examining the hysteria

richmond_mat

I apologize if these points have already been made.

There is a serious over reaction going on about the team and all this fire Coach Lewis rhetoric. I've examined the performance of the previous Bengal coaches. This is what I found Lewis finished his first three years at 27-21, making his current record 29-26. Coincidently, after three years Wishy Wyche stood at 25-23 and earily in his fourth season the team stood at 2-5 through the first seven, leaving his record at 27-28 at that point. The team did finish 7-9.

Forrest Greg rocks his first three at 25-16, but one of those was a strike year. His best three were 32-25. The great Paul Brown went 15-26-1 in his first three with an expansion team making shewlala's 11-37 and costless's 14-34 first three years (yes there were more) look down right awful. P.B. did manage a three year run of 28-14.

So there is the coaching history (minus a couple of forgetable seasons) and Lewis looks pretty good to me at this point. He does need to establish an identity that is not thug related. I like what is going on with the defense. They have won the second half the last two times out. The offense has issues and I'll call for Bratkowski's head again as I have for YEARS.

The idea of trading Chad almost got me banned over two years ago from this site :D

reference

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cinindex.htm

I apologize if these points have already been made.

Not at all. But I'm not sure that a comparison to Gregg, Wyche, or even PB, is all the comforting. Yes, their records are comparable -- but that's the unsettling point. Like prior occupants of the HC chair in Cincy, Marvin Lewis has experienced only fleeting success here. Heck, even Bruce Coslet looked good for a while, going 7-2 as HC in 1996, 15-10 through 1997, and 17-13 through the first 6 weeks of 1998...then the wheels fell off.

I've made the point before, and will make it again: Marvin may very well eventually win a Super Bowl as a HC. But that victory may not come in Cincy. Belichick didn't win in Cleveland. Dungy didn't win in Tampa. Parcells didn't win in NY with the Jets, or in Dallas, or in NE. No one would say those guys aren't great coaches...but it just wasn't the right time, place and people.

Maybe Marvin, like Deep Thought, is only here to pave the way for the HC that will come after him... B)