Front office showdown coming?

jjakq27

This is suprising coming from Marvin. He is usually very vague with all of his comments and never seems to give a direct answer to anything asked of him. That has been his way since he has been here. I also think this is a sign of complete frustration on his part. Things were going in the right direction until people started getting arrested, injured, and doing drugs / drinking...

Well, here's to hoping they blow some sh*t up !!!

WHODEY !!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RT: Andrews- I think Andrews leaves. Bengals start Willie and draft his replacement.

-_- We have his replacement on the team,We'd be better off finding a guard in rnd 2 or 3 and kicking whitworth to the outside.

DT: Peko- Peko's proven he's a servicable backup, that's it. We should have 2 new starters on D-line next year.

-I doubt this if they've kept JT & Brob on the line as long as they have no way we ditch peko who's still young but has atleast has showed more then any other DT in past 5 years...Though I do hope we go DT in rnd 1 or 2.

LB: Landon- I think Landon goes.

I really hope not,We have to many question marks at postion to lose our only stable LB.

Peko isn't going anywhere and I'm hoping Landon isn't sick of being with this team and he stays as well. I just keep thinking of how much better the D-line would be with a strong guy to disrupt sh*t in the middle and a pass rush. Peko and Geathers would much benefit as well as our secondary !!!

WHODEY !!!

I hope this means that both coordinators are shown the door. I've want brat gone for years now but he keeps being brought back, so I don't really expect him to be fired, but I WANT IT SO BADLY. This offense is plain vanilla...saving rant for another time <_<

As for players, I think TJ has more trade value than CJ. I am hoping for a sign and trade deal. Possession receivers don't get paid by mikey. Someone might give a 2nd rounder for henry, maybe the broncos want him.

Thinking about this team who has trade value?

It's time for us to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch.

"Empty these offices..."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that sounds like certain members of the coaching staff....and maybe the front office....get a hand grenade lobbed into their foxhole.

lol, they don't mean literally, HoF.

But of course you know that.....I'm just laughing at that verbal imagery.

BB is huddled in his office, trying to formulate game plans and exploit matchups for Sunday, and this stick grenade comes crashing through his window.....lol

It's time for us to blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch.

"Empty these offices..."

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but that sounds like certain members of the coaching staff....and maybe the front office....get a hand grenade lobbed into their foxhole.

lol, they don't mean literally, HoF.

But of course you know that.....I'm just laughing at that verbal imagery.

BB is huddled in his office, trying to formulate game plans and exploit matchups for Sunday, and this stick grenade comes crashing through his window.....lol

I too am praying for someone to lob in the Holy Hand Grenade!

HolyHandGrenade.jpg

-_- We have his replacement on the team,We'd be better off finding a guard in rnd 2 or 3 and kicking whitworth to the outside.

I think there has been questions in the past about Whitworth's effectiveness at tackle becasue of his lateral speed. He's better suited at guard.

I just don't see the Bengals paying BOTH Andrews and Willie. I think Willie's got more in him and he's THE leader on offense. He's too valuable considering the Bengals have a lack of leadership. The best combination for success next year is to have a healthy Willie and Levi at the corners.

With Whitworth and Williams at guard, both under contract, that leaves out Andrews who the Bengals are not going to break the bank for, especially to retain as a backup.

I would LIKE to see them retain Andrews but I just don't see it happening.

I'm not making a prediction but it would not surprise me to see some sort of retraction regarding this article on the dotcom in the next few days, maybe sooner. At the very least I would expect Marvin to make one of his (in)famous "clarifications" which will disappoint all and sundry.

Marvin and/or SoP will find some way to dampen our enthusiasm for the off-season, just wait and see.... <_<

Anyone think this interview is a tactic to get himself out of favor with management and have them show him the door?

I don't see it that way myself. If that was his intention he could have been a lot more inflammatory IMO. This is just candid enough to get the fans excited and yet subtle enough to keep SoP off his keester for saying it.

Nevertheless, I still expect that Marvin will "clarify" his comments soon, perhaps as early as today’s after game press conf.

We'll see... <_<

From Mark Curnutte's blog today....

Sunday, December 30, 2007

So what's the truth?

MIAMI -- At his news conference last week, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said not to expect "earthshaking" news in the offseason and said the media jumped the gun in reporting the potential for changes on the roster and with assistant coaches. He said the club has re-done coaches' contracts but not announced the deals to the media.

The front office, while not allowing any excuses publicly, has pointed to a long list of reasons for the 6-9 season to date -- including series of injuries that "wiped out" the linebacker and running back positions.

Then Lewis told The Columbus Dispatch, in the most general terms, that there's the potential to "blow the whole thing up and start from scratch" -- whatever that means.

"We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch," Lewis told The Dispatch. "Yeah, because we haven't been good enough. We're not going to sit here and be complacent with it."

Bengals president Mike Brown holds the trump card to whatever Lewis might want to do.

For three weeks in a row, I had asked Lewis about the possibility of changes in the offseason. He has either refused to talk about it, even in vague terms, or answered in coach-speak generalities. No one else in the organization is authorized to talk on the record.

What I heard from other reliable sources inside the organization is that the front office doesn't think the Bengals are far away from contention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't sound promising, now does it? <_<

So what's the truth?

MIAMI -- At his news conference last week, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis said not to expect "earthshaking" news in the offseason and said the media jumped the gun in reporting the potential for changes on the roster and with assistant coaches. He said the club has re-done coaches' contracts but not announced the deals to the media.

The front office, while not allowing any excuses publicly, has pointed to a long list of reasons for the 6-9 season to date -- including series of injuries that "wiped out" the linebacker and running back positions.

