Trade ML/Marvin in Balti

rwalling

From Miami grad and great American Mark Curnutte at the Enquirer, this hard hitting bit of journalism...

-- From Baltimore, Sun NFL columnist Mike Preston has launched this trial balloon, speculating that the Ravens might trade draft picks to the Bengals to release Marvin Lewis from the final three seasons of his contract in order to hire Lewis to replace the fired Brian Billick as head coach:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/footbal...0,234842.column

If I read that right it's Mark's speculation on some other "journalist"'s speculation. So naturally as any good zoner would do, I pile on.

If the Ratbirds offered say a second or third rounder for ML, would you take it?

Personally, I'd take a second round pick and wish Marvin well.

If the Ratbirds offered say a second or third rounder for ML, would you take it?

Yes. If they offered a free Ravens towel and a gatorade for ML I would gladly take it. However this speculation? Nahh. Won't happen. They fired Billick for ONE bad season. They want to that 14-2 Colts level, not the 8-8 Bengals level anyways so not gonna happen.

Not interested. But I can see how this rumor started. Remember, Ray Ray basically got Billick fired. Since he's doing the firing, he's probably yammering about who they should hire. I'm sure all his memories of his glory days with Marvin are good.

I would do it for a swap of first rounders and a second. I like Marvin alot and highly respect him and what he has accomplished for this football team but, the NFL is all about talent and with three selections in the top 50 we could greatly increase the talent pool.

As for "trading coaches" Oakland sent Gruden to Tampa for 4 picks, Herm Edwards was released by the Jets for a 4th rounder, and Parcells was sent to the Jets for a first rounder so it is not like it hasn't happened before, the coach of course has to agree to the move and then what you are doing is receiving compensation for releasing that coach from his contractual obligation.

Maybe get Ellis, Bowman, and Crable?

I would do it for a swap of first rounders and a second. I like Marvin alot and highly respect him and what he has accomplished for this football team but, the NFL is all about talent and with three selections in the top 50 we could greatly increase the talent pool.

As for "trading coaches" Oakland sent Gruden to Tampa for 4 picks, Herm Edwards was released by the Jets for a 4th rounder, and Parcells was sent to the Jets for a first rounder so it is not like it hasn't happened before, the coach of course has to agree to the move and then what you are doing is receiving compensation for releasing that coach from his contractual obligation.

Maybe get Ellis, Bowman, and Crable?

Pipe dream. Marvin has a better deal in Cincy. Plus for his new team, a pricy trade would add a couple years to his rebuilding in BalMore. Plus ol RayRay is getting old. That D ain't what it was 8 years ago in Marvin's hayday.

But the main reason I can't see it is this.....................

CARSON PALMER plays for Cincy, not Balmore.

If Lewis wanted out I would expect Mike Brown to want 2 first round picks which Baltimore cant give up due to rebuilding.

Another scenario that could possibly work would be a swap in which Lewis becomes HC for the Ravens and the Bengals get Rex Ryan as their HC .. Trade would hinge on Ryan signing a contract with the Bengals......

Don't get me wrong, I would be fine with keeping the status quo, but there is enough buzz from McAllister and the Baltimore Sun that it deserves comment.

Well, you can currently read 123 comments if you follow the link attached to the article. After scrolling through 7 pages worth I found one Raven fan who supported the idea of trading draft picks for Lewis. One other felt it was an option to be explored only if Baltimore's head coaching search continues to go badly.

More?

Opinions on Lewis vary, but two things were mentioned in nearly every response. First, the Ravens, according to their own fans, are an aging wreck of a team that needs every draft pick it has to rebuild. I agree completely. Second, the Ravens lack discipline, now considered to be Lewis's greatest weakness.

All things considered the only conclusion I reached is Baltimore has at least one sportswriter as bad as Paul Daugherty and Chick Ludwig, which is sorta remarkable.

I don't want to lose Marvin,But I would not be upset if he wanted the job simply because ravens show they want wins more then the bengals.

]Yes. If they offered a free Ravens towel and a gatorade for ML I would gladly take it. However this speculation? Nahh. Won't happen. They fired Billick for ONE bad season. They want to that 14-2 Colts level, not the 8-8 Bengals level anyways so not gonna happen.

1 bad season? he's actually had 3.

I don't mean to squaah the thread or anything but I'm sure they banned trading picks for coaches after the Gruden fiasco back in '93.

Herm Edwards?Was he not traded to the chiefs?

To get Lewis, the Ravens would have to compensate the Bengals. Six years ago, draft picks and cash got Jon Gruden from Oakland to Tampa. The notoriously miserly Bengals would surely love to get some money for a guy on whom they might currently be having second thoughts anyway.

The Chiefs definately gave a 4th rounder for Herm Edwards which was just two years ago.

"Following the 2005 season, Carl Peterson, president of the Kansas City Chiefs heavily leaked stories to the press about Edwards in a pattern of behaviors that could have been considered tampering. At the time, Edwards had two years remaining on his contract with the Jets. However, this was the coach that Peterson wanted to be the successor to Dick Vermeil, who had just retired. As the rumors started swirling, a war of words between the two teams began to start up in the media. In the midst of all the speculation, Edwards tried to use what leverage he had with the Jets to get a contract extension with a hefty pay raise from the Jets, which only served to further anger the club's owner. Eventually, the two teams worked out a deal, and the Chiefs sent the Jets a 4th round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft as compensation (the Jets later used this selection to take Leon Washington)."

from wikipedia.org LINK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Edwards

PFT chimes in on the issue:

POSTED 2:59 p.m. EST, January 9, 2008

RAVENS TO LOOK TO MARVIN?

Not long ago, we thought that Marvin Lewis was trying to get himself fired by the Bengals.

Maybe the truth is that he's merely looking to be traded.

Per the Baltimore Sun, the Ravens aren't at the point of pulling off such a deal. But, reportedly, they could get there.

Lewis was the defensive coordinator in Baltimore when the Ravens won Super Bowl XXXV, and Lewis has done a good-but-not-great job with the Bengals. In Cincy, however, the problem is a broken (and, at times, nonexistent) system of evaluating player talent. The Ravens have a G.M. and a full complement of scouts.

To get Lewis, the Ravens would have to compensate the Bengals. Six years ago, draft picks and cash got Jon Gruden from Oakland to Tampa. The notoriously miserly Bengals would surely love to get some money for a guy on whom they might currently be having second thoughts anyway.

Still, it's hard to imagine a deal like this going down in the same division.

Of the candidates who already have emerged, the Sun reports that president Dick Cass likes Tony Sparano, owner Steve Bisciotti prefers Jason Garrett, and Ozzie Newsome wants to play a little Marty Ball. And that virtually guarantees that the winner will be none of those three.

Regardless of how it shakes out, we've got a feeling that Bisciotti will take a page from the Rooney playbook and make a once-in-a-generation hire. Our guess is that Bisciotti doesn't want to be looking for a new guy every three or four years, and that he hopes to stick with one guy over the long haul.

Unless a lot of people on this message board write for PFT, they aren't the only ones that see the Bengals as misery and with a "broken system of evaluating talent."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/columni...0,490169.column

My friend from Orlando just sent me this. I think Marvin would be more successful back in Baltimore. Would anyone carry hard feelings if this occurred?

My concern is that if we dump Lewis and he goes to the Ratbirds he’ll only succeed in finally building the kind of team we always dreamed he’d build for us there. Mostly because he’d finally have a GM who understands players and the modern NFL and would allow Marvin to hire talented assistant coaches and he’d have scouts that can actually identify talented players and sign decent FA’s.

And further, we’d probably only use the draft picks we received from them to draft great character guys who are so-so players or worse still, talented players who are bad character guys while we slip further into another decade long slump of 4-12 seasons….again.

I have NO faith in SoP’s ability to replace Coach Lewis with anybody remotely competent. Marvin may not be Belichick but he’s not Dave Shula either. <_<

PFT chimes in on the issue:

So now we have a horrible article being used as rumor fodder by one of the least credible websites in the sports universe.

I guess the only thing missing is the girls from "The View" weighing in with their opinions.

Now now...the last big article about the Bengals that PFT put forth had to do with the coaching changes with the Bengals...and a few days later two coaches were fired...

I think it is funny how the Baltimore article says "Lewis has had only 1 losing season", while everything here in Bengal-ville says Marvin's had only "one winning season." I find that very interesting.

I doubt that this will ever happen for a variety of reasons but you never know. My hope is that we somehow pry Ryan away from them but I doubt that will happen either.

The line in the article about getting 1st round pick for Kyle Boller was comical as well.