Thurman in trouble again

CarsonCity

Can anyone explain to me why we are caring about Odell's situation while training camp with the guys who will win games and get into the playoffs are sweating their svelte a$$es off?

He's not part of the Bengal picture. Time to move on.

Unfortunately, the "guys who will win games and get into the playoffs " are the same guys from a defense ranked in the bottom 3 last year - guys can get healthier, mature, even have career years - but the NFL is still a league that requires contenders to have elite talent, and Odell is one of the very few in the Bengal's defensive front 7 with that capability.

What's done is done............we'll have to get along without him, but we will be a poorer defense without him. It's actually kind of amazin' that we expect to compete without any help from the 1st 3 picks in '05 - this should have been Pollack's, Thurman's, & Henry's year.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I"ll start out by saying Odell has put himself in this situation & an idiot for doing so . I'll never understand how these guy's can piss away so much $$$ with drugs, entourages and such but that's neither here nor there.

The thing I find odd was lack of an explanation & the timing on why he wasn't reinstated maybe they have their reasons ( HIPPA law) I don't know but I don't see what the use would be in cutting him would be at this point, the damage/embarrassment has already been done hell the denial was overshadowed by the Vick thing. Even if his appeal is denied which is very likely if he can keep his s**t together next year I believe it would be considered the second year of his contract so they'd have him for two more years? It's not like he's a 30 year old player . If he screws up again the dude won't ever see the field again & if he doesn't & another team picks him up when they ( media) talk about him they'll just spin it his trouble was while with the Bengals anyways so what's the point in cutting him now?

Personally, I think the Bengals are handling it the right way giving him a little tough love. While they distance themselves to the media I'm sure Marvin (you know he 's not going to give the media anything) & the team have been in touch & supporting him. The game & the Bengals will go on with or with out him hopefully he understands that now.

Shula you may have a hard time with this but for those who see's the glass half full , picture the Bengals winning another SB next year & ESPN interveiwing Odell with him thanking the Bengals for having his back & helping him to put his demons (come on we all have em) behind him now THATS a story. Don't think it can happen look at Josh Hamilton for the Reds!

The denial of reinstatement came out early on the 26th -- the first stories started popping up just minutes after 9 am. That suggests the decision was made at least the day before, if not earlier. Per the pdf of the complaint against Thurman (linked on the Enquirer site) the complaint wasn't issued until sometime on the 26th, the arrest warrant issued on the 27th and, of course, no one appeared to notice until today. So, did Goodell know this when he made the call? Possible, but I would think, probably not.

That said, it certainly doesn't help his case. However, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result of some kind of clerical/juristictional snafu. I'm sure Odell has been reporting to someone in GA all offseason. I'm sure we'll see.

You're assuming that Goodell has no better sources of information than you or me. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they were keeping a closer eye on Odell than we all thought, and that he did in fact know about Odell missing parole. Otherwise the timing is impeccable.

My guess? The league knew he had his parole review coming on the 24th and were waiting to issue a ruling based on the outcome. They probably started checking with the Bengals - or maybe inside sources - to get an advance view of how it went. They found out that Odell didn't go, making their decision extremely easy.

I think it's too coincidental that Goodell makes a seemingly harsh decision, then information comes out that supports it. I think he knew.

So Goodell's judgement is still largely sound, and he has good sources. I have to say, I'm back on his bandwagon simply because I fear his wrath.

I'M SORRY I DOUBTED YOU!!!!!! :lol:

Go ahead blast me guys, but this isn't a big deal. Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there must be a reason why he missed the meeting with the probation officer? Could it be that the spelling is all screwed up on the document and Odell had no clue that he had a meeting? He's been all over the damn place this month, he was in NY for a drug test suposedly before the Commish denied reinstatement, and I'm sure he's been back and forth from GA and Cincy alot this last month. If he knew about the meeting, you better believe that he would've been there... This is freaking retarded guys. Lets wait to see what happens with the appeal, this has nothing to do with the guidelines set for in the substance abuse policy.

Just let the man play football JESUS CHRRRRRRIST!!! He's not finished and I know that once he's back on the field all of this will go away. Please lord, let Odell play football this year :sucks:

If he knew about the meeting, you better believe that he would've been there...

You mean like the drug test he blew off that triggered his suspension? Sorry, heard this sob story too many times. You can bet that if for some reason, I had to keep track of certain meetings to keep my job, I'LL DO IT. I'll HIRE someone to do it if I have to. This simply smacks of an utter lack of personal responsibility.

He can go to Canada and see if they'll put up with his dumb ass.

Go ahead blast me guys, but this isn't a big deal. Why hasn't anyone mentioned that there must be a reason why he missed the meeting with the probation officer? Could it be that the spelling is all screwed up on the document and Odell had no clue that he had a meeting? He's been all over the damn place this month, he was in NY for a drug test suposedly before the Commish denied reinstatement, and I'm sure he's been back and forth from GA and Cincy alot this last month. If he knew about the meeting, you better believe that he would've been there... This is freaking retarded guys. Lets wait to see what happens with the appeal, this has nothing to do with the guidelines set for in the substance abuse policy.

Just let the man play football JESUS CHRRRRRRIST!!! He's not finished and I know that once he's back on the field all of this will go away. Please lord, let Odell play football this year :sucks:

I'm not worried - you've already informed us all (multiple times to assure us less capable thinkers) that he will be a starter this year, so clearly, that's what will happen

F*cking moron. I mean good god. Now what the hell am I going to do with this Thurman jersey?

I think you can go to a sporting goods store and have the name and number changed. I'm not positive about this though.

I'll trade ya for my Peter Warrick Jersey that I bought the year before we let him go.

I'm not worried - you've already informed us all (multiple times to assure us less capable thinkers) that he will be a starter this year, so clearly, that's what will happen

If Goodell would've let him play, he would've been the starter. Period!

If Goodell would've let him play, he would've been the starter. Period!

And if pigs had wings they could fly, what's your point?

The points simple; Odell's is the best LB that the Bengals have and I'm not giving up on him... If you haven't noticed, I've been saying all off season that Odell would be the starter come game 1. I was wrong by default, Tjacks rubbing it in.

You mean like the drug test he blew off that triggered his suspension? Sorry, heard this sob story too many times. You can bet that if for some reason, I had to keep track of certain meetings to keep my job, I'LL DO IT. I'll HIRE someone to do it if I have to. This simply smacks of an utter lack of personal responsibility.

How do I know you'll do it or have someone do it. The only people that know you'll do it or won't do it, is the ones closest to you. This entire topic has speculation written all over it. People act as if football players are so much different from you and I. News flash they're not, they eat the same food we do and breath the same air we do. Everyone says "if I was in their situation I wouldn't do the things they do to incriminate themselves." The truth is if your raised a certain way your going to live that way until you change your ways.

Are you saying once a dumbass always a dumbass? I hate how people just start bashing players because the media blows everything out of proportion. I have nearly stop watching the news altogether just for the simple fact the truth is so out of wack by the time the story is finished that I don't know what to believe. When the media gets a story it's like playing a game of telephone and the story is screwed up by the time it gets to the second person.

This topic makes me want to :puke:

How do I know you'll do it or have someone do it. The only people that know you'll do it or won't do it, is the ones closest to you. This entire topic has speculation written all over it. People act as if football players are so much different from you and I. News flash they're not, they eat the same food we do and breath the same air we do. Everyone says "if I was in their situation I wouldn't do the things they do to incriminate themselves." The truth is if your raised a certain way your going to live that way until you change your ways.

Are you saying once a dumbass always a dumbass? I hate how people just start bashing players because the media blows everything out of proportion. I have nearly stop watching the news altogether just for the simple fact the truth is so out of wack by the time the story is finished that I don't know what to believe. When the media gets a story it's like playing a game of telephone and the story is screwed up by the time it gets to the second person.

This topic makes me want to :puke:

Thank you, If only I could write as good. I feel the exact same way... Lets let the truth come out, I know it'll probably be a miracle now, but Odell should be out there at camp.

My brother lives in GA, he's a big time dawgs fan. We were talking about this the other day and he was telling me how Odell has been smoked out since he was at Athens and he was big time f**k up but they looked the other way and let it slide because he was a great college player, well it seems that came back to bite him in arse.

Part of the problem is that these guys have been coddled and treated as if they are above the law for a long time and now there is a new sherrif in town who isn't taking any sh!t and they don't know how to respond. There whole life they have been given special treatment because they excelled in sports, now when they get to the highest level they are being told to discpline themselves or else.

If you really want to do something to clean up the bad behavior you have to start on the high school and college level, discpline these guys at 14,15, & 16, so if they are lucky enough to make it too the NFL they know what is expected of them.

The denial of reinstatement came out early on the 26th -- the first stories started popping up just minutes after 9 am. That suggests the decision was made at least the day before, if not earlier. Per the pdf of the complaint against Thurman (linked on the Enquirer site) the complaint wasn't issued until sometime on the 26th, the arrest warrant issued on the 27th and, of course, no one appeared to notice until today. So, did Goodell know this when he made the call? Possible, but I would think, probably not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but communication by telephone is pretty darn efficient. In fact, I think there was only a 3 second time lag for calls made to or from the moon.

Correct me if I'm wrong but communication by telephone is pretty darn efficient. In fact, I think there was only a 3 second time lag for calls made to or from the moon.

Maybe Odell ran out of prepaid card minutes?

Let's say he did honestly forget to call in...

I have to say, should my child be unfortunate enough to get himself/herself into legal trouble, AND THEN 'forget to call in' to a probation officer, well that would never fly in my house. Once my child is under that legal umbrella, his/her top priority will be to dot the i's and cross the t's ... no excuses. Failure to do so would would make me begin to question the size of the critical mass within his skull. If true, I don't get it ... and I too do not forgive it. If not true, then it's a completely different story.

Maybe Odell ran out of prepaid card minutes?

It wasn't Odell that I was considering. I'm suggesting that Goddell, or one of his minion, had probably spoken to the probabtion officer previously and asked to be informed if Thurman failed to comply in any manner. When Thurman missed the appointment it's pretty easy to imagine a scenario where the probabtion officer calls the offices of the NFL even before beginning his official paperwork.

Or how about this one...

Goodell: Hi, this is Roger Goodell. I'm the Grand High-and-Mighty Poobah of the NFL and I'm about to rule whether Odell Thurman can resume playing in the NFL. So here I am doing my due diligence, dotting the I's and crossing the T's...so to speak, and as you're his probabtion officer I was wondering what you might be able to say about the matter.

Officer: Well, funny you should mention that. Just this morning.....

I happen to regard forgetting to call your probation officer as a pretty major thing, myself.

Regardless, even if you think it's just a minor detail, it's simply another indication that the guy hasn't learned his lesson. For whatever reason, he's still not taking this thing as seriously as he should.

I think Odell is a simple guy who wants to play football and enjoy life, unfortnately he's not handling his business like a grown man and his business is handling him.

Apparently, Odell doesn't need a coach - he needs a baby-sitter. of course, it seems to have worked for Josh Hamilton :rolleyes:

I think Odell is a simple guy who wants to play football and enjoy life, unfortnately he's not handling his business like a grown man and his business is handling him.

Apparently, Odell doesn't need a coach - he needs a baby-sitter. of course, it seems to have worked for Josh Hamilton :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I would say he needs some type of life coach or counselling but he has to intiate the process and I doubt that he's mature enough to do something like that. It's kinda sad that someone so talented would let his personal life destroy his professional career.