Had a kitty cat visitor at my house last week

BengalszoneBilly

:o This mountain lion has a huge affection for the neighborhood dogs who are stupid enough to try and take him on. The Game and Fish Department has been trying catch it to move him from this area for over a year, but has had little luck. I hope it continues. I like seeing stuff like this when I come home.

arizonasnow02mg2.jpg

mountainlion1ix5.jpg

mountainlion2fa9.jpg

mountainlion3rt6.jpg

mountainlion4uy2.jpg

Note to self: do not attend any outdoor parties in Billy's neighborhood.

:lol: Despite what that last picture suggests, that lion was only letting me know he was ready to be fed which I do upon occasion. I had a left over turkey still on the bone from the holidays, and was sliding the door open to toss it out to him. It wasn't on the deck 2 seconds before it was snatched up and he disappeared with it.

My woman and I have encountered this animal numerous times in our late night comings and goings, and never has it seemed aggressive towards us. It will make a beeline for the back door though hoping for another free handout. I hope this big cat never leaves. It was us that moved into his territory, so I consider myself his guest.

That's pretty awesome.

It would make me nervous as a dog owner, but in general, I agree...thats a cool thing to be able to see up close like that. I often forget that animals like that still exist out in the wild.

Well Eric most smart dog owners where I live DO NOT leave them unattended. Of course it's harder with cats which I own one of. Thankfully they seem keenly acute to the presence of other felines. Dogs are unfortunately confrontative with these critters, and seem to pay a heavier price. I love all animals, and would have gotten a dog by now if not for this issue. Coyotes are my bigger concern as far as my house mouser, but pets will be pets, and will figure a way to get out of the house despite however hard you try to prevent it.

On a side note I was recently reading the Cincinnati.com web page, and the Northern Kentucky community of Fort Mitchell is having a problem with an over abundance of deer. Last I checked they had authorized some forms of hunting within the city limits to thin this herd out. Wildlife butting heads with people just isn't an "out west" thing.

Is the cat visible in the first image? I looked and looked and looked....nada....

No TJ. That's the view out my front door. The mountain lion lives in the Prescott National Forest (I guess) which I live on the border of.

Went to Philmont (NM) last summer and heard a story from a ranger about a cat about that size "training" her kits by stalking crews (especially small groups of 2-3 rangers) hiking in her territory.

On an unrelated note, I would have no problem placating the animal by giving it a steady diet of poodles and other annoying little tippy dogs. (just kidding)

Not sure how I feel about feeding an animal like that. On one hand it seems harmless and I understand the desire to interact with creatures like that in what seems like a controlled setting. On the other hand you're lessening it's fear of man and increasing it's willingness to enter backyards.

Regardless, the story reminded me of something that happened in my own neighborhood last year. A man claimed his dog suddenly became very excited and let his owner know he wanted to be let outside. The owner complied, and after opening up his rear slider watched in horror as his Golden Lab charged across the backyard into the waiting mouth of an unfazed mountain lion. After a second or two of violent shaking the man claimed the mountain lion easily cleared a 5 foot tall concrete block wall and escaped with the 80 lb. dog hanging from it's mouth.

Went to Philmont (NM) last summer and heard a story from a ranger about a cat about that size "training" her kits by stalking crews (especially small groups of 2-3 rangers) hiking in her territory.

Ah, Philmont. Went hiking there with my scout troop back in, oh has to be 23 years ago now. 70 miles in 10 days. Started with a flash flood on the first night that nearly killed a buddy of mine, turned an 8-ft. wide creek next to our campsite in a 30-ft. wide raging river, whiped out all our fresh water -- and capped off by a climb up an alleged mountain, Baldy. (Alleged because it actually seemed to be a giant pile of gravel.)

Didn't see an cougars. Did have to chase bears out of our camp site twice.

Wow u got BIG BALLS feeding that thing!

And I bet they taste like chicken!

although mine would firmly stay swinging under my kilt

Now I get your Puma reference from the Sedona thread (or what turned into a Sedona thread). We live in Castaic Ca. on the edge of Los Angeles County. It's a fairly rural area especially by LA standards. The foothills surrounding us are no more than a block away in almost all directions.

Since we moved up here a few years ago we've seen coyotes wandering down the block early in the morning, hawks circling above our house and our backyard is routinely visited by Raccoons and possums. We even get field mice in our garage on occasion.

The neighbors’ talk of seeing a bobcat every now and then and something’s been leaving a rather large “message” for me on the back lawn. I suppose it could be a large cat of some sort although we’ve never seen one here. That or one of my neighbors has a real sick sense of humor. <_<