Jobs riding on finish

Ox

Jobs riding on finish

Departures could come on staff, as well as the roster

BY MARK CURNUTTE

The Bengals will head to Miami with the chance to add a respectable 5-3 second-half finish to their miserable 2-6 opening half.

Then the fun will begin.

Few NFL teams face as many offseason questions as the Bengals on the coaching and player personnel fronts.

Except for head coach Marvin Lewis, signed through 2010, and possibly wide receivers coach Mike Sheppard, contracts will expire after the season for all coaches. (In February 2006 the Bengals announced two-year extensions, through the 2007 season, for all coaches, including coordinators Bob Bratkowski on offense and Chuck Bresnahan on defense.)

The Bengals have a dozen potential unrestricted free agents, including five current starters. It's believed that conversations, not necessarily firm offers, have started with offensive lineman Stacy Andrews, linebacker Landon Johnson and safety Madieu Williams. Contract talks are believed to be continuing on a potential multi-year deal for defensive end Justin Smith, whom upper management would like to bring back.

Does the season's second half count as much, more or less than the first half, when six losses in eight games doomed playoff chances?

"Every time you go out, it's the body of work that you evaluate, not the emotional ups and downs," Lewis said Monday, the day after the Bengals won for the fourth time in the past seven games.

After the 19-14 victory that could be the death knell for the Browns' playoff chances, several Bengals players talked of how a strong finish could have a positive effect on the 2008 season.

Sunday was a coming-out party for rookie safeties Chinedum Ndukwe and Marvin White. And rookie cornerback Leon Hall and second-year cornerback Johnathan Joseph - the team's past two first-round draft picks - have improved throughout the season.

Linebacker Dhani Jones, a free agent signed in September, has performed well and led the team with 11 total tackles Sunday. He can be an unrestricted free agent.

Question marks surround the returns of safety Dexter Jackson and cornerback Deltha O'Neal, whose contracts are not up after the season.

Blow up the defense or stand pat? The answer probably lies somewhere in between, closer, though, to the stand-pat end of the spectrum. With the salary cap ballooning to $116 million from $109 million, will the Bengals make a splash on a major free agent the likes of Indianapolis safety Bob Sanders? The answer is probably not.

Even with six relatively solid efforts in the past seven games - the defense was horrible at San Francisco - the Bengals are still ranked 27th in total defense, 23rd against the run and 25th against the pass.

But the Cincinnati offense, despite its 10th overall ranking in total yards, has not played well. The defense gift-wrapped both of its touchdowns on interceptions inside the two-minute warning of the first half against the Browns.

The Bengals won with 19 points for the second time in three games. The offense has scored 19 or fewer points in four consecutive games and six times in 15 games this season.

The Bengals have scored 13 points three times, all losses, and 10 in the most recent of two losses to the Steelers.

Players with years left on their contracts might be released on offense. Attention has focused in recent weeks on tailback Rudi Johnson, inactive Sunday for the fourth time this year because of a hamstring injury.

Johnson is scheduled to be paid a $3.2 million based in 2008 and $3.6 million in 2009. His contract includes a $200,000 workout bonus. The Bengals would save an estimated $1.4 million on the salary cap next year if Johnson were released.

He has just 497 yards and a 2.9-yard average this season. How confident are the Bengals that injured tailbacks Kenny Irons and Chris Perry can come back, and do they trust the current tandem of Kenny Watson and DeDe Dorsey?

Questions about team plans for the offseason surfaced again Monday at Lewis' news conference.

"Every year is a clean slate, but when you're successful, there are reasons for that, and in this case, there have been some young players who have had opportunities to do good things," he said. "They've gotten their feet wet and they've experienced the expectations and the disappointment, as well as the positives. I think as they regroup, recharge, retool for their next opportunities, they're better served to do what it takes to get to that next level again."

Lewis himself might not yet know the fate of some of his assistant coaches or the coordinators. Lewis and Bengals president Mike Brown are scheduled to hold their year-end meeting Monday morning after the team returns from South Florida.

Then Lewis will hold his post-season news conference later Monday. For this week, though, specifics were non-existent.

