Patriots Videotaping "cheating" incident

mgilgris

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My read of the play-by-play shows that in the first quarter, the Bengals' D was moderately effective, and then the wheels came off. Explanations for that?

1. The Bengals' D was fully capable of sucking last year.

2. The Pats' O is damn good.

3. The Pats' coaches were better prepared.

Ordinarily, 1-3 would explain things satisfactorily.

But, now, we have a fourth option.

4. The Pats were able, after one quarter, to start to match up defensive calls with formation and call their offensive plays accordingly.

That possibility can no longer be dismissed as completely paranoid. Just partially paranoid. Remember, just because you think they are out to get you, doesn't mean that they aren't indeed actually out to get you.

My read of the play-by-play shows that in the first quarter, the Bengals' D was moderately effective, and then the wheels came off. Explanations for that?

1. The Bengals' D was fully capable of sucking last year.

2. The Pats' O is damn good.

3. The Pats' coaches were better prepared.

Ordinarily, 1-3 would explain things satisfactorily.

But, now, we have a fourth option.

4. The Pats were able, after one quarter, to start to match up defensive calls with formation and call their offensive plays accordingly.

That possibility can no longer be dismissed as completely paranoid. Just partially paranoid. Remember, just because you think they are out to get you, doesn't mean that they aren't indeed actually out to get you.

Perhaps, but if the Pats were stealing signals, my read is they were wasting their time. That loss was emblematic of last season. Gold-plated offense drives 60 yards on the opening drive...only to stall at the 22 and kick a FG. D holds the Pats on their opening drive. O gets the ball back, drives 50 yards...and stalls on the 27. FG again. Next Pats drive, D comes up with the big pick, sets the Bengals alleged mighty O up at midfield...and it's a 3-and-out.

Then the hammer drops, the Pats start scoring, and the Bengals offense finally administers the coup de grace to itself in the fourth by turning the ball over on its own 13.

This was the very first thing I thought when I heard this story break. Especially after Schlereth broke down how they could use the info they gained.

I remember that game very well, seeing as my entire extended family are Pats fans, and I remember telling them that we held our own for the first half, but that Belichick is the best coach in the game at making half-time adjustments. Well, now we know why. If he's been cheating to make the best possible adjustments, that explains a lot.

Here's my breakdown of that game:

1st quarter: It's interesting that the Pats were unable to score. We have a good 58 yard drive ending in a field goal, driving down field with relative ease. And we only had one 3rd down play in the drive before the missed one ending in a field goal. They have a stifled 37 yard drive ending in a punt. We have another 52 yard drive, with ease again, but again ending in a field goal. They have a twelve yard drive, and then turn it over on 3rd and long. End of quarter. Pats struggling...game looks to be dominated by Bengals.

2nd quarter: Pats start making adjustments with a 3 and out stop of the Bengals and then a nice long drive for a TD. Bengals get stopped quickly on every possession in the 2nd quarter. The Pats get a good ST punt return and drive for a TD with a short field. Pats starting to take over game. Score: 14-6

3rd quarter: Pats start with a good drive, but miss the field goal. Bengals O comes out gets a nice long pass which leaves them a short field to score, and they get a TD. Pats take 5 plays to score their own TD. Pats stop Bengals again giving up only one 1st down. Pats start another long drive to end the quarter. Pats dominating but gave up a big play.

4th quarter: Pats finish off drive with a field goal. Pats seem to know what's coming, pressure Palmer into a fumble, and Pats score TD with ease on short field. Bengals get ball again, have one play, and Pats again seem to know what's coming and pressure Palmer into another fumble. Pats score again on short field with ease. Bengals offense get only 18 yards and has to punt again. Pats eat up 4 min of clock, basically sealing the game 38-13.

I'm not saying we would have won that game, because the Pats are clearly a very talented team, but we might have had a shot, and at the very least, it could have been a closer game. Looking at it, it is striking that the Bengals had NO PROBLEM moving the ball in the 1st quarter, but progressively seemed to struggle more and more. Meanwhile, the Pats were unable to do anything in the 1st quarter, but magically turned it on, finding gaping holes in the Bengals D. This is nothing conclusive, but definitely makes me wonder.

Hoosier, don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying the Bengals should have won that game, but am now curious how much, if any, was due to the Pats' having an unfair advantage. What of that Bengals' three and out following Tory's INT? Good Pats D? Poor Bengals execution? Or, good Pats D assisted at that point by somehow having stolen the Bengals' radio signal (for that's also a murmur beneath the videotape stuff when you look at the reports on this). In response to your stuff above, the WHY of why did the gold-plated offense stumble and bog down becomes of renewed interest. Better play by the Pats? Better coaching? Or both those AND an improper assist from cheating? Hmmmm.

The Pats have been scarily good for years at having the right defenses called in big spots. And scarily good for years at having the right play called for Brady against certain defenses. I have always assumed that is a shout out to their outstanding coaches. Probably still is.

But, the cloud of suspicion has settled on them. IF they were stealing signals, or illegally using video to crack defensive signals, then the playing field in any one game, Bengals or otherwise, is remarkably unlevel. And hopping on the Bengals for poor execution or being outcoached in any such game would be rather unfair. Football is a s**tload easier if you know exactly what's coming, or to which side a defense will shift, or where the blitz will be. And if NE used these means to know that stuff, against the rules, and when no one else was doing so? That's huge.

The fact that Mangini knew of it enough to bust NE at it last Sunday means it was going on back when he was coaching there. So that's at least to 2005. I don't find any of that benign.

I doubt you'll find anything of note scanning the game log, but a second look at the game itself might be more interesting. Sadly, I don't save games.

As the Patriots have already been declared guilty by the overlords, and the story was onsidered big enough to be mentioned on network news broadcasts last night, you have to wonder what punishment will be considered appropriate. Most speculation has mentioned the loss of multiple draft picks, but it seems likely the Patriots could easily counter the loss of even an entire draft class by making a few moves in free agency.

In my opinion Goodell should use his preferred hammer, the suspension without pay, targeting the Patriots coaching staff. And considering the very serious nature of the cheating, and the fact that it's not the first time....start with an eight game suspension for the head coach...or even more if you prefer....and lesser suspensions for any coordinators involved.

n response to your stuff above, the WHY of why did the gold-plated offense stumble and bog down becomes of renewed interest. Better play by the Pats? Better coaching? Or both those AND an improper assist from cheating? Hmmmm.

I don't really have any doubt that the Pats were cheating. But given that this game followed the pattern of so many others last year, I have to think it didn't have a lot of impact.

Not necessarily disputing that. The Pats beat most teams head up, and yet, one would still like the playing field to be level.

And if it wasn't? The hammer should be hella severe from the league.

Ask yourself, why the f**kity f**k were the Pats doing this in that Packers game last year? The one they won 35-0 where the Packers threw that same guy out kicking and screaming?

Hubris upon hubris dry-humping hubris is all I can think. And it makes me mad. No need for it. Any of it.

The fact that Mangini knew of it enough to bust NE at it last Sunday means it was going on back when he was coaching there. So that's at least to 2005. I don't find any of that benign.

You could probably make a case for the same thing in 2004 game in Foxboro. However, I will add that Corey Dillon was on the team during that time period so I am sure that he could have provided the Bengals situational likes and dislikes to the Pats while he was there.

But the whole thing does cast a shadow over their run. Think about how soundly and often they beat the Colts during the last 5 years and how poorly Manning has looked against them in most of those games. It certainly adds fuel to the speculation.

man, by the time we get to play them, they will have heard it all.........

it might be old by that time.

TBQ, no, it won't.

The Pats' next two games are in Foxboro.

Their first road game post cheating-gate, will be the Monday niter in Cincy...

Go to it my brothers and sisters. Let your creative side flow...

Life time ban for the head coach.

That is the very least that Goodell would have to do .....

If he has any intention whatsoever of showing even the slightest bit of consistency and the resolve to be in line with the actions that he has taken against some players on other issues.

CHEATING DIRECTLY EFFECTS THE GAME in a much greater way than some player getting a DUI or whatever.

If the Commissioner doesn't take very strong action on this, his whole "protect the image of the league" policy becomes nothing more than a load of total bulls**t.

man, by the time we get to play them, they will have heard it all.........

it might be old by that time.

TBQ, no, it won't.

I'm sure you're right. The media will be all over l'il Bill. In fact, in recognition of both the Bengals' infamous string of arrests and the Patriots' newly revealed cheating, sources temm me that the upcoming MNF tilt between us and NE will not feature "All My Rowdy Friends" in the opener, but instead have a special one-game-only theme. :lol:

I know I'll have my camera ready for that one.

</a>

Everyone should bring a camera. If a local camera or photo development company had a brain they'd advertise a special promotion on that day.

e.g. Blockbuster Video will give you three free video rentals if you bring your video camera to the Pats game!!!!