Palmer: Should be changes on coaching staff

Bengals1

From Mark Curnutte's blog....

Monday, December 31, 2007

Quarterback Carson Palmer met with reporters this morning in the Bengals locker room and, in typical fashion, answered questions honestly.

He talked of the need for the Bengals to put the disappointing season behind them and come back a rejuvinated team with a tighter focus and more disciplined.

Then he was asked if the same coaching staff can lead that turnaround.

"I don't think so," Palmer said.

Do you think there should be a change in coaches?

"I think so," he said.

Do you think there will be?

"Like I said, I don't make those decisions. I play quarterback."

Do you know what's going on?

"No."

Even in terms of the coaches you work most closely with, quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese and offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski?

"No. Like I said. I don't know."

Throughout much of the Bengals now-completed 7-9 season,Palmer looked tired and worn out.

This morning we found out why.

"Oh, yeah. I think the amount of sleep I lost this year. I think I've aged. I'm 28 going on 34. I think I lost a couple years," he said. "Frustrating. Times I felt sick to my stomach and I didn't have the flu. Just a long, long, frustrating year, but in saying that, I wish we could start all over and play 16 games right now. I'm not ready to go home.

"This is my most disappointing year of any sports, junior Pop Warner to T-ball to now. The losses, the way we lost, the fact we're going to be watching the playoffs from our couches, the fact we don't have practice next week."

Would would he do to improve the team?

"We have enough problems and enough areas we need to improve on that it's not a short list," he said. "Hopefully the things will happen that need to happen for us to be the team we can be. I haven't been asked. Like I said, I would love to give input, and I have great input to give."

Is the window of opportunity closing on the core group of Bengals key players?

"I don't think so," he said. "(But) every year you say that. Pretty soon next year you're retiring and hanging them up. The guys on this team who need to realize that realize that. Pretty soon it's over, you're an alum or a fan and have to get a real job and put on a suit every day. We need to approach this offseason in a new way and come back a rejuvinated team."

Someone mentioned in another thread that if it comes down to Marvin vs. Chad - Lewis may be the odd man out " 'cause Chad sells jerseys."

While there is some truth in that statement if it comes down to Palmer/Lewis vs. Chad I'm going to bet Ocho Cinco is the one wearing another uniform next season. ;)

Someone mentioned in another thread that if it comes down to Marvin vs. Chad - Lewis may be the odd man out " 'cause Chad sells jerseys."

While there is some truth in that statement if it comes down to Palmer/Lewis vs. Chad I'm going to bet Ocho Cinco is the one wearing another uniform next season. ;)

That was me. I agree with you about Palmer vs. Chad though. Whatever helps bring in the money I guess. However, I suspect (maybe it's actually hope ) all three will be back next year.

That was me. I agree with you about Palmer vs. Chad though. Whatever helps bring in the money I guess. However, I suspect (maybe it's actually hope ) all three will be back next year.

I don't completely dismiss your point, SoP is all about the bottom line after all. But realistically, if we could make the playoffs again next year, Duke Nukem jerseys would sell just as well if you catch my drift. ;)

How do we know any cordinators are going to get fired some might leave to pursue new jobs, but i really dont buy into any of this blow up crap and i dont see marvin doing anything about it. So next year when this team is in the same boat we can look back and say that he lied and never says what he is going to do.

Saw this note today...John Clayton says Carson wants Zampese tossed.

ESPN's John Clayton reports Carson Palmer's recent comments about wanting changes on the coaching staff were not directed at head coach Marvin Lewis. Clayton says Palmer wants Lewis to remain the Bengals' coach and to do what he thinks will help Lewis be successful. It's believed Palmer isn't happy with QBs coach Ken Zampese, who was a relatively hot name last offseason. Zampese was interviewed for the Panthers' offensive coordinator job.

Saw this note today...John Clayton says Carson wants Zampese tossed.

ESPN's John Clayton reports Carson Palmer's recent comments about wanting changes on the coaching staff were not directed at head coach Marvin Lewis. Clayton says Palmer wants Lewis to remain the Bengals' coach and to do what he thinks will help Lewis be successful. It's believed Palmer isn't happy with QBs coach Ken Zampese, who was a relatively hot name last offseason. Zampese was interviewed for the Panthers' offensive coordinator job.

Interesting....Would like more details on what would cause Carson to want Zampese out....

At the least, we know that Carson cares. That's a starting point.

What if Chad said the same exact thing??? To play devil's advocate (being I stand behind Carson 100%) what gives Carson a free pass on these comments? Why is it not seen as "causing a rift" with the coaches, or being a prima donna?

i think carson is referring mainly to brat and bresh. does he have the right to say those things? yes he does he is a top qb and a leader on this team, marvin best interest better be to keep this guy happy. trust me carson's job security is far greater than anyone on this team including marvin! not only that , but carson is 1000% correct on his statement, as far as i am concerned, i am glad carson made those statements. those changes should have happend after last season!

Rudi's gone, J. Smith is gone, Thorton's gone, LJ's gone if he wants a bigger contract, same for Madieu and Dexter (although Dex has another year so he'll probably stay), Brat and Bresh are gone, Caleb Miller's gone. Can't bag the LB coach as to he didn't have much to work with, he gets another year. D-Line coach, very questionable.

Chad stays, Palmer stays, Marv stays; these three are garunteed the same as that MB himself isn't gone next season!

Glad to see Palmer go public with his emotions and opinnions.

What if Chad said the same exact thing??? To play devil's advocate (being I stand behind Carson 100%) what gives Carson a free pass on these comments? Why is it not seen as "causing a rift" with the coaches, or being a prima donna?

I don't see it that way because CP is always front and center taking blame when things go badly (even if it is not his fault). So, yeah, I find him pretty credible and if those are his feelings, I raise an eyebrow and take it with some significance.

What gives Carson a free pass on things like this ?? One, he is the leader of this team and is always very professional and willing to take responsibility almost to a fault, as someone had mentioned and is still one of the top QB's in the league. Couple that with the fact that he's what this franchise has been built around (check his contract) and you have all you need to answer that particular question...

WHODEY !!!

I don't see it that way because CP is always front and center taking blame when things go badly (even if it is not his fault). So, yeah, I find him pretty credible and if those are his feelings, I raise an eyebrow and take it with some significance.

Precisely the way I feel about it. Carson is one guy who doesn't say things for s**ts and giggles.

First, Chad has said the same type of things. Only recently he complained that from the start of this past season his new position coach emphasized the things he doesn't do well, unlike Hue Jackson's habit of constantly blowing sunshine up Ocho's skinny patoot.

Next, Chad's problems should be easily correctable, but he repeatedly refuses to accept responsibility and insists that he'll change nothing. Worse, he jokes about his shortcomings and year after year they remain problems. Meanwhile, Palmer has no problem with accepting blame, even when it's undeserved, and his playing problems, demonstrated almost weekly by high throw after high throw, seem to be rooted in throwing technique and footwork....problems he didn't have until recently.