"This group continues to prepare very hard. It keeps you from getting stale when you have guys getting new opportunities to play" is all Lewis would allow.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...PT02/712250334/

I would rather them just end the whole Justin Smith era... He's not going to get any better and a pure pass rushing DE oppisite Geathers would be a much needed upgrade to this defense. I just don't get why you would want to sign him to a long term contract at this point. I will say this, if they do go with the "stand pat" position with this defense, I'll be planning on another year of not making the playoffs. Bresnahan needs to go without question. I would like to see them bring Dhani back as well...

WHODEY !!!

As long as those two players happen to be the most dominant DL and the most dominant LB in the league (whoever those two happen to be at the moment, and no, I offer no opinions on their identities) - mebbe so :-)

Still, got to be pleased with how the young secondary is coming into it's own.....better late than never.

Justin Smith must absolutely go away. Good riddance.

Could you give Chris Perry a ride to the bus station on your way out? Thanks.

Not gonna happen. Justin is busy pulling that oxcart out of the ditch. Marvin can't do it because he's the ringmaster. He's not responsible for the defense or oxcarts. Someday we will get the right combination of players and it will all come together and we'll win. Stay the course. We're only one or two players away.

Not gonna happen. Justin is busy pulling that oxcart out of the ditch. Marvin can't do it because he's the ringmaster. He's not responsible for the defense or oxcarts. Someday we will get the right combination of players and it will all come together and we'll win. Stay the course. We're only one or two players away.

Yeah, but when are we ever going to find our King Kong?

As soon as we get the oxcart out of the ditch, we can ride down to the harbor and right the ship. Then we set sail for Skull Island.

As soon as we get the oxcart out of the ditch, we can ride down to the harbor and right the ship. Then we set sail for Skull Island.

:lmao:

Ah, so you spent the Holidays with Spain.......and your very merry christmas continues.......

Anyway, I believe the core contractual agreement with the NFLPA dictates that for a player to remain with a team (sans unconditional release) there must be a 10% raise from the previous year. Given that we paid Justin like he was the second coming of Reggie White, I pray to the good lord above that we don't decide it'd be a good idea to take Reggie's salary and add another 10% for what is sure to be (yet again) no better than an average performance, if that.

brat and bres have to go, they are totally worthless the cannot game plan, make adjustment or even be consistent. they are a major part of the reasons the bengals struggle. how many times have you watched a game and said, damn that was a good call or the bengals made some key adjustments at the half to win that game. almost never it more like WTF was that, why the hell did they do that. also add huntley, simmons, and alexander to that list also. along with the whole damn medical staff. then promote zampesse to oc, jim anderson asst hc.

players, if justin commands high dollar let him walk. big willie take a pay cut or show him the door. frostiee, b rob, dexter, thorton, miller, deltha, fanene, perry, chatman, time for them to fly. guys like, pollack, brooks, c perry, rudi, it's time to make a decision on them also if they can come back healthy and be productive keep them, if they cannot time to cut ties with them also. no more waisted spots on could be or maybes.

guys i would like to see brought back are madieu, andrews, landon, and jones, also marshell is he can come back healthy.

free agents, i would like to see the likes of briggs, suggs, allen, and haynesworth, at the very least brought in and try to get at least one or two of them, preferably hanyesworth and briggs.

draft, lb, dline, oline, te, wr, rb, the main player i really want if he comes out is gholston, this guy is a beast and has a huge upside.

i would like to also see a couple more scout and a real gm brought in. i doubt that will happen or for the most part a lot of what i suggest will either, but damn i can always hope can't i? ANYWAYS GO BENGALS! :cheers:

Marvin: don't expect big changes.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6557

Notes: No major changes?

By GEOFF HOBSON

December 26, 2007

Updated: 3:30 p.m.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said Wednesday he doesn't expect any "earth-shaking news," after the season and said that speculation has "jumped the gun," when it comes to his coaching staff.

"Don't get your hopes all up Monday," Lewis said, referring to the day after the season. "For the most part we've done our coaches' contracts each and every year so you can relax for the most part. We're not going to have any earth-shaking news that you can run home about."

What and who that means is anyone's guess, but there are indications that there are coaches on the staff that have contracts extending beyond 2007. Lewis has three years left on his deal, but when asked if he expects to be back he said, "I don't know that. You'll have to see."

But before that sentence, Lewis offered a fairly passionate agenda for next season that revolves around making the running game healthier and stopping the big plays on defense, which, really, were the cornerstones he put down when he arrived in 2003.

