Early Injury/Personnel Report for Pitt

HoosierCat

If Perry were available what would he give the Bengals in return? Two or three carries and a catch or two? And what has he ever been able to offer the Bengals that Kenny Watson hasn't done as well or far better? So where's the push to tie up a roster spot with a fragile player unlikely to contribute more than a handful of plays?

If Perry were available what would he give the Bengals in return? Two or three carries and a catch or two? And what has he ever been able to offer the Bengals that Kenny Watson hasn't done as well or far better? So where's the push to tie up a roster spot with a fragile player unlikely to contribute more than a handful of plays?

I tend to agree with you position on Perry. I do not see him being a Bengal for the whole year. If Rudi can come back and Watson still perform well, then he really has no spot.

What is most frustrating about this is how this has played out. Draft Perry. Perry Injured. Draft Irons. Irons Injured. Rudi injured. Watson starting. DeDe backing up. go figure.

I tend to agree with you position on Perry. I do not see him being a Bengal for the whole year. If Rudi can come back and Watson still perform well, then he really has no spot.

What is most frustrating about this is how this has played out. Draft Perry. Perry Injured. Draft Irons. Irons Injured. Rudi injured. Watson starting. DeDe backing up. go figure.

I just hope that people aren't expecting Irons back for training camp. He'll be lucky to survive the ordeal!

Why don't they just keep 4 RBs and one FB for the rest of the season? It seems like Rb is a place that gets dinged up a lot so why not keep 4 Rbs instead of 3 with one being hurt right now? They have 6 safeties on the active roster time to get rid of one of them to make room for Perry. It would be dumb to just give away Perry if they do plan on releasing him and right now they need some depth at the Rb position. Last game the Bengals had two healthy rbs in the game against the Jets. Lets say one of the two gets injured. Now your down to one rb. Rudi's injury will linger the entire season you all watch.

Well that must be it, as it's painfully obvious Chris Perry wasn't drafted for his running or scoring ability.

What is obvious to me is that CP was drafted as a third down option to compliment Rudi, a role he was perfectly suited for before the tidal wave of injuries.

What is painful to me is that most of our fans can't figure that out, as easy as it is to discern.

Well that must be it, as it's painfully obvious Chris Perry wasn't drafted for his running or scoring ability.

What is obvious to me is that CP was drafted as a third down option to compliment Rudi, a role he was perfectly suited for before the tidal wave of injuries.

What is painful to me is that most of our fans can't figure that out, as easy as it is to discern.

I don't think that is difficult for anybody to see. What is difficult is that now the reality of his several injuries in a few years and nominal productivity puts the Bengals in a position of having to predict whether that will continue or it's behind him and whether the injuries have taken a toll on speed or ability. It is, in other words, far more than the simple issue of whether he was (3 years ago) suited to a role that he has simply not been able to fill for more than a few games at a time.

If it's possible to get him some playing time and up his trade value, that would interest me.

Why don't they just keep 4 RBs and one FB for the rest of the season? It seems like Rb is a place that gets dinged up a lot so why not keep 4 Rbs instead of 3 with one being hurt right now? They have 6 safeties on the active roster time to get rid of one of them to make room for Perry.

If they were going to go with 4 RBs I wouldn't cut a S to do it. Perry's more than half receiver anyhow, so my vote would be to flush Chatman. Not much to lose there, replacing an oft-injured wideout with an oft-injured RB/WR...if Perry craps out again it isn't as if we lost anything...

It is, in other words, far more than the simple issue of whether he was (3 years ago) suited to a role that he has simply not been able to fill for more than a few games at a time.

Certainly in the context that decisions have to be made concerning Perry, it is more complicated.

What causes me to respond is all of the hindsight bitching concerning this pick. There was a perfectly valid reason for making this pick, he is exactly what our offense needs and no one could have possibly predicted his injury laundry list.

I have heard a lot more of this than I ever wanted to so let's revisit all the KiJanna bitching.

Why don't they just keep 4 RBs and one FB for the rest of the season? It seems like Rb is a place that gets dinged up a lot so why not keep 4 Rbs instead of 3 with one being hurt right now? They have 6 safeties on the active roster time to get rid of one of them to make room for Perry.

If they were going to go with 4 RBs I wouldn't cut a S to do it. Perry's more than half receiver anyhow, so my vote would be to flush Chatman. Not much to lose there, replacing an oft-injured wideout with an oft-injured RB/WR...if Perry craps out again it isn't as if we lost anything...

I agree with that. At this point I'm happy with Holt and Green and would be pleased to take a Chatman dump. It's one thing to wait and hope that your freak-of-nature MLB (Brooks) gets healthy, but it's been a year and a half waiting around for a slot receiver -- time to end the cruise for Chatman.

Most fans realize that teams rarely burn 1st round picks on role players. And most fans realize that complimentary backs can be added much later in the draft or cheaply on free agency, as Kenny Watson was.

It is, in other words, far more than the simple issue of whether he was (3 years ago) suited to a role that he has simply not been able to fill for more than a few games at a time.

Certainly in the context that decisions have to be made concerning Perry, it is more complicated.

What causes me to respond is all of the hindsight bitching concerning this pick. There was a perfectly valid reason for making this pick, he is exactly what our offense needs and no one could have possibly predicted his injury laundry list.

I have heard a lot more of this than I ever wanted to so let's revisit all the KiJanna bitching.

I have a distinct recollection of that draft and (as I recall Steven Jackson was still available) quite a few fans were unhappy about the pick at the time. To me, it seemed somewhat of a luxury pick in the sense that our defense was pretty much then what it is now and I wanted to go on that side of the ball. That said, I have always been intrigued about the potential for Perry to produce in a "Westbrook" kind of role and nobody can dispute that there were flashes of talent that were titillating. Unfortunately, that brings us back to the injury issue. But I don't disagree that they had a plan when drafting Perry that, absent the injuries, would have made for an incredible addition to the offense and just may have been a solution to our current 3rd down woes.

Most fans realize that teams rarely burn 1st round picks on role players. And most fans realize that complimentary backs can be added much later in the draft or cheaply on free agency, as Kenny Watson was.

I don't think there was a back with Perry's potential late in the draft or free agency.

I really like Kenny Watson but until last Sunday, he had never shown me the potential that Chris Perry did.

I agree with that. At this point I'm happy with Holt and Green and would be pleased to take a Chatman dump. It's one thing to wait and hope that your freak-of-nature MLB (Brooks) gets healthy, but it's been a year and a half waiting around for a slot receiver -- time to end the cruise for Chatman.

Agreed. I've pimped Chatman harder than most, but every plan has an expiration date.

I don't think there was a back with Perry's potential late in the draft or free agency.

Doesn't matter. This isn't a debate about whether Perry was the best RB available....because there was never any value in selecting a role player with a 1st round pick. Pick another position, address a greater need, and fill the 3rd down role with a cheaper option.

Bull. Burning a 1st round pick on Chris Perry was probably the most controversial pick the Bengals have made under Marvin Lewis, and was 2nd guessed from the very start by plenty of fans, including me.

Hell, there are people on these boards bitching about every pick this franchise has ever made. Crissakes there were guys on here bemoaning the choice of Carson over Leftwich!

My best friend constantly refers to Perry as a backup. Whether you want to call him a role player or a backup, if you can't see the potential that was there sans injuries, I refer you to 1988. Ickey and Brooks added up to Super Bowl XXIII.

Doesn't matter. This isn't a debate about whether Perry was the best RB available....because there was never any value in selecting a role player with a 1st round pick. Pick another position, address a greater need, and fill the 3rd down role with a cheaper option.

Never any value? You must not understand the value of balance between pass and run. Again, I refer you to 1988!