10 Truths: Marvin in middle in Cincy

10 Truths: Marvin in middle in Cincy

Jason Whitlock

Have you ever heard a woman referred to as a Bengal? Good uniform, bad helmet. And, no, the description wasn't part of the Isiah Thomas sexual-harassment trial.

Here are your NFL Truths for Week 5:

10. With road games against Dallas and Indianapolis within the next month, it's unlikely the Patriots will remain undefeated longer than the Cowboys and Colts. But there is little doubt New England is the class of the NFL.

The Patriots have destroyed all of their opponents and they've done it without the services of Rodney Harrison and Richard Seymour. When the Pats have their full complement of defensive stalwarts and a Randy Moss-fueled offense, we're talking about an all-time great team.

The Cowboys play in the NFC, so that gives them an edge in the race to stay unblemished. And the Cowboys have the horses to do it. They've been scoring just as many points as the Patriots, and the 'Boys have a freakish receiver with something to prove, too, Terrell Owens.

The Colts are the weakest of the three teams in the regular season. What I mean by that is once Indy gets to the playoffs the equation has to be changed. Week to week Indy's run defense is too reliant on safety Bob Sanders. Can he survive 16 weeks as an undersized middle linebacker?

But once the Colts are in the playoffs and they're relatively healthy, they become as dangerous as the Patriots and the Cowboys. Sanders and pass rusher Dwight Freeney can get hot and shut down an offense.

9. If I'm Jerry Jones, Tony Romo doesn't get a new contract until after the playoffs.

There's no doubt that Romo is underpaid right now at a million bucks. Through four games he's playing close to the same level as Tom Brady and Peyton Manning. But we saw Romo slow down last season after a hot start.

The NFL is a 16-game marathon that concludes with a mountain climb called the playoffs. If Romo wants to be paid like a true franchise quarterback let him prove he can run the marathon and climb at least a portion of the mountain.

8. Marvin Lewis is learning the lesson Dennis Green learned in Minnesota: Don't turn your team over to wide receivers.

Remember when Dennis Green partnered up with Randy Moss and Cris Carter and basically named them assistants to the head coach? Moss and Carter went wherever Denny went. Denny fought to get Randy a mammoth contract.

How'd that work out for Denny?

The exact same way Marvin Lewis' partnership with Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is working out. T.J. yelled at Marvin about play-calling on the sideline during Cincy's embarrassing loss to the Patriots. Johnson continues to bojangle for the cameras at every opportunity and turn the Cincy sideline into a re-enactment of "Flavor of Love."

T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson may be somewhat entertaining, but does anyone see them as coaching material? 7297314_36_3.jpg

And guess what? Marvin could be overheard by the media screaming at his team about being selfish and telling his team that the coaches will call the plays without being second-guessed by the players (receivers).

Johnson and Houshmandzadeh are great players. You can win with them. But if you coddle them, they will undermine team discipline. If Lewis continues to allow Johnson to play by one set of rules and turn the Bengals into Chad's personal reality show, the team will not come out of this funk.

Just ask Denny Green.

Marvin can't ask 52 guys to play like men and allow Johnson to tap dance and shuffle for the amusement of a TV audience. Yes, I realize TV broadcasters are fond of gushing about how much they love Johnson and how "fun" he is.

Johnson isn't the first black man to be loved for bojangling. But there isn't a long list of bojangling idiots who led their teams to Super Bowl titles.

7. At the end of the season, Chargers general manager A.J. Smith and head coach Norv Turner should both be replaced by Marty Schottenheimer.

I'm not a Marty fan. The guy chokes at playoff time. But there is no denying that Chargers owner Alex Spanos chose the wrong guy in the Schottenheimer-Smith feud. Spanos should fix his mistake by giving Schottenheimer control of the franchise for two years. Let Marty be head coach and GM. That's what Marty wants.

He wanted the same thing in Kansas City. He got that power in 1997 and 1998. It worked in '97 and blew up in his face in 1998, and he walked away and left a band of thugs behind. Maybe Marty learned a lesson in K.C. and won't repeat that mistake.

Marty has earned the opportunity to fail in San Diego. A.J. Smith has earned a pink slip. Replacing Schottenheimer with Norv Turner, a career failure as a head coach, is one of the worst decisions in NFL history.

6. Let me be the first to say it: Andy Reid is overrated.

Standing on the sideline and calling pass play after pass play while the Giants are hammering the franchise quarterback who built your reputation was one of the most selfish coaching acts I've ever witnessed.

Donovan McNabb should've slapped Reid after Philly's 16-3 loss. What a joke. No way you let your star quarterback get sacked a dozen times, especially on a night when your ground game is giving you 5 yards per carry.

It's easy to blame Philly tackle Winston Justice, aka Highway-74, the express route to the quarterback. But Reid's game plan was atrocious. McNabb is being used and thrown to the wolves.

5. I'm repeating myself: The Bears should've signed Byron Leftwich.

Brian Griese is not the answer. Rex Grossman isn't even a question. And now that Joey Harrington has warmed, Leftwich may never get a shot in Atlanta. Leftwich certainly won't be helping a playoff contender this year.

4. I owe someone in Green Bay an apology, and it's not Brett Favre.

I've been a longtime critic of Packers coach Mike McCarthy. It goes back to his days as an assistant in Kansas City under offensive coordinator Paul Hackett. I predicted McCarthy would be a flop in Green Bay.

Well, it's early in McCarthy's tenure and his story as a head coach has yet to be told, but so far he's handled an incredibly difficult situation quite well. McCarthy somehow has managed to get Favre under control and back to playing at a Pro Bowl level.

Favre's re-emergence is turning into one of the great stories this season. McCarthy deserves a lot of the credit. I don't mind being wrong about McCarthy.

3. Even at 3-1, there's no reason for people in Detroit to stop the Fire Millen Movement.

After further review, I've got the Lions losing their next four -- at Washington, Tampa Bay, at Chicago and Denver.

The Lions have more in common with the team that surrendered 56 points to McNabb and the Eagles than the team that has used nine interceptions from Brian Griese, Tarvaris Jackson and Josh McCown to win three games.

2. For you Notre Dame fans wondering at home, I'm a week or two away from writing a gloating/scathing column about Charlie Weis and the grossly premature contract extension Notre Dame gave him.

Oh, I haven't forgotten all the nasty e-mails I received two years ago after pointing out that ND had no business giving The Great Weis Hope a 10-year contract extension for doing far less in his first eight games than Tyrone Willingham did in his first eight at Notre Dame.

But before I strike I'm waiting on additional information to trickle in, such as I want it to be crystal clear that the Irish are the fourth-best Division I football team in Indiana -- after Purdue, Indiana and my Ball State Cardinals.

FYI: My Cardinals just might be the best team in the state. "The Nate Show with Dante and Darius" is the best-kept secret in college football. If there's a better quarterback (Nate Davis), receiver (Dante Love) and tight end (Darius Hill) trio in the country, someone drop me an e-mail and tell me about it.

1. Trent Green could've retired last season with his head held high and as a Kansas City icon.

Instead, he had to prove he could have success without the nurturing influence of Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders. Green is going to tarnish his reputation in Miami. I hope he retires after this season.

1. Trent Green could've retired last season with his head held high and as a Kansas City icon.

Instead, he had to prove he could have success without the nurturing influence of Dick Vermeil and Al Saunders. Green is going to tarnish his reputation in Miami. I hope he retires after this season.

Well, that was timely. Green deliberately targets a defenders knee and quickly finds himself being wheeled of the field firmly attached to a board. Perhaps next time he'll save everyone some time by having wheels permanently attached to his back.

Well, that was timely. Green deliberately targets a defenders knee and quickly finds himself being wheeled of the field firmly attached to a board. Perhaps next time he'll save everyone some time by having wheels permanently attached to his back.

To be truthful, if I had to put a block on a guy that size, I'd take out his knee too. It's all about survival Hair. B)

To be truthful, if I had to put a block on a guy that size, I'd take out his knee too. It's all about survival Hair. B)

Well that's just the thing, you can blow up anyone...regardless of size...if they're completely unaware of you. Instead, Green chose to target Travis Johnsons knee, as dirty a play you'll ever see, and an act that could have instantly ended Johnson's career.

So how appropriate it would be if the concussion Green sustained was bad enough to end his playing days?

Yeah I disagreed with Olberman's "worst NFL player of the week" segment last night as being Johnson, who stood over Green and yelled at him while he laid on the ground. I think I would've done the same thing if some QB took a cheap shot like that.

I didn't see the play. Was it obvious that Green was knocked out? If so - that's BS - how did he know Green wasn't dead or paralyzed?

Green was face-down and motionless. I suspect Johnson didn't know it when he first turned and began to taunt Green. But it looked like he figured it out.

I laughed when he whined about Green trying to injure him. Johnson's a d-lineman, right? Let's rewind that play. Instead of throwing a pass, Green hangs onto the ball. Johnson grabs him for the sack. Does Johnson take it easy with Green so he doesn't hurt him? Or does he tackle him in such a way that either drives his shoulder into the ground or slams his head onto the turf? Either of those actions could be viewed as serving the very real, though very unspoken, goal of knocking the quarterback out of the game. Also known as injuring the quarterback. Poor Travis Johnson. Another NFL player tried to injure him!

Would you feel sorry if someone punched you in the back of your head and broke their hand, probably not.

Anyone who is condemning Johnson has never played football at a high level, football is a very emotional game and alot of the guys in the NFL use their emotions to make them play better, especially defensive players. Johnson was the victim of a illegal cheap shot on his knee and reacted in an emotional state, clearly not in his right state of mind. However after the game Johnson gave a second press conference in which he wished Green good luck recovering. Not sure you could ask him to do more, in the heat of the game he made an emotional reaction and that's it. Green is one who tried to cheap shot Johnson, he's lucky all Johnson did was yell at him really.

Would feel sorry if someone tried to punch in the back of your head and broke their hand, probably not.

anyone who is condemning Johnson has never played football at a high level, football is a very emotional game and alot of the guys in the NFL use their emotions to make them play better, especially defensive players. Johnson was the victim of a illegal cheap shot on his knee and reacted in an emotional state, clearly not in his right state of mind. However after the game Johnson gave a second press conference in which he wished Green good luck recovering. Not sure you could ask him to do more, in the heat of the game he made an emotional reaction and that's it. Green is one who tried to cheap shot Johnson, he's lucky all Johnson did was yell at him really.

It wasn't illegal.

My guess would be that Trent Green was in a very emotional state too. Especially when he he had to act on instinct to try to tackle a guy that outweighed him by 100 lbs during a critical play.

I think we can classify this whole thing as just something that happens in the game.

I bet Johnson feels like a chump for yelling at Green but I would agree with you that he probably wasn't thinking very clearly for the few seconds after it happened

Would feel sorry if someone tried to punch in the back of your head and broke their hand, probably not.

anyone who is condemning Johnson has never played football at a high level, football is a very emotional game and alot of the guys in the NFL use their emotions to make them play better, especially defensive players. Johnson was the victim of a illegal cheap shot on his knee and reacted in an emotional state, clearly not in his right state of mind. However after the game Johnson gave a second press conference in which he wished Green good luck recovering. Not sure you could ask him to do more, in the heat of the game he made an emotional reaction and that's it. Green is one who tried to cheap shot Johnson, he's lucky all Johnson did was yell at him really.

It wasn't illegal.

My guess would be that Trent Green was in a very emotional state too. Especially when he he had to act on instinct to try to tackle a guy that outweighed him by 100 lbs during a critical play.

I think we can classify this whole thing as just something that happens in the game.

I bet Johnson feels like a chump for yelling at Green but I would agree with you that he probably wasn't thinking very clearly for the few seconds after it happened

Well it should be, if it's illegal for a qb to get hit like that why isn't illegal for every other player that is not carrying the ball.

Green is the one who decided to go after the big guys knee when he wasn't facing him, it was a cheapshot at best.

What he said about DGreen and MLewis did seem eerily similar...I would not like to lose MLewis but my respect level has dropped just a little...It has more to do with coaching decisions and ingame adjustments as well as his choice of DC...

What he said about DGreen and MLewis did seem eerily similar...I would not like to lose MLewis but my respect level has dropped just a little...It has more to do with coaching decisions and ingame adjustments as well as his choice of DC...

And what exactly, does any of that have to do with Trent Green and Travis Johnson? Way to bring this whole thread off topic man! <_<

Okay, beside Trent Green's melon, does anyone have anything to say regarding the comments in this articel about the Bengals?

Well since you asked, no. The exact remarks made about Marvin have already been the subject of two seperate threats, a merge, and much discussion. Thus, I see no need for a 3rd thread debating the whether the Mr Bojangles remark was out of line.

"The dog up and died. He up and died."

So lets see if we can get this thread back on track. Ready?

Cheap shot...career ending injury....poetic justice....karma is a bitch....no need to send cards and flowers.

Okay, beside Trent Green's melon, does anyone have anything to say regarding the comments in this articel about the Bengals?

Well since you asked, no. The exact remarks made about Marvin have already been the subject of two seperate threats, a merge, and much discussion. Thus, I see no need for a 3rd thread debating the whether the Mr Bojangles remark was out of line.

I dunno', I know we've discussed Marv's post-game blow up and whether Chad's antics are a distraction et al' but I don't remember seeing a thread about TJ screaming at Lewis on the sidelines or whether he also, might be part of the problem.

Maybe it's just me...

I dunno', I know we've discussed Marv's post-game blow up and whether Chad's antics are a distraction et al' but I don't remember seeing a thread about TJ screaming at Lewis on the sidelines or whether he also, might be part of the problem.

Maybe it's just me...

In regards to the Bengals, there wasn't a single word in the article that hadn't already been posted twice before. As for whether TJ might also be part of the problem...it's been discussed but not at length, probably because Housh doesn't play the clown. Or if you pefer, the Mr Bojangle role. .

Maybe it's just me...

In regards to the Bengals, there wasn't a single word in the article that hadn't already been posted twice before. As for whether TJ might also be part of the problem...it's been discussed but not at length, probably because Housh doesn't play the clown. Or if you pefer, the Mr Bojangle role. .

eh, fair enough.

Continue posting off topic B)

Maybe it's just me...

Agree and agree

Maybe it's just me...

eh, fair enough.

Continue posting off topic B)

Officially it's really not "off topic" if subject matter was included somewhere in the initial post.

OTOH, "off topic" posting is pretty common here. I'm as guilty as any.

Some topics die, take a turn for the worse, or even become quite entertaining. This moderator is quite tolerant of it. I want to see people participating here in the forums most of all, and if it's in an off topic post, odds are I'm gonna let it ride. If it bothers you, I'm sorry. You've seem to let it go for the most part which is cool. :sure:

Officially it's really not "off topic" if subject matter was included somewhere in the initial post.

OTOH, "off topic" posting is pretty common here. I'm as guilty as any.

Some topics die, take a turn for the worse, or even become quite entertaining. This moderator is quite tolerant of it. I want to see people participating here in the forums most of all, and if it's in an off topic post, odds are I'm gonna let it ride. If it bothers you, I'm sorry. You've seem to let it go for the most part which is cool. :sure:

I was just joshing guys, hence the little smilie at the end. :rolleyes:

Although I haven't been posting here all that long, I'm a sports forum veteran, I know how it works. :sure: