Bengals Fans Booing Rudi

XPetey

I wasn't at the Bengals game yesterday, but after talking to some friends who were down there, I found out Bengals fans were booing Rudi Johnson. That makes me sick. In my opinion it is NEVER right to boo a member of a team you claim to support. What does it do except bring a negative atmosphere to Paul Brown Stadium?

I understand where the booing fans are coming from. Rudi Johnson is hurt and has completely underperformed this season. In his absences, Kenny Watson has done surprisingly well, and DeDe Dorsey has shown flashes of being an elusive change of pace back. However, that doesn't mean Rudi doesn't deserve his carries. He's earned them. Only last year he rushed for 1309 yards and 12 TDs. He's fourth on the Bengals' all-time rushing leader board. In 2004 and 2005 he had the best seasons of any Bengals running back EVER. How have Bengals fans so quickly forgotten what he's done for this team?

I have no idea whether or not this season for Rudi was a fluke based on injuries or whether he's sliding down the slippery slope many running backs do after years of wear and tear in the NFL. Either way, he deserves much better than to be booed by knee-jerk Bengals fans. Only last year it was probably those same fans chanting "Rudi! Rudi! Rudi!" after every single one of his carries. How quickly they forget.

I was there and I can only speak to what those around me were saying. Every single person I heard boo was making comments about the coaching and the fact Dorsey didn't get more carries when he clearly had the hot hand. No one insulted Rudi. Personally, I didn't boo. I had my son with me and don't like to set that example.

I was at the game and there was booing -- but, some of the comments I heard was that the folks were unhappy with the predictability of the calls on the runs for Rudi.

Rudi wasn't gaining yards early because EVERYone knew he was coming.

I was surprised how good Rudi looked on that last drive -- even though the defense knew he was coming again and again. He looked like the old Rudi.

I agree that Rudi does not deserve the booing -- I can't say the same thing for the play calling.

Even with that said, I was pleasantly surprised by the screen pass to Dorsey. :cheers:

P.S. It was wet and cold!! :blink:

I guess I just don't understand booing in general...boo the opposition, boo the refs, but how are you helping your team by booing them?

The players down on the field hear booing, but they don't automatically say, "Wow...glad they're booing the playcalling and not me." It doesn't make sense. Proper logic of the situation would show:

a. Rudi Johnson runs the ball

b. Fans boo.

I think it's pretty logical to think that the fans are booing Rudi. It's just silly to boo your own team. Especially when they're winning.

nly last year he rushed for 1309 yards and 12 TD

With a 3.8 avg and the same rudi run style as always,2005 & 2004 he was behind a top 5 Oline.

Rudi's a good guy but he's overrated any RB could have got 1,400 yards behind those line if we fed em the ball as much as we do rudi.

People just wanna see the running game brought to life,they wanna see a RB who can take the ball 40+ yards rather people tackled at the line of scrimmage.Rudi when he gains 10-20 it's from perfect blocking by the Oline,When Dede ran for 45 it was off his own legs.

Rudi had a good day and did his job in the 2nd half. Backs shouldn't have to spin out of tackles in the backfield every play. If your back has to do that, you are dreaming if you think your RB is going to keep that kind of production up. You switch up personnel and do whatever you can.

Dorsey's fun to watch, but people who were booing don't know much about football if they think a 195 pound guy is going to hold up in today's NFL for 15-25 carries a game.

That said the Bengals' could try using him like the Saints use Bush when they had Deuce healthy.

But otherwise I thought Brat and Co. did a good job of using the Rb's properly yesterday. The days of bruising, 30-40 carry franchise backs in the NFL are gone, and the Bengals' need to follow suit.

In my opinion it is NEVER right to boo a member of a team you claim to support.

I make exceptions for clear laziness or selfish behavior. But if a player is giving it his all - like Rudi always does - booing isn't called for.

I'll give the fans the benefit of the doubt, it very well could have been the play calling as mentioned.

As a season ticket holder that endured the weather yesterday I can tell you I was booing louder than anyone in the section.

I was booing alot of things but unfortunately they don't put up a description of each poor decision made by the staff so we can comment on them individually.

A very crappy team beat and even crappier team yesterday. That win was like beating up a crippled kid (their third string QB had the same rating as Palmer).

I booed the play calling because it sucked as usual. I booed Carson Palmer because he gets paid millions of dollars not to throw the ball to the other team (again).

I definetly booed Rudi Johnson for being in the game because he is without a doubt the third best running back we have, injury or otherwise. If he's not healthy then he shouldn't be playing, and if he is healthy he looked like crap running the ball early on. Do you think the booing fans inspired him to try harder? I do.

I love the game of football and the atmosphere at the game when we are winning and competing. I tailgate four hours before the game and love to talk with the Bengals fans and those from the visiting team.

But I am damn sick of being called an idiot for following these pieces of crap and paying thousands to attend the crapfest.

Mike Brown doesn't understand the effect of what this team does to the psyche of the city after a terrible display. I don't want to watch football for the next 3 days. I can't turn on the Sirius radio and listen to the fans and announcers trash talk the city, fans and team. I can't watch the NFL channel for fear that the Bengasl will come up and embarass Cincinnati all over again.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only fan that feels this way, but I am one that is not willing to sit by and accept it. These are the CINCINNATI Bengals. our city is in the name, we have a responsibility to let the organization know that we are unhappy with their poor performance. And what is the best possible venue to do that? Booing at the game when all guilty parties are present and listening.

Ya Warrick Dunn hasn't made it as nfl back shula? People don't wanna see Dede get the load just more then 4 touches.

I'd say in the range of 10-12 touches.Plus it's not Dede who I wanna see get the most touches but watson who has been effective even behind out banged up Oline.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with then?

Warrick is lucky to have more than 20 attempts per game 3-6 times a year throughout his career, sans 2006. How many other backs his size in the league can do that? Only if you're built like Jones-Drew, and even he's having injury problems, as much of a bowling ball as he is.

Got no problem with Dorsey getting a hack at 10-15 carries a game right now.

I was there and I can only speak to what those around me were saying. Every single person I heard boo was making comments about the coaching and the fact Dorsey didn't get more carries when he clearly had the hot hand. No one insulted Rudi. Personally, I didn't boo. I had my son with me and don't like to set that example.

I was there and I agree that the sentiment was booing the play calling not the person. Running the sweep with Rudi does not work yet we do it repeatedly and have for years. And especially now that he has been nicked up. Run the draw or the delayed draw which had some success but don't run the sweep with him.

I did boo but it wasn't directed at Rudi.

...I was booing louder than anyone in the section. ...I was booing alot of things... each poor decision made... ...A very crappy team beat and even crappier team... ...I booed the play calling... ...it sucked... ...I booed Carson Palmer because he gets paid millions... ...I definetly booed Rudi Johnson... ...he looked like crap... ...I am damn sick of... ...crapfest... ...I don't want to watch football... ...I can't turn on the Sirius radio... ...I can't watch the NFL channel... ...embarass Cincinnati...

Sounds like you really enjoyed the win. Please describe your behavior at a game we lose.

I wasn't at the Bengals game yesterday, but after talking to some friends who were down there, I found out Bengals fans were booing Rudi Johnson. That makes me sick. In my opinion it is NEVER right to boo a member of a team you claim to support. What does it do except bring a negative atmosphere to Paul Brown Stadium?

I understand where the booing fans are coming from. Rudi Johnson is hurt and has completely underperformed this season. In his absences, Kenny Watson has done surprisingly well, and DeDe Dorsey has shown flashes of being an elusive change of pace back. However, that doesn't mean Rudi doesn't deserve his carries. He's earned them. Only last year he rushed for 1309 yards and 12 TDs. He's fourth on the Bengals' all-time rushing leader board. In 2004 and 2005 he had the best seasons of any Bengals running back EVER. How have Bengals fans so quickly forgotten what he's done for this team?

I have no idea whether or not this season for Rudi was a fluke based on injuries or whether he's sliding down the slippery slope many running backs do after years of wear and tear in the NFL. Either way, he deserves much better than to be booed by knee-jerk Bengals fans. Only last year it was probably those same fans chanting "Rudi! Rudi! Rudi!" after every single one of his carries. How quickly they forget.

This isn't the first week it's happened. They weren't booing Rudi directly, I'd say it was intended more for the coaching/playcalling which has been down right CRAPPY as of late.

...I was booing louder than anyone in the section. ...I was booing alot of things... each poor decision made... ...A very crappy team beat and even crappier team... ...I booed the play calling... ...it sucked... ...I booed Carson Palmer because he gets paid millions... ...I definetly booed Rudi Johnson... ...he looked like crap... ...I am damn sick of... ...crapfest... ...I don't want to watch football... ...I can't turn on the Sirius radio... ...I can't watch the NFL channel... ...embarass Cincinnati...

Sounds like you really enjoyed the win. Please describe your behavior at a game we lose.

Just don't unsubscribe to Sirius please. Even though the Bengals are crap, you always have Howard Stern 24/7.... I own a few shares which I hope will pay for my daughters college someday!

Dorsey's fun to watch, but people who were booing don't know much about football if they think a 195 pound guy is going to hold up in today's NFL for 15-25 carries a game.

Oh, please. Brian Westbrook goes a whole 203. Willie Parker comes in at 209 Heck, even Joseph Addai just hits 214. And being 224 hasn't helped Chris Perry, has it? Only way to know how much D3 can take is to give him the ball and see.

Oh, please. Brian Westbrook goes a whole 203. Willie Parker comes in at 209 Heck, even Joseph Addai just hits 214. And being 224 hasn't helped Chris Perry, has it? Only way to know how much D3 can take is to give him the ball and see.

Agree. I hate the "we need a big tough durable back to survive in the AFC north" argument.

Look, Rudi got about half his yards on 6 carries in the final few minutes of the game. This was more a funtion of the rams D giving up rather than the "old Rudi" showing up. His previous 17 rushes for 44 yards, a whopping 2.5 yrds per, is far, far more indicative of Rudi's current ability than the final drive.

Rudi, while highly thought of and respected, is at the end of his usefulness as an every down back. Time to face that fact. This does not mean booing him is OK, in fact it is pretty classless. Sad.

Rudi needs to get himself ready to move on to a team who can get him in a tandem where he gets 15 touches behind a line that can give him that lane to hit. Tampa might work for him, Miami and Houston come to mind....maybe even GB.

I watch all the games on DirecTV and while I never boo RJohnson I say some things to the TV that's best said at home and not in a crowd at the game...Now for the fans that pay their $ and sit at a game that's cold and wet if they have displeasure with something on the field I feel you have every right to voice your opinion regardless of who the player is...I like other fans feel that we are a better team with a healthy whoever that a hurt RJohnson...Anyone who's been posting on this board for a while knows that I am not a big RJohnson fan anyway, I think that we need to get capable RB's to run the ball along with RJohnson I just don't think we should be relying on 1 RB all the time to carry the load, 2 backs sharing the load does work...