Bengals Only 5 Rd. Mock

fattyjay

I know this will be met with much opposition, but the heck:

1. Stewart- RB Oregon

2. Henderson- LB Maryland

3. Guion- DT Florida State

4. Finley- TE Oklahoma

5. Gooden- LB Miami

This of course does not include any comp picks, which I would try to add a DE in the 3rd possibly.

One lineman out of five picks? Get ready for another 8-8 season at best. <_<

1. Stewart- RB Oregon

4. Finley- TE Oklahoma

5. Gooden- LB Miami

This of course does not include any comp picks, which I would try to add a DE in the 3rd possibly.

One lineman out of five picks? Get ready for another 8-8 season at best. <_<

Offensive or defensive? Either way, the chance any lineman has of starting is maybe if he's a D-lineman in the first round and his first name is Sedrick. If the Bengals are going to rely on rookie lineman to get a better than 8-8 season they have more troubles than we know.

1. Stewart- RB Oregon

After spending a 1st & a 2nd rounder in the last 3 years, and as deep as the RB class this year, there is NO WAY we pick any RB with pick #9 not named McFadden.

This is the type of LB Marvin likes, but how many WLB do we need?
OK - though I'd rather have Laws (or Sims or Rubin or ...)
4. Finley- TE Oklahoma
Why not Brad Cottam (TEN) ??
5. Gooden- LB Miami

I really see our 1st 3 picks including 1 OL and two DL - so it could be:

Clady - Jackson - Laws or

Ellis - Gerilius - J.Jones or

Gholston - Sims - Richardson

Any extra pick in the 3rd should be BPA, regardless of position.

Steinbach and Whitworth were pretty darn good their rookie year

True, but the year we drafted Steinbach we needed starters on the line and Whitworth got a lot of PT due to injuries. All I'm saying is that the starters are set on the O-line. Again, if we go through another spate of injuries like last year, having a rookie step up would be nice, but they won't be competing for a starting spot at the beginning of camp. I don't think they will completely ignore the lines in the draft, as alluded to in the articles on Bengals.com and in the Enquirer, but I would not rule out a couple of offensive weapons on the first day. The thinking here is not that they don't need help on defense, but increasing their chances on 3rd downs and improving the running game will indirectly help the defense.

The thinking here is not that they don't need help on defense, but increasing their chances on 3rd downs and improving the running game will indirectly help the defense.

And that exactly the thinking that got the Bengals where they are now. I suggest Cincinnati takes a new train of thought where the defense doesn't have to depend on the offense for anything. They hold their own, and actually help out the offense for once! :player:

The thinking here is not that they don't need help on defense, but increasing their chances on 3rd downs and improving the running game will indirectly help the defense.

And that exactly the thinking that got the Bengals where they are now. I suggest Cincinnati takes a new train of thought where the defense doesn't have to depend on the offense for anything. They hold their own, and actually help out the offense for once! :player:

Quite. This years CowPats would not have gone 16-0 with our defense. I mean, a defense even in the low teens would probably enable the team as a whole to get two or three more wins a season alone. i.e. into the playoffs.

Quite. This years CowPats would not have gone 16-0 with our defense. I mean, a defense even in the low teens would probably enable the team as a whole to get two or three more wins a season alone. i.e. into the playoffs.

For that matter, the Giants wouldn't have captured the NFL Championship without the awesome play of their defense.

Defense = success.

For that matter, the Giants wouldn't have captured the NFL Championship without the awesome play of their defense.

Defense = success.

Yep. Look at the Titans and the Jags. A lack of Wrs for the Jags didn't stop them from doing well and a lack of WRs or a QB worhty of the name couldn't even stop the Titans from making a post season appearance.

Defense = success.

Yep. Look at the Titans and the Jags. A lack of Wrs for the Jags didn't stop them from doing well and a lack of WRs or a QB worhty of the name couldn't even stop the Titans from making a post season appearance.

Great point. All these offense happy dips**ts here fail to see the reality of the modern NFL game. It's the same as golf almost. You drive for show, but you putt for DOUGH!

