Young Washed Up Dude Alert

HoosierCat

You guys act as if signing Mike Williams would be equivalent to entering into a marriage.

Sign the guy for dirt cheap, and if he doesn't work out cut him in a week. If he doesn't want to go anywhere for dirt cheap, then we take a pass. I can't imagine him demanding any kind of serious salary at this point, though.

I agree with that. The guy was an absolute beast in College. What harm could it do to give this guy a tryout? It's not like we don't need help in the red zone.

Alot of guys were "beast's" in college and aren't worth a damn in the pro's. The Raiders have junk at WR and if he is not good enough to hang on there for his former college coach he is done. Moss looked like trash with the Raiders but at least he started. This guy was buried way down on the depth chart, and I can only assume for a good reason.

As big and slow as he is, could he be the pass catching TE we're looking for?

Williams played high school ball in Tampa, and really wanted to be a Gator. But the coaches at Florida felt he was too slow to play receiver in the SEC. Here's the quote from Williams:

"The Florida schools just didn't think I could play wide receiver. They thought I was too big or not fast enough or whatever. At USC, they had a clear-cut picture of what I could do."

He was too slow to play receiver in the SEC, the NFC North and the AFC West. The Raiders listed him at 230. Can't really picture him blocking anybody. Pass.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we may see Mike Williams at PBS after all...gotta doubt he would play tho. PFT passes along the word:

POSTED 12:07 p.m. EST; UPDATED 12:23 p.m. EST, November 22, 2007

MIKE WILLIAMS IS BACK

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Tennessee Titans have signed receiver Mike Williams.

Williams, the No. 10 overall pick in the 2005 draft, was traded by the Lions to the Raiders earlier this year. The Raiders later cut him.

The move reunites Williams with USC offensive coordinator Norm Chow and running back LenDale White.

Williams is scheduled to practice on Thursday, and could make his debut on Sunday against the Bengals.