Odell Shafted Again?

HoosierCat

Odell has to show he's forever removed that broomstick he's had sticking out of his a$$, only then will Goodell let him represent the NFL. Seriously, when someone knows the rules, had them explained repeatedly, knows that his huge income is at stake, then sticks another broomstick up his seat cushion, well no sympathy from me!

Um, where precisely are these broomsticks? What has Thurman done since getting denied last summer? As far as I know, nothing -- except comply with the terms of his suspension.

Yet he has now been (effectively if not actually) denied reinstatement again and must wait another six months for a decision. Assuming of course GOD-el deigns to make one then.

The post was entitled "shafted", as I see it, Odell has shafted himself, so thats the broomstick.

He's the one "shafting" himself, not Goodell.

Nice way to avoid the question. I ask again: what has he done since being denied reinstatement last July to justify not being reinstated now?

Well I guess I didn't understand your post, now I do. Its like the guy who gets a DUI and has to be clean for a certain time, take AAA meetings, do all the court imposed stuff. If he does all of that he gets his sentence reduced. The fact that he does nothing since the event only means he's on the road to a lesser penalty. Odell is serving his sentence, good behavior is mandatory for re-instatement.

Good enough answer?

Well I guess I didn't understand your post, now I do. Its like the guy who gets a DUI and has to be clean for a certain time, take AAA meetings, do all the court imposed stuff. If he does all of that he gets his sentence reduced. The fact that he does nothing since the event only means he's on the road to a lesser penalty. Odell is serving his sentence, good behavior is mandatory for re-instatement.

Good enough answer?

Certainly. I would just argue that he has done all that.

All things considered it seems likely that Odell will be allowed to return, and the Bengals can plan accordingly.

Well, there's the rub. You read the tea leaves and say, he'll be back. Others read the same waterlogged plant material and say, no way we can count on him being back.

Now, us fans being in the dark is nothing new and nothing to complain about. But I object to reducing the Bengals to reading tea leaves regarding Odell when they're trying to do their offseason planning.

Really, what possible excuse could there be for not simply reinstating Odell?

Well, there's the rub. You read the tea leaves and say, he'll be back. Others read the same waterlogged plant material and say, no way we can count on him being back.

No, here's the rub. Regardless of whether you think he'll be allowed to return or not the Bengals have to act in exactly the same manner. As so many have pointed out so often the Bengals have to plan for him being unavailable, and have to assume that even if he returns the odds are simply too great that he'll screw up yet again and be lost forever. So that's how you plan. At best you count on Thurman only as backup help, and if last seasons injury storm returns then you thank your lucky stars that he's available. Maybe you use him in a platoon or as the first LB off the bench at multiple positions. But I'm betting the Bengals don't consider him as a starter again unless ligaments tear, bones break, or somebody dies.

Last year when Odell was re-suspended for the season we initially didn't know the reasons. As answers slowly emerged over the summer it turned out he'd missed a couple of his mandatory AA meetings. For that sin Godell suspended him for another entire season.

Did the punishment fit the crime? To most bungle fans no, it did not. But we don't get a vote. Godell and Godell himself keeps his own council and he in his infinite wisdom felt that missing a few AA meetings was enough to warrant suspending Odell for another year.

Has Odell met all the criteria to get himself reinstated for this coming season? Who really knows at this point? The fact that he’s been allowed to work out at the stadium is a good sign but is it still possible that between now and July he could again screw up however slightly and get himself suspended again or banned outright?

Sure.

So as HoF and several others have pointed out the team can’t really count on him being here for us……yet. We’re forced to go forward as if he isn’t a part of the team. We’ll go through free agency and the draft as if Odell’s name didn’t appear on the depth chart because quite simply at this point it doesn’t.

Let’s hope he keeps his nose clean and doesn’t step on Godell’s toes again and maybe just maybe, he can wear stripes again. :bengal:

No, here's the rub. Regardless of whether you think he'll be allowed to return or not the Bengals have to act in exactly the same manner. As so many have pointed out so often the Bengals have to plan for him being unavailable, and have to assume that even if he returns the odds are simply too great that he'll screw up yet again and be lost forever. So that's how you plan. At best you count on Thurman only as backup help, and if last seasons injury storm returns then you thank your lucky stars that he's available. Maybe you use him in a platoon or as the first LB off the bench at multiple positions. But I'm betting the Bengals don't consider him as a starter again unless ligaments tear, bones break, or somebody dies.

You're getting ahead of yourself. Of course Odell will always be treated as a potential bomb -- but the Bengals can't even count on him for so much as a backup right now, since he's in this limbo of GOD-el's creation. They can't move on to the issue of just how much trust they are going to place in him, or what role he might play, or anything else, until he's let back in.

Really, what possible excuse could there be for not simply reinstating Odell?

Roger's dad had a drinking problem? Who knows? He's got a bug up his arse about it though.

Certainly looks that way, doesn't it?

Odell's back but on double secret probation or something?

He's on lifetime probation. Dude he's not on the N.E. Patriots, they're not gonna just reinstate him per NFL rules. They're gonna drag it out, likely burn the Bengals, then keep him on suspension for half the season. Just my guess. Has that right? No. IS it right? HELL no. Is it the way Roger "Patsfan4ever" Goodell abuses his power? HELL yeah.

Aww, hell yes. There it is. Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy.

How long? Not long, cause what you reap is what you sow!

I love Rage Against The Machine

Im gonna pop some Bombtrack in and get pumped!!

On Topic - If Odell gets suspended again with not a peep fram Goodell as to why then I will, I will.......not be very happy.

Then I would assume the lawsuit pressure would pick up.

I'd be angry if I were Odell. Have any of you seen someone get penalized so much for fairly minor incidents.

Lessen learned here - Drunk and crash car-Leave car, aka Briggs= no penalty. LaRussa/Huggins - DUIs then slaps on wrists. Irvins crack pipe - just say its you wife's. etc. etc

I know I dont know the whole story, but geeze.

Who DOES it screw? The Bengals - of course - who have to get through the draft and the FA period (the player planning period, you know) without knowing if one of the players is going to be available or not. They'll have to waste a draft pick or play more in free agency because they can't afford come training camp time to be down a starting-caliber linebacker. It's too late at that point...all other starting caliber players are under contract by then.

Amen to that. This is kind of setting itself up to be a repeat of last year's BS.

You're getting ahead of yourself. Of course Odell will always be treated as a potential bomb -- but the Bengals can't even count on him for so much as a backup right now, since he's in this limbo of GOD-el's creation.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from now. It's the fact that they can't count on him in ANY role because Goodell refuses to act prior to the draft or free agency.

It's a fair point, but I'm assuming Goodell's ruling that Thurman can begin working out with the team again is his way of saying that all is well as of now, and Odell can be expected back as long as nothing happens between now and training camp.

Yes, it would be nice to know OThurman's fate now so we could move on, the news from RGoodell is not all that bad...I just hope he can keep his nose clean until camp starts, if he is not reinstated then, then we know the commish has it out for him...So as of right now i don't think he got shafted yet...

It's a fair point, but I'm assuming Goodell's ruling that Thurman can begin working out with the team again is his way of saying that all is well as of now, and Odell can be expected back as long as nothing happens between now and training camp.

I'm hopeful that's the case, and also that Goodell has been more upfront with the Bengals about his intentions behind closed doors.

You're getting ahead of yourself. Of course Odell will always be treated as a potential bomb -- but the Bengals can't even count on him for so much as a backup right now, since he's in this limbo of GOD-el's creation.

Okay, I can see where you're coming from now. It's the fact that they can't count on him in ANY role because Goodell refuses to act prior to the draft or free agency.

That was my point of reference for the deal as well.

And, HoF, I guess I don't know what to expect with Goodell. The reasonable inference from allowing him to work out at the facility is that Goodell is going to let him back in training camp. But, there are certainly no assurances of that, and Goodell has shown himself to be uber-unpredictable (and perhaps even vindictive) when it comes to Odell. So, yeah, it seems like if he is clean between now and then he's back, but with Goodell, who knows? And because of that "who knows" factor, it does make it more difficult to figure out if and where to slot Thurman into the plans for 2008.

I'm guessing an overweight, alcoholic, out of shape player is going to have a hard time making an NFL roster after being out of football for two years...just my guess/opinion.

In addition to the fact that the first time he does anything remotely stupid or insurbordinate - he'll be cut. It'll take more than just a few months to get back into NFL shape, given the eye witness reports of his condition lately.

So again I say they should think of him as a UFA roster invitee who has a chance to make the squad, and not even plan on him being a part of their plans at all - anything you get from him is a bonus.

You go into the draft and FA with notion he's not on your team, period.

I'm not sure how or why this is such a hard concept to swallow here. But don't let me get in the way of Goodell conspiracies and excusing Odell for his behavior when all of the facts of his case aren't known to us.

You go into the draft and FA with notion he's not on your team, period.

Just to throw this out there and because i'm not 100% sure on it but wouldn't his $$$$ also play into that? What I mean is say he is reinstated. He gets back into decent shape and gets good enough. On the flipside you've grabbed a nice FA replacement at a costly chunk, or drafted one. But now he's back. I know with CJ you cut him you take a cap hit. Would it not be the same cutting him if he's reinstated and good enough, or even cutting another player to pay his salary?

Again i'm not sure, it just seems like maybe that would be another issue with this limbo as well.

I'm guessing an overweight, alcoholic, out of shape player is going to have a hard time making an NFL roster after being out of football for two years...just my guess/opinion.

No, Odell's down to 125 pounds from all the coke, remember? Get yer rumor right!

Good point. Marvin mentioned Thurman's weight only a few days ago and if I recall correctly it was very close to his playing weight. In addition, he suggested that by allowing Thurman to begin working out with the team now Thurman should reach or be very close to the type of base conditioning typical of all players.

Meanwhile, Kid Steakhouse keeps claiming Thurman is grossly overweight. What's that worth?

Or it could be the carrott on the stick routine.

I'm leaning towards this scenario. Until Woger stops acting like a vagina, I can't give him the benefit of the doubt.

In summary - GFY Goodell.

Yeah, this is the same guy that decided that there was no reason to keep the Spygate tapes so he had them destroyed. :wacko: