5 questions facing the Bengals for the 2008 season

Ox

5 questions facing the Bengals for the 2008 season

1. DO THE BENGALS KEEP THEIR COORDINATORS OR MAKE A CHANGE?

Early signs are they won't change, though Bob Bratkowski's offense has leveled off around the No. 10 ranking in the NFL and Chuck Bresnahan's defense can't get out of the 20s. Widespread injuries at running back and linebacker hurt.

If they would make a change, a couple of names to keep in mind: Offensive coordinator - current Bengals quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese, who is annually courted for a promotion by other teams. Defensive - Bengals staff consultant Donnie Henderson, the former Jets coordinator and long-time Lewis confidant; or Dick Nolan, Lewis' successor as Ravens defensive coordinator who might be let go as 49ers head coach.

2. WHAT TO DO AT OFFENSIVE TACKLE?

Stacy Andrews played well in 11 starts at right tackle in place of the injured Willie Anderson. Anderson is optimistic about returning in 2008 healthy and ready to start. Levi Jones has come on strong at left tackle, where Andrew Whitworth is a solid backup. How much money will the Bengals be willing to offer Andrews, who figures to be a popular target as a free agent, and would Andrews be willing to return without a chance to start?

3. WHO WILL BE THE NO. 1 RUNNING BACK?

Rudi Johnson missed five games with a hamstring injury and is due a $3.2 million base salary this coming season. He has two years remaining on his deal. Will the Bengals terminate his contract or bring him to training camp to see how much of his sub-par 2007 performance was the result of the hamstring? Furthermore, how confident are the Bengals that injured tailbacks Kenny Irons and Chris Perry can come back, and how much do they trust the current tandem of Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey?

4. DO THEY RE-SIGN DEFENSIVE END JUSTIN SMITH?

Nothing against Smith's performance - no one on the roster works harder - but can the Bengals afford a top-dollar price for an end that doesn't get double-digit sacks? To Smith's credit, he's always near 100 tackles and started his 107th consecutive game Sunday at Miami. The club and Smith's agent, Jim Steiner, have been unable to reach agreement on a multi-year contract. Smith is still young; he turns 29 on Sept. 30.

5. AND DO THEY EXTEND THE CONTRACT OF RECEIVER T.J. HOUSHMANDZADEH?

He is first-time Pro Bowler that has improved with age, but he turned 30 in September. He has one year remaining on his current contract and is due a $2.625 million salary in 2008. He will command a significant raise.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0342/1066/rss07

They should change. Both of 'em. But they won't. <_<

Give Stacy a hearty handshake and wish him good luck with the Jets. Draft a G/C in round 2. Give Adam Keift one more training camp, maybe his luck will change. Throw the money you don't give Stacy at a top-tier DT or DE FA.

Not Rudi, I hope. Perry ought to be fine by next camp. Watson and D3 are servicable. We'll see about Irons. Use Rudi's $$$ savings to extend TJ.

Only if they can get him for $4m/year or less. Otherwise take the $$$, combine it with Stacy's savings, and throw it at a DE or DT FA. Whichever one you don't get in FA is they way you go in the first.

5. AND DO THEY EXTEND THE CONTRACT OF RECEIVER T.J. HOUSHMANDZADEH

Yes.

They should change. Both of 'em. But they won't. <_<

It's funny that based on Marvin's comments that the coaches may leave because of better opportunities gives me the thought that that may be the only way that he can get rid of the coaches. That's kind of like Marvin's saying of last year less is more or gaining from losing.

Give Stacy a hearty handshake and wish him good luck with the Jets. Draft a G/C in round 2. Give Adam Keift one more training camp, maybe his luck will change. Throw the money you don't give Stacy at a top-tier DT or DE FA.

I don't know if I would move so quickly on that one. I would try to sign him for a reasonable amount and bring all of them to training camp if I could. They could always make the decision while in training camp.

Not Rudi, I hope. Perry ought to be fine by next camp. Watson and D3 are servicable. We'll see about Irons. Use Rudi's $$$ savings to extend TJ.

I think that Rudi is gone and I'm figuring if both Perry and Irons are ready to go that they hammer the team with Perry, Irons, and Dorsey every game and have Jermi running and blocking too.

Only if they can get him for $4m/year or less. Otherwise take the $$$, combine it with Stacy's savings, and throw it at a DE or DT FA. Whichever one you don't get in FA is they way you go in the first.

I think they should resign Smith and hopefully he and his agent will settle for a reasonable number. I think that his numbers may be down due to the LB play over the past season. If that is true and the coaches would know whether it's true or not then they should try to keep him.

5. AND DO THEY EXTEND THE CONTRACT OF RECEIVER T.J. HOUSHMANDZADEH

Yes.

Ditto!

Also, I think that Cincinnati needs to make a trade with one of the teams that has the #1 or #2 pick and go after some pass rushing talent. This team is not getting any younger and they need to get rid of some of the overstalked players on the team anyway. How about bundling up 3 or 4 players in a trade for a #1 or 2 pick.

Also, I think that Cincinnati needs to make a trade with one of the teams that has the #1 or #2 pick and go after some pass rushing talent. This team is not getting any younger and they need to get rid of some of the overstalked players on the team anyway. How about bundling up 3 or 4 players in a trade for a #1 or 2 pick.

I would not mind them bundling some picks and trading up, especially if they score 3 or 4 comp picks. Those can't be traded but they open the door to trading the picks that can. IMHO this teams needs more vets and less youth.

But players? I dunno who. You can talk about a guy like Chad, but if you trade him you just have draft a replacement. Doesn't really help in terms of adding to the pass rush.

Doubt we can get up to 1 or 2, but if we could move up in the second or nab an extra third that works for me.