Let's start the draft talk!

bnglsboi8532

At this time, I like Sedrick Ellis (DT), Keith Rivers (OLB) or Jake Long (OT).

I think Glen Dorsey may be gone by the time we pick -- but on the other hand, if we keep playing like we did today, we might have a VERY HIGH draft choice -- that's why I added Jake Long.

As far as position(s) of choice, I like DT, DE, OLB or OT.

From what I've seen so far this year in the college games, OT seems to have a good crop this year.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Glen Dorsey may be gone by the time we pick -- but on the other hand, if we keep playing like we did today, we might have a VERY HIGH draft choice -- that's why I added Jake Long.

From what I've seen so far this year in the college games, OT seems to have a good crop this year.

Gang, the draft isn't the answer. Lets look at the missing in action from the recent draft years.

Draft year 2004

1. Chris Perry NOT PLAYING

2. Keiwan Ratliff NOT a Bengal

Draft year 2005

1. David Pollack NOT PLAYING

2. Odell Thurman NOT PLAYING

3. Chris Henry NOT PLAYING

Draft 2006

1. JJ Playing

2. Whitworth Playing

Draft 2007

1. Hall Playing

2. Irons NOT PLAYING

For the awful 2007 seasons, fully 6 of 9 top two draft picks haven't been part of the team. Got to be one of the worst stats for the NFL. Until the Bengals draft better, the 2008 draft won't help. Snake bit is one word to describe things. Whatever it is, this team has been crippled by the poor draft contributions. Whether we like it or not, effectively this team is in a rebuilding mode.

Actually if we could get our drafted players to stay on the field I'd have no doubt in my mind they'd be the difference.

Plus knowing our luck if we did get a big name FA he'd either brake something or be suspended just as long as odell.

For the awful 2007 seasons, fully 6 of 9 top two draft picks haven't been part of the team. Got to be one of the worst stats for the NFL. Until the Bengals draft better, the 2008 draft won't help. Snake bit is one word to describe things. Whatever it is, this team has been crippled by the poor draft contributions. Whether we like it or not, effectively this team is in a rebuilding mode.

Get a "Good" GM and increase the scouting staff.

Actually if we could get our drafted players to stay on the field I'd have no doubt in my mind they'd be the difference.

Plus knowing our luck if we did get a big name FA he'd either brake something or be suspended just as long as odell.

Of the missing in action, I doubt we'll see Pollack playing for the Bengals. Same for Odell. Chris Perry, Irons and Henry might be back but Perry is a RB built from china. The remaining two aren't going to turn things around. If the Bengals finish 2007 as bad as it appears, they will draft with about 10 picks from the top 10, maybe even top 5 draft spots during each round. But they have lots of money tied up with Levi, Willie and Rudi, all guys not what they were. Those are very big shoes to fill. LB is a mess too. Safeties haven't impressed at all. No one draft will fix things. They look to be a two year project at this point to regain their 2005 status. I'm not ready to give up on Marvin, in fact I hope they keep him. The fact his low round picks have contributed tells me he is a good judge of flesh. He isn't lucky though, and luck counts.

Unabashed plug for the site's mock draft database page:

http://www.bengalszone.com/mockdrafts.php

I haven't updated it in about 2 weeks...looks like I'll have to get back on that... :(

OK...updated as of today...anyone knows of any mocks that aren't on the list let me know.

Penn LB Dan Connor leads with 9 votes, followed by USC DT Sedrick Ellis with 7.

I am in SoCal, so I see Sedrick on the TV....he is a beast.

I also would throw down the DE from Florida, Derrick Harvey is a stud...and the DT from Texas Okam.

Now, for a total change, how about a guy like McFadden? Irons is F'd, Rudi is on the decline, Watson is not a long-term answer, Perry...whatever...

Hmmmm...knowing the Brown family inclination for Offensive tools.

OR, consider the WR spot...Chad goes buh-bye (not likely) or Cheech does another stupid thing....it could be a WR we take: DeSean Jackson..or wait for r3 and take UK WR Steve Johnson, who impressed me to no end in the LSU upset.

If some of ML's recent drafts are indicative of what we might expect, he could tak Austin Scott from Penn St. kidding.

at this point, I have not fully gathered a decent understanding of the talent in the NCAA who will be up for the draft.

(My comments) :huh:

1. Glenn Dorsey- Everything you want in a DT (Everything you want except available when the Bengals pick.)

2. Darren McFadden- Everything you want in a RB ( Well that's just the thing. I don't want a RB. In fact, make me choose and I'd rather go WR.))

3. Sedrick Ellis- Undersized, strong at the point of attack DT (I like him as well as Dorsey. Rare combo of outstanding character AND mean streak.)

4. Kenny Phillips- SS, not our biggest need but would make a huge difference to get a game changing safety. (Haven't seen enough to comment.)

5. Rey Rey- Not on everybody's radar but will be better than Lofa Tatupu (He's not there yet. Until his instincts improve he's not even the best LB on his team.)

6. Keith Rivers- A do everything outside linebacker. ( Simply the best LB playing college ball.)

7. Dan Connor- Great Middle Linebacker who plays great in both run and pass (No complaints.)

8. Jake Long- Premier LT, top 3 pick (Won't be available, and MHO not worth trading up for.)

9. Sam Baker- Premier Tackle, top 7 possibly top 5 (Good but not great. Should be a solid pro, but pretty overhyped.)

10. Frank Okam- huge, strong space eating DT, reminds me of Albert Haynesworth (I've got very strong doubts he'll be drafted in the 1st round.)

11. Shawn Crable- wait for him to workout at the combine and he'll be a top 15 pick (I need to see more.)

12. Lawrence Jackson- Great DE who plays great in both run and pass (I thought he was no better than a 2nd round prospect last year. Still do.)

Sorry guys. I vote LB James Laurinaitis from OSU. He'll be available and the kid is freaking awesome.

I don't think Lil' Animal is the run stuffer that this team needs.

Granted, he's no Sam Adams...oh, wait. That didn't work out real well, did it? Laurinaitis is capable of playing all over the field. He can penetrate offensive lines because of his quickness, and he break up the pass. Mark it down, he'll be an NFL star and, so many others the Bengals coulda had, it won't be in Cincy.

Gang, the draft isn't the answer. Lets look at the missing in action from the recent draft years.

Draft year 2004

1. Chris Perry NOT PLAYING

2. Keiwan Ratliff NOT a Bengal

Draft year 2005

1. David Pollack NOT PLAYING

2. Odell Thurman NOT PLAYING

3. Chris Henry NOT PLAYING

Draft 2006

1. JJ Playing

2. Whitworth Playing

Draft 2007

1. Hall Playing

2. Irons NOT PLAYING

My God the Sky is FALLING -- we must quit hoping -- there is no hope for us -- we are DOOMED.

No matter what we do it will not work -- Bull****!

I do NOT intend to quit hoping that we will get help through the draft. I will NOT quit hoping that we get help through free agency! I will not quit hoping that the players we've got can (and will) get better!!

You may quit -- but I will NOT!!! :PB)

I don't think we'll get Dorsey, but Dan Connor should be available. OT Jake Long is also a good pick. How long until the draft? Areas of need? Obviously we need a linebacker, but Palmer is the franchise, so we have to get an o-lineman. A DT has been needed for 26 years, and Big Daddy couldn't cut it.

I don't think we'll get Dorsey, but Dan Connor should be available. OT Jake Long is also a good pick. How long until the draft? Areas of need? Obviously we need a linebacker, but Palmer is the franchise, so we have to get an o-lineman. A DT has been needed for 26 years, and Big Daddy couldn't cut it.

This thread is similar to the earlier one -- I like Sedrick Ellis DT, Keith Rivers (OLB) and Jake Long (OT). B)

I'm hoping we don't do so poorly that we get a shot at Dorsey, who some are saying is a 1st or second pick in the draft. :D

I think there will be several good OT still left in the second round -- but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Best available DT, DE, LB, OT, G and LB, oh, and also an LB.

Gotta go DT and DE in r1/r2, either or...Robinson, Thornton, and Smith will be goners.

Also, knowing that Thurman and Pollack are write-off's, tey need to get a top FA LB and draft one on day 1.

Four months of draft talk between season's end and the draft is tedious enough...And you want to start it three months early?

I usually say something comparable every year, prompting me to be immediately bitch slapped by whatever draftnick happens to be the most crazed at that given moment. However, I usually start looking at draft sites at this time every year just to see how players I know and covet are stacking up, as well as which players are emerging who I don't know enough about. That gives me a little time to actively seek their games out on television.

How many of you guys really give two sh#ts about this team when you give up on the season and move on to the draft after 5 freakin' games?

Granted, our team has been considerably less than impressive but I am not much impressed with a significant percentage of our fan base, either.

I would not want you F-ing guys as my team mates!

I'll hope for a win against the Jets and go from there. Ya'll can have your mock drafts in October.

DAMN!!!

HERES MY THINKING ON THIS

WE NEED A TOP FA, We need a well established GOOD not average GOOD player from the FA if we fail to do that then expect another subpar season. Sub par season is not being a contender and making playoffs. And we need a big pick in the 1st round I would almost say we ned 2 first rounders, so we can get another takeo spikes brian simmons type pick.That was one of my favorite drafts. cuz both did exeptionally well for a while, and earned they money. So if we can get a good FA and a good pick we might be conteneders again like in 05.