Ravens@Bengals Game Thread

combatbengal

OK guys, it's game time. During the last preseason game, the def woke up a bit. They were making some tackles and stopped the run pretty good. Shane omatic was rested, and the off scored some TD's. Tonight, we'll see how they fare against the Ravens. I predict that this will be a close game. Maybe a shootout. Bengals by 3 points.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No I don't think it will be as close as you think. The Ravens offense is still bad and with a shaky oline I can see Mcnair hitting the turf a lot tonight. This is the game where Ahmad Brooks is finally unleashed and will be in the Ravens backfield a lot tonight. I also think that the Ravens D will hold Rudi to under 70 yards rushing but the Bengals will go up early because of some nice throws by Palmer. The Ravens have a lot of problems when playing the Bengals and tonight should be no different. I think crowd noise plays a big part, and getting off to a quick start will be a consistent theme like in seasons past. The Bengals know if they win this game next week is a cake walk and they should be 2-0 by the end of next weekend.

Bengals win 24-10, sorry Ravens fans I just don't see your offense being able to keep up with the Bengals.

Sure have been chewing this over long enough. For me, it comes down to this:

I think it's on the defense. Scary as that is. Last November, when they beat Baltimore, they only hung 13 on the board. Considering that the defenses are running a bit ahead of the offenses league-wide at the moment (last night's game in Dallas noted, but still), it doesn't seem likely to me that the Bengals can expect much more than 20 points, if that, tonight. So, to win, they best be better defensively than they have shown much of the pre-season.

Nervous as hell, I am.

How will we do? After what's happened since last Thursday night, I can honestly say that I haven't got a clue.

We all knew Indy would be good but when did NO turn to crap?

When did Buffalo become competitive with Denver (or is it the other way around)?

The Giants and Cowboys combine for 80 points? Why is either team paying any defensive player so much as a nickel?

Yeah, I thought the Jets were over-rated but my lord, Brady had enough time to write a novel in the pocket yesterday.

St. Louis was supposed to have an offense.

The Eagles were a chic Super Bowl pick, and they can't even get past the Packers?

I figured that KC would struggle...but not that much...

And did I really see Jon freakin' Kitna chew up an allegedly great D in Oakland?

So what's going to happen tonight? Your guess is as good as mine. This has been an absolutely crazy opening weekend.

OK guys, it's game time. During the last preseason game, the def woke up a bit. They were making some tackles and stopped the run pretty good. Shane omatic was rested, and the off scored some TD's. Tonight, we'll see how they fare against the Ravens. I predict that this will be a close game. Maybe a shootout. Bengals by 3 points.

I watched Minnesota last night and Leslie Frazier had that defense looking down right impressive. Still don't understand why Marvin was so quick to give that guy the heave ho but has continued to hold on to Chuck. The goal tonight will be to force McNair to beat us by throwing down the field; they have been raving about this Williams guys ability to stretch the field. I did get a laugh out of the following comment about Deltha Oneal from the Baltimore Sun.

Baltimore Sun:

Derrick Mason should get open against overrated cornerback Deltha O'Neal, and Todd Heap should have a big game against a weak Cincinnati linebacker group. The secondary could be weakened if cornerback Johnathan Joseph (questionable, foot) can't play. Right tackle Adam Terry could have trouble against end Robert Geathers, a strong pass rusher.

Prediction

The Ravens have been quietly focused all summer on this game and will come out with the same passionate performance they had in last season's opener in Tampa. Before a national television audience, this is a statement game for the Ravens. RAVENS, 24-13

I watched Minnesota last night and Leslie Frazier had that defense looking down right impressive. Still don't understand why Marvin was so quick to give that guy the heave ho but has continued to hold on to Chuck.

If Marvin has to fire one DC in 5 years, it's just a bad DC. If he has to fire 2 DCs in a couple of years...maybe it's the coach. I don't think he can afford to do it.

That and supposedly Chuck and he share the same (flawed?) philosophy as to how to run a defense.

Considering marvin arrived as a defensive genius, they haven't shown much imagination in the last couple of years.

Missing players and suspensions has certainly hurt, but at the moment we don't even seem to have the basics in place.

Here's hoping..

jon

Week 1 is always a bit of a crap shoot...

I actually believe that the Bengals offense when clicking is dominant enough to get past the Ravens D. "When clicking" is a pretty big statement, though, especially in week 1.

I wouldn't be surprised by anything tonight. Could be close, it could be a blowout in either direction. I've just got my fingers crossed and am hoping our team decides to show up tonight.

I watched Minnesota last night and Leslie Frazier had that defense looking down right impressive. Still don't understand why Marvin was so quick to give that guy the heave ho but has continued to hold on to Chuck. The goal tonight will be to force McNair to beat us by throwing down the field; they have been raving about this Williams guys ability to stretch the field. I did get a laugh out of the following comment about Deltha Oneal from the Baltimore Sun.

Baltimore Sun:

Derrick Mason should get open against overrated cornerback Deltha O'Neal, and Todd Heap should have a big game against a weak Cincinnati linebacker group. The secondary could be weakened if cornerback Johnathan Joseph (questionable, foot) can't play. Right tackle Adam Terry could have trouble against end Robert Geathers, a strong pass rusher.