Somebody hand Mike Brown a putter! :P

Look, its not as if they haven't been drafting defense. Pollack and Thurman were to be the cornerstones of this defense. Ahmad Brooks was brought in to compensate for Thurman's implosion. The last two years we drafted Cornerbacks in round one because they were the best two players left on the defensive side of the ball (though I still maintain that Michael Griffin from Texas would have looked great in Stripes). Johnathon Joseph would have been Manny Lawson if he had slipped past the 49ers. Leon Hall would have been Okoye or Willis had either of those players slipped.

If Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey both go before number 9 the Bengals shouldn't reach for a defensive lineman just because that is the most glaring need? Do you want them to draft a Harvey even though he doesn't fit into our scheme? Do you want them to reach for Merling or Balmer and pass on players that have better grades? If Gholston, Dorsey, Ellis, and Chris Long all go top 8 Ryan Clady will likely be the best player on the board that fills a need for the Bengals...he should be the pick even though he is an offensive player. The worst thing we can do is fixate on a position and take a player just because he is the next best at that position (aka Akili Smith, still burns me up that we picked the third best QB prospect at #3).

Of course the BPA theory needs to be tempured with need, you can't have 5 top Running backs on a team and expect to be balanced (see Chris Perry, Kenny Irons, Rudi Johnson, Kenny Watson and Johnathon Stewart)

I will hereby state that a draft resulting in a RB taken in the 1st round will completely end my tenure as a Bengals fan... Seriously...

I mean how much complete stupidity can one person expect to tolerate from their football team ??

It all depends on how things fall out come draft day.

For example, assume it goes the way Rob Rang projects over at sportsline.com: http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10606857

1. Sedrick Ellis

2. Glenn Dorsey

3. Matt Ryan

4. Chris Long

5. Jake Long

6. Darren McFadden

7. Vernon Gholston

8. Ryan Clady

So what do you do? Rang gives us Dan Connor, but neither he nor Keith Rivers strike me as a special player. Good, just not great. Mike Jenkins and Kenny Phillips are still there, but secondary isn't really a need. (Yeah, I could see Phillips if Madieu leaves.) Hard to see a reach for Mendenhall here, but he's another "all-around" type RB the Bengals love and his stock could rise. And Marvin passed a comment recently that the team isn't sure of Kenny Irons' recovery time. If Rudi is done and Irons starts the season on PUP (or, heaven forbid, just IR'd), that leaves us with Mr. Glass, Watson and D3. And finally there's WR to be considered. Ocho's gone Psycho, TJ is in his contract year, and Henry is Henry...and behind them we got nutin'. DeSean Jackson gives us a future stud and instant home-run return threat. And Ted Ginn went at 9 last year...

Because he is 245 lbs. At #9 I want a player who will be on the field every down on defense not a situational pass-rush guy who is Robert Geathers II. I also don't want a guy we have to play out of his college position I want a game changing stud. Theorically the player taken at #9 is the ninth best player available (I am not trying to be redundant), I am fine taking a flier on a guy in the third or fourth not top ten in the first. For every Jevon Kearse there have been 5 of these guys flame out with little or no productivity, that is not the odds I am looking for.

He may be a special player, I must admit I haven't watched him play more than 10 to 20 downs and I have not scouted him. This may be a prejudice but I do not believe a player at 245 lbs (or even 255) can play every down in the NFL. (yes I know Freeney is near that size but even as spectacular as he is, he is a liability that the Colts have to scheme around in the run-game.)

I would like the Bengals to improve their pass-rush as well as the next guy but not at the cost of our ability to defense the run.

Ted Ginn was taken at #9 and it was one of the worst draft selections of all time.

As for Rang's Draft. I simply refuse to believe that only 2 skill position players will be taken top 9. For one; Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami, and Kansas City are all in desperate need of QBs I believe at least Brohm and Ryan will go top 8 (my guess Atlanta and Baltimore) and I believe that once the combine and the Pro Days come there is the possibility of Woodson or Flacco or Henne wowing scouts and moving to the top 10. I also think that at least one DB will move up to the top 8 (at least one DB has gone top 8 in the last 6 drafts, since 2001) and there is a great possibility that more than one RB will go ahead of 9 because of the immense talent at that position in this draft.

My guess is that either Ellis or Dorsey will go top 5 with Chris and Jake Long, Matt Ryan, and Darren McFadden. I think One of the next 3 goes QB (Baltimore), one goes D Line (Gholston is my guess), one goes DB. That leaves Ellis or Dorsey to us, I could be completely wrong but every year D Linemen slip in the draft because scouts get "wowed" by skill position players. I acknowledge that maybe Dorsey and Ellis are gone by 9 because of their talent level, I refuse to believe that Clady, Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey, and both Longs are gone top 8, 6 of 8 on the line would be completely unheard of.

Wow! I think everyone is missing the point of this mock. To me it was about how to make the team better when the player they want is not around when they pick. Particularly in the 1st Rd. when all of the DT's an DE's that are worthy of a top ten pick are gone. People are bashing the running game, but offer only the OL as being responsible for its decline. From what I saw last year Rudi has nothing left. Kenny Irons may or may not be ready, and if he is, he is not a workhorse type of RB. So, then you are left with Kenny Watson and Dede Dosey. Anybody want to ride them to the playoffs?

Ted Ginn was taken at #9 and it was one of the worst draft selections of all time.

Maybe, it's a bit early to tell. But in any event Jackson >>> Ginn, IMHO.

As for Rang's Draft. I simply refuse to believe that only 2 skill position players will be taken top 9. For one; Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami, and Kansas City are all in desperate need of QBs I believe at least Brohm and Ryan will go top 8 (my guess Atlanta and Baltimore) and I believe that once the combine and the Pro Days come there is the possibility of Woodson or Flacco or Henne wowing scouts and moving to the top 10. I also think that at least one DB will move up to the top 8 (at least one DB has gone top 8 in the last 6 drafts, since 2001) and there is a great possibility that more than one RB will go ahead of 9 because of the immense talent at that position in this draft.

My guess is that either Ellis or Dorsey will go top 5 with Chris and Jake Long, Matt Ryan, and Darren McFadden. I think One of the next 3 goes QB (Baltimore), one goes D Line (Gholston is my guess), one goes DB. That leaves Ellis or Dorsey to us, I could be completely wrong but every year D Linemen slip in the draft because scouts get "wowed" by skill position players. I acknowledge that maybe Dorsey and Ellis are gone by 9 because of their talent level, I refuse to believe that Clady, Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey, and both Longs are gone top 8, 6 of 8 on the line would be completely unheard of.

You never know what will come after the combine and workouts, but right now people are talking about this being the first draft in a long time when no QB goes in the top 20. I don't see a second RB squeaking in the way that position has been devalued, in terms of using a high draft pick on it, in recent years. No wideout outside of Jackson is anywhere near the top of the first, and even Jackson is mid- to late first by some rankings. Corner is a possibility, some guys are bubbling up there, and I can easily see the Pats going CB to replace Asante. But if Clady, Gholston, Ellis, Dorsey and both Long are gone by 9, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Free Safety is also a distinct possibility.

Cornerback is a possibility

Multiple QBs is a distinct possibility

You list 6 guys that have to go top 8 for one of those players not to drop for us. We know that McFadden will go somewhere top 6 (the Jets are my guess), We know that Ryan will go to either Miami or Atlanta, that means that if ANY skill position players WOW teams at the combine or in their pro days we get a dominent lineman Obviously OT is now a reduced need since we have tagged Stacy, so we need to have a QB and a DB slip into the top 8 and I do think that will happen.

I also think that this is once in a lifetime RB draft and teams will be interested in grabbing the #2 RB (Mendenhall, Stewart, Jones, Charles, Rice who ever comes out of the combine hot). It would not surprise me that if Miami takes Ryan and Atlanta takes McFadden that the Jets or Oakland takes a flier at Stewart or Mendenhall. And Rice dropping like a stone shocks me because he will be an incredible pro IMHO.