Zimmer hits ground running

BengalszoneBilly

I was hoping the players would be more tired of losing as well. From the Enquirer:

Zimmer hits ground running, says players tired of getting beat up

BY MARK CURNUTTE

Mike Zimmer, just 10 days into his stint as Bengals defensive coordinator, is immersed in the process of learning about his players and beginning to study college players who can help.

He was headed home to Dallas from the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., to prepare to move his family but had taken a list of phone numbers of Bengals defensive players. He hoped to talk to as many of them as possible.

Zimmer already had received a "hello" call from rookie safety Chinedum Ndukwe. Then Zimmer talked for 20 minutes last week to linebacker Ahmad Brooks, who was doing rehabilitation at Paul Brown Stadium from the groin surgery that ended his 2007 season.

Zimmer talked with Jeff FitzGerald, who would be hired a few days later as Bengals linebackers coach. Zimmer met with the rest of his position coaches and assistants on defense: Kevin Coyle, Jay Hayes, Louie Cioffi and Paul Guenther.

"They really want to be good on defense," Zimmer said. "They're tired of getting beat up so much. They've been beat up for a while."

They watched film. Zimmer had questions. "Not second-guessing," he said. "I was just curious.

"To be honest, it's tough for me to say 'this guy is good' with such a limited amount of time so far."

Zimmer won't force new players into the system. He said he will look for "the best players" and figure out what he can do to elevate the defense.

Zimmer worked for former Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells.

"Parcells said to always have a vision for a player," Zimmer said. "Look at what he can do for you. The player might be a great pass rusher but not cover as well."

Much work lies ahead.

"Evaluate our players, evaluate free agents and college players," Zimmer said. "What direction are we going to take our front?"

The Bengals currently play with four down linemen but are considering a switch to three linemen and four linebackers.

In a brief time in Cincinnati, Zimmer said he can see how much the Bengals mean to people by the reception he has received.

I love Ndukwe, he was so under rated coming into the draft. He had some solid production in college but nobody looked at him as an early pick, I'm assuming because he wasn't "flashy". But I think he's the type of player with the skills to become the "flashy" player that we all expect him to be, he's already good, and doesn't make that many mistakes. but he could be great.

I'm very curious as to what Zimmer can do to this defense.

I love Ndukwe, he was so under rated coming into the draft. He had some solid production in college but nobody looked at him as an early pick, I'm assuming because he wasn't "flashy". But I think he's the type of player with the skills to become the "flashy" player that we all expect him to be, he's already good, and doesn't make that many mistakes. but he could be great.

I'm very curious as to what Zimmer can do to this defense.

Hey, those are some solid choices of teams to root for BRB. Most around here refer to me as RBB.