Who to Cut

mgilgris

I feel that the Bengals have a lot of fat to cut this year in order to even be competitive. Why not make some cuts and clear up some space. What are the numbers for cutting these individuals.

Rudi

Willie

Any others?

The Bengals seem to be one of those teams that are almost afraid to go against the grain and cut an unproductive player, hell we are giving another franchise tag to an individual who did not even deserve it last year.

Tag Madieu, let Justin walk. At sometime you have to admit that you were wrong in early drafts and cut the ties.

Who dey

Robinson can't be cut, he's a UFA. Though I've long beat up on him, he played pretty well last season in a reserve role and I wouldn't mind having him back in a backup role -- especially considering the historical fragility of Rucker and Fanene.

They paid Willie his roster bonus in January so it looks like he stays. And in his interview yesterday, Marvin said Rudi would be back.

Letting Thorton go would be OK by me. I have to think Dexter is on the bubble. Either MW or Deltha could be gone but not, I think, both.

I disagree. Let's see if a healthy Rudi with some semblance of an O can produce next year.

Cut Thornton, cut Willie, cut Justin, cut Larsen and cut old Blue himself.

Well, your moves don't really make sense and here's why: if you cut Thornton then you're down to 2 DT's on the roster because BRob is an UFA who they most likely won't re-sign due to his age, you can't cut Willie because he was just extended through 2012, you don't need to cut Justin or Larsen because they are UFA's too. Cutting someone would imply that they are still under contract. On the keep Rudi front, what about last year makes you think he has anything left? Even before his injury he was down to around 3.5 YPC. If you say the O-line is at fault, I would counter that with the success that Watson and Dorsey had as his replacements. Rudi has lost not only his speed, but also his power and quickness in the hole. Like I said in my post, it would hurt to cut him because Rudi is so beloved, but is clearly past his prime and therefore not worth the money.

I disagree. Let's see if a healthy Rudi with some semblance of an O can produce next year.

Cut Thornton, cut Willie, cut Justin, cut Larsen and cut old Blue himself.

Well, your moves don't really make sense and here's why: if you cut Thornton then you're down to 2 DT's on the roster because BRob is an UFA who they most likely won't re-sign due to his age, you can't cut Willie because he was just extended through 2012, you don't need to cut Justin or Larsen because they are UFA's too. Cutting someone would imply that they are still under contract. On the keep Rudi front, what about last year makes you think he has anything left? Even before his injury he was down to around 3.5 YPC. If you say the O-line is at fault, I would counter that with the success that Watson and Dorsey had as his replacements. Rudi has lost not only his speed, but also his power and quickness in the hole. Like I said in my post, it would hurt to cut him because Rudi is so beloved, but is clearly past his prime and therefore not worth the money.

Well said, except the draft will likely affect the DT situation and who gets cut. Its conceivable that JT could get cut, given Marvin's esteem for him in May-June if they can get a nice tackle at #9. Fanene, Peko and Geathers all need competition for their spots since they did so poorly last season. The draft is the place to find it.

I feel that the Bengals have a lot of fat to cut this year in order to even be competitive. Why not make some cuts and clear up some space. What are the numbers for cutting these individuals.

Rudi

Willie

Any others?

The Bengals seem to be one of those teams that are almost afraid to go against the grain and cut an unproductive player, hell we are giving another franchise tag to an individual who did not even deserve it last year.

Tag Madieu, let Justin walk. At sometime you have to admit that you were wrong in early drafts and cut the ties.

Who dey

I'm not implying that Justin is a God, but we can't just let him walk away at this point. Who are we gonna replace him with? There's not much out there.

Madieu, on the other hand, is dispensable. In other words, he is not essential and can be replaced easily.

Just about any street free agent could match Justin's production - that's who.

Just like all the other street free agents we've brought in? Myers, Marshall, Jeanty, Thorton, Sam Adams, ect, ect, ect... Once again, you couldn't be further from the truth... Maybe with some push in the middle and heat from the outside, Justin will excel.

Just like all the other street free agents we've brought in? Myers, Marshall, Jeanty, Thorton, Sam Adams, ect, ect, ect... Once again, you couldn't be further from the truth... Maybe with some push in the middle and heat from the outside, Justin will excel.

Justin's got one move and it only works against crappy tackles. The only thing he's good at is overrunning plays and getting out of his gap.

