Buckeyes may be National Champs

kentjett

ok here's my take. i would rather play USC than either Mizzo or WV. OSU would gain a lot more respect from beating USC than it would from playing the other two, but to play for the national championship would be great also. to match up the 2 best teams in this decade OSU and USC would be bigger draw and probally the most watched bcs game this season. the interesting thing would be what if Mizzou and WV lose, USC beats UCLA, would the trojans jump everyone else and play OSU in the nation title game. I guess this is as closest to a playoff as we can get ethier way GO OSU and f**k the rest. lol O-H

Everybody here in this thread is gonna hate me, which ain't a first, but I'm pulling for Missouri to beat Oklahoma and play for the National Championship Title, because that would be a first! I love underdogs, and teams getting a crack at something they never had before. I understand you guys, and your love of all things Ohio State, but this Kentucky boy wants to see a new and 1st time champ sitting atop the world of NCAA Football.

No. 1 Mizzou set for biggest game ever

By JIM VERTUNO, AP Sports Writer

Sat Dec 1, 2:13 AM ET

SAN ANTONIO - What a wild and wonderful week for Missouri. The Big 12 North champions are ranked No. 1, their quarterback is getting serious talk about the Heisman Trophy and if the Tigers can beat No. 9 Oklahoma in the league title game Saturday night, they'll play for the national championship.

Good times for a team that hasn't won a conference football championship since 1969 and wasn't even ranked when the season started.

Now Tigers fans are streaming into the Alamo City to join the party, dancing to the mariachi music and slugging back margaritas on the Riverwalk as cool-headed and cleft-chinned quarterback Chase Daniel and teammates steady themselves for the biggest game in Missouri (11-1) history.

Last week's victory over bitter rival Kansas may have felt like the mountaintop, but the games, and the stakes, keep getting bigger.

Lose to OU — the team that has all but owned the Big 12 in recent years — and it all falls apart.

"We're excited about being here," Missouri coach Gary Pinkel said Friday. "We're putting everything we have in this championship game. All that stuff will sort itself out later on."

The Sooners (10-2) won the South Division. They've watched the hysteria bubbling up around the Tigers. And they walk into the Alamodome with the cool swagger that comes with having already beaten Missouri once this season behind a coach with a terrific record in Big 12 title games.

Since 2000, the Sooners are 4-1 in league championship games, including last year's win over Nebraska. Their only loss was in 2003 when they still went on to play for the Bowl Championship Series title.

It's earned coach Bob Stoops the nickname "Big Game Bob," and is part of the reason why the Sooners are slight favorites to beat the Tigers.

"It doesn't hurt," Stoops said of the Sooners' success. "It gives you a degree of advantage, but you win or lose on merit."

Oklahoma beat Missouri 41-31 on Oct. 13, a game the Tigers feel they should have or could have won if not for some late turnovers. Missouri led 24-23 going into the fourth quarter.

"We definitely shot ourselves in the foot and didn't give ourselves a chance to win the football game with those turnovers," Missouri tight end Martin Rucker said.

Daniel has been unflappable and unstoppable since then. He's thrown for 3,951 yards and 33 touchdowns this season to join Florida quarterback Tim Tebow and Arkansas running back Darren McFadden as favorites for the Heisman.

His 40-of-49 passing for 361 yards and three touchdowns against Kansas was a clinic in efficiency. Now he's back in his home state playing in a stadium where he won a high school state championship.

Pinkel said he expects his junior quarterback to shrug off the Heisman talk until after the game.

"This isn't about him winning an award, it's about us trying to win a championship," Pinkel said.

If the Sooners are vulnerable, it's in the secondary where Texas Tech ripped Oklahoma for 420 yards passing two weeks ago in an OU loss that ended its national title hopes.

For their part, Oklahoma players chafed this week at suggestions the Tigers lost the previous meeting rather than giving the Sooners credit for winning it.

"We won, so whatever they want to say, they can say that," receiver Juaquin Iglesias said. "But we won the game."

The Sooners note their defense had something to do with beating the Tigers with blitzes that caused two interceptions and a tipped pass leading to another.

They also got a tremendous season from their quarterback, Sam Bradford, who set an NCAA freshman record with 32 touchdown passes.

"Obviously we couldn't have asked for much more," Stoops said. "The guy is exceptional."

The game will draw plenty of interest more than 1,000 miles to the north in Columbus, Ohio.

If the Tigers win, they'll earn a trip to the Jan. 7 BCS championship game in New Orleans. If they lose, or if No. 2 West Virginia loses to rival Pittsburgh on Saturday, the Buckeyes will likely sneak into the title game.

For Ohio natives Pinkel (Akron) and Stoops (Youngstown), it means a lot of folks back home are watching what they're doing.

"I know everybody in the state of Ohio wants me to lose," Pinkel said.

I'm now awake at 5:30am and going to go watch the game. I get what you guys mean and I wouldn't mind playing USC or seeing someone else in the title game, but it's kind of hard to root for your team to lose so you can see a better game and be left out of the National Championship. I would compare that to not wanting to go to the Super Bowl so the Bengals can get a better draft pick. Wait a minute........

WHODEY !!!

Great win for Ohio State (So to speak) and I continued the #2 / BCS debate in the other thread. You can find my explanation there for why it should be Ohio State vs Virginia Tech for the National Championship...

WHODEY !!!

I'm not sure if you touched upon this or not in your other thread concerning the '#2 / BCS debate', but what about the fact that LSU completed killed VaTech 48-7? I'm coming from the perspective of a indifference, but to me that seems like a huge deal. You have LSU that won its conference championship and has 2 losses, both coming in triple overtime. You have VT that won its conference championship and has 2 losses, one of which came at the hands of LSU. To me, that makes it very hard to put VaTech ahead of LSU. Bringing USC into the discussion just further complicates things however.

It was a wild set of circumstances that's for sure!

It kills me that critics said for the past week that the Bucks would get killed by WV if they met in the Nat'l Championship game then Pitt goes out and with half the team Tressel has completely dominate the Mountaineers. If OSU had played WV last night the score would have been more like 40 - 9.

If they couldn't handle Pitt's running game what do the "experts" think Beany Wells would do to them?

And SC looked very mediocre in a lackluster win over a terrible UCLA team also. Yet everybody claimed we'd get hammered if we came out to Pasedena to play them also! Sheesh!

Now watch, if it's LSU we'll be told we're gonna' get creamed all over again too! <_<

Since this seems to be the thread to continue this conversation, I will go into it here...

How should VT get in over LSU ?? Easy (as I addressed in the other thread)...

VT ranked #6 BCS (.780%) and #6 AP beating BC ranked #11 BCS and #12 AP to win the ACC...

LSU ranked #7 BCS (.770%) and #5 AP beating Tenn ranked #14 BCS and #14 AP to win the SEC...

The thing to consider is that prior to the above ranking coming out, the VT loss to LSU was already taken into consideration. VT beat a higher ranked opponent and the fact they lost to LSU should not have been given anymore weight than already taken into consideration the week before. Don't get me wrong now, I would rather see Ohio State and LSU, but my point is, I think VT got f*cked over on this one.

Speaking of getting f*cked over, how did Kansas get a BCS game and Missouri get completely left out in the cold ??

I mentioned this inthe other thread as well, but will address it all in this one from now on but, does anyone else think it's a little odd that the BCS commissioner is a member of the SEC conference ?? I F*CKING HATE THE BCS !!!

WHODEY !!!

Since this seems to be the thread to continue this conversation, I will go into it here...

How should VT get in over LSU ?? Easy (as I addressed in the other thread)...

VT ranked #6 BCS (.780%) and #6 AP beating BC ranked #11 BCS and #12 AP to win the ACC...

LSU ranked #7 BCS (.770%) and #5 AP beating Tenn ranked #14 BCS and #14 AP to win the SEC...

The thing to consider is that prior to the above ranking coming out, the VT loss to LSU was already taken into consideration. VT beat a higher ranked opponent and the fact they lost to LSU should not have been given anymore weight than already taken into consideration the week before. Don't get me wrong now, I would rather see Ohio State and LSU, but my point is, I think VT got f*cked over on this one.

Speaking of getting f*cked over, how did Kansas get a BCS game and Missouri get completely left out in the cold ??

I mentioned this inthe other thread as well, but will address it all in this one from now on but, does anyone else think it's a little odd that the BCS commissioner is a member of the SEC conference ?? I F*CKING HATE THE BCS !!!

WHODEY !!!

A couple things here ...

First, I actually do pretty much agree with you and see what you are saying.

You always know there is a BUT ...

But, ... couldn't you make the argument that LSU was the one that was screwed in the recent polls to be placed behind the team that they beat up and both having the same number of losses? I feel they got it right in the end ... well, as 'right' as can be with this ridiculous system.

Oh, and the BCS Commissioner being a member of the SEC conference? Yeah, that smells pretty bad. Sort of like a certain NFL Commissioner being hand picked by the owner of the team that he spent a good deal of his life around. He did graduate from W&J College, afterall ... which is just down the road south of Pittsburgh. Yeah ... hmmmm.

Yeah, you could make that argument, but the other thing to take into further consideration in regards to Virginia Tech and further reason to believe the coaches had it right the week before is the actual computer rankings for the BCS. Those ranking went in this order....

#1. Viginia Tech

#2. LSU

#3. Ohio State

So by looking at the rankings the computers gave, it would appear the coaches had it correct the week before and actually blew it in the end. I think the coaches ranking VT at #5 was a mistake and in the end cost VT their chance to play in the NC... I just think it sucks for them.

WHODEY !!!