Appalachian State Beats Michigan

HoosierCat

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week, I heard Michigan fans calling into the Lex and Terry show complaining that they should have been ranked at least at number 2, ahead of LSU. What a crock.

I thing that phone has suddenly stopped ringing. Any shot at the National Title just evaporated in the 1st game of the season!

Obviously, this win has gotten a ton of coverage. One comment I read, from Mandel over at SI, has, I think, implications for all NFL teams, but especially the Bengals:

But Saturday’s result did not transpire out of thin air. It was simply the most dramatic milestone to date in a movement that began nearly 20 years ago and has seen the dispersal of talent throughout the sport, from the rise of programs like Kansas State and Wisconsin to Northwestern’s improbable Rose Bowl run in 1995 (the same year the NCAA instituted the 85-scholarship lmit) to the likes of Louisville, Rutgers, Boise State and Utah becoming nationally competitive. Now, evidently, it extends to the upper realms of I-AA. This wasn’t Butler running some frustrating, slow-down offense to upset a Maryland in the NCAA basketball tournament. And it certainly wasn’t a case of Michigan fumbling eight times or some other freak occurrence. Appalachian State simply beat the Wolverines with some seriously talented athletes.

I can think of a half-dozen BCS conference teams off the top of my head -– Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina and Baylor –- that would be instantly better with Armanti Edwards as their quarterback or Dexter Jackson as a receiver, and there are probably far more than that. It’s still going to take the perfect confluence of events for a future I-AA team to beat a future Michigan, but it’s going to happen again sooner than later.

I think he's right -- and thats why a top-tier caliber scouting staff is going to be needed by any NFL squad that wants to find the best talent available -- and especially by a team like Cincy which vastly prefers the (cheaper) draft over the (expensive) free agency. Yah, we knew that already, but App State's win just puts an exclamation point on it.

I heard that Michigan is considering changing some of the lyrics to its fight song. I think the new lyrics are going to be somthing like this:

"Hail! to losing valiant

Hail! to the conquered heroes

Hail! Hail! to Michigan,

The chumpions of the West!

We jeer them again

We jeer and jeer again

For Michigan, we jeer for Michigan

We jeer with might and main

We jeer, jeer, jeer

With might and main we jeer!"

GO BUCKEYES!!!!

I enjoyed this more than one man should!!!!! :D

It seems everyone outside of the state of Michigan is reveling in it. The story is still dominating ESPN's telecasts!

They'll be talking about this for...well, a long time. Michigan might live it down by the end of the century...:lol:

Me, I can't stop trolling youtube for new vids, lotsa fun stuff. And I accidentally stumbled across an oldie (relatively speaking) but goodie...

I enjoyed this more than one man should!!!!! :D

It seems everyone outside of the state of Michigan is reveling in it. The story is still dominating ESPN's telecasts!

They'll be talking about this for...well, a long time. Michigan might live it down by the end of the century...:lol:

Me, I can't stop trolling youtube for new vids, lotsa fun stuff. And I accidentally stumbled across an oldie (relatively speaking) but goodie...

Domata Peko's TD Return. Sweet. I really hope to see it replayed over and over during his career as a Bengal!

Here's a lengthy vid -- 7 mins or so -- of the kids at App State after the win, set to a l'il classic AC/DC & Queen.

From the comments and responses under the video- "When I told some of the students, "You hillbillies did good!", they said,"We prefer Appalachian Americans!!" lol Good job guys..wished I could've seen the game! "

The next time somebody calls me a hillbilly, I am going to demand that they call me an Appalachian American.

From the comments and responses under the video- "When I told some of the students, "You hillbillies did good!", they said,"We prefer Appalachian Americans!!" lol Good job guys..wished I could've seen the game! "

The next time somebody calls me a hillbilly, I am going to demand that they call me an Appalachian American.

Lets keep it real and politically correct! :rolleyes: