Pittsburgh - the inside scoop - 2007 Game 1

duus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple Mark Madden comments:

"Is Carson Palmer overrated? I mean, who did he ever beat?"

"What Cincinnati lacks in heart, they don't make up for in talent. Especially on defense."

"Carson Palmer completes every pass but the one he has to."

"And don't forget that I have a bounty on his knee. $100 to the first who nails that creep."

"And don't forget that I have a bounty on his knee. $100 to the first who nails that creep."

What a d!ck. The sad thing is, that is how most Squeeler fans think.

... and some folks question how bad it can be around here. I have told the story about the fact that I was receiving therapy on my knee during the playoff loss to the Steelers. As I sat in my room getting treatment, I could hear people outside laughing about how the injury to Palmer was a good thing. They clearly were joking about "if the first hit had not done it, hopefully a second hit would have come soon after." This is the thought process that lies between the ears of the typical Steeler fan. No kidding.

Anyway ... Madden is about to interview Brad Johansen ... more to come.

Mark Madden interview with Brad Johansen:

"Did the Jets game bring life back into the Bengals?" ... "Yeah, I think the second half breathed a little bit of life. If the defense can come up with some turnovers, then they suddenly show up like a decent team. It was nice and timely for them to get well before playing the Steelers."

(concerning whether or not the Steelers winning in Cincinnati is a trend or a coincidence) ... "If you go 6 straight at your place and don't beat a team, it starts to get into your head. I think Cincinnati is desperate to change that trend right now."

(concerning Chad and Carson getting along) ... "They get along very well. They like the fact that both of them work. Chad is one of the hardest workers day in and day out."

"Is Carson Palmer frustrated at this point?" ... "Carson will take almost everything that the team doesn't do well on his shoulders. This has not been a divisive offense against defense lockerroom. I think the frustration is that they feel they are a lot better than they have shown."

"Should the Bengals maybe run more?" ... "It would be nice to own time of possession because they had not done it until last week."

"The Bengals need to win this Sunday, so I expect a dog-fight." ... "The Bengals have a tendancy to beat themselves. This is a very big week for them. They have a chance to get right back in it."

"I expect big things from TJ this Sunday." ... "TJ is a third down and touchdown guy. Steelers defense has always been difficult for Cincinnati. If they can get these guys rolling, it should be a dog fight."

... and some folks question how bad it can be around here. I have told the story about the fact that I was receiving therapy on my knee during the playoff loss to the Steelers. As I sat in my room getting treatment, I could hear people outside laughing about how the injury to Palmer was a good thing. They clearly were joking about "if the first hit had not done it, hopefully a second hit would have come soon after." This is the thought process that lies between the ears of the typical Steeler fan. No kidding.

I'm surprised BJ would let himself be interviewed by that hack!

I'm surprised BJ would let himself be interviewed by that hack!

I have heard a frequently used "drop" on sports radio that sounds almost exactly like that quote -- don't know what movie it is from. Of course, I didn't hear what you heard, but that doesn't sound like something a radio head who wants to keep his job would say, so maybe it was the same drop. Then again, I don't live in Pittsburgh, so anything's possible.

I have heard a frequently used "drop" on sports radio that sounds almost exactly like that quote -- don't know what movie it is from. Of course, I didn't hear what you heard, but that doesn't sound like something a radio head who wants to keep his job would say, so maybe it was the same drop. Then again, I don't live in Pittsburgh, so anything's possible.

Nah, that's Madden being Madden. He has been using that phrase for a couple years. He keeps saying it every time they play ... just trying to get attention as usual. I honestly wish someone like Johansen would ask him about it one of these times. Oh well.

Nah, that's Madden being Madden. He has been using that phrase for a couple years. He keeps saying it every time they play ... just trying to get attention as usual. I honestly wish someone like Johansen would ask him about it one of these times. Oh well.

Hard to believe anything like that is accepted. I suppose he needs to call somebody a nappy head ho first. I'm on the liberal-weenie West coast, so I suppose I have no appreciation for what plays elsewhere, but it's a little shocking to me that nobody objects to such blatant poor sportsmanship.

"What Cincinnati lacks in heart, they don't make up for in talent. Especially on defense."

Uhhhh, how about the Steelers a few times you pompous ass.

I do think that Palmer has a tendency to force plays and make mistakes but he is far from overrated. That big-fat-choke-on-my-own-spit-fatass of a talk show host helps give Pittsburgh a bad name.

I love the fact that all these quotes come from a Steelers fan whose team last year was 2-6 to begin the season and is 2-2 the last 2 years against a team that is so inferior to his Steelers.

I'm making the trip home to sit in my seat in the North endzone....while I am excited to see the game and come home I am not looking forward to the obnoxious di*kfaces that are Steelers fans.

I just heard that Kenny Watson is going to call in to the Junker & Crow Show this morning. Nothing like our latest Fed-Ex Award winner not shying away from the enemy! I like it ... more to come ...

