Bengals drove, fans took off

Ox

Bengals drove, fans took off

Late exodus by beaten crowd speaks volumes

With 1:56 to play and their team holding the ball with a chance to tie the game, Bengals fans, worn down and beaten up by a lifetime of games like this, crammed onto the down escalator in the south end zone. As their once-vibrant offense took the field 68 yards from paydirt, the fans couldn't leave fast enough. They jammed the escalator, heading down and out. They'd seen enough.

"We noticed," defensive tackle John Thornton remarked afterward. "I can't blame them. These fans have seen a lot of bad football. We were grateful for the fans that stayed."

Maybe 5,000 folks remained to witness Carson Palmer's fourth interception, with 49 seconds to play. They expressed their disapproval. The boos bounced around a stadium emptied of everything but futility. Bengalization has settled in for a long winter's nap.

Two mediocre teams played mediocre football. The less mediocre team won. It was fitting that the two worst franchises in the NFL in the last 17 seasons conspired to produce a dog like this. Arizona 35, Bengals 27. Refunds are not forthcoming.

Was that a bad football game, or what?

Drops, tips, penalties, fumbles, interceptions. The whole screw-up catalog.

Once, the Cardinals were penalized for a block in the back ... when they were the kicking team.

What?

The mind dulls.

Kurt Warner was 1-for-1 left-handed, for 22 yards.

Chad Johnson - zero TDs since Game 2 - fumbled at the Arizona 10 without being hit, mainly because he was carrying the ball like the Olympic torch. Chris Henry had two drops.

Palmer had the first four-pick game of his career, against a wounded secondary that isn't great when healthy. Palmer also stumbled and fell backward once, while dropping to pass. There's a metaphor there somewhere, if you're looking.

The teams had 11 penalties each. The Cardinals had a punt blocked. The Bengals allowed two interceptions to be returned for touchdowns. The Cardinals elected to stop playing offense in the fourth quarter. They begged to be beaten. The Bengals had four possessions in the fourth quarter and didn't score.

The closest either team came to execution was the round-off, backflip combo performed by Cardinals cornerback Antrel Rolle in the end zone after his second interception return for a touchdown. The Russian judge gave him a 9 for missing the landing.

Whoop-whoop-whoop.

There ought be a statute of limitations on fan suffering. Marvin Lewis did give the bedraggled locals a four-year breather, but that era has expired, worn down by the weight of bad ownership and inexorable history. One team rose above the tonnage of its sad legacy Sunday. The other saw its fans bail out with the game on the line.

How can a team with so much young potential two years ago look so entirely lost now?

Remember when the pass-happy Bengals stretched the field from pillar to post? When the offense took what it wanted, not What The Defense Gave It? Chad! TJ! Slim!

Well, forget that.

In one second-quarter drive, Palmer threw 10 straight times, for all of 59 yards, leading to a 38-yard field goal. The running game is so invisible, the Cardinals dropped about 15 people into coverage on almost every play. Meanwhile, the defense played just well enough to lose. Kurt Warner knows what he's doing, but not enough to have a QB rating of 104.9. He's a backup, for goodness sake.

We keep hearing from the talent how talented this team is. We keep hearing about the need to be consistent. The NFL rides the Parity Train. Going into Sunday's games, 14 teams were either 5-4 or 4-5. The difference, we are told, is preparation, adjustments and, of course, "execution.''

When you are talented and are 3-7, you aren't preparing, you aren't adjusting and you aren't executing. In most organizations, that would signal a need for sweeping change. The Bengals organization doesn't see it that way.

Nearly 66,000 people filled Paul Brown Stadium at 1:05 Sunday. The fact that 60,000 of them didn't stick around to the end of a winnable game should speak volumes. Here, the ears will be deaf. Bet on that.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...COL03/711190349

The Cardinals had a punt blocked...The Cardinals elected to stop playing offense in the fourth quarter. They begged to be beaten. The Bengals had four possessions in the fourth quarter and didn't score.

That's it. Bitch about Daugherty all you want but he can't write things like this without the help of the team. He's absolutely right. Despite an afternoon of screwups the Bengals had every chance to pull it out...and couldn't.

Right now, the Bengals suck and they deserve to be called on it. Coddling them isn't going to do any good.

Look at how the Bengals were playing. We're down by 8 points, they didn't seem to be in a rush to get back to the line of scrimmage to run another play. I can't blame the fans either. Heck, I'm thinking about giving my tickets to the Rams game away.

I'll take them. How many you got. I'll get myself from south central PA to Cincinnati to see my beloved Bengals at home. Never had the opportunity. My son and I have only seen the Bengals at the Ravens, only an hour away. I'm speaking for myself , and hopefully some others, when I say, we don't need Paul printing crap like this. We know the pain. We don't need to be reminded. I will complain about the Bengals, 'cause I can, but only to other Bengal fans. This is were it belongs, among the fans, not for the world to judge us. If I want to leave early, or stay for the inevitable, thats my choice. Don't make a big deal about. But for the record, I have never turned the TV off or left the stadium, no matter how bad it got.

Look at how the Bengals were playing. We're down by 8 points, they didn't seem to be in a rush to get back to the line of scrimmage to run another play. I can't blame the fans either. Heck, I'm thinking about giving my tickets to the Rams game away.

I'll take them. How many you got. I'll get myself from south central PA to Cincinnati to see my beloved Bengals at home. Never had the opportunity. My son and I have only seen the Bengals at the Ravens, only an hour away. I'm speaking for myself , and hopefully some others, when I say, we don't need Paul printing crap like this. We know the pain. We don't need to be reminded. I will complain about the Bengals, 'cause I can, but only to other Bengal fans. This is were it belongs, among the fans, not for the world to judge us. If I want to leave early, or stay for the inevitable, thats my choice. Don't make a big deal about. But for the record, I have never turned the TV off or left the stadium, no matter how bad it got.

I agree that we do not be reminded, but Mike Brown sure does. Color me all for anything that embarrasses that man.

It's about time that everyone comes to the realization that the Bengals offense has been a big letdown all season.

How many games have the Bengals had a chance to win or tie in the final minutes only to blow it? I remember quite a few.

The defense is not good, but it has given the offense chances to win the game late and it never happens.

What responsibility do fans have to stick around for the last minute? If the orange and black are stinking it up for the whole game - particularly if they's been stinking it up for the whole season - why should anyone not leave a few minutes early?

As a player, is it reasonable to be upset with a fan that has driven in traffic all the way to the stadium, paid for parking, paid for a ticket, paid for a couple of $7 beers, watched poor football for a couple of hours then wants to leave a few minutes early?

But for the record, I have never turned the TV off or left the stadium, no matter how bad it got.

Wow. Just think how much of your life you wasted away. Theres a fine line between loyalty and stupidy.

Least impressive set of debut posts, raabeye, since Bax's. Congats on that.

Tell you what, while you are hurling insults aroound this board aplenty in your first eight posts, ask yourself, just where is the line between stupid and infantile?

I agree that we do not be reminded, but Mike Brown sure does. Color me all for anything that embarrasses that man.

It's more than just Brown though... I mean, the players need to show a little pride in what they're doing. Not sitting on the arse on the field pouting while everyone else behind you trying to pick up the live ball. Brown can't make that tackle. He can't prevent four picks, play like "hollywood" stars that won't get your hands dirty, etc...

I can't put this one on Brown. The players doing awful and the coaches decisions are routinely questioned.

bengals is not sucks like what it says, i will always watch whole game all time, bengals is good on both side, defense got screwed by injury, offense got screwed by depart of braham and steinbach and injury to anderson, do u think palmer have time to wait for wr to get open like brady do now or like bengals do last year?? if offense line got better next year and injury hit less players, they will be a play off team

my brother is fan of dolphins, and all fans of dolphins is postive not so negative like bengals fans and they are 0-10 we are 3-7, please grow up and think postitve, being negative wont do u any good ever

Right now, the Bengals suck and they deserve to be called on it. Coddling them isn't going to do any good.

Coddling is something Cincinnati fans hardly practice. :D

It's more than just Brown though... I mean, the players need to show a little pride in what they're doing. Not sitting on the arse on the field pouting while everyone else behind you trying to pick up the live ball. Brown can't make that tackle. He can't prevent four picks, play like "hollywood" stars that won't get your hands dirty, etc...

I can't put this one on Brown. The players doing awful and the coaches decisions are routinely questioned.

It's about time that everyone comes to the realization that the Bengals offense has been a big letdown all season.

I'm with you on this one. We expected the defense to be bad -- no reason to believe otherwise. But, in terms of expectations, the offense hasn't fulfilled their end of the bargain.

I just like seeing you posting here again. You're working to hard at Cincy Jungle!

bengals is not sucks like what it says, i will always watch whole game all time, bengals is good on both side, defense got screwed by injury, offense got screwed by depart of braham and steinbach and injury to anderson, do u think palmer have time to wait for wr to get open like brady do now or like bengals do last year?? if offense line got better next year and injury hit less players, they will be a play off team

my brother is fan of dolphins, and all fans of dolphins is postive not so negative like bengals fans and they are 0-10 we are 3-7, please grow up and think postitve, being negative wont do u any good ever

I agree with Dimster.

I agree with Dimster.

YOUR BOTH LOSERS IN DENIAL.

I agree with Dimster.

YOUR BOTH LOSERS IN DENIAL.

Translation...your opinion may differ. Sheese! :rolleyes:

ok if i am in denial, what is the right way to go? whining and whining and whining??? how will it help u?

no thanks i rather to cheer for my favorite team that i love since 20 years, if they lost and failed enter play off, oh well they can try better next year, afc got 16 teams and only 6 team go to play off, do u hear other 10 teams fans pissed off and whining?? this is pro not college where u can expect a big college team to go play off every years

do u want chad to be a whining and quitter?? of course ur answer is no, so why cant player be a quitter but it is ok for fan to be a quitter?? can player walk out in 4th qtr like fans do?? nope