standing 8 count. And you don't get to ten. You get to 4. Not up by 4, you're out. The instant you get up, you better be able to defend yourself, because boxing, like the UFC, should do away with the neutral corner. The result: more exciting, shorter fights.

Mills Lane is gone.
And that is a pity. Mills was great. And I believe he would endorse all the changes I'm proposing.

Who cares about Holyfield and how he talks. I want to see fights, if he wants to come back and fight Tyson, make it happen. Now your starting to come across as a conservative or something. I highly doubt Mills would agree with you... If a guy wants to Box and get KO'd several times thats his decision. If he wants multiple concussions that could severly damage his brain, its on him.

For me, I love the art and science of a fight just as much as I enjoy watching a guy get KO'd. Mayweather is one the best fighters of all-time because he understands the science and beauty of defense.

Boxing has been the same for many years. The greeks didn't use steroids, neither did the bare knuckle guys. That's why they could go 50 rounds. They didn't have the power or the scientific knowledge of fighting.

There's nothing wrong with the rules of boxing. It has regressed plain and simple... One of the stupidest things I've ever seen typed here was the comment about "there will never be another big name in boxing". That's like saying the NHL will never produce players like Gretszky agian.. Well, there will be and there already is! Boxing is the same. It will produce big name fighters again.

Believe me, I do not like excessive holding either. I guess you didn't read my post... Its a judgement call the official/referee has to make. Add a new point of emphasis to the rules don't change them. Holding should be used offensively (Just like Holyfield does in the video, as well as the tactic Ali perfected) and not neccesarily for defensive purposes.

I don't know about you, you must watch a lot of UFC, but I love watching two men, two-to-two going the distance of 12 rounds... I'm not saying I can watch any fight that goes 12. But if the fighters are puttin in work, nothing compares.

MMA a fad ok you can believe that if you like but its not true. MMA is here to stay. striking is much much more that just throwing punches you have to know how to use your, knees, elbow, kicks. then check the facts, boxers, kickboxers, karate, basically one dimensional fighters. come to MMA only to get knocked out tapped out or they just plain quit. MMA fighter are so much more skilled in all around fighting it not even close. they only way a boxer would win is in a boxing match that's it take away the boxing rules they would get severely owned. i like boxing heck i even used to box at the local rec center when i was a teenager. it is simple the fight game has evolved and people would rather see the brutal bloody MMA then they would to people just throwing punches.

Dude, I know a lot about fighting, maybe more than anyone here. I'm not saying that a Boxer could enter the octagon without trainning in MMA, that would be foolish... I can't understand your writing either, but I think you say something about karate and how they get KO"d. Well, Anderson Silva, George St. Pierre, Chuck Lidell and other UFC fighters have trained in Kyoshukin Karate so do your research and holla back.

The one and only guy that I don't think a boxer could beat is Fedor. Fedor is the most dangerous guy on the planet pound for pound. He's not even a UFC fighter. He said "You would have to be a fool to sign a contract with the UFC". Yeah the UFC is awesome, but the fighters aren't making anything near what professional boxers make. Why is that Central?

Dude, I know a lot about fighting, maybe more than anyone here. I'm not saying that a Boxer could enter the octagon without trainning in MMA, that would be foolish... I can't understand your writing either, but I think you say something about karate and how they get KO"d. Well, Anderson Silva, George St. Pierre, Chuck Lidell and other UFC fighters have trained in Kyoshukin Karate so do your research and holla back.

The one and only guy that I don't think a boxer could beat is Fedor. Fedor is the most dangerous guy on the planet pound for pound. He's not even a UFC fighter. He said "You would have to be a fool to sign a contract with the UFC". Yeah the UFC is awesome, but the fighters aren't making anything near what professional boxers make. Why is that Central?

sorry my grammar is not that good. my point is that when one dimensional fighters try mma they get owned. you could train mayweather for a year put him in a fight with urijah faber and mayweather would would not last a min. dude don't start with personal shots. i believe that a man hiding behind a keyboard should not insult a man that he has never meet.

sorry my grammar is not that good. my point is that when one dimensional fighters try mma they get owned. you could train mayweather for a year put him in a fight with urijah faber and mayweather would would not last a min. dude don't start with personal shots. i believe that a man hiding behind a keyboard should not insult a man that he has never meet.

Agreed.

But as to the original post, Kimbo fought Mercer..hes been out of fighting for what? 10 years? And my boy the HUNTINGTON BEACH BAD BOOOOY said it pretty good, Kimbo would be destroyed against top tier fighters, he throws strong punches. Thats it. Now i'm not saying hes a bad fighter because he's not but Brock Lesner proved you need more then size and a strong punch to win in the UFC.

Agreed.

But as to the original post, Kimbo fought Mercer..hes been out of fighting for what? 10 years? And my boy the HUNTINGTON BEACH BAD BOOOOY said it pretty good, Kimbo would be destroyed against top tier fighters, he throws strong punches. Thats it. Now i'm not saying hes a bad fighter because he's not but Brock Lesner proved you need more then size and a strong punch to win in the UFC.

i agree kimbo is a mean dude but, that does not mean he could hang with the big boys of mma. there a lot of guys in the mma who would punish him. he is a puncher and thats it he has a long way to go before he can compete with the best.

Whatever dude... Your whole point is blank. Everyone knows that a one dimensional fighter would get owned in a MMA fight, thanks for enlightening us.... You really think that one year isn't enough time to learn jui-jitsu? How long do you think it would take to train in jui-jitsu?

Yes, Mayweather could train for 1 year in jui-jitsu, step in the ring with a guy like Silva, St. Pierre or Faber and he would get owned... That's not how it works (IE. Kimbo). You must get a few good matches, wins or loses, under your belt first for that ring experience. Kimbo isn't ready to step in the ring with your Tito's and Rampages and Coutures. These guys have 30-40 professional fights experience.

Its going to take some time for someone to crossover, it may never happen. Why would Mayweather crossover and get paid 200k for one fight when he can make 20-40 mil for a bout in boxing? The UFC needs to put their money where their mouth is. Pay Mayweather $50 million for one fight and give him 1.5 yr to get ready. He'll train jui-jitsu for at least 6 months before his first professional MMA fight. He'll need at least 5 matches before facing the top ranked UFC fighter in his weight class.

Agreed.

i agree kimbo is a mean dude but, that does not mean he could hang with the big boys of mma. there a lot of guys in the mma who would punish him. he is a puncher and thats it he has a long way to go before he can compete with the best.

There you go Cincy, you answered Thurman... "HE HAS A LONG WAY TO GO". Yes there ARE a lot of guys who would punish Kimbo. Kimbo has what 2 fights? Your top fighters have at least 25. Tito is so stupid for saying that. Someone with his knowledge in fighting should be able to comprehend what Kimbo's trainers are trying to do... They are building his confidence as well as gaining his experience in the ring. Give Kimbo a couple years. If he doesn't get hurt, he will absolutely demolish Tito's p***y ass. Tito's the biggest puss in UFC.

Brock Lesner, LMAO!!!

Whatever dude... Your whole point is blank. Everyone knows that a one dimensional fighter would get owned in a MMA fight, thanks for enlightening us.... You really think that one year isn't enough time to learn jui-jitsu? How long do you think it would take to train in jui-jitsu?

Yes, Mayweather could train for 1 year in jui-jitsu, step in the ring with a guy like Silva, St. Pierre or Faber and he would get owned... That's not how it works (IE. Kimbo). You must get a few good matches, wins or loses, under your belt first for that ring experience. Kimbo isn't ready to step in the ring with your Tito's and Rampages and Coutures. These guys have 30-40 professional fights experience.

Its going to take some time for someone to crossover, it may never happen. Why would Mayweather crossover and get paid 200k for one fight when he can make 20-40 mil for a bout in boxing? The UFC needs to put their money where their mouth is. Pay Mayweather $50 million for one fight and give him 1.5 yr to get ready. He'll train jui-jitsu for at least 6 months before his first professional MMA fight. He'll need at least 5 matches before facing the top ranked UFC fighter in his weight class.

ok my point is blank lol whatever. yes you can learn the basics of jj in a year. to be a good mma fighter takes atleast 2 -3 years of training. i am sure you know that.

Anderson Silva, the best UFC fighter pound-for-pound has aspirations of fighting Roy Jones JR. Not in the octagon, IN A BOXING MATCH with Boxing rules!

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/03/11/and...x-roy-jones-jr/

Please Dana White, make this happen. PLEASE... Let Anderson prove to us that MMA fighters are technical too, LMAO!!!!

Seriously. What is Anderson thinking? He wouldn't make it through the first round.

Yeah the UFC is awesome, but the fighters aren't making anything near what professional boxers make. Why is that Central?

I'll take a stab at it. Because you are comparing a corporation, UFC, against a sport, boxing.

And between the two, the corporation is winning. In 2007, of the 15 biggest pay-per-view events in 2007, the UFC had 8, boxing had 4, and WWE had 3. The De La Hoya - Mayweather fight was had the biggest sales of any PPV ever, by far. But there is a big dropoff after that.

UFC meanwhile has 12-14 pay per view events a year that have 500,000 to 700,000 buys each. Boxing has a few that do good numbers then a few that do 30,000 to 60,000 buys. UFC also has a weekly reality show and a weekly show on Spike that shows fights they've already made huge money from when they broadcast them on pay per view.

The UFC stars make a couple million for a big fight. The very upper echelon in boxing? 10 or 20 times that. But the pay per view model is killing boxing while it enriches a very few at the top. UFC has the large undercarriage of it's reality show and it's weekly Spike lineup of fights to create stars. These stars get into the public consciousness, then they are able to draw buyers to Pay Per View events. It is sort of a self-perpetuating money machine. The fighters want more of what is a very large pie, but with UFC being the only game in town, they are having a tough go of it. Competitors are springing up and trying to get going.

To answer your question as to why the top few boxers make much more money than the top MMA guys, it is because they ply their trade within the framework of two very different business models. There is no doubt that MMA produces more revenue in a given year than all of boxing.

Then there is this:

http://aco.ohio.gov/pdf/events.pdf

I've been attending live boxing cards in central Ohio for 25 years. I go to the Ohio Athletic Commission's web site to see the cards they have licensed, since the cards are generally so poorly promoted this is the only way to find out what's happening. The above link shows the current lineup of fight cards in Ohio. 16 MMA events, 2 boxing events. And the one in Columbus is some kind of fundraiser for Diabetes that costs eighteen hundred bucks for a table of 8, so I'm not going. That poster who said MMA will swallow boxing? I'd say it's partway through the digestive process.

And that's why I'd like to see boxing adopt the changes I listed in the previous post. I love the sport, and to thrive it needs to change.