Sapp retires

Bengals1

Whether the Bengals deal was actually better probably wasn't that important to them because I do believe that they played us into getting an "acceptable" deal with someone else that turned out to be the Raiders.

Agreed. That said, it's just another reminder of the Bengals not being able to compete evenly in regards to free agency, as the only realistic scenario that would have resulted in Sapp becoming a Bengals begins and ends with the Bengals agreeing to pay more for a player than other teams.

On paper going to Oakland was a good thing for him at the time. He seemed to fit in with that franchise and he had a marketable name to go along with a higher profile team than the Bengals so I can't say I blame him.

Actually, Sapp would fave been a better fit in Cincy...at least on the playing field. Immediately after signing with Oakland Sapp was shifted into a DE role that he hated, and struggled badly trying to adapt to. In fact, when Sapp's lack of production was noted by Cincy writers questioning if the Bengals had dodged a bullet by missing out on Sapp, Marvin Lewis was quick to point out how the Bengals had no plans to use him as an oversized run stuffing DE. Lewis went on to state that Sapp was poorly suited for that role and could still be very productive as a DT. And that was proven the following season when Sapp's play rebounded after being moved back inside.

Bottom Line: It's almost impossible to say with any certainty what difference Sapp would have made had he signed with the Bengals, but facts are facts and it's hard to say Sapp didn't waste all of his final days playing for a Raider franchise that quickly bottomed out almost from the day he arrived.