Odell Thurman

kentjett

[ If you grade personal character and football character from A-F... then I would have no problem taking a CC player. With Odell you get a CF. If you want him you can have him.

It seems that I called out Green (justifiably), for dissing Pollack, but perhaps a bit prematurely...

I should have called out this one first. My bad, Green, even though I still think you are wrong about Pollock.

CDM, I don't know how you arrived at these grades but in my mind your rating system sucks.

Based on Odell's rookie season, he unquestionably gets an A, if not an A+, for football character.

It is unclear to me what you were watching in '05.

Odell was every bit as responsible for the division title in '05 as any player on that team, including Carson, Rudi, Chad, TJ and Deltha's 10 picks.

Anybody who wants this team to get better in '08 should pray that Odell can get back to being the playmaker he was in '05.

With all due respect Mr. CDM, the rest of it is just BS self-righteous hate.

Yea, I said it.

[ If you grade personal character and football character from A-F... then I would have no problem taking a CC player. With Odell you get a CF. If you want him you can have him.

It seems that I called out Green (justifiably), for dissing Pollack, but perhaps a bit prematurely...

I should have called out this one first. My bad, Green, even though I still think you are wrong about Pollock.

CDM, I don't know how you arrived at these grades but in my mind your rating system sucks.

Based on Odell's rookie season, he unquestionably gets an A, if not an A+, for football character.

It is unclear to me what you were watching in '05.

Odell was every bit as responsible for the division title in '05 as any player on that team, including Carson, Rudi, Chad, TJ and Deltha's 10 picks.

Anybody who wants this team to get better in '08 should pray that Odell can get back to being the playmaker he was in '05.

With all due respect Mr. CDM, the rest of it is just BS self-righteous hate.

Yea, I said it.

Well my first thing to tell you would be to go look up in the dictionary what the word character means. It doesn't say anything in there about accumulation stats for the word.

Football Character is the accumulation of football related principles that help you to perform at your peak on the field. Such as putting in film study all week. Working hard in the weight room. Being on time and attentive for meetings. Then last but not least being where you're supposed to be on game day. Odell made plays yes, but how many big plays did he help give up by being in the wrong gaps?

If you want to grade him on talent then yes he is an A. If you want to grade him on the things I mentioned then he is no better than a C. If you grade him on what he does outside of football he fails miserably.

[quote name=CarsonDaMan' date='Jan 27 2008, 10:48 AM' post='234556'

Well my first thing to tell you would be to go look up in the dictionary what the word character means. It doesn't say anything in there about accumulation stats for the word.

Well, the first thing that I will tell you is that I'm pretty sure I don't need you to tell me what character means, nor do I need you to inform me of the existence of a book which can educate my dumb ass on the definition of character. I think I can handle that myself, but thanks for your in-put, professor.

Football Character is the accumulation of football related principles that help you to perform at your peak on the field. Such as putting in film study all week. Working hard in the weight room. Being on time and attentive for meetings. Then last but not least being where you're supposed to be on game day.

Since there are no entries for football character in the dictionary, I guess we'll have to go with the one manufactured in the dark recesses of your mind. Is it your intention to attempt to diminish what Odell accomplished on the field in '05 with this? If so, can you document where Odell was lax in film study and the weight room or all of the times that Odell was tardy and innatentive? Can't, can ya? Even if you could, he played pretty damned well for a guy who's "football character" sucks to the degree that you want us to believe. I don't.

Odell made plays yes, but how many big plays did he help give up by being in the wrong gaps?

Hey, another odious attempt to diminish Odell's rookie accomplishments. Of course he made mistakes, he was a freakin' rookie. Experienced football people expect rookies to make mistakes. They always make mistakes. The question is, did they make plays and did they learn from their mistakes. Yea Odell made some rookie mistakes, as all rookies do, but he made a slew of plays as well and that is fact, sir. Sorry you missed the excitement.

If you want to grade him on talent then yes he is an A. If you want to grade him on the things I mentioned then he is no better than a C. If you grade him on what he does outside of football he fails miserably.

Hey guy, I don't want to grade him and I sure don't want to grade him on the things you mentioned. Your grading system seems inherently flawed, and frankly, using it to tear the man down is nothing short of scurrilous. If you don't know what that means, try the dictionary.

Odell is 24 years old, under contract at a cap friendly price and has proven himself to be a playmaker. More importantly, he is a human being who deserves a chance to right the wrongs of his past. Thankfully, those who would deny him that chance don't control his destiny or that of anyone else. Or at least you don't.

The bottom line is that Odell helped us win in '05 and if he comes back to play as well or better than he did as a rookie, he will help us win in '08.

Sorry but it's not my grading system. It happens to be one widely used around the NFL. The Bengals were obviously one of the few who didn't adhere to it and they ended up with a guy who has been suspended for two years. You tell me who is right or wrong with it.

Two words smart guy: Jared Allen

Odell got screwed, you know it!

On a level compared to Odell, Pollack didn't prove crap to me. I'm not trying to hate but it's the truth 68. Like I said, at this point I'd take Odell over Pollack anyday.

my...my how soon we forget the dude in his rookie season had 148 tackles,4 ff,5ints was a DROY candidate my since he's been gone people want to make it sound like he was out of position all the time & we didn't miss him at all give me a break!! people want to fall over themselves on how great of a season Leon Hall had but they forget the first 3 games or so when he was getting picked on how many big plays did he give up? I'd bet more than Odell probably did it kind of comes with being a rookie.

Now if you don't like odell for his off the field stuff then fine so be it but you can't dismiss the impact he had when he was on the field that's just ignorant

the leading tacklers since Odell has been gone in 06 it was landon johnson with 132 total 1 int 3 ff the leader in 07 once again was landon Johnson 104 total 66 tackles 38 assists 1 sack. also the team leader in picks was leon hall with 5 incidently the 8 million dollar man finished the season with 78 total 49 tackles 29 assists & a measley 2 yes i said 2 sacks! So looking at those stats I'd say Odell stacks up pretty damn well wouldn't you??

HAHA I told ya'll he'd be back. This is wonderful news... There's no way the Bengals will pass up on Odell for $520,000 this season. Comeback player of the year, '08!

Nice spin Green. You said he'd be back in 2007, though. As for 2008, we'll see. It would be great news for any Bengals fan if OT is back and contributing sometime during the upcoming season.

my...my how soon we forget the dude in his rookie season had 148 tackles,4 ff,5ints was a DROY candidate my since he's been gone people want to make it sound like he was out of position all the time & we didn't miss him at all give me a break!! people want to fall over themselves on how great of a season Leon Hall had but they forget the first 3 games or so when he was getting picked on how many big plays did he give up? I'd bet more than Odell probably did it kind of comes with being a rookie.

Now if you don't like odell for his off the field stuff then fine so be it but you can't dismiss the impact he had when he was on the field that's just ignorant

What he did for one season is really, really besides the point here. What good are those numbers if you can't depend on the guy to stay on the field? He's one more dumb mistake from spending the rest of his career out of the league. And based on his track record dating all the way back to his freshman year in college it's probable he'll make that mistake. Just like last year the Bengals will probably go into the season pinning their hopes on him and just like last year will probably get burned badly.

My worthless opinion:

Odell > Pollack because Odell actually knows how to play LB vs. David, who is still learning.

Pollack > Odell because, assuming Pollack is healthy, David can be counted on to be on the field vs. one-parking-ticket-away-from-a-ban Odell.

In the long run, on-field potential of Odell vs. on-field potential of Pollack? Boy, wouldn't it be nice to see that play out, eh?

<BR>
my...my how soon we forget the dude in his rookie season had 148 tackles,4 ff,5ints was a DROY candidate my since he's been gone people want to make it sound like he was out of position all the time & we didn't miss him at all give me a break!! people want to fall over themselves on how great of a season Leon Hall had but they forget the first 3 games or so when he was getting picked on how many big plays did he give up? I'd bet more than Odell probably did it kind of comes with being a rookie.<BR>Now if you don't like odell for his off the field stuff then fine so be it but you can't dismiss the impact he had when he was on the field that's just ignorant
<BR><BR>What he did for one season is really, really besides the point here. What good are those numbers if you can't depend on the guy to stay on the field? He's one more dumb mistake from spending the rest of his career out of the league. And based on his track record dating all the way back to his freshman year in college it's probable he'll make that mistake. Just like last year the Bengals will probably go into the season pinning their hopes on him and just like last year will probably get burned badly.<BR><BR>

Then last but not least being where you're supposed to be on game day. Odell made plays yes, but how many big plays did he help give up by being in the wrong gaps?

If its beside the point why did you ask? I love how you gloss over the fact he made plays & from his stats he did excell on the field so his football character,whatever the hell that is,should grade much higher& I'd bet he made more big plays than he gave up.

I understand your point about him not being on the field. He put himself in the situation & has paid for his misconduct. I think he got screwed by not getting reinstated last year , godell just wanted to make an example out of him. He's admitted he has an alcohol problem & got treatment from what we know so far is getting his s**t together. I don't have a crystal ball but neither do you but let me just ask what do they have to lose by taking a chance on him?

They have nothing to lose by taking a chance on him. I completely agree with you there.

On the other hand if he has another strong year I wouldn't even remotely consider giving the guy a big contract. I think they learned their lession on drafting those kind of questionable character types given the results they've had.

Pretty much my feeling towards the subject is I was pissed when the day they drafted those guys and all my worst fears of that came to life. I'd just rather not see those types of guys on any team i love. They will play great in spurts but in the long run they do more harm than they do good.

IIRC he would only be in his 2nd year of his contract so they wouldn't have to do a deal for some time but I don't recall how long the contract he signed was for. I'm pretty sure he understands he'll have to earn his way back on the team. If he screws up again he's gone period end of the story with noone to blame but himself. Personally , I don't want to see him become a Claret story I would like him to succeed not only as a NFL player but also as a person .

They did gamble & it did bite them in the ass but they admitted as much & I agree that they've learned their lesson . Again no matter how you feel about him off the field you can't deny his presence on the field brought the D some heart & fire in other words an indentity.

IIRC he would only be in his 2nd year of his contract so they wouldn't have to do a deal for some time but I don't recall how long the contract he signed was for. I'm pretty sure he understands he'll have to earn his way back on the team. If he screws up again he's gone period end of the story with noone to blame but himself. Personally , I don't want to see him become a Claret story I would like him to succeed not only as a NFL player but also as a person .

They did gamble & it did bite them in the ass but they admitted as much & I agree that they've learned their lesson . Again no matter how you feel about him off the field you can't deny his presence on the field brought the D some heart & fire in other words an indentity.

I think he's signed for another 2 years. He'll make $520,000 in '08 and something like $750,000 in '09.