Then Lewis told The Columbus Dispatch, in the most general terms, that there's the potential to "blow the whole thing up and start from scratch" -- whatever that means.

"We need to empty these shelves, empty these offices and start from scratch," Lewis told The Dispatch. "Yeah, because we haven't been good enough. We're not going to sit here and be complacent with it."

Bengals president Mike Brown holds the trump card to whatever Lewis might want to do.

For three weeks in a row, I had asked Lewis about the possibility of changes in the offseason. He has either refused to talk about it, even in vague terms, or answered in coach-speak generalities. No one else in the organization is authorized to talk on the record.

What I heard from other reliable sources inside the organization is that the front office doesn't think the Bengals are far away from contention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Billy reads this and immediately heads to kitchen, pulls out bottle of bourbon, pours 50/50 mix with coffee, and begins drinking heavily. :(

Billy reads this and immediately heads to kitchen, pulls out bottle of bourbon, pours 50/50 mix with coffee, and begins drinking heavily. :(

Pour two, I'll join you. :sure:

If you bring the Mrs. B1, she'll have to bring the 1896 Broomhandle Mauser Pistol with her. Those things are CLASSIC! :2guns:

I don't know what to make of this. Curnette seems to be making excuses for getting scooped so badly. He just seems to be saying the report isn't accurate. Not accurate? It's an exact transcript of an interview. Curnette asks us to trust his interpretation of remarks made to him by unnamed front office types. The other guy gives us exact quotes from the Head Coach and defacto personnel chief. Think I'll go with Rabinowitz. In my mind Curnette's credibility is falling.

This whole thing is a joke. The Enquirer is trying to save their credibility. I COULD see the coordinators getting rehired but their contracts are up. If the Bengals made a change now is the time. I just really don't see either Brat or Bresh coming back.

If those clowns remain on the staff I will not be using my season tickets next year. So if anyone is interested in north endzone seats for next year, let me know.

Well not exactly the "clarification" I predicted here's what Marvin said after the game about that article:

Ch-ch-ch-changes?

MIAMI -- The Bengals won consecutive games for the first time this season.

Head coach Marvin Lewis wanted to talk more about the game than any changes that might unfold on the coaching staff or roster in the offseason.

"Let's talk about the game today," Lewis said. "We're going make sure that everything, from what I do, is -- there's no changes you're going to know, so you can relax."

Pressed later in his news conference, Lewis offered a little more: "It's been five years. There are things around here that are a little stale. We got to take all those binders from the last five years and get rid of them. Get the offices clean, the boards; clean up, as though there are new people coming in. Whoever's there, we're new people coming in, and understand that. The players have to understand that."

Binders? Does that mean the playbook?

"It's got nothing to do with the playbook," Lewis said. "I'm talking about just in general. You know you go to your garage, and you look at your garage and say, `I got to get rid of this junk.' That's what I'm saying. We just need to freshen up a bit. When our players come back, there will be a fresh outlook, and not that cloud that we've left to hang over our heads."

Players and assistant coaches said after the game that they know changes are coming, but, they added, they don't know what they are.

"A lot of things need to change," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "We have to find a way to run the ball better ... (there is a) lack of execution, lack of discipline. We didn't do our jobs correctly enough. We're a very, very average football team, at best. We've been very average for a number of years."

-------------------------------

Make of this what you will Bengaldom.... <_<

From Mark Curnutte's Enquirer blog....

Ch-ch-ch-changes?

MIAMI -- The Bengals won consecutive games for the first time this season.

Head coach Marvin Lewis wanted to talk more about the game than any changes that might unfold on the coaching staff or roster in the offseason.

"Let's talk about the game today," Lewis said. "We're going make sure that everything, from what I do, is -- there's no changes you're going to know, so you can relax."

Pressed later in his news conference, Lewis offered a little more: "It's been five years. There are things around here that are a little stale. We got to take all those binders from the last five years and get rid of them. Get the offices clean, the boards; clean up, as though there are new people coming in. Whoever's there, we're new people coming in, and understand that. The players have to understand that."

Binders? Does that mean the playbook?

"It's got nothing to do with the playbook," Lewis said. "I'm talking about just in general. You know you go to your garage, and you look at your garage and say, `I got to get rid of this junk.' That's what I'm saying. We just need to freshen up a bit. When our players come back, there will be a fresh outlook, and not that cloud that we've left to hang over our heads."

Players and assistant coaches said after the game that they know changes are coming, but, they added, they don't know what they are.

"A lot of things need to change," quarterback Carson Palmer said. "We have to find a way to run the ball better ... (there is a) lack of execution, lack of discipline. We didn't do our jobs correctly enough. We're a very, very average football team, at best. We've been very average for a number of years." "

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/benga...-ch-changes.asp

Make of this what you will Bengaldom.... <_<

I'd like to, but I lost my "Marvin Speak" decoder ring. :wacko: You have to admit he is a master at the ol' psycho-babble press conference statements!

Agreed. Listening to Marvin talk is like trying to read tea leaves or lamb intestines, it could mean anything. :rolleyes:

I think there has been questions in the past about Whitworth's effectiveness at tackle becasue of his lateral speed. He's better suited at guard.

I just don't see the Bengals paying BOTH Andrews and Willie. I think Willie's got more in him and he's THE leader on offense. He's too valuable considering the Bengals have a lack of leadership. The best combination for success next year is to have a healthy Willie and Levi at the corners.

With Whitworth and Williams at guard, both under contract, that leaves out Andrews who the Bengals are not going to break the bank for, especially to retain as a backup.

I would LIKE to see them retain Andrews but I just don't see it happening.

If Willie can play RT I don't see whitworth's speed holding him back,He did a good job as a LT where you want lighter faster tackles when he was always suited for RT.