This weekend

jjakq27

Just curious to know if anyone is planning on going.

This isn't exactly scientific but it always seems that if the defense plays well in the scrimmage, they seem to have a good year. When the offense dominates, it seems like the D isn't very good that year. Hopefully the D will play well.

A friend and I just decided to come down this weekend. For those of you that have attended these before, which would you suggest going to? The intrasquad scrimmage on Friday or the Black and Orange game on Satruday?

Also, are video cameras aloud?

I usually go to both, but the Friday night one always feels like a bit more fun. Lot's of wolfing between the D and the O, plenty of warm-up ahead of time, good vibe in the crowd. If you can only pick one, I'd go to that one...

Here's my quick impressions from being there last night:

1. Carson and Chad are freakishly locked in. Their completions on that first drive were absolutely unfair to the DBs. If they have taken their game to THAT level, then the team will be very good this year. I suspect, given Carson's health this offseason, and the work he put in with the WRs, we are in for a treat.

2. The defensive line did a great job getting penetration up the middle. Peko was a huge factor in the backfield. It's a double edged sword in a scrimmage (what happened to allow that penetration), but all things being equal, I was glad to see it.

3. Caleb Miller had a great night. Surprised me too, but he was everywhere and made some sticks.

4. Leon Hall is indeed physical as hell. Quick reads, right on top of receivers, and puts them down with certainty when he gets there.

5. I mentioned Irons in another thread, but his speed and decisiveness stood out. He's going to be a big factor this season.

I will be back at the mock game today, and then headed back to Memphis.

peace, y'all.

Here's my quick impressions from being there last night:

1. Carson and Chad are freakishly locked in. Their completions on that first drive were absolutely unfair to the DBs. If they have taken their game to THAT level, then the team will be very good this year. I suspect, given Carson's health this offseason, and the work he put in with the WRs, we are in for a treat.

2. The defensive line did a great job getting penetration up the middle. Peko was a huge factor in the backfield. It's a double edged sword in a scrimmage (what happened to allow that penetration), but all things being equal, I was glad to see it.

1. Dave Lapham mentioned that last year Carson was focused on rehab with the goal of just being able to make the first game. He said this offseason he has been able to focus strictly on conditioning for a 16 game season, hinting that Carson may have faded a bit down the stretch.

Also I think Marvin's comments about last year being the "book tour" were aimed at Chad and I think he realizes that the only way to keep getting attention is to play two or three games past the end of the season. I think last year was a learning experience for a lot of people and hopefully Chad will benefit the most.

I agree that I am anxiously waiting to see how well these two will play this year. :drool:

2. I was glad to see the defense play well also. Yeah it is only a scrimmage but it shows me that they are able to make plays against one of the better offenses in the league. I think they held their own. If our offense scores like we think it should this defense will make a difference. A couple more three-and -outs could be the difference between 8-8 and 10-6.