Dillon wants out?!

kevnz

I've always liked Dillon, but comments like the ones he made aren't good for the team.

Maybe Lewis should have all the other players and coaches bow to Dillon as they pass him on the sidelines, so he can get the respect that he's in such a need of.

He backed off some later in the day, but if it happens again, he should be benched.

This whole thing is sad. A lot of people like ( liked ) Dillon. I wouldn't have tried to count the number of people wearing his jersey at the game last week.

Coach Lewis has referred to him as the horse, our stud, and one of our leaders. He's got a stadium full of fans and the the support and respect of his coach and team mates. That isn't enough, so I don't know if bowing to him would work either. I just can't believe that he would pull this at this time. Its almost like he can't stand it that things are going good. The most unbelieveable part was when he said that this shouldn't cause a distraction.

If you haven't read it yet, check out the Dayton paper. He can't say he didn't say it or that he meant it in another way because they were very specific with the questions and his answers. It's a little late for damage control. I would really have liked to see him play here for the rest of his career, but I don't think there's any way that is going to happen now. Hate to admit it, but the comparison to Owens is valid. At least Owens outburst was in the heat of the game. From what I've read, Dillons was totally unprovoked.

Dillons was totally unprovoked.

You don't think stuff like Curnette's stories about how he may be washed up and it's time to move on constitute provocation? How about the fact that for years you haven't seen Dillon's name in the papers with "disgruntled" attached to it? Or that they rarely hesitate to reference his "burger flipping" remark, yet never remind people that was in the midst of contract negotiations with arguably the worst football GM on the planet?

The local Cincy press doesn't like CD because he won't talk and so he makes their jobs more difficult. The national press just picks up what the locals write and plays up the controversy because that's what sells papers.

Bottom line: jb and noxiously are dead on. Props.

"A day in corey dillons life"

12:10 p.m.: Dillon is approached by a club public relations official, who apparently asks if Dillon will do an interview with Seattle media. "I want out. Trade me to Dallas," Dillon says, a comment he later calls "sarcastic."

12:15 p.m.: Two media members are allowed to follow Dillon to his locker. "Beat it. I don't like you guys," Dillon tells other reporters.

4:15 p.m.: Coach Marvin Lewis tells reporters that Dillon is upset with the media, not the organization. "It ain't us. It's you."

4:30 p.m.: Dillon sees a reporter he has not talked to and says, "Write it right." Told most reporters have the information second-hand, Dillon begins a 25-minute news conference.

4:55 p.m.: A TV reporter and camera operator arrive. Dillon says, "No cameras, sorry." The TV reporter asks a question; Dillon says nothing and walks out.

AS I SAID DILLON DOESN"T WANT OUT.....HE JUST WANTS HIS DUE :P

He also has the dubious career records for most plays that went for NEGATIVE YARDS and for total NEGATIVE YARDS.

Yeah, your get that sometimes when the defense put 8-10 guys in the box to stop a run. Considering how badly the Bengals passed when Dillon was ripping off monster numbers it's mind boggling to consider what would have happened had he a semi decent passing game to compliment his running...Oh, I also seem to recall a certain running back by the name of Sanders that often got dropped for negative yards and he is only the greatest running back to ever play the game.

...Oh, I also seem to recall a certain running back by the name of Sanders that often got dropped for negative yards and he is only the greatest running back to ever play the game.

I'd like to see the numerical comparisons. Greatest is very subjective. I never heard Walter Payton crying like a dillon. He said nothing when the Fridge was given the gimme touchdown in the superbowl!!!!! CD would have been committed to the asylum.

CD and the Bengals' time has passed. Hopefully Marvin can motivate him to play at a 3 yard per carry clip the rest of the year and generate an amicable divorce in the offseason.

Why did Mike Brown, the root of all bengal woes, sign him to this contract? I sure miss PB.

The Packers held Barry to negative yards in a playoff win.

This whole thing is overblown, Dillion has been working hard and playing hard for a team that looses constantly. If he was like T.O, he would of been whining for years and demanding a trade.

Don't you think Dillion is frustrated at the fact that when the Bengals are finally winning games and starting to look like a good team, he gets hurt?

I say cut him some slack.

Dillons was totally unprovoked.

You don't think stuff like Curnette's stories about how he may be washed up and it's time to move on constitute provocation? How about the fact that for years you haven't seen Dillon's name in the papers with "disgruntled" attached to it? Or that they rarely hesitate to reference his "burger flipping" remark, yet never remind people that was in the midst of contract negotiations with arguably the worst football GM on the planet?

The local Cincy press doesn't like CD because he won't talk and so he makes their jobs more difficult. The national press just picks up what the locals write and plays up the controversy because that's what sells papers.

Bottom line: jb and noxiously are dead on. Props.

When Dillon came off the field from practice, he was asked by a member of the Bengals staff if he would speak with the Seattle media. I'm sorry, but I just don't see that as being provoked.

Curnuttes story provoked him - That story came out on the 10th. If he had done this on the 11th, I'd believe that the story had provoked him.

Has been labeled as disgruntled for years. - According to what Dillon says, he has been disgruntled ... since he got here.

Negotiating with the worst football GM on the planet. I wouldn't limit it to football. Lets settle on the worst GM of any sport on any planet and call that an agreement. He still took his money though .... and lots of it.

Cincy press doesn't like him. - Won't argue that one either. The only one Curnutte seems to have a high opinion of is himself. Personally, I like Ludwig. Fact is though that it wasn't the Cincy press he was being asked to speak with. It was the press from his own hometown. Seattle.

jb and noxiously are dead on - jb contends that Dillon doesn't want out he wants his due. He may or may not want out, I don't know. He definitely gets his due from everybody, coach team, ( his own and opposing ) fans ( big time ) and begrudginly maybe the press.

noxiously contends that the fans are jumping on his back - The fans ripped Curnuttes rear end for the article that he wrote about Dillons contract.

One of the best points made was that Dillon affects the other teams defense even when he's not healthy. I agree. I said in other posts that he is a great running back. I still think that this outburst was unprovoked and since it came after the trade deadline maybe a little contrived.

I still think that this outburst was unprovoked and since it came after the trade deadline maybe a little contrived.

I wouldn't say it was contrived, but rather drenched with sarcasm. Someone -- Ludwig maybe, I forget where I saw it -- actually transcribed the "interview" verbatim, and Corey rarely answers the reporters' questions. They ask him about a trade and he says (I'm paraphrasing), "wait a minute, I thought I was washed up." They ask him about that and he turns it around, "wait a minute, how am I getting traded if I'm washed up." Half the questions are answered, "I don't know, you tell me." Dillon's just being a smart@$$, saying in effect, you guys think you know all the answers, I'm done, I'm expensive, I'm disgruntled, etc., so go write what you want; you will anyhow.

What Dillon doesn't get is the simple fact that this is their job. They have to go back to the office and fill X amount of space in a newspaper or on the evening news. They can't just go in to their editor and say, "hey, Corey wouldn't talk, can we leave a big blank white space in today?" So what happens? Corey made their job harder, they're ticked off, and so they fill the space by recounting his "disgruntled history" for the 1,806th time. Frankly, the Bengals PR department needs to wake the hell up and give Corey a course in how to deal with the media (common practice for executives in many, many industries).

As for CD not being provoked because he didn't react right when Curnette's piece came out, well, he did, remember? He cut the media off, quit talking to them. Which only got them writing their "CD is disgruntled and is not talking again" stories. And so the vicious cycle continues...

For me, the bottom line is this, and I think you'd agree: I'd rather have a RB who wants the ball, who says his personal goal is to win the Super Bowl, and says age isn't slowing him down than one who'd rather sit on the bench, go .500, and collect a few more paychecks before he retires. We've had far too many of those types over the last 12-13 years. I'll take the selfish, mouthy bastige who wants a Lombardi.

For me, the bottom line is this, and I think you'd agree: I'd rather have a RB who wants the ball, who says his personal goal is to win the Super Bowl, and says age isn't slowing him down than one who'd rather sit on the bench, go .500, and collect a few more paychecks before he retires. We've had far too many of those types over the last 12-13 years. I'll take the selfish, mouthy bastige who wants a Lombardi.

It's amazing how much discussion this has caused. I would agree with you about the guy whose personal goal is the Superbowl IF he had specified that he wants to do it HERE. Just like you noted, he answered that with a question. Maybe I mean here and maybe I mean some other place.

No. I don't like the guy who is willing to sit on the bench and be average. I also don't like the guy who puts his own ego, need for attention , and desire for pesonal glory ahead of his team.

On another post, you speculated that this was cooked up by the coaching staff to distract The Seahawks. I think that's a reach, but for Dillons sake I hope you're right. That is because in the end it doesn't matter what type of player you and I like. That judgement goes to coach Lewis.

he doesn't like players that he perceives as selfish. He HATES public airing of what he considers private team matters. His patience with players who are not on board is documented.

Last question. If he lets Dillon get away with this, what happens when Chad Johnson tries it ?? Shane Matthews ??????????? See what I mean ? where does it stop ?

No. I don't like the guy who is willing to sit on the bench and be average. I also don't like the guy who puts his own ego, need for attention , and desire for pesonal glory ahead of his team.

I'm just not sure how Dillon's ego or goals or desires for personal glory hurt us, tho. It isn't like he's going out, getting plastered, and slamming his SUV into a tree, or getting busted for drugs, or even getting into fistfights with teammates (all examples of things that have happened with other players). He isn't even going as far as Carl "the cancer" Pickens did, blasting away at the coach until the team had to take a cap hit to cut him. In fact, he speaks highly of both the coach and his teammates. How does Dillon wanting the ball hurt the team? How is him thinking he's the greatest RB on Earth hurt us? Bottm line: you're right, it's amazing how much discussion this has generated, because IMHO there's very little to it.

Last question. If he lets Dillon get away with this, what happens when Chad Johnson tries it ?? Shane Matthews ??????????? See what I mean ? where does it stop ?

Well, I don't think anyone is worried about what our now-third-string QB thinks :) As for Chad, well, his better-known relation authored a book after his rookie season, Just Give Me the Damn Ball. And I think Corey and Chad both feel that way. As for who gets it, hey, competition is good, right? :)

Dillon = mediocre? This must be that new math everyones' talking about. Dillon has been the only ray of hope for Bengal fans in the last 10 years. If he wants the ball 40 times a game, give it to him. He has earned the calls. As far as shooting his mouth off to the press, his agent should be slapped silly. Tell CD to shut up, play out the season and if things don't go well this year, ask for a trade. Who would want him now. The best Bengal back of all time? I like James Brooks. Lets re-sign Pete Johnson. God bless Boobie Clark

Well, I don't think anyone is worried about what our now-third-string QB thinks :) As for Chad, well, his better-known relation authored a book after his rookie season, Just Give Me the Damn Ball. And I think Corey and Chad both feel that way. As for who gets it, hey, competition is good, right? :)

This is definitely my last hit on this dead horse.

You made one of my points for me by referring to the now 3rd string qb. The rules then do not apply to all team members. If that is what Marvin Lewis thinks then that's all he has to say. " Yeah we have a rule about that, but it doesn't apply to Corey. "

Dillon didn't bash the team. With a loyalty clause in place, you're darned right he's not going to trash the coach or the organization. And yes I think he thought of it and that's why he didn't. I said he was selfish, never said he was stupid.

bengalboy:

Dead on with everything except give him the ball all he wants. Even agree there as long as we're ahead.

Two sides to this one: cut him some slack or send him packin'. Hmm? I've been a Bengals' fan for over 30 years and he's probably the most accomplished player we've ever had; though my all time favorites are Tommy Casanova and Isaac Curtis. Boobie Clark has one of the all-time great names.

I don't want to see Dillon on another team. There's no reason for it. However, I did say before the trade deadline he should be gone. Mostly because of his attitude. Seems like he got away with all kinds of crap with previous regimes and now he's called to the mat. He's missed camps (not good even if voluntary); he's been running his mouth for a while. Can he still produce? Probably. I'd love to see it. Is he becoming more trouble than he's worth? I don't know. He's been a stud on crappy teams. His time may have arrived. No matter the reason, shouldn't he be pushing the cart to keep the heading instead of pulling it off course?

Dillon's the one jumping off the bandwagon. I'm not going anywhere. This was my team before it was his. Am I the one taking the beatings, working out like a madman, banking the cash? No. Have I stuck with the team for 30 years when they were strictly awful? You can bet your backside on that.

We should be celebrating the dawn of a new era. We should revel in our victories - be they wins or loses. We shouldn't be worried about Dillon throwing a tantrum, or dare I say, becoming a…shhhh…cancer.