Early Injury Report / Henderson Checks In

HoosierCat

From Hobs today...

BACKERS STILL RESTING: Marvin Lewis showed up healthy for Monday's late afternoon workout as the head coach walked around on his surgically-repaired ankle.

He can only hope his battered linebackers can join him soon because only Landon Johnson (eye) suited up for the workout in Paul Brown Stadium. Rashad Jeanty (leg), Ahmad Brooks (groin), and Caleb Miller (back) took the day off as did running back Rudi Johnson (hamstring).

But the biggest non-appearance, literally and figuratively, was that of Pro Bowl right tackle Willie Anderson. Anderson (knee, foot) didn't sound optimistic after playing only three snaps against New England that he could run his streak of consecutive games played to 117 against Kansas City.

Wide receivers Chad Johnson (ankle) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (knee) worked, as did center Eric Ghiaciuc (thumb). Ghiaciuc looks ready to play for the first time since the opener. His backup, Alex Stepanovich, didn't work.

Now that Marvin's healthy maybe he can suit up and play LB? Can't be worse than Caleb... :lol:

A few more details from Curnutte...

Time doesn't heal all wounds

The Bengals returned from their three-day bye weekend break and hit the field inside Paul Brown Stadium at 4:15 this afternoon for practice.

Several key players are still on the sideline with injury, including starting tailback Rudi Johnson (hamstring) and middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks (groin). Fellow linebacker Rashad Jeanty, whom the Bengals were hopeful to have returning after the bye, was on the field in cleats and with his ankles taped. He did not have his jersey or helmet. Linebacker Caleb Miller (back) was on the sidelines, too.

Starting linebacker Landon Johnson (eye) and center Eric Ghiaciuc (thumb) appeared to be practicing fully. (The Bengals are not obligated to create an injury report today and have chosen not to.)

Right tackle Willie Anderson (heel, knee) was not on the field. His assigned parking spot was empty outside the stadium in the players' lot.

Also not practicing: center Alex Stepanovich, safety Ethan Kilmer (knee) and defensive end Jonathan Fanene (knee).

On the field, though, were wide receivers Chad Johnson (ankle) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (knee).

Head coach Marvin Lewis had his cast removed and was walking without crutches. He had undergone surgery to repair torn ankle tendons in August.

Well, hopefully a few more days and Jeanty and Brooks can be good enough to go, because without those two they're screwed. Hell I'd take Miller over Schleg and Jones.

And I don't know why they insist on putting Kooistra at RT - move Whit or Levi over there and put Willie on maternity leave or IR. Maybe that would require too much effort from Alexander, dunno. I would think you'd want your two best tackles in the game.

Lapham said tonight on the radio that it didn't look like Rudi was going to play this week, at this point.

And more from Lance.. notice the highlighted.

Post-practice quotes, non-quotes

Coach Marvin Lewis on whether his many injured players are healthier heading toward the Kansas City game: "We'll see."

Tailback Rudi Johnson on whether he would play after missing a game with a hamstring injury: "Nothing to interview."

Lewis on the appearance of former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson at practice today: "He's been here all season."

Center Eric Ghiaciuc on whether he would play Sunday and if his injured thumb is better: (He put up two thumbs and smiled).

Linebacker Rashad Jeanty on whether he would play Sunday: "You have to ask them. ... I feel like I'm getting better every day."

A few more details from Curnutte...

Time doesn't heal all wounds

The Bengals returned from their three-day bye weekend break and hit the field inside Paul Brown Stadium at 4:15 this afternoon for practice.

Several key players are still on the sideline with injury, including starting tailback Rudi Johnson (hamstring) and middle linebacker Ahmad Brooks (groin). Fellow linebacker Rashad Jeanty, whom the Bengals were hopeful to have returning after the bye, was on the field in cleats and with his ankles taped. He did not have his jersey or helmet. Linebacker Caleb Miller (back) was on the sidelines, too.

Starting linebacker Landon Johnson (eye) and center Eric Ghiaciuc (thumb) appeared to be practicing fully. (The Bengals are not obligated to create an injury report today and have chosen not to.)

Right tackle Willie Anderson (heel, knee) was not on the field. His assigned parking spot was empty outside the stadium in the players' lot.

Also not practicing: center Alex Stepanovich, safety Ethan Kilmer (knee) and defensive end Jonathan Fanene (knee).

On the field, though, were wide receivers Chad Johnson (ankle) and T.J. Houshmandzadeh (knee).

Head coach Marvin Lewis had his cast removed and was walking without crutches. He had undergone surgery to repair torn ankle tendons in August.

In re the linebacker situation. I knew the Bengals were in trouble this past Monday. I was in the press box and someone with a Bengals shirt on came in and asked if there was anyone there under the age of 35. Unfortunately, there wasn't. :lol:

Lewis on the appearance of former Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson at practice today: "He's been here all season."

Innnnnnteresting...nice find, ox.

I quickly googled Donnie Henderson and the Bengals, and there was speculation that Marvin wanted to bring him in when Marvin first took over the team--but that was years ago.

Hobson: "But most spots look to turn over, especially on defense, where he could bring in Ravens secondary coach Donnie Henderson as coordinator, and current Redskins defensive line coach Ricky Hunley."

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=1639

But I could not find anything about Henderson currently working with the team. Maybe he is just a hired gun to work with our young secondary.

I'd say it was more than speculation that Marvin wanted to hire Henderson as his 1st defensive coordinator. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the first moves he made was asking for permisssion to interview Henderson, which Henderson's team was allowed to deny because it was considered a lateral move.

Then again, maybe Marvin wants Henderson to be named the Bengals new GM?*

* :lmao:

HENDERSON CHECKS IN: Donnie Henderson, who coached linebackers under Lewis in Baltimore before becoming a defensive coordinator with the Jets and Lions, walked off the practice field Monday and aroused the interest of the media.

Henderson, fired in Detroit after last season, spent the early part of training camp at Georgetown College observing practice. Lewis said Monday that Henderson has been with the club all season but had no further comment on his role.

Given that he wasn't wearing coaching togs and hasn't been seen early in practice on the field during the media period, it appears he's continuing to observe rather than work on-field activities.

Henderson's appearance will no doubt conjure up comparisons to defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan's arrival in 2004 as an assistant to Leslie Frazier before Bresnahan took over in '05. But the difference is that Bresnahan was an on-field coach from the start of the spring camps in '04................ I don't know if this was posted but I hope it happens...

I'd say it was more than speculation that Marvin wanted to hire Henderson as his 1st defensive coordinator. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the first moves he made was asking for permisssion to interview Henderson, which Henderson's team was allowed to deny because it was considered a lateral move.

They just need to show Chuck the door now, me likey how Marv's grooming the replacement ala Chuck Bres.

Henderson has what it takes to make this defense a top ten unit, this news just made my day!!

:cheers::sure:

:excited::excitedgroup:

:banana:

:clap:

:partyhat:

I don't recall Henderson's name coming up outside of media speculation, but it's been a while. I do remember that the guy Marvin initially wanted in the DC slot wasn't Frazier, but Falcons secondary coach Emmitt Thomas -- and that the Falcons denied the Bengals permission to talk to him, and gave Thomas some kind of paper promotion.

Well, Donnie doesn't actually appear to be here in a coaching role, so who knows? If Marvin does have him in mind for the player personnel role PFT described, he'd be more qualified than any of the other jokers the team has on staff.

I don't recall Henderson's name coming up outside of media speculation, but it's been a while. I do remember that the guy Marvin initially wanted in the DC slot wasn't Frazier, but Falcons secondary coach Emmitt Thomas -- and that the Falcons denied the Bengals permission to talk to him, and gave Thomas some kind of paper promotion.

Yeah, it's been long enough that memories have faded and facts have become fuzzy. That said, I think we're both right. I no longer remember if the Thomas talk came before Henderson, or vice versa, but in both examples teams denied Marvin an opportunity to speak to either coach...prompting plenty of media speculation about Marvin having a difficult time putting together a staff. It was also suggested that whatever staff he did put together might include several stopgaps, coaches who would be replaced after a year or two when better candidates became available. Judge for yourself if any of this really happened but I do recall the latter idea was refloated after Frazier was fired and replaced by Bres.

Henderson has what it takes to make this defense a top ten unit, this news just made my day!!

If that's true why was he fired in Detroit after last season?

Coaching can only do so much, at some point you need talent. Henderson did well with the Jets and with the Ravens, so 2 out 3 ain't bad. Maybe he didn't get along with Marinelli, I honestly don't know why he was fired. But I do know he's a hell of coach who has proven that he can properly motivate a defense.

Maybe Chuck goes, maybe he doesn't. All I know is I want Henderson on this coaching staff.

Yeah, it's been long enough that memories have faded and facts have become fuzzy. That said, I think we're both right. I no longer remember if the Thomas talk came before Henderson, or vice versa, but in both examples teams denied Marvin an opportunity to speak to either coach...prompting plenty of media speculation about Marvin having a difficult time putting together a staff. It was also suggested that whatever staff he did put together might include several stopgaps, coaches who would be replaced after a year or two when better candidates became available. Judge for yourself if any of this really happened but I do recall the latter idea was refloated after Frazier was fired and replaced by Bres.

Yup. I do remember Marvin getting blocked several times and that he ended up going with Nos. 2 and 3 choices in some cases. Henderson could have been one of the guys he got cut off from; like I said, it's been a while.

Coaching can only do so much, at some point you need talent. Henderson did well with the Jets and with the Ravens, so 2 out 3 ain't bad. Maybe he didn't get along with Marinelli, I honestly don't know why he was fired. But I do know he's a hell of coach who has proven that he can properly motivate a defense.

Maybe Chuck goes, maybe he doesn't. All I know is I want Henderson on this coaching staff.

Actually, Marinelli and Henderson go way back, as this story on Henderson getting canned notes. But Henderson is more of a "Frazier" type, a lover of exotic blitz schemes and so forth, and that never meshed with the Tampa Two Marinelli installed. Which is why I find the idea of Henderson as a potential replacement for Bresh a bit of a head-scratcher...but ya never know.

Goheen drops this little addenda regarding Henderson at the tail end of his story today (emphasis added):

Henderson formerly coached with Marvin Lewis at Baltimore and was a fixture at training camp this year.

A fixture at camp???? Well, gee whiz, Kevin, nice of you to mention that a freakin' month after camp ended! Well, I suppose you deserve some credit, since your competitors Ludwig and Curnutte either didn't notice or are too embarassed to admit it.

Sheesh. You would think that the having the former DC of the Jets and Lions hanging around all camp might have merited at least a note? I mean, I certainly find that more newsworthy than, say, the lunch menu and B-rob's oxygen tent and this year's t-shirt slogan, all common camp stories. Yet not one of these dingbats appears to have thought it worth mentioning. Unreal.

Henderson formerly coached with Marvin Lewis at Baltimore and was a fixture at training camp this year.

A fixture at camp???? Well, gee whiz, Kevin, nice of you to mention that a freakin' month after camp ended! Well, I suppose you deserve some credit, since your competitors Ludwig and Curnutte either didn't notice or are too embarassed to admit it.

Sheesh. You would think that the having the former DC of the Jets and Lions hanging around all camp might have merited at least a note? I mean, I certainly find that more newsworthy than, say, the lunch menu and B-rob's oxygen tent and this year's t-shirt slogan, all common camp stories. Yet not one of these dingbats appears to have thought it worth mentioning. Unreal.

Hobson also writes today:

"HENDERSON CHECKS IN: Donnie Henderson, who coached linebackers under Lewis in Baltimore before becoming a defensive coordinator with the Jets and Lions, walked off the practice field Monday and aroused the interest of the media.

Henderson, fired in Detroit after last season, spent the early part of training camp at Georgetown College observing practice. Lewis said Monday that Henderson has been with the club all season but had no further comment on his role.

Given that he wasn't wearing coaching togs and hasn't been seen early in practice on the field during the media period, it appears he's continuing to observe rather than work on-field activities.

Henderson's appearance will no doubt conjure up comparisons to defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan's arrival in 2004 as an assistant to Leslie Frazier before Bresnahan took over in '05.

But the difference is that Bresnahan was an on-field coach from the start of the spring camps in '04."

------

He seems just as speculative and surprised as the "interest of the media"--after all, he wasn't wearing coaching togs! During camp (if he reallt ever was there) Hobson probably just thought Henderson was an undrafted CFA trying out to be a LB (or maybe TE.)

Actually, Marinelli and Henderson go way back, as this story on Henderson getting canned notes. But Henderson is more of a "Frazier" type, a lover of exotic blitz schemes and so forth, and that never meshed with the Tampa Two Marinelli installed. Which is why I find the idea of Henderson as a potential replacement for Bresh a bit of a head-scratcher...but ya never know.

Sounds like they agreed to disagree more so than Donnie getting s**t canned, also Henderson wasn't his first choice either. Marinelli wanted his son-in-law to get the job to begin with and his contract was up so it was only natural that he would fill that role. Detroit's defense lacks the horses to get a top ten unit, imo..

Unlike our defense they don't have first day draft picks at every position and Pro Bowl caliber players who just need to be put in the right position to make plays.

He seems just as speculative and surprised as the "interest of the media"--after all, he wasn't wearing coaching togs! During camp (if he reallt ever was there) Hobson probably just thought Henderson was an undrafted CFA trying out to be a LB (or maybe TE.)

That is a reasonable explanation, after all who knows what all of the coordinators look like by sight in the NFL anyway. On the other hand, if Goheen did recognize him as a "fixture" at camp, why wouldn't he have mentioned it? HC's confusion is completely justified IMO.

So the linebackers are all still broken? And the Bengals are going to go into a game against an angry Larry Johnson with just four backers? After what happened against NE?

It's like a commercial for the old SNL spoof commercial Bad Idea Jeans.