Senior Bowl

alleycat

Early weigh in notables from Draftdaddy:

Wheeler, Balmer, and Fred Davis jump out the most to me so far:

2008 Under Armour Senior Bowl Weigh-In Notes

7 Players that may have helped their stock:

LB Phillip Wheeler, Georgia Tech: Listed 235, weighed 245, ripped.

WR Adarius Bowman, Oklahoma State: 6'2" & very solid 215 lbs.

QB Joe Flacco, Delaware: 6'6" looked the part of N.F.L. QB.

WR Jordy Nelson, Kansas State: Well-built, lean and legit 6'2".

DT Kentwan Ballmer, UNC: Listed 282, weighed 308 & stacked.

CB Dejuan Tribble, Boston College: Buff and looked built for speed.

OL Gosder Cherlius, Boston College: Largest hands (11 1/2") & arms (35 5/8") in the Senior Bowl.

7 Players that may have hurt their stock:

QB Colt Brennan, Hawaii: Listed 6'4", measured 6'2".

TE Fred Davis, Southern Cal: Also listed 6'4", measured 6'2".

DT Dre Moore, Maryland: 307 but in very poor shape.

DT Red Bryant, Texas A & M: Soft, small hands (8 1/8")

LB Ben Moffitt, South Florida: Measured 6'1", weighed 231.

OL Robert Felton, Arkansas: Sloppy and in poor shape.

OL Kory Lichtenstieger, Bowling Green: 6'2" 296, 30 7/8" arms.

I was hoping to we'd take a look at Wheeler in the 2nd if we signed a DT or DE via free-agency, but methinks this puts him in the 1st, because he's a player.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Wheeler is a badass. I've been tempted to talk him up as a potential 2nd round pick but already assumed he'd be off the board. Not sure if the bigger measurables helps his draft stock very much though as his previous listed weight of 235 wasn't much a negative....if any at all.

Frankly the only name that jumps out at me right away is Kendall Langford. Every previous listing of his weight that I've seen had him in the 285 to 290 range, but they just measured him at 275.

Sedric Ellis weighed in just about where I figured he would, but I'm betting scouts start to ding him for being just 6' tall.

Don't get big deal on height casey hampton is only 6'1 but then again he's a nose tackle.

I'm not saying I think it's a big deal...just guessing we'll start hearing some criticism of Ellis based upon his height. Let's face it, draft sources go out of their way to document every players percieved pros and cons, and as good as he is Ellis doesn't fit the ideal profile.

BTW, I think Kentwan Ballmer has the look of this years fast draft riser. There's still going to be some concern because he hasn't played at a high level for very long, but a new coaching staff transformed him as a player and somebody has done a nice job of transforming his body. Plus, he looked like a monster in todays one-on-one drills.

I'm not saying I think it's a big deal...just guessing we'll start hearing some criticism of Ellis based upon his height.

Already begun. The main knock I've seen on him floating around the mockosphere the last few weeks is a perceived lack of size. Height doesn't bug me, tho, and the 300+ weigh-in is notably more than the ~285 a lot of mockers put him at.

BTW, I think Kentwan Ballmer has the look of this years fast draft riser. There's still going to be some concern because he hasn't played at a high level for very long, but a new coaching staff transformed him as a player and somebody has done a nice job of transforming his body. Plus, he looked like a monster in todays one-on-one drills.

Yup. The Balmer talk started a couple weeks back. A good combine and he will be this year's version of Okoye. Fine by me because I still like Ellis better.

Already a nice bit about Ellis on NFLDraftCountdown from Monday's practice - emphasis placed by me

"Two of the most impressive players on the field today both happened to be USC Trojans. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis was practically unblockable, blowing by Chad Rinehart on one play and being very disruptive in the backfield all afternoon. He also received a lot of praise from the coaching staff. Meanwhile his college teammate Keith Rivers, who drew a lot of praise from Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rivers looked quick and explosive moving both forward and laterally and even made a nice play in coverage twenty yards downfield against Kellen Davis."

from: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...s/north121.html

Already begun. The main knock I've seen on him floating around the mockosphere the last few weeks is a perceived lack of size. Height doesn't bug me, tho, and the 300+ weigh-in is notably more than the ~285 a lot of mockers put him at.

I never understood where the 285 crap came from. Ellis has almost always been listed around 305 and once admitted he played as heavy as 313. He's not undersized using anyones standards....unless you prefer taller interior lineman.

The Balmer talk started a couple weeks back. A good combine and he will be this year's version of Okoye. Fine by me because I still like Ellis better.

Exactly. Every draft it seems like there's a DT who shoots up draft boards, whether it's deserved or not. Last year it was Okoye but we've also seen major moves by the John McCargos and Broderick Bunkleys of the world. The question I've been mulling, but until now reluctant to ask, is if Balmer can somehow make himself an option for the Bengals at #9?

Not sure how many people noticed it, but I'd say Mike Mayock is doing a fairly subtle but convincing job of bashing Missouri TE Martin Rucker. Mayock has openly questioned his blocking ability, said by some to be one of his strengths, as well as his hands. He even hinted that lesser regarded prospects like Michigan States Kellen Davis might be a better pro prospect. Even more telling, he doesn't include Rucker in his top 5 ranking of TE prospects.

Not sure how many people noticed it, but I'd say Mike Mayock is doing a fairly subtle but convincing job of bashing Missouri TE Martin Rucker. Mayock has openly questioned his blocking ability, said by some to be one of his strengths, as well as his hands. He even hinted that lesser regarded prospects like Michigan States Kellen Davis might be a better pro prospect. Even more telling, he doesn't include Rucker in his top 5 ranking of TE prospects.

I also read somewhere that Fred Davis is having a bad Senior Bowl practice week and his stock is dropping

Meanwhile his college teammate Keith Rivers, who drew a lot of praise from Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rivers looked quick and explosive moving both forward and laterally and even made a nice play in coverage twenty yards downfield against Kellen Davis.

USC is pretty selective when it comes to handing out #55....which should be a pretty fair indication of what they saw in Rivers. In fact, I thought he outplayed every LB in the country this season until being slowed by injury and I would have preferred Rivers over Laurinitis had the latter player declared.

The question I've been mulling, but until now reluctant to ask, is if Balmer can somehow make himself an option for the Bengals at #9?

Right now, my gut response is to say no. I don't think he rises quite that high, even with fabu workouts -- unless either Ellis or Dorsey implodes. Then all bets are off.

A more intriguing question to me is, would Balmer be a good option if the Bengals were looking to trade down some? The way the draft appears to be shaking out now, the top safety, Phillips, will almost certainly be there at 9, possible the top corner as well, certainly the top WR (and if DeSean Jackson runs as expected at workouts, look for him to move into the top half of the first round) and maybe the No. 2 tackle in Clady.

I don't want Balmer at 9. But Balmer at 15 or 20? Yeah, I could see that.

I also read somewhere that Fred Davis is having a bad Senior Bowl practice week and his stock is dropping.

Well, he's only attended two practices including the one this morning. But Mayoch did rank Fred Davis as the 2nd best TE so it's obvious he thinks rather highly of him. By comparison, he's been pretty hard on Rucker, even questioning if he can get seperation when working against slower safety prospects like the kid from Notre Dame*.

* I don't have the name at my fingertips and there's no way I'm going to attempt spelling it.

Right now, my gut response is to say no. I don't think he rises quite that high, even with fabu workouts -- unless either Ellis or Dorsey implodes. Then all bets are off.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it matters very much what the blue chips who will be off the board do. For me it becomes a question of how Balmer might stack up against a Dan Connor or a Keith Rivers....or a half dozen other prospects now being slotted around #9.

I don't want Balmer at 9. But Balmer at 15 or 20? Yeah, I could see that.

That's ideal, but for the sake of argument I'm not sure you can draw that fine a line. You not only need a trade partner to move down...you need a player with sufficient juice to entice other teams to move up.

I also read somewhere that Fred Davis is having a bad Senior Bowl practice week and his stock is dropping.

Well, he's only attended two practices including the one this morning. But Mayoch did rank Fred Davis as the 2nd best TE so it's obvious he thinks rather highly of him. By comparison, he's been pretty hard on Rucker, even questioning if he can get seperation when working against slower safety prospects like the kid from Notre Dame*.

* I don't have the name at my fingertips and there's no way I'm going to attempt spelling it.

Zbikowski? I don't see where he can call him too slow...he is an awesome punt returner

Zbikowski? I don't see where he can call him too slow...he is an awesome punt returner

That's him. Again, Mayoch noted that in the one-on-one drills Rucker wasn't getting seperation against "one of the slower secondary players here". And he implied that it's something that keeps showing up on game tape.

Fair on unfair, I think it's pretty interesting how Mayoch keeps downgrading Rucker.

Already a nice bit about Ellis on NFLDraftCountdown from Monday's practice - emphasis placed by me

"Two of the most impressive players on the field today both happened to be USC Trojans. Defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis was practically unblockable, blowing by Chad Rinehart on one play and being very disruptive in the backfield all afternoon. He also received a lot of praise from the coaching staff. Meanwhile his college teammate Keith Rivers, who drew a lot of praise from Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan. Rivers looked quick and explosive moving both forward and laterally and even made a nice play in coverage twenty yards downfield against Kellen Davis."

from: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/...s/north121.html

I heard the same thing today on NFL radio on Sirius. They had two guys sitting there watching practice. Both marveled at Ellis beating every offensive lineman he went up against. They also listed a bunch of coaches who were there all watching Ellis. Lane Kiffin and Jack Del Rio are the only two I can remember. After they described a few plays, they said if Ellis is still available at 5 or 6, he will likely get taken there. I'm actually hoping the height thing works against him so he's still around at 9.

