Steelers' Smith guarantees upset of New England

Steelers' Smith guarantees upset of New England

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

December 5, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Defensive back Anthony Smith is so certain the Pittsburgh Steelers will end the New England Patriots' unbeaten season, he is guaranteeing a win Sunday in Foxborough.

The Patriots (12-0) may have the perfect record, Smith said Wednesday, but it should be New England that is worried about the Steelers (9-3) rather than the other way around.

"People keep asking me if we're ready for the Patriots," Smith said. "They should be asking if they're ready for us."

Is Smith so confident that he is willing to copy one of former Pittsburgh linebacker Joey Porter's familiar motivational ploys by guaranteeing the Steelers will win?

"We're going to win," Smith said. "Yeah, I can guarantee a win. As long as we come out and do what we got to do. Both sides of the ball are rolling, and if our special teams come through for us, we've got a good chance to win."

Despite Smith's abundant optimism, no other Steelers are designating Sunday as guaranteed win day. Linebacker James Farrior, cautioning that Smith hasn't been in the NFL long and may not realize what he is saying, doesn't think the Patriots will pay any attention.

Smith, a third-round pick from Syracuse in 2006, became the starter at free safety only after Ryan Clark needed spleen surgery in late October.

"He better keep his mouth shut," Farrior said, though he was laughing and wasn't angry at his teammate. "Oh well, I guess we've got to go deal with that."

Defensive end Brett Keisel doubts Smith's words will have any impact, even if the Steelers might have been better off not giving an exceptional team like New England any bulletin-board material.

"I think a lot of us in here feel like this is one of those games where we really don't have that much to lose," Keisel said. "If we win the game, well, we weren't supposed to win, and if we lose the game, we were supposed to lose. They're this big, great team that no one can touch."

The Steelers stopped the Patriots' record 21-game winning streak in 2004, but they have dropped five of six to New England since 1997 -- with two losses in AFC championship games.

Still, Smith is convinced there are multiple reasons why the Steelers will be the team that makes certain New England doesn't become the first NFL team to sweep a 16-game schedule.

Pittsburgh's defense has allowed the fewest points and yards in the NFL and, Smith said, "We don't expect that to change."

Also, he said, the Steelers are more physical than any team New England has faced and are so balanced offensively, the Patriots can't stop both Willie Parker's running and Ben Roethlisberger's throwing.

If the Patriots thought the Ravens were physical Monday night when New England was forced to stage a desperation rally to win 27-24 in the final minute, Smith said, wait until they meet up with Pittsburgh.

"They say they played their toughest game last week against Baltimore, but I think we play harder than Baltimore," Smith said. "They're going to be in for it again this week. They're going to have a tough week in front of them."

Smith isn't worried his words might give the Patriots a motivational kick during a tough week in which the Patriots are playing two physical AFC North teams in a seven-day span. Or that his own teammates will dislike what he is saying.

"They will back me up," Smith said. "Everyone has the same attitude anyway, so it's not like it's a big thing."

If Smith didn't give the Patriots enough hey-look-at-this material, here's this nugget for the Patriots' receiving corps: Smith said they may have Randy Moss, but Cincinnati -- not New England -- has the league's best wide receivers.

"They've got Walker and Moss," Smith said, referring to Patriots receivers Wes Welker and Randy Moss. "But they're not like Cincinnati."

The Steelers shut down the Bengals' passing game during a 24-10 victory Sunday night, limiting star receiver Chad Johnson to six harmless catches. Carson Palmer completed only 38.6 percent of his passes (17-of-44) and was 11-of-37 (29.7 percent) after Cincinnati's opening drive.

Keisel could only laugh after hearing Smith's comments, saying, "Maybe I should start (guaranteeing games)."

Will he begin doing that next week, when the Steelers play the Jacksonville Jaguars (8-4)?

"Maybe the week after that," he said.

I have been rooting for the Patriots to lose for some time now, but this not going to be one of them. Here's to hoping the Pats put an asswhooping on the Steelers...

WHODEY !!!

I see the Steelers as the last team that has a real chance to hang a "L" on New England.

If the Giants come out and play a complete game, they could also beat them. You also have to figure that the last game of the season won't mean anything for the Patriots, where it still may for the Giants, and if they don't start their starters prepping for the playoffs, this isn't such a reach...

WHODEY !!!

i hope steelers will kill pats, i hate patriots just same as i hate steelers as my 2nd favorite team since i was kid is dolphins, so i dont want patriots get that 16-0, only dolphins can have that undefeated season ever, only team i will cheer for undefeated season in future is bengals

The only way I could ever pull for the Steelers is if it was needed for us to make the playoffs...

The only way I could ever pull for the Steelers is if it was needed for us to make the playoffs...

Yeah ... what he said. Just put all other thoughts aside and consider for a moment the fan base. I personally have spent numerous weeks in Boston on business, seminars, etc. I have run into dozens and dozens of Patriot fans. They love their team, but can be talked to. You'd be proud too if your team had 3 rings in 6 years, and is currently undefeated. But I can only imagine how completely arrogant and obnoxious the Steelers fans would be if you put them in the same boat. Oh ... my ... God. These people would think that God Himself had told them to take over the world and step on everyone else. Trust me ... it's always better for the Steelers to lose. Better for everyone. As my kids have been trained to say ... "It's always a good day when a Pittsburgh team loses".

If the Giants come out and play a complete game, they could also beat them. You also have to figure that the last game of the season won't mean anything for the Patriots, where it still may for the Giants, and if they don't start their starters prepping for the playoffs, this isn't such a reach...

WHODEY !!!

The Giants have done it before (14-0 Broncos in '98). And they did it with Kent Graham, no-name Tiki Barber and an (until then) underachieving Amani Toomer. I'll tell you though, I think the planets were in perfect alignment that day. I don't think the Giants are true contenders or capable of playing the perfect game necessary to beat the Pats. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm right.

BTW - I cheered for you guys to beat the Pats, and I cheered for the Rat Birds as well. I call it division pride....., That and I hate the Patriots. Hate their fans too.

Here's a new rule: if you have never been to the Pro Bowl, and you feel compelled to guarantee a win....

...shutup.

If you listen to the interwiew, it's a little different. He's obviously inexperienced with interviewing and they led him right into it. He did not want to guarantee anything, but he didn't want to back down either. It was obvious he was unsure how to answer.

Here's a new rule: if you have never been to the Pro Bowl, and you feel compelled to guarantee a win....

...shutup.

If you listen to the interwiew, it's a little different. He's obviously inexperienced with interviewing and they led him right into it. He did not want to guarantee anything, but he didn't want to back down either. It was obvious he was unsure how to answer.

Well Warden this Bengal fan will be pulling for Pittsburgh to beat New England. Trust me, it rarely happens, but I truly can't stand that pompus ass Bill Belichick! He thinks his s**t doesn't stink even when he's busted cheating. Had he come back with his hat in his hand and seemed sincere with an apology, it might have been different. Screw him and the Patriots! :angry:

...shutup.

Well Warden this Bengal fan will be pulling for Pittsburgh to beat New England. Trust me, it rarely happens, but I truly can't stand that pompus ass Bill Belichick! He thinks his s**t doesn't stink even when he's busted cheating. Had he come back with his hat in his hand and seemed sincere with an apology, it might have been different. Screw him and the Patriots! :angry:

Had you guys played them later in the year, you would have had a truck load of fans from other teams here pulling for the Bengals (as did the Ravens last week). I can't stand them either.

BTW - SEMPER FI!

Had you guys played them later in the year, you would have had a truck load of fans from other teams here pulling for the Bengals (as did the Ravens last week). I can't stand them either.

BTW - SEMPER FI!

Back at 'cha Devil Dog! devildogusmckx0.jpg

...shutup.

Uh, right. and that's why the local radio station has repeated the following statement all morning ... "Steelers Smith refuses to back down from his comments guaranteeing a victory on Sunday against the Patriots". And then they follow this by a brief audio clip of him saying that when someone asks him a question he answers it with how he feels. That sounds like someone unsure how to answer ... right. You may *wish* he didn't mean it, didn't say it, didn't know how to answer, etc ... but it is sounding more and more like you have another talker on your team. Is what it is ... but your desires don't seem to match up with reality.

...shutup.

Uh, right. and that's why the local radio station has repeated the following statement all morning ... "Steelers Smith refuses to back down from his comments guaranteeing a victory on Sunday against the Patriots". And then they follow this by a brief audio clip of him saying that when someone asks him a question he answers it with how he feels. That sounds like someone unsure how to answer ... right. You may *wish* he didn't mean it, didn't say it, didn't know how to answer, etc ... but it is sounding more and more like you have another talker on your team. Is what it is ... but your desires don't seem to match up with reality.

What player would back down???? He WAS led right into a media trap as young players often are. He didn't handle it well, but what's he going to do? Change his mind and say, "I take it back, we may not win?"