Did he go on yet? I just turned it on the website. Get the live feed.

I just heard that Kenny Watson is going to call in to the Junker & Crow Show this morning. Nothing like our latest Fed-Ex Award winner not shying away from the enemy! I like it ... more to come ...

Did he go on yet? I just turned it on the website. Get the live feed.

I don't think he has been on yet, although I did have to step away for a few minutes.

Ben Roethlisberger, responding to questions about Carson Palmer and the Steelers: "He just doesn't like us."

I heard that, they make it sounds like Palmer hates them for no reason. You forgot the Part of the quote where Ben says, " we all know he doesnt like us because he got hurt against us in the playoffs, and I guess its a good reason." What a moron.

Ben and Steeler fans were crying like he got raped in the butthole when Jeff Hartings TRIPPED Odell and he fell into Roethlisbergers knee.

Ben Roethlisberger, responding to questions about Carson Palmer and the Steelers: "He just doesn't like us."

I heard that, they make it sounds like Palmer hates them for no reason. You forgot the Part of the quote where Ben says, " we all know he doesnt like us because he got hurt against us in the playoffs, and I guess its a good reason." What a moron.

I couldn't quite hear that first part and wondered exactly what he said. I'm glad you can get this audio ... at least there is some non-Urine fan out there that can get a sense for the ridiculousness that is Pittsburgh.

(I thought Watson comes across as very well-spoken, even-tempered, and focused ... I like it)

Interview with Kenny Watson on Junker and Crow Show on ESPN Radio 1250 AM on Friday early afternoon:

"The Bengals have had off-season problems and have been the butt of jokes. Has it been a distraction?" ... "We definitely can function. Our main focus around here is winning football. We just come to work and work hard."

"I know you're disappointed at the 2-4 start." ... "Every time we play the Steelers we know it's going to be a 60 minute fight. 43 is a guy you have to account for because he can disrupt things by himself."

"Describe the rivalry from a Bengal's point of view." ... "It's special because it's a divisional game. Ever since I've been here it's always been a tough game."

"Is he (Carson Palmer) the same quarterback as before that injury?" ... "I think he's better now. He had a great year last year. Now I think he's all the way back."

"How has Marvin Lewis handled the off the field stuff and the start?" ... "I think he's handled it well. As players we have to take it upon ourselves to look after each other. We expect to win now and coach expects a lot out of us."

(about choosing to stay in Cincinniti) ... "I like the coaching staff, the fans, and the city."

"Did it bother you when Cowher did the 'Who-Dey' chant after the playoff game?" ... "Nah. They were the champs. It didn't bother us."

Mark Madden

(speaking about the Steelers) ... "They should be better than 4-2. They have not yet played a team that is better than them. They are a better team than Cincinnati."

Ed Bouchette

(concerning whether the Steelers can outscore the Bengals) ... "Cincinnati's defense is so bad ... yeah. They could well score 56, and it may come down to that."

(concerning how close this game might become) ... "This is a real mismatch as far as Bengals offense and Steelers defense."

(concerning why the Bengals are so bad) ... "They have fallen way behind the times. They don't want to spend the money, and they don't want to scout."

"I think Cincinnati is going to be tougher than people think. Carson Palmer and those two receivers are going to test this secondary."

Man, do I wish I had the audio file of Madden's interview with former Steeler Mike Logan.

Let me give you some of what has been said by Logan:

"Carson Palmer is over-rated."

"TJ is a better receiver than Chad." (but he went on to say how much he hated TJ because of his 'attitude' and 'arrogance' on the field)

He talked about how the team was actually "happy" when Palmer went down with the knee injury. He talked about how great Palmer was back then and when he went down they were "happy" (his word, not mine) because you could see them lose confidence.

He went on to also talk about how it is important to "punch them in the mouth" because they (especially Chad) get frustrated and start arguing amongst themselves.

He also seemed to be concerned that Tomlin is showing signs of trying to move the defense to the Tampa Two. He was outspoken that that is not Polomalu's game. That he likes to get up on the line, but the Tampa Two forces him back into the field.

Also, he claimed that Palmer is no longer the player he once was (since the injury). He said that if you get just a little pressure on him, he "stiffens-up" (again, his words) and noticeably does not have the confidence. He claimed that Carson has lost a lot of confidence and is obviously still concerned about his knee.

This is why I need to stop listening to local media. They say all sorts of things that are just completely insulting to the Bengals. Heck, I remember in '05 that the media started calling the Steelers soft ... and they responded. We have all of these idiots saying things like 'over-rated' and 'happy' when a big-time injury happens, and our team seems to not care. Maybe I'm wrong ... and I hope I am. But it just never seems to rattle anyone and tick them off. Not with the Bengals anyway. How many insults can a team/player take? When might our team react like the Colts when the Steelers' media and fans call them 'soft' and talk about just 'punching them in the mouth'? When will it matter enough?

I ramble.