I'd think about letting him go to FA and let him find out what other teams think he's worth. Franchise tag is for top-5 money, and Justin's not close to being a top-5 DE.

Despite the fact that Justin Smith's loudest critics can't seem to make a valid point...and none of you have...the end result is the same. He's so determined to find his value in free agency that he won't sign a long-term contract. His agent just confirmed those suspicions, and even Smith's critics know that if he reaches the open market he'll find bidders willing to take the risk that he'd perform far better in their systems than he did here. And they'll almost certainly be right. Regardless, I think it's a situation that has almost played out to a conclusion, and the only thing that can stop it would be an unpopular decision to grossly overpay Smith yet again...a move that would gain the Bengals absolutely nothing in regards to long-term planning.

As for who replaces him, the decision isn't as simple as plugging player B into slot A. It's been widely speculated that the decision to stay in a 4-3 or switch to a 3-4 base defense rests almost entirely with the Bengals ability to keep Smith. If true, then how likely is it the Bengals will make a final determination on something so important as what defensive scheme they'll run, and which type of defensive players they'll draft, based upon their ability to keep Smith for only one more season, and only then after using a wildly expensive franchise tag?

My feelings exactly. The only reason they tagged him last year was because he wants too much money for a long-term deal and they didn't really have a backup plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they even tried to start Frostee their and have a rotation with him Fanene and a rookie, if they stay in a 4-3. If they decide to switch...

My feelings exactly. The only reason they tagged him last year was because he wants too much money for a long-term deal and they didn't really have a backup plan. I wouldn't be surprised if they even tried to start Frostee their and have a rotation with him Fanene and a rookie, if they stay in a 4-3. If they decide to switch...

You guys are sniffin' glue if you think the Bengals could find a street free agent who could match Smith's production. The man plays 98% of all defensive snaps and routinely ranks amongst the top 5 in tackles for DE's. And his typical season nets 6 to 8 sacks, not last seasons duece.

And the Bengals did have a backup plan for replacing Smith and for those who didn't notice it went right out of the window the second the muscle detached itself from Frostee Rucker's shoulder bone. So yeah, the current backup plan starts there....and likely includes the addition of a first day draft pick....probably at the expense of another position many of you would rather see addressed.

I'd let Chris Perry go. Waste of a roster spot. Ain't no good having potential if you're always crocked!

You guys are sniffin' glue if you think the Bengals could find a street free agent who could match Smith's production.

Not at all, hunnybunches.......he pressures the QB infrequently (like any good street FA does) sacks the passer even less so (like any good street FA does) and when you count the tackles he makes behind, at, or near the line of scrimmage (where any good street FA DL will be found) and not the tackles made after the ball carrier has already picked up a first down or more - yeah, I'll take Joe Streetclothes for nfl minimum, and make it snappy, please, so that I can take the money and spend it on an actual impact defender.

The fact that he is healthy just means we get his less than mediocre play consistently, down after down. YAY!

Not at all, hunnybunches.......he pressures the QB infrequently (like any good street FA does) sacks the passer even less so (like any good street FA does)

C'mon now Poopiebritches, even a dink like you knows that things can always get worse, and if you don't think so I'd love to hear which unemployed street FA could produce at Smith's level. Or isn't it fair of me to ask you to back up your stupid claims with actual names?

....and when you count the tackles he makes behind, at, or near the line of scrimmage (where any good street FA DL will be found) and not the tackles made after the ball carrier has already picked up a first down or more - yeah, I'll take Joe Streetclothes for nfl minimum,

The fact that you'd openly champion the idea of starting a street FA making the NFL minimum at one of the most important positions on the field is exactly why I find your opinions to be worthless so often. Seriously, if you don't like Smith and think he's overpaid then that's one thing, but what you and others are discussing is flat out stupid.

The fact that he is healthy just means we get his less than mediocre play consistently, down after down. YAY!

I've always felt that Smith's production would increase if he was asked to play fewer downs, and I'll bet you a buck that's exactly what will happen the moment he leaves the Bengals. In fact, most teams cap the percentage of downs a defensive lineman will play between 80-85%. By comparison Smith has routinely logged more than 98% of all defensive snaps since his rookie season....likely dictating that your dumb ass would have to find two or three street free agents to simply play the number of downs that Smith does.