Falcon's release DT Grady Jackson

Bengals1

As for finding a spot, how about we dump one of our dozen DB's? David Jones? a rookie CB versus carrying a proven veteran at a deficient position...I choose the latter.

Don't forget, they're already looking at having to make definitely one, and possibly two, cuts over the next few weeks to fit Henry and possibly Perry back onto the roster.

Well, if Brooks and Jeanty get back, then Mays could go...?

If Henry gets back then Roby could go...?

or, they coud cut a safety like Busing or our third C, Santucci.

these make the most sense. Heck, Rowe is taking up space. coud he go PS?

As for finding a spot, how about we dump one of our dozen DB's? David Jones? a rookie CB versus carrying a proven veteran at a deficient position...I choose the latter.

Don't forget, they're already looking at having to make definitely one, and possibly two, cuts over the next few weeks to fit Henry and possibly Perry back onto the roster.

What about Fanene?

See ya.

What about Fanene?

See ya.

I'd cut Frostee before Fanene.

I'd cut Frostee before Fanene.

Fair enough, but I can't forget how you wanted to cut Frostee before you ever watched him play a down.

I watched him for the better part of two years at USC as I live in SoCal. He was a barely average college end who was a massive reach in r3, with off-field baggage, who cannot find his way into live action due to a never-ending string of injuries.

what would you rather have, a guy like that or a veteran who can start and produce in the NFL?

what would you rather have, a guy like that or a veteran who can start and produce in the NFL?

Stop moving the goalposts. I quoted your remark about keeping Fanene over Rucker. Anyone who would call Frostee Rucker a barely average college DE is in no position to say that he'd rather have the less productive, less highly regarded, lower drafted, and still injured Jonathan Fanene.

Stop moving the goalposts. I quoted your remark about keeping Fanene over Rucker. Anyone who would call Frostee Rucker a barely average college DE is in no position to say that he'd rather have the less productive, less highly regarded, lower drafted, and still injured Jonathan Fanene.

I am speaking about the issue of a roster spot relative to how Mr. Grady would fit in...hence the Fanene over Frostee spot. Fanene is secure, as he has produced when called upon.

What is your reference point about Fanene? Less productive than who? Less highly regarded than who? In what context, coming out of college? if so, then at this point as a professional, it really should not matter. Fact is Fanene has done well when he has played and Frostee has spent more time with the Bengals celebrated medical staff and trainers than on the field.

The issue at hand is whether Grady is a viable DT to help improve the Defense, and if so, then who goes? To me, it is Frostee Rucker.

Are you suggesting in that scenario they should opt to cut Fanene and keep Rucker?

What is your reference point about Fanene? Less productive than who? Less highly regarded than who? In what context, coming out of college? if so, then at this point as a professional, it really should not matter. Fact is Fanene has done well when he has played and Frostee has spent more time with the Bengals celebrated medical staff and trainers than on the field.

I'm starting to think you don't read your own posts. You slammed Rucker's college career pretty good but conveniently ignored the fact that he had a more accomplished college career and was considered a better pro prospect than Fanene. Fanene has also been around longer but available just as infrequently as Rucker, and in Fanene's case it's been a series of endless minor injuries that have kept him out of games. In fact, he rarely practices. On the other hand, the injury that shelved Rucker during his rookie season was as bad as it gets...with muscle needing to be reattached to bone. And he's playing now with a broken hand. Why you think those types of injuries are fodder for jokes I couldn't say, but if they are...then it should be noted that Fanene's hamstring injury lingered so long that it became fatal. (The Bengals are withholding the tragic news until the slow moving mail barge docks in Samoa.)

As for the positions they play, Rucker has always played the traditional elephant DE role, and should get a huge boost in playing time next season if Justin Smith and Byron Robinson are let go, as expected. Regardless, dumping him three weeks after he's finally started filling a backup role doesn't make alot of sense to me....and even less so when you suggest keeping the likes of Fanene over Rucker.

Fanene has also been around longer but available just as infrequently as Rucker, and in Fanene's case it's been a series of endless minor injuries that have kept him out of games.

uh, wrong....Frostee went to IR for his whole rookie year..he has 1 tackle this year. It is really not a comparison when a guy is basically a red-shirt rookie due to being on IR.

In fact, he rarely practices. On the other hand, the injury that shelved Rucker during his rookie season was as bad as it gets...with muscle needing to be reattached to bone. And he's playing now with a broken hand. Why you think those types of injuries are fodder for jokes I couldn't say, but if they are...then it should be noted that Fanene's hamstring injury lingered so long that it became fatal. (The Bengals are withholding the tragic news until the slow moving mail barge docks in Samoa.)

Who said I think those are fodder for jokes? Try as you might to put words in my mouth you really reach on this one. I did not say Frostee wasn't a tough guy. I said I thought he was not worth the r3 they spent on him and he should be the one to go if they need a spot if one is needed to bring in Grady.

As for the positions they play, Rucker has always played the traditional elephant DE role, and should get a huge boost in playing time next season if Justin Smith and Byron Robinson are let go, as expected. Regardless, dumping him three weeks after he's finally started filling a backup role doesn't make alot of sense to me....and even less so when you suggest keeping the likes of Fanene over Rucker.

Look, you even support my position here...see, if Rucker cannot beat out Robinson for playing time then what do we really have...I do not want a starting DE by default when Robinson or Justin are gone...maybe that is fine with you. The only reason Frostee has been on the field is because LB's are all hurt and Geathers has been moved.

Fanene has size to step in at DT if needed. Versatility should be at least acknowledged.

If the past is an indicator, they will not make a move for Grady, so the point is all but moot.

Pro Bowl cornerback blasts Falcons over release of Grady Jackson

By PAUL NEWBERRY, AP Sports Writer

October 24, 2007

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- DeAngelo Hall plans to give it his all the rest of the season. He wonders if the Atlanta Falcons are making the same commitment.

The Pro Bowl cornerback went off on his team Wednesday -- specifically coach Bobby Petrino and the front office -- after the Falcons (1-6) released defensive tackle Grady Jackson during the bye week.

"I don't know what kind of message is being sent to let Grady go," Hall said. "I'm trying to go (all) out on every single snap. But a lot of guys feel like everyone from the top down is kind of turning it in."

Hall already was fined $100,000 and had to sit out the first half of a game for getting into a sideline confrontation with the rookie coach during Week 3. Even so, the cornerback didn't mince words when asked for his reaction to Jackson being cut on Tuesday.

Jackson, a 6-foot-2, 350-pound run-stopper, topped the league with 13 tackles for losses last season. This year, the 11-year veteran was the leader among Falcons defensive linemen with 21 tackles, including 5 1/2 for losses and one sack.

Petrino brushed aside any speculation that the Falcons were going with youth and giving up on this season by releasing the 35-year-old Jackson. Rookie Trey Lewis, a sixth-round pick, takes over as the starter.

"It had nothing to do with anything but football," the coach said. "It was just the way we wanted to go. We felt like for our best opportunity to win games, the next nine games that we play, this was the right move to make, and that's really all there is to it."

Hall wasn't buying that logic.

"If that's the case ... they can probably cut me too," Hall said. "They need to cut all 53 of us. Nobody is playing the way they should be playing right now, obviously. I mean, we're 1-6. To sit there and single out Grady is just asinine. It's ridiculous."

Hall wasn't the only one caught off guard by the move. Running back Warrick Dunn was more diplomatic but just as stunned.

"It's a shock," Dunn said. "We're all asking the question 'Why?' Did he do something wrong? I don't know."

Petrino has come under increasing criticism in the locker room with each loss. A couple of weeks ago, Pro Bowl tight end Alge Crumpler, one of the team's most respected leaders, blasted the coach's play-calling and said it appeared the team was focusing on younger players at the expense of veterans.

On Wednesday, Hall said Crumpler was speaking on behalf of all veterans when he pointed out that Petrino kept plenty of untested rookies and younger players on the roster.

"We've got so many players that ain't made a play around here," Hall said. "It don't make no sense. We gave a lot of people jobs. Now, to sit around here and single Grady out and say he's the reason why (the team is losing) ... that's just ludicrous. If they've got something better and more concrete to go off of, I'd love to hear it. But I'm not buying that one."

Hall took a more subtle shot at Petrino, who left Louisville after last season for a five-year, $24 million contract with the Falcons. The cornerback has one more year left on his big-money deal.

"I didn't just sign a lucrative deal where I can sit around and watch this ship sink," Hall said. "I can't do that. I've got one more year on my deal. I feel as though I can go out and get a ton of money, whether it's here of somewhere else. I've got a lot of stuff to play for."

But he wondered how much effort some of his teammates would give if they felt the Falcons were looking ahead to next season.

"It's kind of hard for the other guys to play 100 percent ... knowing that everyone is not on board from the front office on down," Hall said.

According to Petrino, defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer talked with some of the veterans Tuesday night "to let them know the reasons why." Apparently, Hall wasn't on the phone list.

"Coach didn't address anything with us," Hall said. "We're going to have to wait and read what y'all (in the media) put out. We had a team meeting today. I kind of thought the meeting was to talk about that, but they didn't say one word about it. We had a defensive meeting, and they didn't say one word about it. We had a practice, broke down practice, and didn't speak one word about it."

Dunn said he didn't find out that Jackson had been cut until he showed up Wednesday for practice and meetings.

"Losing a guy who had that much experience, who made plays, to me that's the toughest part," the running back said.

Asked if he thought the Falcons were going with youth and giving up on this season, Dunn chose his words carefully.

"On the outside looking in, you would have to say 'Yes,"' he said. "You get rid of a guy who's played well for you, who's been here for a while, and now you're going with a rookie."

His voice trailed off.

"I just don't know," Dunn said.

I like how call his calling the FO out on their bs, they must think everyone besides them are too stupid to see what is going on. Cutting Jackson is a clear sign they are rebuilding, Rod Coleman has barely played so why cut your best DT half way into the season? Grady has never been a well conditioned guy, he's a huge man who stops the run and you can anchor your defense around him.

Hall is talking his way out of town and they way things are going I can't say I blame him...

With the first pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Atlanta Falcons select..Brian Brohm from the University of Louisville, Brohm will be re-united with college coach Bobby Petrino finally giving Falcon fans that pocket passing qb they have been wanting for all of these years.

I would like to see us make a run at Grady but I know that wouldn't happen as MB has already signed more guys than he wanted to due to injuries, oh well dare to dream!!

uh, wrong....Frostee went to IR for his whole rookie year..he has 1 tackle this year. It is really not a comparison when a guy is basically a red-shirt rookie due to being on IR.

No, not wrong. Rucker suffered an injury in preseason that was so severe he was placed on season ending IR. Fanene has suffered a whole host of minor dings and hurts that have resulted in him being unavailable almost as often as Rucker. And he's still dinged while Rucker is actively working his way into the rotation.

Who said I think those are fodder for jokes? Try as you might to put words in my mouth you really reach on this one. I did not say Frostee wasn't a tough guy.

So that wasn't you who mocking wrote..."Frostee has spent more time with the Bengals celebrated medical staff and trainers than on the field."

Nope, I checked. It was you. So obviously there was no need for me to reach or put words in your mouth.

We're all frustrated by injuries but it hardly seems fair to question Ruckers desire to play simply because he suffered an injury that would have resulted in any player going on injured reserve. Never mind the way he's currently playing with a broken hand.

As for Fanene, you're not the first Bengal fan to show a ridiculous level of devotion to a guy whose entire career can be summed up by one minute of play. The guys practically a folk hero, right?

<_<

Grady has never been a well conditioned guy, he's a huge man who stops the run and you can anchor your defense around him.

A familiar refrain once uttered by devoted fans of Fat Sam Adams, currently anchoring the Denver Bronco's lowest rated run defense.

Sam had a bum knee, that's why he didn't play for us. Jackson led the Falcons in tackles for a loss last year with 13.5 and he has 5.5 this year to go along with a sack.