Areas of concern after week 2

combatbengal

1. We lost to the Browns! Nobody predicted this. This maybe a long season.

2. Def has shown that they don't have any consistency. Week one, they were on fire. Week two, they let an unproven offense walk all over them.

3. DB’s, still can’t cover people. The Browns were wide open all day.

4. Tackling, what tackling? There wasn’t any today.

5. WR, we’re getting all these guys hurt.

6. Special teams, can’t cover on kicks.

7. We haven’t won games that were offensive shootouts.

8. Palmer hasn’t been on target. Yes he threw for 400 yards, but there were a lot of passes off today.

9. Rudi has fumbled twice this season.

Areas of concern? The D. That's pretty much it. Do you know how hard it is to put up 45 points against the worst NFL has to offer and lose? You have to almost try to accomplish that feat.

I dont think the Ravens offense is any better than the Browns. But they probably had a different strategy than the Brown to attack the Bengals and the Browns either saw something on tape or they were video taping our signal callers.

I think it's this simple.

Against the Ravens the Bengals had literally months to prepare a defensive gameplan and they picked the correct one, attacking Steve Mcnair relentlessly with everything they had. Six short days later they overwhelmingly preferred coverage over pass rushing....believing that the likes of Derek Anderson couldn't beat them despite having a pretty impressive number of offensive weapons at his disposal.

Lesson learned?

I doubt it. In fact, whatever message the Bengals delivered after week one was just returned to sender.

Against the Ravens the Bengals had literally months to prepare a defensive gameplan and they picked the correct one, attacking Steve Mcnair relentlessly with everything they had. Six short days later they overwhelmingly preferred coverage over pass rushing....believing that the likes of Derek Anderson couldn't beat them despite having a pretty impressive number of offensive weapons at his disposal.

Lesson learned?

I doubt it. In fact, whatever message the Bengals delivered after week one was just returned to sender.

No kidding, I'm stunned. I recall saying after the first win that surely even *Chuck* could figure out the moral to the story, namely that QB pressure leads to QB mistakes. Look how much different game 1 was compared to last year! Anyone could figure that out, right? Well, I seem to overestimated his intelligence.

So let's make this even more clear - the worst QB in the league will look likea God if you don't get pressure.

2. Def has shown that they don't have any consistency. Week one, they were on fire. Week two, they let an unproven offense walk all over them.

8. Palmer hasn’t been on target. Yes he threw for 400 yards, but there were a lot of passes off today.

This loss is 100% on the defense, and this retard:

effchuck3sq1.jpg

The offense did their job by putting up 45 points. If you can't win after scoring that many in this league, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who has to go. Later days Chuck. I hope you get a pink slip TOMARROW you piece of two legged, walking, talkin', dog s**t!

This loss is 100% on the defense, and this retard:

effchuck3sq1.jpg

The offense did their job by putting up 45 points. If you can't win after scoring that many in this league, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out who has to go. Later days Chuck. I hope you get a pink slip TOMARROW you piece of two legged, walking, talkin', dog s**t!

You're upset ............. I can tell. This is kinda why I was warning against gettin' out Mr. Happy last week because the defense played "decent".

Defense has to take the hit for most of this, but I have to admit that 2 returns that were allowed by Special ( sic ) Teams that set up epic drives of 11 and 15 yards didn't help & neither did the 1st int or the 1st fumble. Both of those provided the Browns with short fields as well.

Had 1 pretty good game against a quality opponent & 1 real stinker against a .. uh .... stinker .

I want to see how we do against the next 2 before I open up my femoral artery ( wrist takes too long ).

My concern is NOT about how we are going to do in the next few games, but how THIS loss is going to play into those games. If the goal line stand in the Ravens game was such an uplifting thing to this defense that has caught so much crap, how do you come out the following week and F*CK IT ALL UP ?? Upset ?? Every Bengals fan should be so pissed off right now they can't hardly take it.

WHODEY !!!

My concern is NOT about how we are going to do in the next few games, but how THIS loss is going to play into those games. If the goal line stand in the Ravens game was such an uplifting thing to this defense that has caught so much crap, how do you come out the following week and F*CK IT ALL UP ?? Upset ?? Every Bengals fan should be so pissed off right now they can't hardly take it.

Let me ask you a question Army. If you did you job as poorly and as often as Bresnahan has, what would happen? I think you'd be up in front of your commanding officer facing dereliction of duty charges, followed by either a dishonorable discharge and/or a trip to Leavenworth Penitentiary would you not?

Something big must happen, otherwise there will be no change. Fire Bresnahan now!

My commander is sitting next to me right now and we just had the same conversation. I told him, if I just constantly performed poorly and had my medics who work with me constanly F*cking things up, how long would I be the Senior Medical NCO ?? He said, "You wouldn't be"...

My thought to that is, I'm not getting paid a sh*tload of money to do this job and putting my life on the line in the process and here we have a defensive coordinator, who consistently has his unit finish in the bottom 3 of the league and still has a job.

Is this all our organization can expect from our coaches ?? This game should be all that is needed to show what complete ineptitude Bresnahan brings to this organiztion. His asspiece should be shown the door !!!

WHODEY !!!

Lesson learned?

No kidding, I'm stunned. I recall saying after the first win that surely even *Chuck* could figure out the moral to the story, namely that QB pressure leads to QB mistakes. Look how much different game 1 was compared to last year! Anyone could figure that out, right? Well, I seem to overestimated his intelligence.

So let's make this even more clear - the worst QB in the league will look likea God if you don't get pressure.

Quoted for truth. Just made the same point in another thread.

How they didn't have an exotic blitz package at least ready to go in case of emergency for this week is beyond me. Or, why, coming out of halftime, they were not able to make that adjustment.

I really do question the simple competence of ChuckB. And ML for allowing that to continue.

Leon hall got burned, lost, and blocked all day long. It Reminded me of the USC-Michigan game where the taller jarret was able to get behind him an exploit him down field all game. I think every long pass to a wide reciever, leon was either trailing or blew the coverage entirely. The run defence was abysmal. Jamal always tears us up. Why, because he is a beast and caleb miller and landon johnson have eating disorders and need to seek help for their anorexia. Cant stop the run with 200lbs backers. And why cant chuck make in game adjustments. Happens every year. If we game plan well like against baltimore we are fine, if we dont we never adjust and just get smoked. And where was the heat on the pass rush. After such success last week, could we not mix it up a little. So predictable.

I agree with everything that's been said on this thread. I'm a commander and I'd be fired if my unit performed the way the Def performed yesterday. Actually, I'd have enough balls to go to my higher and asked to be replaced. The Soldiers deserve outstanding leadership, mentorship, guidance, etc. Same for the Bengals Def. The questions is, who will replace Chuck, if he's fired? Marvin can’t do it all. MB would probably want to hire someone from within the organization. Maybe his daughter Katie.

This group looked so bad, I don't think anyone knows were to look first. We all know that LB's are an area of concern, but Madieu Williams played like a f**king bum. He upsets me more and more every week. He might as well be a non-factor in passing game, he gives NO support. He'll put a hit on a guy here and there, but that's what every single safety in the league does so he gets NO credit for that from me. I want to see him make some real plays!!! Until then, he'll remain on my s**t-list.

The questions is, who will replace Chuck, if he's fired? Marvin can’t do it all.

There's a fairly long history of Head Coaches assuming the responsibilities of fired coordinators, and IMHO it's exactly what Marvin Lewis should do. Lewis's personal resume isn't built on soft coverage packages and vanilla schemes. In fact, the exact opposite is true....even though he's never been a mad blitzer ala Dick LeBeau. But regardless of if the breakdown rests in scheme, gameplanning or defensive playcalling the failure has lasted too long and answers and accountability are needed immediately.

The questions is, who will replace Chuck, if he's fired? Marvin can’t do it all.

There's a fairly long history of Head Coaches assuming the responsibilities of fired coordinators, and IMHO it's exactly what Marvin Lewis should do. Lewis's personal resume isn't built on soft coverage packages and vanilla schemes. In fact, the exact opposite is true....even though he's never been a mad blitzer ala Dick LeBeau. But regardless of if the breakdown rests in scheme, gameplanning or defensive playcalling the failure has lasted too long and answers and accountability are needed immediately.

I'm not a big fan of mid-season firings -- but I could make a big exception here. First of all, it's early enough to do it. Secondly, we have 2 tough games coming up, so if we're going to continue to struggle, best to do it when you were going to have a long day already. Better to get this $hi$ out of the way before Pitt. Sorry if it makes ML's life a little harder, but he's treading dangerous ground with huge breakdowns like this. Somebody has got to get a handle on this and the scheme IS something that can be changed.

Here are my top areas of concern for the Bengals..

1. Special teams - In past 4 games played the special teams have either given up a TD or blown a play at end of the game which helped us lose the game. They've had some good returns but the coverage has been awful this year and St. Louis looked shaky in the first game snapping the ball. Special teams has to do a 180 degree turn around this week and stay consistant.

2. Defense- Too inconsistant. One week we're flying around smacking people in the mouth, the next week we're looking like lost puppies getting spanked by a PS squad qb making his 4 career start for team that got shut out last week giving up over 500 yards in total offense. Consistancy, consistancy, consistancy..Jay Hughes needs to motivate his guys better week in and week out, Coyle has to make sure his guys don't blow coverage like they did on Sunday, and Marvin has to make sure that the unit as a whole is ready to go every week, not just on the nationally televised games.

3. Running game- Even though Rudi went for over 100 yards, he still fumbled making it 2 lost fumbles in 2 games. With his lack of speed and home run hitting ability if he continues to fumble the ball he could be setting himself up to get replaced this offseason. Marv has drafted 2 rb's since taking the helms so clearly he's not all the way comfortable with Rudi has the feature back. Rudi needs to atleast hold on the ball since he's not a home run threat, if we can't count on the bruiser back to hold on to the ball what good is he?

Hopefully the coaching staff and the players come up with some answers by the time we go to the west coast to play a very game Seahawks who lost a close one to a divisional opponent. Never team wants to start off the season @ 1-2, it's going to be a war vs. a very good offense.

...at least Glen Holt looks like a solid #3 option at wr. He earned his pay check yesterday.

He made Tab Perry seem like an afterthought. No signs whatsoever of the miscommunication and questionable route running that were becoming commonplace.

But the fact that we are so deep into the depth chart is a concern, cause who is next behind Holt?