Is USA basketball back?

Defender

I freely admit I know nothing about basketball, and my interest in this is pretty much relegated to patriotic nationalism, but I've been keeping an eye on the past couple of games and it appears that USA basketball may be back closer to the 1992 Olympics level (even I know there will never be another team like that, but they could be close). I'm appealing to those of you who know basketball better than I do, is this wishful thinking and they're still just average, or is this a return to dominance not seen for the last 10 yrs?

The team is certainly stronger now than it has been in the past few embarassing tournaments it's played in. The team is a little more stacked than in recent years.

That said, they're currently playing against weaker competition. We'll see how they stack up when the Olympics roll around.

I'm hoping they get back to steamrolling their way to the gold medal, but the days of an American Dream Team are long gone, I'm afraid. They still have the talent to be dominant, but the gap just isn't as large as before due to international teams becoming stronger just as much as it is the American team becoming slightly weaker.

• 2 weeks later...
The team is certainly stronger now than it has been in the past few embarassing tournaments it's played in. The team is a little more stacked than in recent years.

That said, they're currently playing against weaker competition. We'll see how they stack up when the Olympics roll around.

I'm hoping they get back to steamrolling their way to the gold medal, but the days of an American Dream Team are long gone, I'm afraid. They still have the talent to be dominant, but the gap just isn't as large as before due to international teams becoming stronger just as much as it is the American team becoming slightly weaker.

I'd like to add that LeBron James seems to be very intent on not letting the U.S. team fail again. His talent is just enormus!