Odell Shafted Again?

HoosierCat

This from Hobson's latest:

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, spoke with encouragement Wednesday of Bengals middle linebacker Odell Thurman and said he would decide whether to reinstate him by training camp.

He also praised the club's effort at curtailing its off-field problems.

Goodell, who didn't reinstate Thurman last training camp after serving a one-year suspension for violation of the league's substance abuse policy, allowed Thurman back into the Bengals' off-season program last month. The program continues next month with the beginning of voluntary weight-room workouts and then voluntary field work in May and June.

"He's back into a structured system," Goodell said during a break in meetings at the NFL scouting combine. "He's back in the program and we want him to continue to make progress. Should he do that, we'll make a decision by training camp."

WTF? My understanding of league rules for reinstatement were that you could apply for reinstatement every 6 months, which would then be approved or not. So what does this mean? Odell's back but on double secret probation or something? No reinstatement decision until camp? That's the freaking end of July! The Bengals have decisions to make in FA & the draft. If I were Marvin or Mike Brown I would be pissed.

This is screwed up.

Odell's back but on double secret probation or something?

He's on lifetime probation. Dude he's not on the N.E. Patriots, they're not gonna just reinstate him per NFL rules. They're gonna drag it out, likely burn the Bengals, then keep him on suspension for half the season. Just my guess. Has that right? No. IS it right? HELL no. Is it the way Roger "Patsfan4ever" Goodell abuses his power? HELL yeah.

It doesn't screw Odell, really - he doesn't get paid til the real games start in September or thereabouts

Who DOES it screw? The Bengals - of course - who have to get through the draft and the FA period (the player planning period, you know) without knowing if one of the players is going to be available or not. They'll have to waste a draft pick or play more in free agency because they can't afford come training camp time to be down a starting-caliber linebacker. It's too late at that point...all other starting caliber players are under contract by then

All because God-dell can't be bothered to make a decision now after making Odell (and the Bengals) wait two years already.

Pathetic

It doesn't screw Odell, really - he doesn't get paid til the real games start in September or thereabouts

IIRC players do get paid for OTAs and minicamps -- not a lot but some pocket change. So Odell's allowed to participate, does he get paid? Is this a "double secret reinstatement" where he gets all the bennies but can be kicked back out in July? Or does he have to work for free? What about any offseason workout bonuses in his contract? Does he get those now or not, since he isn't officially reinstated? At least, I hope he's getting any money he should be getting for participating in the offseason workouts, OTAs and camps, else he is getting screwed.

Who DOES it screw? The Bengals - of course - who have to get through the draft and the FA period (the player planning period, you know) without knowing if one of the players is going to be available or not. They'll have to waste a draft pick or play more in free agency because they can't afford come training camp time to be down a starting-caliber linebacker. It's too late at that point...all other starting caliber players are under contract by then

All because God-dell can't be bothered to make a decision now after making Odell (and the Bengals) wait two years already.

Pathetic

Agreed.

I'm not defending Goodell here by any means, but if I'm Marvin Lewis this has very little impact on how I go through the draft and free agency.

It looks like he will be reinstated if he keeps clean. This is the first time we've heard the comish say anything positive about him, so that's a good sign. Just for argument's sake, though, let's say he's reinstated tomorrow. Does that really change anything? One screwup on Odell's part and he's gone yet again. If he's reinstated tomorrow, and then screws up sometime after the draft, he's gone and you've drafted as if he was on your roster. If it looks like he'll be allowed back in July, but screws up in June, then he's gone. Again, you've drafted as if he were going to be on your team. Either way, you've counted on a guy that ends up not being available.

The bottom line is that if you want to count on Odell, you've got to be willing to count on Odell whether he's reinstated now or in July. Either way, one misstep on his part is enough to land him back out of the league.

If I'm the coach, I'm going to pretend that he's not available this season, and approach everything from that perspective. Tomorrow, July, whatever...

As a side note, if the above paragraphs made no sense at all, then you'll have to forgive me. I've been sick with the flu all week (103 temp), and my wife keeps telling me that I'm not making any sense. Then again, she always says that :P

Odell's back but on double secret probation or something?

He's on lifetime probation. Dude he's not on the N.E. Patriots, they're not gonna just reinstate him per NFL rules. They're gonna drag it out, likely burn the Bengals, then keep him on suspension for half the season. Just my guess. Has that right? No. IS it right? HELL no. Is it the way Roger "Patsfan4ever" Goodell abuses his power? HELL yeah.

Aww, hell yes. There it is. Fist in the air in the land of hypocrisy.

IIRC players do get paid for OTAs and minicamps -- not a lot but some pocket change. So Odell's allowed to participate, does he get paid? Is this a "double secret reinstatement" where he gets all the bennies but can be kicked back out in July? Or does he have to work for free? What about any offseason workout bonuses in his contract? Does he get those now or not, since he isn't officially reinstated? At least, I hope he's getting any money he should be getting for participating in the offseason workouts, OTAs and camps, else he is getting screwed.

As far as I know, since he remains suspended, the terms of his contract also remain suspended, meaning whatever he does, he does not get paid for. However, as you say, it's not much money - pocket change, nowhere near the value of even a single game check, so I don't see that loss as too big a deal.

I wasn't counting this as a loss due to how little it amounted to...virtually nothing in the big picture, esp to a guy who received millions to sign

I'm not defending Goodell here by any means, but if I'm Marvin Lewis this has very little impact on how I go through the draft and free agency.

Exactly. It should have no impact for management. Us fans can dream about Odell being the tits from the first game on out and see him making a teary HOF induction speech about overcoming alcoholism in 20 years time but as of right now, he's doing some laps and stuff and still trying to get over an addiction. If the management is planning on him making a significant contribution right off the bat then they might strike oil or most likely they're clueless and we're in for another season of warm fecal matter.

It might mean we bring in three walk on LBs as camp fodder instead of two but that's it.

I wasn't counting this as a loss due to how little it amounted to...virtually nothing in the big picture, esp to a guy who received millions to sign

Remember, he was a second round pick. He didn't get millions to sign. From all reports I've read he's basically broke.

As a side note, if the above paragraphs made no sense at all, then you'll have to forgive me. I've been sick with the flu all week (103 temp), and my wife keeps telling me that I'm not making any sense. Then again, she always says that :P

First of all, get well soon!

Second of all, all Im asking is for GOD-el to play by the rules. Instead, he has created this "limbo" for Odell (which puts the Bengals in a unique class among NFL teams, many of whom have troubled players). It isn't fair to either the Bengals or Odell. And it's tough for me to say the Bengals should just not consider Odell moving forward in a year where we could be faced with taking a Dan Connor or Keith Rivers at 9. If Odell is coming back, we could spend that pick a lot more usefully, I'm betting.

Remember, he was a second round pick. He didn't get millions to sign. From all reports I've read he's basically broke.

from Bengals.com, specifically http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5328

"Thurman.....signed a five-year, $3.76 million contract that included a signing bonus of $1.7 million"

If he is broke already, the man is even dumber than I already took him for.

One should be able to "get by" on the after tax remainder of 1.7 mil PLUS his 2005 salary and (if any) incentives

Geez.

One should be able to "get by" on the after tax remainder of 1.7 mil PLUS his 2005 salary and (if any) incentives

House, car, help the family, agent, lawyers, trainers...and doubtless plenty of rounds for the house back in 05...I think you'd be surprised how fast it goes.

I still say you don't count on Odell and go into the draft and FA with the notion that he won't be available or good enough to earn a starting nod. You HAVE to do that still at this point, until Odell can prove over time that he's back and capable of playing at a high level and not falling back into alcoholism.

You just don't depend on an alcoholic, ecspecially in the pro sports world.

While I don't know about whatever rules are being skewed by Goodell and Co., IMO this team still needs upgrades at LB at 2 positions regardless.

Odell's been out of football for TWO YEARS - you just don't depend or plan on him filling a spot right now, and draft whomever is highest on your board at a position of need as always.

Brooks has been a bust so far and Jeanty is a stop gap solution who should be more of a situational pass rusher or OLB in a 3-4 front.

They could sorely use a high caliber LB or two still.

I kinda figured Goodell would take out his frustrations on Arlen Specter bitch-slapping him on someone. I had hope he would just kick a wall. I guess s**tting on Odell beyond all reason is more satisfying for him...

I still say you don't count on Odell and go into the draft and FA with the notion that he won't be available or good enough to earn a starting nod. You HAVE to do that still at this point, until Odell can prove over time that he's back and capable of playing at a high level and not falling back into alcoholism.

You just don't depend on an alcoholic, ecspecially in the pro sports world.

While I don't know about whatever rules are being skewed by Goodell and Co., IMO this team still needs upgrades at LB at 2 positions regardless.

Odell's been out of football for TWO YEARS - you just don't depend or plan on him filling a spot right now, and draft whomever is highest on your board at a position of need as always.

Brooks has been a bust so far and Jeanty is a stop gap solution who should be more of a situational pass rusher or OLB in a 3-4 front.

They could sorely use a high caliber LB or two still.

Odell has to show he's forever removed that broomstick he's had sticking out of his a$$, only then will Goodell let him represent the NFL. Seriously, when someone knows the rules, had them explained repeatedly, knows that his huge income is at stake, then sticks another broomstick up his seat cushion, well no sympathy from me!

Odell has to show he's forever removed that broomstick he's had sticking out of his a$$, only then will Goodell let him represent the NFL. Seriously, when someone knows the rules, had them explained repeatedly, knows that his huge income is at stake, then sticks another broomstick up his seat cushion, well no sympathy from me!

Um, where precisely are these broomsticks? What has Thurman done since getting denied last summer? As far as I know, nothing -- except comply with the terms of his suspension.

Yet he has now been (effectively if not actually) denied reinstatement again and must wait another six months for a decision. Assuming of course GOD-el deigns to make one then.

Um, where precisely are these broomsticks? What has Thurman done since getting denied last summer? As far as I know, nothing -- except comply with the terms of his suspension.

Yet he has now been (effectively if not actually) denied reinstatement again and must wait another six months for a decision. Assuming of course GOD-el deigns to make one then.

The post was entitled "shafted", as I see it, Odell has shafted himself, so thats the broomstick.

He's the one "shafting" himself, not Goodell.

The post was entitled "shafted", as I see it, Odell has shafted himself, so thats the broomstick.

He's the one "shafting" himself, not Goodell.

Nice way to avoid the question. I ask again: what has he done since being denied reinstatement last July to justify not being reinstated now?

I ask again: what has he done since being denied reinstatement last July to justify not being reinstated now?

Perhaps I'm looking at this issue from the wrong angle, but wasn't it always reasonable to assume that Goodell would hold Thurman's feet to the fire for as long as possible?

Personally, instead of another shafting I see two major positives. The first is Odell being allowed back on the property to train and be coached.....a fairly important consideration when you remind yourself that whenever Thurman returns to the fold he'll have a new position coach, a new DC, and quite possibly a new scheme.

Second, Goodell praised the changes the Bengals had made....prompting me to nearly choke on the gum I had swallowed.

All things considered it seems likely that Odell will be allowed to return, and the Bengals can plan accordingly.

I'll answer for him Hoosier.

Nothing. He's done nothing that justifies this continuing vendetta from Goodell.

It certainly seems that way, especially when players who have abused HGH and steroids get nothing but a little slap on the wrist. Of course, that pales into compariason next to Odell failing to call in once. Not excusing Odell's mistakes but the crime doesn't seem to fit the punishment when compared to other cases.