Ndukwe turns heads

Variety

Ndukwe is making a lot of noise and drawing attention despite his vow of silence. Coach Marvin Lewis went out of his way yesterday to praise Ndukwe, a former Notre Dame defensive back.

"Every time we do something, you see Chinedum. He just keeps on impressing," Lewis said after the Black-Orange mock game.

Lewis' gushing was trumped only by defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan.

"Oh, he's fun to watch and is a guy who continually makes plays on the field," Bresnahan said. "He may limit a little bit in open space, but he's a hitter and has the most caused fumbles of anyone through the preseason. He's got a knack for it."

The early whisperings are that Ndukwe could become the defensive version of Bengals starting receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a late-round draft pick -- both went in the seventh round -- who not only makes the team but makes a huge impact.

Click link for full article:

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...=rss&cat=44

Ndukwe is making a lot of noise and drawing attention despite his vow of silence. Coach Marvin Lewis went out of his way yesterday to praise Ndukwe, a former Notre Dame defensive back.

"Every time we do something, you see Chinedum. He just keeps on impressing," Lewis said after the Black-Orange mock game.

Lewis' gushing was trumped only by defensive coordinator Chuck Bresnahan.

"Oh, he's fun to watch and is a guy who continually makes plays on the field," Bresnahan said. "He may limit a little bit in open space, but he's a hitter and has the most caused fumbles of anyone through the preseason. He's got a knack for it."

The early whisperings are that Ndukwe could become the defensive version of Bengals starting receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, a late-round draft pick -- both went in the seventh round -- who not only makes the team but makes a huge impact.

Click link for full article:

http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...=rss&cat=44

Good link Variety. I especially likes this quote:

So Ndukwe is not in awe of the NFL, including some of its stars.

"I'm way past pinching myself," he said. "I've been trying to compete every day, no matter who they are. No matter if it's Chad or if I'm running with the twos or threes. I want a job."

Damn good attitude, especially on the defense!

He has always been a hitter, its his awareness in open space in coverage situations that has hurt him in the past. Hopefully he can get past that. If I recall, I dont think he went to ND as a secondary player, I think he was switched. In the highlight reels I have seen of him, he always seems to tackle well and hit with a vengence.

I think its safe to say that ND hasnt been known for producing safeties the past couple of years so it could be one of those situations where he just needs the correct coaching.

Definitely like the attitude.

Not to be a downer, as I'd love to see a low-round guy do well, but this sounds much like a Rogers Beckett: limited in open space but a good hitter. I want to see him in action to see if his limitations are physical or experience based.

All I can say is that at least Tory James is gone. That man would not hit a guy to save his life.

Not to be a downer, as I'd love to see a low-round guy do well, but this sounds much like a Rogers Beckett

If he turns into a Beckett clone (minus the constant concussion problems, of course), I'll be thrilled. Beckett was a good player.

I will second that, he always seem to be a solid player when healthy.

Not to be a downer, as I'd love to see a low-round guy do well, but this sounds much like a Rogers Beckett

If he turns into a Beckett clone (minus the constant concussion problems, of course), I'll be thrilled. Beckett was a good player.

I will second that, he always seem to be a solid player when healthy.

hold up a sec.... Beckett was a barely average player. He was constantly out of position on 3rd down pass plays...granted, the CB crew at the time left a lot to be desired but he was part of the problem.

Describing Ndukwe as "limited in space" means he has a hard time with either the schemes or he lacks speed/awareness. When they say he makes plays and is a "big hitter", sounds like he will do well on Special Teams, or, don't look for him to be in on critical times on the D.

Let me just add that Beckett did hit well. If we all recall Ohalete tried to be a hitter who flew around but was, what I would generically describe as, "limited in space".

who knows. I have not seen anything yet. going by words is pretty silly at this point.

hold up a sec.... Beckett was a barely average player. He was constantly out of position on 3rd down pass plays

Early on in 2003, yes, he was, as he struggled to pick up the D, but he was improving noticeably as the year went on. Unfortunately, he never really got a chance to build on that in 2004 because of all the concussions; he only played in 5 or 6 games. There's no doubt he was never going to be a ballhawking, center field type, but he was becoming a very solid SS, IMHO.

I may not have been right about a whole lot on my draft site (which I've stopped, g/f is preggo!), but if any of the press is right about Chinedum, I at least got that one right.

http://forums.bengalszone.com/index.php?showtopic=14796

"Round 5: Chinedum Ndukwe - SS - Notre Dame

BDG is very high on Ndukwe and thinks he might be on the Bengals radar. Another player who with a little work could develop very nicely. Will thrive as a SS in the NFL."

well if this guy is so good mayb it was good we let kaseviharn go to new orleans

The let KK go because he was 31yrs old coming off a career year and the Saints ovepaid for his services.

Chinny may be good who knows .. he's a banger that seems to be around the ball .. His coverage skills are weak at this point.... special teamer for now.

well if this guy is so good mayb it was good we let kaseviharn go to new orleans

Yep...maybe it was 711. From tonights Steeler/Saints game:

Ben Roethlisberger was sharp in his only series, completing two of his three throws for 73 yards to Cedrick Wilson. On a 55-yard play, Wilson got behind safety Kevin Kaesviharn, then he beat New Orleans' top cornerback, Mike McKenzie, on an 18-yard crossing pattern.

I may not have been right about a whole lot on my draft site (which I've stopped, g/f is preggo!)

Don't worry, soon you'll have hours of sleepless a.m. time in which to do a draft site! :sure:

Anyhow, congrats!

She's 14 weeks this week, still pretty early. She should be showin' soon though. Thanks for the congrats!

Well When you have Jjoe,hall and O'neal covering the main people should be okay if he doesn't have the best coverage skills but I could have swore his cover skills have been getting praised since he came here.

See, that's a really good point - with crappy corner play last year, we basically needed two safeties playing center field. Now, if we have decent corners, who you can maybe trust to hold single coverage once in a while, you might have the luxury of playing a safety who might not be the best coverage guy on the planet, but who can knock the bejeezus out of guys.

The question is, can he at least cover better than Ohellimtoast?

The let KK go because he was 31yrs old coming off a career year and the Saints ovepaid for his services.

Chinny may be good who knows .. he's a banger that seems to be around the ball .. His coverage skills are weak at this point.... special teamer for now.

Completely agree about KK and Chinny - special teamer at best. Hard to say at this point if he'll ever be anything more than that.

Completely agree about KK and Chinny - special teamer at best. Hard to say at this point if he'll ever be anything more than that.

Special teamer *for now* does not mean special teamer *at best*.

If he hits like a truck, give the guy a chance to get coached up while he has fun blowing up the wedge on kickoffs.

Also, on cut day I give the benefit of the doubt to any guy whose natural nickname is "Doooookie!" Just think of the possibilities.

If he hits like a truck, give the guy a chance to get coached up while he has fun blowing up the wedge on kickoffs.

Also, on cut day I give the benefit of the doubt to any guy whose natural nickname is "Doooookie!" Just think of the possibilities.

If this guy becomes a starter, his nickname would more than likely be "the Duke".

If this guy becomes a starter, his nickname would more than likely be "the Duke".

See, that's not half as funny. ;)

just like Virgil Carter, Dookie is a truly smart football player. that gives us Oneal, Dookie, and Williams in the secondary who each have more than football brains. i am not sure about Williams having a degree but i figure if he is hosting wine events for charity he has to atleast know how to string a sentence together.

i am all for brains and brawn in the secondary.

the chin seems to be a hitter... pass coverage may bring back memories of Ohalete..

White needs to catch up on pro schemes.. I think he may be stupid to some extent..

repetition repetition repetition.... for Mr. white till it sinks in....

I like Busing and Kilmer for than these two right now.