Chad Johnson breaks Bengals reception record

BengalszoneBilly

From ESPN:

Chad Johnson scores three TDs, sets Bengals reception record in rout

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Chad Johnson commandeered a television camera behind the end zone, swung it around and aimed it at the field as part of a touchdown production that was two months in the making.

What he saw through the viewfinder: A Tennessee team playing itself out of the picture.

Johnson had a career-high 12 catches, set the Cincinnati record for career receptions, scored three touchdowns and steadied the Bengals to a 35-6 victory Sunday over the fading Titans.

"He deserves the credit," quarterback Carson Palmer said of the Pro Bowl receiver. "He's that good. We did a good job around him, too."

After emerging as one of the NFL's first-half surprises, Tennessee (6-5) has lost three in a row and its hold on a wild-card playoff berth. The offense has been sloppy and the defense has lost its ability to stop anybody, giving up 28, 34 and 35 points during the slide.

This one really got to them.

Forlorn quarterback Vince Young sat on the bench by himself for seven minutes after the game ended, all kinds of things running through his bowed head.

"Thoughts, man, just thoughts, trying to see what's going on, what's the problem, what we need to do to get back to where we need to be at," said Young, who was limited by a bruised thigh and a strained ankle. "Why is this all of a sudden happening to us, going back to that bad feeling that we had last year with getting our butt whooped?"

One week after Palmer threw a career-high four interceptions, the Bengals (4-7) had a breakout game behind Johnson, who had gone into a shell and a funk.

Stewing over suggestions that his look-at-me antics were hurting the team, the chatty receiver had stopped talking to the media for the past month. Finally, he had something to talk about.

Instead, he chose silence, shaking his head when approached for interviews. Johnson wouldn't even talk about his team record.

"He doesn't care about that," receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said, sounding like a spokesman for the receiver dressing silently right next to him. "He'll probably reflect on it later on."

Johnson had 103 yards and his first touchdowns since a 51-45 loss in Cleveland on Sept. 16. In that one, he dived into the Dawg Pound and a got a sticky, eye-stinging shower of beer.

Johnson eclipsed Carl Pickens' club mark with his 531st career reception in the second quarter. His next catch was a 10-yard touchdown that broke the drought and left 65,489 fans wondering how he would celebrate.

He commandeered the television camera, drawing a flag for the excessive celebration. The 15-yard penalty was assessed on the kickoff, helping the Titans drive to Rob Bironas' 23-yard field goal.

"He deserved it," defensive captain John Thornton said, approving of Johnson's celebration. "He's been working hard. I told him to keep it up. I told him if he needs a penalty to get himself going, go ahead."

Johnson also had a 2-yard touchdown catch in the third quarter and a 3-yard score in the fourth, confining his celebrations to old-fashioned hugs and high-fives.

Palmer made up for one of the worst games of his career with one of his best, going 32-of-38 for 283 yards. The Bengals converted 14 of their 18 third-down chances, a rate that Titans cornerback Nick Harper called "ridiculous."

"You saw it," Harper said. "They had an answer for everything. It was almost like they were in our huddle."

For the Titans' offense, it was another all-Bironas performance. Tennessee had to settle for a pair of field goals in the first half, when it reached the 10-yard line three times. Young lost a fumble on a blind-side hit, scuttling one drive.

The dual-threat quarterback wasn't much of a threat when the Titans got close to the goal line. Twice, he failed to connect with open receivers in the end zone. A telltale moment came in the fourth quarter, when the Titans went for it on fourth-and-goal from the 1. Young slipped on a rollout, got up and lobbed an incompletion into the end zone.

Young finished 19-of-31 for 246 yards with an interception. His solitude on the bench after the game was interrupted only by brief visits from Palmer and Houshmandzadeh.

"I told him it could be worse, they could be 4-7 like us," Houshmandzadeh said.

Given how far the Titans have fallen, it wasn't very comforting.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the fact that Chad holds this record and think it's cool he gave the ball to the equipment manager !!!

