1st FA Signing: Kyries Hebert

HoosierCat

Just saw a report the Bengals signed this guy. Safety or LB, I'm not sure. In the CFL for the last four years. Apparently they tried to get him last year but got stoned by Winnepeg...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists/Fries...551347-sun.html

And there's this:

Early this year he was charged with assaulting his wife, which is what initially scared off most CFL teams in the dispersal draft. The charges have since been reduced to misdemeanours through a plea bargain.

Great. Well, hopefully he's not BSing when he says he's shaped up.

From Lance's blog:

Bengals news

The Bengals today signed free agent safety Kyries Hebert to a two-year contract. His name is pronounced “KYE-riss AY-bear.”

Hebert (6-3, 220; Louisiana-Lafayette) is classified a first-year NFL player. He has played the last four seasons (2004-07) in the Canadian Football League, competing for Ottawa in 2004-05 and for Winnipeg in 2006-07. He was a leading performer on the Winnipeg team that advanced to the 2007 Grey Cup championship game, losing to Saskatchewan. The Blue Bombers had the CFL’s second-ranked defense.

A three-time team tackling leader at Louisiana-Lafayette, Hebert signed his first pro contract as a college free agent with Minnesota of the NFL in April of 2002. He was on the Houston Texans 53-player roster (inactive) for the final game of the 2002 season. He was briefly on Tampa Bay’s offseason roster in 2005.

Also a link to this vid of him:

Official word from the site...not on the front page for some reason but if you click the last story and then bump the ID number up one you get this:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6576

Roster move

January 2, 2008

Two years after plucking starting linebacker Rashad Jeanty from Canada, the Bengals signed free agent safety Kyries Hebert to a two-year contract Wednesday and issued the following press release.

Hebert (6-3, 220; Louisiana-Lafayette) is classified a first-year NFL player. He has played the last four seasons (2004-07) in the Canadian Football League, competing for Ottawa in 2004-05 and for Winnipeg in 2006-07. He was a leading performer on the Winnipeg team that advanced to the 2007 Grey Cup championship game, losing to Saskatchewan. The Blue Bombers had the CFL's second-ranked defense.

A three-time team tackling leader at Louisiana-Lafayette, Hebert signed his first pro contract as a college free agent with Minnesota of the NFL in April of 2002. He was on the Houston Texans 53-player roster (inactive) for the final game of the 2002 season. He was briefly on Tampa Bay's offseason roster in 2005.

Welcome to Cincy, Kyries. We need a nickname. How about K-Bear?

Probably the most unimpressive highlight video I've ever seen, and another criminal to boot. Nothing but late hits and garbage tackles against scrubs.

Ugh.

Why the hell are the Bengal's in such a hurry to give a roster spot to this guy already? You can't tell me other NFL teams are beating down his door?

Hopefully nothing more than a ST's guy at best - at least he can cover some.

I suppose this means Madeiu and Dexter are goners.

Well, as far as I can tell teams is basically his thing, so yeah, WTF, bring him on board. There's also this from his wikipedia entry...

Hebert then moved up North to Canada where he played in the 2004 and 2005 seasons with the Ottawa Renegades. He quickly became one of the most feared hitters and Special Teams players in the CFL. In December of 2005, Hebert signed a controversial five-year contract with Ottawa that would have made him one of the highest paid Defensive players in the CFL. However, the Ottawa organization folded and it appeared that Hebert was going to become a free agent and eligible to pursue the NFL. That all changed in April of 2006 when the Winnipeg Bombers claimed Hebert off of waivers from Ottawa just as Hebert was about to sign a new contract with the Cincinnati Bengals. After appealing the claim with the CFL Players Association, Hebert agreed to a settlement contract for two years with Winnipeg. In the 2007 season, an Hebert led defense helped Winnipeg reach the Grey Cup.

So it sounds like this guy was at least seen as a top guy at his position in the CFL. If he turns out to be another Jeanty, great -- we can use some hardworking lunchpail types on D and STs. If not...well, who cares?

Probably the most unimpressive highlight video I've ever seen, and another criminal to boot. Nothing but late hits and garbage tackles against scrubs.

Ugh.

Why the hell are the Bengal's in such a hurry to give a roster spot to this guy already? You can't tell me other NFL teams are beating down his door?

your schtick is wearing thin.........

So it sounds like this guy was at least seen as a top guy at his position in the CFL. If he turns out to be another Jeanty, great -- we can use some hardworking lunchpail types on D and STs. If not...well, who cares?

Agreed,CFL product or not I'd welcome what he brought on the video :o

Ugh.

your schtick is wearing thin.........

My apologies then. "Kare Bear" was a saavy pick-up as the Bengals' couldn't wait to get their off-season started by rotating in another CFL player cut from NFL camps a couple of years ago. While his video is not overly impressive, he has a shot to make the roster as a cover guy and back-up Safety. His criminal record is of no concern to the Bengals.

Alot of the same was said about Jeanty when he came into camp. The whol camp fodder thing and nothing more than ST and we have a better than average LB. We should be so fortunate again, but we will see. The line I liked ??

He quickly became one of the most FEARED hitters and Special Teams players in the CFL

Nice !!!

WHODEY !!!

Alot of the same was said about Jeanty when he came into camp. The whol camp fodder thing and nothing more than ST and we have a better than average LB. We should be so fortunate again, but we will see. The line I liked ??

He quickly became one of the most FEARED hitters and Special Teams players in the CFL

Nice !!!

WHODEY !!!

Feared by who his wife????? Lewis said he wanted good character people.. He lied ..

Thug City Bengals.... I hope the guy breaks his leg .......

I hope the guy breaks his leg

Wow, just wow...

WHODEY !!!

Im not much on wife beaters and I read the report.

He beat her face, slammed her into the wall and caused a huge bump on her forehead and

then held her head under a tub full of water yelling "Ill kill you"

All over a damn cellphone....

He was charged with aggravated assault and faced 2-20yrs and his lawyer pleaded in down

to two misdemeanors..

He's a piece of sh-t in my book and yeah I hope he breaks his damn leg ...

sorry if you dont like it.

Wow, just wow...

WHODEY !!!

He beat her face, slammed her into the wall and caused a huge bump on her forehead and

He was charged with aggravated assault and faced 2-20yrs and his lawyer pleaded in down

to two misdemeanors..

yeah he deserves to break his leg (or something) and hope he doesn't make the final roster. I don't "cheer" for guys like that, same with Rucker. It's one thing to just be a big, dumb jock a$$hole (see Chris Henry), no shortage of those in pro sports, but a woman beater is different.

Wow, just wow...

WHODEY !!!

to two misdemeanors..

Wow, just wow...

WHODEY !!!

to two misdemeanors..

yeah he deserves to break his leg (or something) and hope he doesn't make the final roster. I don't "cheer" for guys like that, same with Rucker. It's one thing to just be a big, dumb jock a$$hole (see Chris Henry), no shortage of those in pro sports, but a woman beater is different.

The bitch probably deserved it!

K-Bear looks like the CFL version of Roy Williams with all them nasty tackles and big hits. This dudes a head-hunter, me likes!!! He doesn't seem to be affraid of anything... I like the signature airplane move too.