To be honest I could care less. It doesn't matter what anyone says does it? I wish for nothing but a "W." I guess you buy right into everything the mdia wants you to. I guess you're completely naive to it. Well, not me pal. Even if it was a player from your team. I can think for myself. :rolleyes:

I'm going to have to agree that once the words come flying out of your mouth (Regardless of how stupid) the player and the team have to roll with it... It's not like the guy is going to back down and say her really didn't mean it, because then he and the team would take more sh*t about that than the original statement. In other words, I would rather be called for making an outlandish statement, that might end up firing up my team and come to fruition then to back down and look like a p*ssy !!! If the statement would have come from a bigger player on the team, it might have been different, but it didn't and what's the dumbass going to do ??

WHODEY !!!

...shutup.

OMG!!! Could you guys see what DUUS life would be like if PISSBURG won!!!!!! :o

Can you believe the moron is still running his mouth!?! :o

Smith says Patriots will see Steelers again in playoffs

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

December 10, 2007

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The New England Patriots didn't totally silence Anthony Smith.

Despite a 34-13 loss Sunday to New England that revealed significant flaws in the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense and their game plan, Smith says he is certain they will see the Patriots again in the playoffs.

That raises this question: If that happens, will the Patriots hear the Steelers again?

Smith, the Steelers' free-talking free safety, guaranteed a win over New England but couldn't deliver on it. By doing so, Smith helped re-ignite a Patriots team that, after barely winning at Baltimore the week before, was starting to look weary and worn down by its pursuit of a perfect season.

With Smith's words clearly on their mind, quarterback Tom Brady and some other Patriots yelled at Smith throughout the game, and coach Bill Belichick tossed in some well-chosen words afterward.

Asked about how Smith was tricked into allowing a long touchdown catch by Jabar Gaffney on a gadget play, Belichick said, "The safety play at that position was pretty inviting."

Give Belichick 5 yards for piling on.

Even worse for the Steelers: The trick play, which began with Brady flipping the ball to Randy Moss behind the line of scrimmage before getting it back to throw downfield, was a mirror image of one Pittsburgh ran while beating the Cincinnati Bengals 31-17 in a playoff game two years ago.

Losing to the Patriots was bad enough for the Steelers. Losing on their own play made it even worse.

Still, Smith wasn't reluctant afterward to discuss his much-publicized remarks, which led some of the remaining fans in Gillette Stadium to chant "guar-an-tee, guar-an-tee" as the game wound down.

Smith's take: the Steelers didn't play well, but there's always next month.

"We will see them again," Smith said.

However, the Patriots' second-half domination during their sixth victory in seven games against Pittsburgh exposed the size of the gap between the teams. After leading only 14-13 late in the second quarter, the Patriots outscored the Steelers 20-0 the rest of the way.

"If that (game) is the measuring stick, we're not close," coach Mike Tomlin said.

Then again, it also didn't look close when the Steelers lost to the then-unbeaten Indianapolis Colts on the road 26-7 in a Monday night game two years ago.

But when the teams met again in the AFC divisional playoffs less than two months later, the Steelers won 21-18 in Indianapolis and went on to win the Super Bowl.

"If we come back (to New England), we are going to be ready, I know that for sure," Steelers right tackle Willie Colon said.

Before they concern themselves with that, the Steelers (9-4) probably should be worrying about coming back strong Sunday against Jacksonville (9-4) in the first of two games in five days. They play again at St. Louis (3-10) in a Thursday night game on Dec. 20.

The Steelers can clinch a playoff spot by winning Sunday and they would secure the AFC North title if they win and the Browns (8-5) lose at home to Buffalo.

"We'll be ready for next week," center Sean Mahan said.

What happened last week could prove to be a valuable learning experience for Tomlin, the rookie head coach. If Bill Cowher were still in charge and Smith talked so loosely, Smith might have to seek out a comedy club to find an open microphone the rest of the season.

Smith may have become emboldened after bragging recently that Cincinnati's receivers were intimidated by Pittsburgh's secondary. At the time, Smith's words didn't cause much of a stir because they concerned a team that was out of the division race.

When Smith made similar comments about the Patriots, and tacked on his guaranteed win, it seemed as if everyone in the NFL noticed.

Now, Tomlin's challenge is to keep his players motivated and confident without them carelessly tossing out words their opponents can use against them. He also must make sure his players don't start doubting themselves after Brady threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns against a defense that had been allowing the fewest yards in the league.

"We're not guaranteed into the playoffs right now, so we need to take care of business this week," linebacker Larry Foote said.

There the Steelers go, talking about guarantees again.

Notes

The Steelers are 7-0 at home and 2-4 on the road. They have won in only two states: Pennsylvania and Ohio. ... Jacksonville is 10-8 against Pittsburgh, winning the past two. ... If the Steelers are the No. 3 seed in the AFC playoffs, as they would be today, and the Patriots are the top seed, the teams could meet again only in the AFC championship game.

... and additional reports suggest he was at the 50 yard line provoking Brady prior to the game ... and he yelled something at Brady after the TD throw, which was followed by Brady approaching him. Oh, but I forgot. His words and actions are being 'taken out of context'. Let's face it, you have a punk on your team, and worse, one that is NOT helping ... only creating problems. Heck, even Savran locally spent a few minutes detailing how he was upset before, during, and after the game on Sunday to see so many Steeler players being 'chirpy' (sp?) as he put it. I think what you have is a team without a true identity, but jealous as heck that other teams in the league are getting more attention than them. Anyway, I still can't get over the fact that this guy is allowed to continue to run his mouth. I mean, is there a leader on this team that is willing to step up and shut this guy up? Honestly, I hope not. I hope it continues. I hope the "we've got his back" crap keeps coming because that will say volumes about where this team and where it is going (or not going). Hey, Anthony! ... tell the Jags how bad they are! Remind that first playoff team in January how you are so confident that you will be seeing the Patriots again ... how they are just a meaningless stepping stone to the revenge your ego needs! Anthony who?

... and additional reports suggest he was at the 50 yard line provoking Brady prior to the game ... and he yelled something at Brady after the TD throw, which was followed by Brady approaching him. Oh, but I forgot. His words and actions are being 'taken out of context'. Let's face it, you have a punk on your team, and worse, one that is NOT helping ... only creating problems. Heck, even Savran locally spent a few minutes detailing how he was upset before, during, and after the game on Sunday to see so many Steeler players being 'chirpy' (sp?) as he put it. I think what you have is a team without a true identity, but jealous as heck that other teams in the league are getting more attention than them. Anyway, I still can't get over the fact that this guy is allowed to continue to run his mouth. I mean, is there a leader on this team that is willing to step up and shut this guy up? Honestly, I hope not. I hope it continues. I hope the "we've got his back" crap keeps coming because that will say volumes about where this team and where it is going (or not going). Hey, Anthony! ... tell the Jags how bad they are! Remind that first playoff team in January how you are so confident that you will be seeing the Patriots again ... how they are just a meaningless stepping stone to the revenge your ego needs! Anthony who?

I read articles on the Steelers everyday and the only place I've heard anything "suggesting" that he provoked T. Brady is from you and a couple (not all) Patriots fans. He may or may not have. I don't see why he would seek out Tom Brady just after he got burned for a TD. He did not intend to guarantee anything, but he stood by his words (as anyone would've). He's not a punk, he's just an immature kid who isn't an expert at talking to the media. Who is at that age?

I'll tell you what I DO know. I DO know that Deshea Townsend is about as mild mannered a FB player you will find in the NFL. I watched his face change to disgust listening to Tom Brady talk sh*t during that game. Brady claims that Joe Montana is his idol and he's supposed to be the poster child for class in sports. I can't recall a single instance where after scoring a TD Joe Montana did anything but go back to the bench. Tom Brady is a good QB but HE IS every bit the punk you're telling me A. Smith is. The Difference? Tom Brady is the veteran player.

Personally, I don't think Smith said a word to him after that TD. He was reprimanded for the guarantee and got burned by play-action, I just can't see him further burying himself.

... I just can't see him further burying himself.

... but yet it has been reported even in Pittsburgh that the very same guy DID toe the 50 yard line in warm-ups, provoking Brady while he stretched? That simply does not sound like a guy not 'further burying himself'. You can defend this trash all you want (and I expect you too), but even your local sports reporters are voicing displeasure with the overall display of your team's players before, during, and after that game. Is what it is. Take off the goggles.

... I just can't see him further burying himself.

... but yet it has been reported even in Pittsburgh that the very same guy DID toe the 50 yard line in warm-ups, provoking Brady while he stretched? That simply does not sound like a guy not 'further burying himself'. You can defend this trash all you want (and I expect you too), but even your local sports reporters are voicing displeasure with the overall display of your team's players before, during, and after that game. Is what it is. Take off the goggles.

If he did that prior to the game, Farrior or someone should have explained to him that IF he's going to do that, he needs to earn that right first.

However, he hadn't given up any points yet. Who can talk immediately following getting straight up owned? If that's what he did then he is a fool. I'm just not convinced that he initiated the post TD smack. I'll grant you, that Tom Brady had the right, but we're supposed to believe he's above it. BAH.

Like the girl said in the Terminator, "In 100 years, who's gonna care?"