Funny part is, today guys were talking s**t about how Chad took the camera and were giving him all kinds of grief. I told them they were a bunch of assh*les, reminded them that Chad hasn't said or done sh*t in regards to the media and when he does, they pound him even more. I swear, some people just aren't happy unless there is something to b*tch about and things don't go exactly how they think they should !!! It pisses them off when Chad talks (I wish he would just shut up) it pisses them off when he doesn't talk (Why isn't that assh*le saying anything) and then it pisses them off when he starts talking again (Oh here we go again)...

Personally, I would like to see them all shut the F*CK up !!! Congratulations Chad !!!

WHODEY !!!

I love the fact that Chad holds this record and think it's cool he gave the ball to the equipment manager !!!

Funny part is, today guys were talking s**t about how Chad took the camera and were giving him all kinds of grief. I told them they were a bunch of assh*les, reminded them that Chad hasn't said or done sh*t in regards to the media and when he does, they pound him even more. I swear, some people just aren't happy unless there is something to b*tch about and things don't go exactly how they think they should !!! It pisses them off when Chad talks (I wish he would just shut up) it pisses them off when he doesn't talk (Why isn't that assh*le saying anything) and then it pisses them off when he starts talking again (Oh here we go again)...

Personally, I would like to see them all shut the F*CK up !!! Congratulations Chad !!!

WHODEY !!!

ditto... The media and the net (message boards) are back on his jock once again. I swear it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen... Last week you got Lapham talking smack about Chad's character and people say that he's lazy and doesn't try anymore. This week Lapham was talking about how special Chad is and that his work ethic in practice is incredible.

I swear it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen... Last week you got Lapham talking smack about Chad's character and people say that he's lazy and doesn't try anymore. This week Lapham was talking about how special Chad is and that his work ethic in practice is incredible.

Just another example of one of the oldest rules in football:

"Win and it all goes away."

I swear it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen... Last week you got Lapham talking smack about Chad's character and people say that he's lazy and doesn't try anymore. This week Lapham was talking about how special Chad is and that his work ethic in practice is incredible.

Where is HOF anyway?? :beatdeadhorse:

:lol: I'm sure he'll be along one of these days. Life occasionally gets in the way of my ramblings around these parts, too.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about where I've been. If I were you I'd worry about where Chad has been, and why his defenders have been reduced to making empty excuses for his play for more than a month.

Nobody has ever doubted Chad's ability to play when properly motivated and medicated. The real question I have is how Chad continues to respond to the criticism that we both know isn't going to stop.

If I were you I wouldn't worry about where I've been. If I were you I'd worry about where Chad has been, and why his defenders have been reduced to making empty excuses for his play for more than a month.

Nobody has ever doubted Chad's ability to play when properly motivated and medicated. The real question I have is how Chad continues to respond to the criticism that we both know isn't going to stop.

The real question I have is "who cares"? As in, who cares if people are criticising Chad Johnson. The answer, of course, is you. As you know, I don't. I know that offends you because I should, apparently, be chastising Chad Johnson for his "antics". Try as you might, however, you just can't get me to care about that. Sorry. I know that these kids these days and their self-serving celebrations bother you. Truth be told, I can do without it too. But I just can't get beyond that to the heights of righteous indignation that require me to seriously discuss things like whether he should or will be traded. He won't and I'm cool with that. You have become so enamored with your rant that you can't admit that, when CJ plays well and the team wins, nobody but you cares about a meaningless 15 yard penalty on one of three TD's. You say "nobody has ever doubted Chad's ability to play..." while you, yourself, have very recently done exactly that. Either he's good enough or he's not. As we've previously well established, we disagree on this point. But, feel free to carry on.... :beatdeadhorse:

The real question I have is "who cares"? As in, who cares if people are criticising Chad Johnson. The answer, of course, is you.

Hardly. The real answer is...Chad cares. In fact, he cares so much he's only recently emerged from a choking and sulking fit that lasted for more than a month.

I know that these kids these days and their self-serving celebrations bother you. Truth be told, I can do without it too. But I just can't get beyond that to the heights of righteous indignation that require me to seriously discuss things like whether he should or will be traded. He won't and I'm cool with that.

I've grudgingly accepted the idea that he won't be traded and he won't change. Instead, he'll continue his circus act in Cincy, no doubt performing epic acts of brilliance coupled with the type of choking rarely seen in the NFL.

You have become so enamored with your rant that you can't admit that, when CJ plays well and the team wins, nobody but you cares about a meaningless 15 yard penalty on one of three TD's.

I dropped my rant the moment Mike Brown stated Chad won't be traded. Frankly, while I can easily support the idea of trading Chad I don't doubt Mike Browns sincerity or his unwillingness to absorb any salary cap hit that he doesn't have to....which is especially true when fans like you make excuses for Chad's lack of discipline, maturity, and mental toughness. In short, he chokes....and you don't care.

You say "nobody has ever doubted Chad's ability to play..." while you, yourself, have very recently done exactly that.

Oh he can play. That hasn't changed. But why should I forget that he's choked on his own bone for over a month?

As we've previously well established, we disagree on this point. But, feel free to carry on.... :beatdeadhorse:

Does this mean you're not going to spend a week making ridiculous claims that TJ has choked as badly as Chad has?

which is especially true when fans like you make excuses for Chad's lack of discipline, maturity, and mental toughness. In short, he chokes....and you don't care.

And we all know just how much Mike Brown cares what we think...but still, it's all our fault, eh? Okey-doke.

And we all know just how much Mike Brown cares what we think...but still, it's all our fault, eh? Okey-doke.

I'm sure he's noticed how often Bengal fans jump to Chad's defense. In fact, I'm sure he's no stranger to the claims of..."It was only a 15-yard penalty, he catches more than he drops, he only fumbled because he's sensitive, he's the only reason to watch the Bengals, he needed to draw a penalty in order to spark his tiny mind, he's brought the sexy back, and my personal favorite...he's not TO."

Frankly, if I were an evil overlord whose only interest was counting coin I wouldn't trade Chad either., mostly because it would anger those of you who give lip service to ideas like discipline, maturity, mental toughness, and unselfish play.

I'm sure he's noticed how often Bengal fans jump to Chad's defense.

And I'm sure he doesn't care. Mikey keeps his own counsel, come hell or high water. And unless Chad decides to pull a Pickens/Lee Johnson/Dillon act, he don't care. Ad even then its even odds whether he'd use the franchise tag if he had to. Mikey is Mikey...and such is the life of a Bengals fan.

And I'm sure he doesn't care. Mikey keeps his own counsel, come hell or high water. And unless Chad decides to pull a Pickens/Lee Johnson/Dillon act, he don't care.

Yeah, Mikey don't care, you don't care, and there's no way in hell BengalByTheBay cares. Hell, nobody cares about anything but losing enough games to get one of the draft picks that everyone has heard of.

Let's get back on thread. Chad didn't suck this week.

Discuss.

Chad didn't suck this week.

Discuss.

I think that's pretty much it. If he fades vs. Pitt next Sunday, you're back on track. Until then, not much to say, right?

You make it sound like I want him to choke. I don't.

I've just come to expect it in big games.

But I'm not sure the coming Steeler game still qualifies as a big game though.

Not since Chad dropped those passes in the first must win game against the Steelers.

And not since Chad dropped the potential game winner against the Bills in the must-win game that followed the loss in the previous must-win game.

And finally, not since Chad just dropped the ball as he was about to score against the Cardinals in the..."We're not mathmatically eliminated yet Bowl"

But yeah, he ripped it up last week.

<_<

Chad didn't suck this week.

Discuss.

I think that's pretty much it. If he fades vs. Pitt next Sunday, you're back on track. Until then, not much to say, right?

You make it sound like I want him to choke. I don't.

I've just come to expect it in big games.

Well, such is the life of a hater...sometimes they're going to shut you up. I've been hating on Rudi all year long, but you won't hear me complaining about him this week. His play was a big STFU in my face, same way Chad's was in yours. If Rudi keeps rockin' and rollin', well, shame on me...and if Chad keeps piling up the points, you got nothin'. That's why they call it the Not For Long league. Once the Bengals manage to break out of that cycle -- become more of the Colts or Pats or even Steelers -- then this all goes away. Until then...well, such is life as a Bengals fan.

At least until they ban hip-hop and get a bubble. Then all our problems are solved. :cheers: