Patriots Videotaping "cheating" incident

mgilgris

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article from Yahoo....some of the crap is reminiscent of the good old days between Paul Brown and Art Modell.

Wow, that was a fascinating recap filled with plenty of stuff I'd never heard before. I'm still not sure I understand why Belichick felt so betrayed when Mangini accepted the Jets head coaching job...as any head coaching offer is a very rare thing...but I'd say Mangini just won their personal grudge match as completely and convincingly as he lost the opener against the Patriots.

It's a blowout.

I've been chewing this over as well...could it be because Belichick knew just how much info Mangini had on the Pats' illicit activities and that he wasn't really on-board with it? Thereby potentially exposing the Patriots' operation?

I agree the punishment wasn't severe enough & if it had been the Bengals they be much tougher.

I hope they are still investigating the depth of this because it appears this may just be the tip of the iceberg considering several things we've heard lately such as :

1-has already been mentioned here but what the extra equipment on the side line IIRC mics recording devises . Were they also recording the audibles @ the line ? if so then you also have players involved

2- Marvin & a coach of another team was talking when the other coach said they had thier headset go out @ foxboro & ML said the same thing happened when we went there?

3-Just how long has this been going on ? I'd be irrate if I was a colts fan!!

4- I know teams guard against teams stealing signals but how often do you change them up ? I'd imagine they might more so with Division rivials since you play them 2 times a year. Could they have some kind of database on all the teams?

Marvin also is on the competion comittee & was in favor of mics for the Def., which would really make it much more difficult to do & end such things from happening, anyhow from what I understand it failed because 2 teams voted against it wanna bet NE was one of the teams!!!

I have to come to conclude the Patriots have been cheating for awhile now and I have some proof. Just look at the coordinators that were under Belicheat and moved on to high profile coaching jobs. Romeo was the defensive guru for the Pats that speaheaded that awesome unstoppable D in New England. Romeo then took over the Stains as head coach and has scratched and clawed to win a handful of games in his time there. Now Big Bad Charlie Weis, he was who I thought was going to be the savior of my favorite college team at the Golden Dome. He came to Notre Came as this genius offensive coordinator with some innovative stuff that would keep the scoreboard operator busy. Weis' first two years with the Irish were above average, but still managed to lose 3 games each year eventhough he had the all world QB with Brady Quinn. Now, without Quinn and starting over, he has yet to coach his offense to *1* TD throughout the first 3 games of the year and has the lowest ranked offense in the entire division 1 ranks. I believe that ranking is out of 118 teams that includes such powerhouses as Florida Atlantic, Prarieview A&M, and Duke.

So how do two guys that were supposedly the very best coordinators at there respective positions at New England, fall on their faces so badly? Survey says....CHEATING! It's easy to look like a genius when you know what plays are coming. Ever try playing Madden and looking over your buddies shoulder at his plays and then calling yours? Guarentee you win more times than not (Unless you REALLY suck!). Not that I ever cheated at Madden like that, just giving an analogy. :sure:

I have to come to conclude the Patriots have been cheating for awhile now and I have some proof....

Actual proof may be coming...as well as additional punishment. On NFL Countdown Mort reminded everyone that even before punishing the Patriots Goodell first demanded they hand over all evidence related to the cheating scandal, including video, printed material, and notes. After reviewing the material Goodell will determine if additional penalties are justified. Goodell has demanded all material related to Patriot pregame scouting dating back to the 2000 season. Goodell was also said to have warned Robert Kraft that any tampering of the evidence...including destruction, alteration, or copying....would result in harsh sanctions.

On a related note, the Patriots defended their use of four radio frequencies, claiming it wasn't related to cheating and was linked to something called Patriots Interactive.

I have to come to conclude the Patriots have been cheating for awhile now and I have some proof....

Actual proof may be coming...as well as additional punishment. On NFL Countdown Mort reminded everyone that even before punishing the Patriots Goodell first demanded they hand over all evidence related to the cheating scandal, including video, printed material, and notes. After reviewing the material Goodell will determine if additional penalties are justified. Goodell has demanded all material related to Patriot pregame scouting dating back to the 2000 season. Goodell was also said to have warned Robert Kraft that any tampering of the evidence...including destruction, alteration, or copying....would result in harsh sanctions.

On a related note, the Patriots defended their use of four radio frequencies, claiming it wasn't related to cheating and was linked to something called Patriots Interactive.

Oh man...my sides hurt from laughing at that last sentence. I'd like to know exactly what frequencies these were. Around say the 450MHz range, (where you'll find many of your local Police Department Radios systems utilizing this band and likely operating encryted under Motorolas Astro P25 system) or up in the 800MHz band and getting close to your common cell phone range (which is 824MHz to 849MHz) and from there I could tell if it was something truly set up for fan "interactivity", or purely for spying, which I'm almost certain it was. Access to most radio frequencies is just not possible to the general public, and takes specially tuned radios to receive and transmit on them. Which, hence, makes them perfect for SPYING. Not some concocted BS called "Patriots Interactive".

I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories, but the following smacks of a blatant coverup.

NFL destroys 'all' materials from Pats spy scandal

Associated Press

Updated: September 21, 2007, 3:07 PM ET

NEW YORK -- The NFL has received and destroyed all materials it requested from the New England Patriots concerning videotaping of opponents' sidelines, and a league spokesman said the team was unlikely to face any further sanctions.

An NFL statement Thursday said the team was in compliance with a request for tapes and other documents.

"The Patriots have fully cooperated and complied with the requirements of the commissioner's decision," the statement said. "All tapes, documents and other records relating to this matter were turned over to the league office and destroyed, and the Patriots have certified in writing that no copies or other records exist.

"League policies on in-game videotaping and audio communication will continue to be closely monitored and strictly enforced with all 32 teams."

Last week, Patriots coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the team was fined $250,000 for violating a league rule that prohibits clubs from using a video camera on the sidelines for any purpose -- including recording signals relayed to opposing players on the field. New England also must forfeit a first-round draft pick next year if it makes the playoffs or a second- and third-rounder if it doesn't.

Asked if there could be additional penalties, NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told the Boston Herald: "I don't expect anything further."

A spokesman for the Patriots, Stacey James, said the team was satisfied the case was closed and was focused on Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills.

A video camera aimed at Jets coaches was confiscated from a Patriots employee during the first quarter of the team's 38-14 win Sept. 9 over the New York Jets. Jets' coach Eric Mangini has had a cool relationship with Belichick since leaving as Patriots defensive coordinator after the 2005 season.

When asked if the Patriots' defensive players also used microphones or other recording devices in their shoulder pads to pick up Jets audibles, Aiello said: "We have no evidence to support that claim."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

I wonder if any of the "journalists" who cover the NFL will ever ask Goodell why the evidence was all destroyed. Destroying evidence. It is mind boggling that they took this step. I guess there will be no second guessing this decision, since no one else gets to review the evidence. This comes on the heels of the NFL announcing that non-league owned media will have limited access to players and coaches. It's starting to look like the WWNFL.

I wish Howard Cossell were still alive so he could go berserk on Monday Night Football. He'd call this crap for what it is. Instead we'll get Madden on Sunday night babbling about how great Tom Brady is, how great his spirals are, blah blah blah. I can't stand it. Tom Brady, go launch a few more illegitimate kids with more dim-witted fashion models. Belicheck, go spoon with your boyfriend Jon Bon Jovi. Tedy Bruschi, go have a few more steroid and HGH induced strokes, then keep playing anyway because being a Patriot is so worth it. Laurence Maroney, go..., uh..., ok, just please don't hurt any of our DBs a week from Monday. God, how I hate the Patriots.

I wish Howard Cossell were still alive so he could go berserk on Monday Night Football. He'd call this crap for what it is. Instead we'll get Madden on Sunday night babbling about how great Tom Brady is, how great his spirals are, blah blah blah. I can't stand it. Tom Brady, go launch a few more illegitimate kids with more dim-witted fashion models. Belicheck, go spoon with your boyfriend Jon Bon Jovi. Tedy Bruschi, go have a few more steroid and HGH induced strokes, then keep playing anyway because being a Patriot is so worth it. Laurence Maroney, go..., uh..., ok, just please don't hurt any of our DBs a week from Monday. God, how I hate the Patriots.

October 1 is looking a lot like Goodell's favorite team vs. his least favorite team on national tv. Guess who's going to win :blowup2:

October 1 is looking a lot like Goodell's favorite team vs. his least favorite team on national tv. Guess who's going to win :blowup2:

No kidding. Maybe Vince McMahon will send over some of his favorite referees.

I'm not a big believer in conspiracy theories, but the following smacks of a blatant coverup.

And you were expecting something else?

It may still blow up in the league's face if some journalists get their teeth into it (remember, it's not the crime it's the coverup)...but the NFL wasn't about to sink itself.

Let's review.

Less than a week ago Roger Goodell claims that all Patriot pregame scouting material for all games dating back to...and including the 2000 season...will be reviewed for evidence of further cheating, and if found would lead to further punishment and sanctions.

Belichick is quoted on September 17th about his intent to soon comply with the NFL's demand. Those statements also make it clear that as of the 17th the material was being gathered, but had not yet been sent.

Three days later more than six years worth of evidence is reported destroyed, and an NFL spokesman announces that no further punishment should be expected.

Must have been one hell of a review, huh?

And it's kind of a shame that nobody in the media was allowed to see the evidence, ehh?

And it's sort of a pity no panel of retired coaches was able to view the evidence and judge whether additional cheating had occured or comment on it's potential value.

So who amongst us is still impresseed by Roger Goodell's campaign to clean up the NFL?

I'm just saying....

<_<

And you were expecting something else?

Actually, I was expecting something else. I was expecting a less blatant coverup.

Call me naive if you want, but I was expecting a whitewash and a stall job instead of news that all evidence had been destroyed almost immediately.

So who amongst us is still impresseed by Roger Goodell's campaign to clean up the NFL?

Was anyone ever impressed by it? Outside the tame media talking heads, of course. It was all about PR and marketing from the start...and with the latest twist in the Pats cheating saga continues to be so.

I told you a while back that GOD-el doesn't actually give a crap about the players he punishes. He is indifferent to their fate, it's not his problem. Well, guess, what, he isn't really concerned about the game either (something you've pointed out as part of your rant about steroids). It's all about image and keeping the $$$ flowing. And right now doing that requires burying this whole Pats mess deeper than the Earth's crust. I doubt it will work, coverups attract attention, but maybe GOD-el gets lucky.

Was anyone ever impressed by it? Outside the tame media talking heads, of course.

Well, there you go.

Goodell's actions just gave weight to every rumor written about the cheating scandal precisely because nothing claimed, no matter how ridiculous, can now be disproven. That said, it's just as true that with all evidence conveniently and needlessly destroyed nothing further can be proved, and I've always felt it was reasonable to assume there was enough evidence of further cheating to keep the cheating scandal in the news for months.

And sadly, I think Goodell has every reason to believe the coverup will work precisely due to how inept and lazy most sportswriters are. It's a profession of hacks who overwhelmingly rely on information they're spoon fed. And of course that spoon is held by the very people who just put a match to more than 6 years of accumulated evidence.

Bottom Line: The NFL just told the world that a dog ate their homework.