26th pick the Bengals Pick Perry, Chris

jbengals1

OVERVIEW

Two-year starter who excelled both on and off the field for the Wolverines … The 2001 John F. Maulbetsch Award winner as a freshman (given to the player who demonstrates desire, character, capacity for leadership and future success on and off the gridiron), he gained 4,364 all-purpose yards during his career, topped only by Tyrone Wheatley (5,358, 1991-94), Anthony Carter (5,799, 1979-82) and Jamie Morris (6,201, 1984-87) on the school's all-time list … Hails from the same prep school as Tennessee Titans tailback Eddie George, spending the 1999 season at Fork Union Military Academy before joining the Wolverines in 2000 … Backed up All-American Anthony Thomas his first two years with Michigan before taking over the starting duties in 2002 … Only the seventh player in school annals to rush for over 1,000 yards in a season twice in a career … Started 28 of 47 games, carrying 811 times for 3,696 yards (4.6 avg.) and 39 touchdowns … His 811 rushing attempts broke the old school career record of 809 by Morris and only Wheatley (47) had more touchdowns rushing in Wolverines history … His 3,696 yards rank fourth on Michigan's all-time record list behind Butch Woolfolk (3,861, 1978-81), Wheatley (4,178) and Morris (4,393) … The 2003 Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player Award winner also gained 572 yards with a pair of scores on 66 receptions (8.7 avg.) and 96 yards on five kickoff returns (19.2 avg.) … Rushed for over 100 yards 14 times during his career … Only Woolfolk (16), Morris (18) and Wheatley (20) had more 100-yard performances for the Wolverines … Ran for over 150 yards in five contests, the seventh-best figure in school annals … In 2003, he became the first Michigan player to rush for over 200 yards twice in a season since Tim Biakabutuka accomplished that feat in 1995.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a big frame with a thick chest, broad shoulders, muscular arms, small waist, thick thighs and slender but defined calves … Compliant in the weight room and does what it takes to improve … Tough competitor who shows burst and explosion coming out of his stance … Quick off the snap and has above average lateral agility … Sees the holes and anticipates the rush seam very well … Has the speed to get outside and turn on the afterburners heading up field … Has good open field acceleration and adequate elusiveness as a runner working in space … Shows good ball security when he stays low in his pads … Runs good pass routes and can pluck the ball, whether as a receiver or on pitch-backs and options … Has good flexibility and change of direction agility.

Negatives: Despite his size, he is not a power back, preferring to bounce to the outside rather than break tackles inside (lacks the leg drive to move the piles) … Does not run through wrap-up tackles and needs to improve his body lean … Has the speed to take the ball outside, but it could be better if he squares up … Has good acceleration, but has to build up his speed rather than generate a quick second gear … Needs to look the ball in sooner as a receiver … Not a fumbler, but when he gets high in his pads, he exposes the ball a bit … Shows little urgency or intent when asked to block (cut and roll type in the open).

AGILITY TESTS

4.55 in the 40-yard dash … Bench presses 225 pounds 19 times … 31 3/8-inch arm length … 10¼-inch hands.

PREP SCHOOL

Attended Fork Union (Va.) Military Academy in 1999 to improve his academic standing … Played football for coach Mickey Sullivan.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Advence (N.C.) High … Three-year starter who finished his career with 4,678 yards on 439 carries and scored 71 touchdowns … Hauled in 17 passes for 216 yards and three touchdowns during his career … Led the team to the state championship his senior year, tallying 2,757 rushing yards on 284 carries and scored 42 touchdowns … Rushed for 200 or more yards in six games … Gained 377 yards and scored five times in the state championship game as a senior … Averaged 100 yards per game (84 attempts for 850 rushing yards) and scored 18 times as a junior … Gained 1,116 rushing yards on 91 carries and scored 12 times as a sophomore … SuperPrep All-American and four-star prospect and nation's No. 13 running back according to Rivals100.com … Selected as the No. 14 running back nationally according to Max Emfinger's Blue Chips Magazine and rated as No. 6 running back in Atlantic region according to PrepStar … Listed as the No. 3 player in Virginia and No. 18 running back in the country by SuperPrep … Ranked No. 29 player in the Mid-Atlantic Coast region by Prep Football Report … Picked the No. 2 player in Virginia by the Charlottesville Daily Progress … First-team all-state and all-conference selection as a junior and senior … Earned all-conference and second-team all-state honors as a sophomore … Four-year letterman and three-year starter in basketball … Averaged 15 points and eight rebounds at small forward as a senior … Also lettered in track (110-meter hurdles).

PERSONAL

Enrolled in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts … Attended 1999 Michigan Summer Football Camp … Born Raymond Christopher Perry on Dec. 27, 1981 … Resides in Advence, N.C.

Yeah, I'm in shock! :o

But I just realized how little bargaining power Rudi now has. He has no choice now but to sign the one year tender and it can only be good to have two good backs with an established pecking order.

The great D players we wanted were gone, so why not. Let's see who the extra fourth rounder brings before we judge this one. :(

perry is great with the pass so with a palmer in there that might not be to bad when palmer gets in trouble to dish it to him. and we can get 2nd round defence now cause good players are still there. so i dont know much about perry but hes our guy now so u got to love him and i hope he does great.

I'm not shocked with a running back...I would have preferedjones from VT, but it'll do wonders for our young QB to have a RB that can catch the ball when the blitz is on...I;m just glad they didn't get Gamble

I like the pick a lot. Rudi Johnson is still are number 1 guy, but it never hurts to have 2 running backs and Chris Perry is the best big back in the draft. He's got better hands than Rudi and he runs in a similar style.

I'm an Ohio State fan, so I would have liked Gamble, but this works well, since Gamble was a 2-3 year project. We've got 10 picks left to go defense, we've got plenty of time to address those needs. Perry's ready to step in right now and get a quarter of the carries or so, don't be surprised if we see them both in the backfield at times as well.

We definitely needed to draft at another position with that first pick. But I like the draft philosophy Marvin Lewis sticks with, which is draft whoever you have rated highest on your board. If you reach on a pick out of need to fulfill a position, you may be s**t out of luck.

Moving down and getting an extra 4th plus getting Chris Perry is a good deal in my opinion. I am a Michigan fan, so I know what Perry can do. Chris Perry is a FOOTBALL PLAYER. There is no other back in the draft that can do all the things that he brings to the table. He can do it all. So having a versatile back is a plus. Catching passes out of the back field, half back screens, etc. Chris Perry will put Bennet to shame..... and Bennet had a decent year last year. Match that with Carson Palmer's ability to throw on the run, it could be deadly. I think the O is gonna be nice.........a nice change of pace between Rudi and Perry.

Just my two cents.

Sorry Big Hugg, but Steven Jackson was the best running back in the draft..

and we passed up on him..

But Chris, is the drop off that much between Jackson and Perry? Especially when you factor in the 4th round pick that the team got as well?

i dunno about the pick....but the more i think about it, i guess it makes sense

Coach Lewis was serious about selecting the BPA

Chris Perry was on the North squad....I wonder if he actually practiced at all.....

What makes me sick is that Udeze AND Wilfork were there at 17....

What makes me sick is that Udeze AND Wilfork were there at 17....

Yeah, I noticed that too...But That fills only 1 need, but doing the deals that the team did will hopefully fill several other needs as well (it already helped at corner)

I'm in the minority, but I like the pick. What I like even more than the pick itself was trading down two spaces and getting an extra fourth round pick. Even though Marvin's been around for over a year now, I'm still not use to the Bengals showing some draft savvy. While it is nice to get some high caliber talent during the first round, the core of any team is built around 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. And that's what Marvin and the Bengals have a lot of this year. Even if Perry wasn't the best running back available, he was a very close second or third and getting the extra pick offsets taking the second running back instead of the first. Also, I like the idea of giving Rudi a little competition -- hopefully it will bring out the best in him and in Perry. Another thing is that with this pick out of the way, the next several picks can go to the defense. Offense is built in the first round (see Detroit's picks); defense is built in the 2nd round and beyond. I'm not a fan of taking defensive guys in the first round unless they are tremendous, game-changing defenders. By the time Cincy was on the clock, there were some good, even great, defenders available, but not really any that'd fall into that elite category. Anyways, the rest of the draft will be interesting... but we won't know how good of a draft it is until a year or two from now.

Sorry Big Hugg, but Steven Jackson was the best running back in the draft..

and we passed up on him..

But Chris, is the drop off that much between Jackson and Perry? Especially when you factor in the 4th round pick that the team got as well?

Yes, tremendous drop off.... most powerful running back in the draft, that blocks well, and catches better than perry , and we let him go for a

4th rounder..? total waste..

I'm a niners fan but I will start rooting for Cincinatti because I'm a huge Michigan fan and Chris Perry is one of my favorite players

So as long as Perry plays for them: go bengals!