Prediction

The Ravens have been quietly focused all summer on this game and will come out with the same passionate performance they had in last season's opener in Tampa. Before a national television audience, this is a statement game for the Ravens. RAVENS, 24-13

I know right, when was the last time you heard O'Neal described as being "over-rated", if he is over-rated no one on the Bengals staff buys into that.

Mason and O'Neal are both slowing down, it should be a good match up. Joseph can and will play. The tackles will have problems protecting McNair, that will be the difference.

The writer also fails to mention that the Bengals have been focused on this game as well and that we are playing on the road.

I actually believe that the Bengals offense when clicking is dominant enough to get past the Ravens D. "When clicking" is a pretty big statement, though, especially in week 1.

Ain't that the truth. I expect it will all come down to how the offensive line plays. If they play well, this is a very winnable game. If they play poorly, the Bengals will need a series of miracles to avoid a loss.

Defensively, I'm resigned to the probability that we will make Baltimore look like an offensive powerhouse. All I ask is a couple big plays -- a defensive score, a pick or FF that sets the O up with a short field, something like that.

And for special teams, my wish is: just don't screw up. I'm not asking for a big play, just no blocked kicks or punts. Don't allow any big returns. In short, just don't kill us.

Finally, to the whole squad: No. Stupid. Penalties. No late hits, taunting, false starts by the wide receivers, celebration penalties, etc. The team has enough problems without forking over free yards to the opposition.

How will we do? After what's happened since last Thursday night, I can honestly say that I haven't got a clue.

We all knew Indy would be good but when did NO turn to crap?

When did Buffalo become competitive with Denver (or is it the other way around)?

The Giants and Cowboys combine for 80 points? Why is either team paying any defensive player so much as a nickel?

Yeah, I thought the Jets were over-rated but my lord, Brady had enough time to write a novel in the pocket yesterday.

St. Louis was supposed to have an offense.

The Eagles were a chic Super Bowl pick, and they can't even get past the Packers?

I figured that KC would struggle...but not that much...

And did I really see Jon freakin' Kitna chew up an allegedly great D in Oakland?

So what's going to happen tonight? Your guess is as good as mine. This has been an absolutely crazy opening weekend.

There seems to be only one constant in the NFL from year to year... the Browns suck.

Im confused i thought Levi was about 100 percent and wanted to play tonight but i just heard that he isnt 100 percent and wont play tonight. They are really going to piss him off i hope he dosnt become a cancer in the locker room. Im not really understanding all of this but hope everything will work itself out.

Not sure what's up with Levi's situation - looked fine to me last week. Seems there's a different standard applied to Levi and Willie.

I feel a low scoring game coming on where the Bengals' defense wears out in the 2nd half, and their luck runs out eventually, unless they can go into half time with a 2 score lead. This is NOT the same Bengals' team as last year - on ST's and on the 0-line and at WR - they are worse than last year, have to factor that in. On defense, they are slightly better IMO.

I don't know what to expect from this team, Marvin's teams have always been inconsistent. When they play with emotion and come out hitting people and matching the other team's intensity, or lack thereof, they always do well, as they should. So, we "should" get that at least.

But I just don't sense that confidence from the Bengals' this year - Chad's 6 game TD-less streak is still intact, the 0-line seems unsure of itself, and the defense is a real gamble with a BIG question mark at MLB and CB with JJ being so limited.

Can only hope and pray they get a win tonight - ugly or not - I'll take it right now. Gotta win the home games this year with no exceptions, if they want to have any hope of a playoff birth.

Good luck to our beloved Bingals - just win the game please.

I feel very good going into the game... Doesn't matter about the D or the injurys...

I just have that feeling when Palmer is under center against the Ravens everything will turn out 'ok' as long as we don't shoot our self in the foot.

Bengals win... and win pretty.

The scoop from Geoff...Hall gets start in JJoe's place too...both JJoe and Levi will suit up and play...

Hall's first game is first start

By GEOFF HOBSON

September 10, 2007

Comments (0) | Post a Comment

Updated: 5:50 p.m.

After a preseason fraught with injury, the Bengals' regular starting lineup lacked only three players for Monday night's opener against the Ravens at Paul Brown Stadium with left tackle Andrew Whitworth getting the start in place of Levi Jones, rookie cornerback Leon Hall in place of Johnathan Joseph and Lemar Marshall in place of Rashad Jeanty at strong-side linebacker.

But Jones and Joseph were both dressed and Joseph figured to play when the Bengals are in their nickel package on passing downs. Jones, who had been rehabbing a surgically-repaired knee until three weeks ago, has been saying he's healthy so he could also be used.

Jeanty (leg) was on the inactive list along with two other players already declared out earlier in the week: Ethan Kilmer (knee), a defensive back, and defensive end Frostee Rucker (hamstring). Four rookies also took seats with center Dan Santucci, safety Marvin White, cornerback David Jones, and running back Clifton Dawson on the inactive list.

Jones and Dawson arrived only last week via the waiver wire. The deactivation of Santucci, reacquired last week from the Colts practice squad, was an indication they feel confident about starting center Eric Ghiaciuc. Ghiaciuc had missed the last two practices of the week with a neck problem.

Two perennial Pro Bowl tackles who missed virtually the entire preseason with injuries were in the starting lineup to begin their 12th seasons. Bengals right tackle Willie Anderson (foot) was poised to make his 113th straight start while the Ravens' Jonathan Ogden (toe) took his spot at left tackle on Baltimore's new-look offensive line.