If Gholston, Dorsey, Long, and Ellis Are off the Board Who Is the Pick

kurgan74

Your Choice  

15 members have voted

1. 1. If The Big 4 DL Are Gone Who Would You Take?

• Phillip Merling
    • Quentin Groves
    • Derrick Harvey
    • Keith Rivers
    • Kentwan Barber
    • Other

Assuming J.Long is also gone, it's a no-brainer. Ryan Clady (OT-Boise St). If he's gone, trade down.

Our best hope is for a CB or LB to zoom up the boards into the top 6, and / or have Ryan and Brohm / Henne really shine between now and April 26th.

There has been some smoke that Clady is going to drop, Williams from Vandy and Otah from Pitt are rated ahead of him on some draft sites. There have been some character concerns.

Brohm threw very well yesterday. I think Ryan goes #1 and Brohm goes to either Atlanta or Baltimore. I also think that New England or the NY Jets draft a corner/safety before all things are said and done.

There has been some smoke that Clady is going to drop, Williams from Vandy and Otah from Pitt are rated ahead of him on some draft sites. There have been some character concerns.

Brohm threw very well yesterday. I think Ryan goes #1 and Brohm goes to either Atlanta or Baltimore. I also think that New England or the NY Jets draft a corner/safety before all things are said and done.

That still leaves us 1 short (Ryan, Brohm, CB/S, Long, Long, Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston = 8). We still need someone to take a RB or reach.

A friend of mine from Boston said there is a huge groundswell of support from the fans for Penn State's Dan Connor - :blink: - a "Patriots" kind of guy during a week LB year.

Here's what needs to happen.

Miami needs to draft Ryan, St. Louis will follow that up with Jake Long, Atlanta needs to draft McFadden he fills a need and would be very successful in the Atlanta scheme (provided they keep the same format offensively), Oakland will then take either Dorsey or Ellis, KC would take either Chris Long or The Williams kid from Vandy , The Jets will take Long if he's available if not then this could be a OT, DT, CB, S, RB whoever comes out with the top grade (anything but a DT would work) so lets say they take the #2 OT (Again provided Long isn't available), NE takes the top rated CB, Baltimore takes Brohm, and we are left with Ellis or Dorsey whichever gets past Oakland.

Danger spots: KC, NY Jets, NE (though they are more likely to take a guy they could play at OLB like Gholston), Baltimore. Any of those could take a DT. Oakland however could take an OT, RB, or a WR provided that one really WOWs them. This will be one exciting Top 10 and I firmly believe that one of the top D-Linemen will be there at 9.

Here's what needs to happen.

Miami needs to draft Ryan, St. Louis will follow that up with Jake Long, Atlanta needs to draft McFadden he fills a need and would be very successful in the Atlanta scheme (provided they keep the same format offensively), Oakland will then take either Dorsey or Ellis, KC would take either Chris Long or The Williams kid from Vandy , The Jets will take Long if he's available if not then this could be a OT, DT, CB, S, RB whoever comes out with the top grade (anything but a DT would work) so lets say they take the #2 OT (Again provided Long isn't available), NE takes the top rated CB, Baltimore takes Brohm, and we are left with Ellis or Dorsey whichever gets past Oakland.

Danger spots: KC, NY Jets, NE (though they are more likely to take a guy they could play at OLB like Gholston), Baltimore. Any of those could take a DT. Oakland however could take an OT, RB, or a WR provided that one really WOWs them. This will be one exciting Top 10 and I firmly believe that one of the top D-Linemen will be there at 9.

I think you're right. I do think that Ellis, Dorsey, or Gholston will be there at 9. I think the 2 spots for last minute change could come from NE trading down and the Raiders doing something stupid.

From watching some of the combine I think the best fit for the Bengals far and away would be Gholston. One of the announcers even compared him to Shawn Merrimen. One guy I did see that I also began to like, but am not sure where he will fall in place during the draft, is Curtis Lofton. Lofton seems to have the right measureables that the Bengals need. Laws from Notre Dame seems to be making a pretty good name for himself also with he performance at the combine.

If the big 4 D players are gone - Jake Long or Ryan Clady. If at #9 one of those players isn't available we'll be desperately unlucky. You can never have enough top quality Linemen. I'd prefer defense but taking a great O-line prosepct will do me. I'd prefer to do that than reach at#9. If we're in a position where all those players are gone then most likely one of DMAC or Ryan will still be on the board. This would be great for us in terms of trading down.

If none of the above works out then the Gods hate us and I'd go with Rivers of Phillips if pushed to pick at 9.

If the big 4 D players are gone - Jake Long or Ryan Clady.

Long won't be there. Clady appears to be slipping but there are some other o-linemen rising, like Otah.

That said, watching the Bengals take an offensive lineman at 9 would be...frustrating. I see the need, especially if they can't get a long-term deal nailed down with Stacy, but I can't say I like the idea.

watching the Bengals take an offensive lineman at 9 would be...frustrating. I see the need, especially if they can't get a long-term deal nailed down with Stacy, but I can't say I like the idea.

Would it be correct to assume you'd rather see them take a OT than a QB? S? Long snapper? :-)

(ie, I'm guessing selection of an OT isn't your worst case scenario)

If the big 4 D players are gone - Jake Long or Ryan Clady.

Long won't be there. Clady appears to be slipping but there are some other o-linemen rising, like Otah.

That said, watching the Bengals take an offensive lineman at 9 would be...frustrating. I see the need, especially if they can't get a long-term deal nailed down with Stacy, but I can't say I like the idea.

I agree. I'd like to take an O-lineman later, especially as it seems deeper than usual this year. However, I'd rather take an O-lineman with a genuine talent than settle for a second tier guy that high. Diiificult to mess up with an O-lineman, unless you're the Raiders. It wouldn't be the end of the world though, even if we sign Stacy long term. Willie looks to be on his last legs. He's done it year in and year out and it looks like it's catching upto him.

I could live with Rivers or Philips if pushed though as both would add quality and depth to two areas that aren't brimming with promise anymore.

watching the Bengals take an offensive lineman at 9 would be...frustrating. I see the need, especially if they can't get a long-term deal nailed down with Stacy, but I can't say I like the idea.

Would it be correct to assume you'd rather see them take a OT than a QB? S? Long snapper? :-)

(ie, I'm guessing selection of an OT isn't your worst case scenario)

Probably not, but it's an option I just can't work up a lot of affection for. I'd rather them take Rivers or Phillips or roll the dice on a guy like Balmer.

I really want to see what happens to Balmer's stock over the weeks. Kiper has him going at #10 overall. He seems like the 3-4 DE we DONT have on the team. Tweener OLBs/DEs should be available later.

Balmer didn't do anything to help himself at the combine - he's a definite reach at #9. Alot of people are high on Derrick Harvey, where I would prefer the "Q", Quentin Groves (4.54 forty at 257 lbs, with 37 reps at 225lbs!!! That's SICK!!!) :wacko:

Of course then there's that whole NT issue....

Okam and Rubin (both 340+ NTs) will probably still be there at the middle, and maybe the end of the 3rd

Ahhh - what do they know.

Groves played with a broken foot most of this year.

LSU coaches moved him to OLB just so he could get on the field.

Anyway, my main point is: In a 3-4, you need a STUD DE/OLB hybrid. That was supposed to be Pollack, but he pissed off the football gods.

Also, there aren't many players in this draft capable of playing NT - and several teams (Cleveland, San Fran, St. Louis) in need of one.

Anyway, my main point is: In a 3-4, you need a STUD DE/OLB hybrid. That was supposed to be Pollack, but he pissed off the football gods.

By trying to lay a hit on Rueben Droughns!?! If that's the case, God is a bitch! :angry:

The key ro get one of the Big 4 DL may lie in the CB position.

The Bengals need to see if any cornerbacks (hopefully 1 or 2)

will be taken in the top 10. Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, Brandon Flowers,

and Leodis McKelvin are all in contention to be top 10 and a few of the teams

ahead of the Bengals such as the Chiefs, Ravens, and Patriots

could all use a solid CB.