Interesting stuff from the fat man. For whatever it might be worth, I love Jamar Adams and thought he played incredibly in Michigan's bowl game, but have my doubts the Bengals will bite on a safety as early as I think he'll go. Wouldn't complain much if they did though. Jonathan Vilma is mentioned later in the article as a potential FA or trade addition. I recently read an article about his rehab and as of now he's barely walking. Worse, not only isn't he likely to be ready for OTA's....he may be late for camp. Two years left on his contract I think. No way can I see a team making a trade for him under those circumstances.

Big C: Bengals like what they see at Senior Bowl

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

MOBILE, Ala. — Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis and offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski were hard to spot on the second day of Senior Bowl practice Tuesday. So I sought out other members of the organization with knowledge of the Bengals' evaluating strategy.

One team source confirmed that the Bengals will address their needs primarily through the draft. Here are some prospects that have caught the eyes of team evaluators: Pittsburgh OL Michael McGlynn, Michigan CB Jamar Adams and Notre Dame DT Trevor Laws.

McGlynn has served up pancakes like Ihop during practice this week. Once he got his hands on an opponent it was over. McGlynn is very strong and held his blocks well at the point of attack. He didn't get beat once during man-on-man drills. He's very durable and versatile, having played all positions along the offensive line including long snapper. McGlynn didn't have the best body in the world at weigh-ins so fans don't have to worry about him running off posing for Playgirl.

The Bengals could go to the Michigan well again to find a defensive back. Adams is a big, physical, hard-hitting, safety with good field speed and cover skills. He plays with a mean streak and is a sure tackler in the open field. Whenever you hear a loud sound coming from the field it's usually Adams making a big hit. Running backs here have been very tentative when running his way ever since the lick he laid on FB Owen Schmitt on Monday.

Laws is considered undersized (6-0, 297) by NFL standards for the tackle position, but don't tell him that. This guy is ferocious and scary. A real monster! I was afraid to shake his hand after practice in fear that he might eat me.

Laws is very strong, athletic and quick off the snap. He has really impressed scouts with his athleticism and non-stop motor. He showed off his hops on Monday when he elevated and batted down a pass from 6-foot-6 QB Joe Flacco.

Looking beyond the Senior Bowl

When it comes to the troubled linebacker position, the Bengals may look to address that matter in free agency first. The team is not expected to make a big splash in free agency, but there is one player who could be on their radar screen and that is Jets LB Jonathan Vilma.

Vilma missed nine games this season with a knee injury and isn't expected to return to the Jets next season. Word is that Lewis had high regard for Vilma when he was drafted in 2004.

It has been said that there are no real impact linebackers in this year's draft that could help the team right away, so this move would make perfect sense.

Also, look for a bigger, stronger and faster Chris Henry next season. I'm told that the receiver will work diligently over the course of the off-season to accomplish those goals.

I'm a Notre Dame fan and have watched Laws play quite a bit. The thing about him that stands out to me is that he plays hurt and is VERY intelligent. Every time he was interviewed he was able to put together sentences without "uhm" or "you know" in it. He stayed 4 years and might be a guy that actually took advantage of the college experience to get a degree. If the Bengals could get him in the third, or maybe even in the second if they picked up an extra pick somehow.

That's ideal, but for the sake of argument I'm not sure you can draw that fine a line. You not only need a trade partner to move down...you need a player with sufficient juice to entice other teams to move up.

Well, obviously -- and that's why I noted there almost certainly will be one or more top DBs available at 9. I can definitely see a Phillips or Mike Jenkins attracting some trade interest. I would certainly listen to any offers, especially if Ellis does go in the top 8, and in the event of a trade-down Balmer becomes a far more attractive target, at least to me.

Well, obviously -- and that's why I noted there almost certainly will be one or more top DBs available at 9. I can definitely see a Phillips or Mike Jenkins attracting some trade interest.

I can't. It's a very deep class for CB's, and Phillips isn't head and shoulders above some of the other safety prospects. In fact, Mike Mayoch doesn't even rank him as the top guy. Instead, I think trade interest will have to come from a QB prospect who manages to create a little buzz or an unexpected fall from one of the blue chips. Neither seems very likely to happen.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but it seems appropriate to this discussion. I buzzed past Lance's blog on my lunch hour today, and noticed an interview with Jerry Jones (of the Drug Store List, not the Cowboys) under recent interviews (dated 1/11).

Anyhow, Jones was very adamant up front that all his Bengals sources say the switch to a 3-4 is basically a done deal, and that a DT to man the nose was the target in round one. He describes Ellis as on top of his wish list for that spot.