"We're going to evaluate our players and our coaching and build a better team," Lewis said. "We've got to build a team that can go win games in this division week in and week out. That means being able to run the football more effectively and take care of the football, defend the run and eliminate the explosive plays and make plays on special teams.

"That's what we're going (to) go back and look very, very hard at. How we got started and where we went sideways," Lewis said. "Make sure we get back on track. You're always going to have injuries play a part, but that's no excuse for it. When you have injuries, you have to have your good players step up and go win games for you, and we didn't do a good enough job as coaches to get our guys in position to do that, and that's why we're sitting here looking at not moving on." ...

The Bengals have a dozen potential unrestricted free agents, including five current starters. It's believed that conversations, not necessarily firm offers, have started with offensive lineman Stacy Andrews, linebacker Landon Johnson and safety Madieu Williams.

I'd love to keep LJ and Andrews, but I wasn't the least bit suprised to find out how little I missed Madieu Williams on Sunday.

Contract talks are believed to be continuing on a potential multi-year deal for defensive end Justin Smith, whom upper management would like to bring back.

Under the right circumstances I'd love to see Justin return. That said, I've never gotten a strong feeling that Justin actually wants to return. Worse, getting a long-term deal done now will ony underscore the failure to get an agreement last year.

Linebacker Dhani Jones, a free agent signed in September, has performed well and led the team with 11 total tackles Sunday. He can be an unrestricted free agent.

Should the Bengals determine that Jones isn't the answer, long or short term, I'd like to see the Bengals attempt to fill most of their holes at LB with veteran free agents....even if those moves are limited to nondescript 2nd tier trolling. Simply put, when it comes to LB I'm far more interested in experience than upside.

Question marks surround the returns of safety Dexter Jackson and cornerback Deltha O'Neal, whose contracts are not up after the season.

O'Neal has been much discussed and I have nothing more to add. As for Dexter, not only is he under contract, but he isn't owed any favors. Thus, I'd look to cut him as late as possible, and only then if Marvin White and Ndukwe are impressive...and have improved...in training camp.

[Rudi] Johnson is scheduled to be paid a $3.2 million based in 2008 and $3.6 million in 2009. His contract includes a $200,000 workout bonus. The Bengals would save an estimated $1.4 million on the salary cap next year if Johnson were released.

Unlike Dexter Jackson, Rudi Johnson is owed something by this franchise...including a quick decision about his future. I can live with whatever choice is made, but right now the 1.4 million in cap space created is looking hard to beat.

Should the Bengals determine that Jones isn't the answer, long or short term, I'd like to see the Bengals attempt to fill most of their holes at LB with veteran free agents....even if those moves are limited to nondescript 2nd tier trolling. Simply put, when it comes to LB I'm far more interested in experience than upside.

I'm coming around to this way of thinking as well. It shouldn't be lost on anybody that after the plague of LB injuries the team shopped a nonexistent market of street FA's after the season had already begun and came up with Jones, Marshall and Schlegel who, despite not being ProBowlers, appeared to make as much of a contribution as could have been expected from Simmons (whom I used to consistently defend until he became defenseless) or Miller, etc. In other words, "mediocre veteran" signed at veteran minimum seemed to hold the fort at LB as well as overpriced veteran LB. Maybe it was luck, or maybe it was just that -- outside of a chosen few playmaking LB's -- there's just not that huge a spread there.

While I generally am receptive to building through the draft, since we already have the relatively-raw Brooks who, hopefully, will be a little more durable this season, it would seem prudent to be a little more conservative at LB this season. I'd like to see the draft used to address d-line, end especially, and o-line more than another LB. Although an LB in the 3rd-6th wouldn't bother me. In short, we've already got the "nearly rookie" Brooks to work on, so why take on other rookies as potential starters.

I would rather them just end the whole Justin Smith era... He's not going to get any better and a pure pass rushing DE oppisite Geathers would be a much needed upgrade to this defense. I just don't get why you would want to sign him to a long term contract at this point. I will say this, if they do go with the "stand pat" position with this defense, I'll be planning on another year of not making the playoffs. Bresnahan needs to go without question. I would like to see them bring Dhani back as well...

WHODEY !!!

Agree with everything you say.

There was also no mention of Frazier getting the axe before Chucky was hired and then he was gone... I for one have never taken Marvin at his word. What he says to the media is not always the case...

WHODEY !!!

Very true and he hardly says anything to the media as it is...