King Must Be Kidding

TippCityRick

First he finds it alarming that Chris Henry gets to practice with the team in the preseason and play in games unlike Mr. Jones in Tennesee. Well Peter, since presumably Mr. Henry will be joining the team later this year how else would you presume he learn the offense and how else would the Bengals be able to determine if he is a viable option for the team this year? Mr. Henry will play football this year unlike Mr. Jones.

Then he is "mind-boggled" (his word, however I believe he's always "mind" something) that the Bengals have been 8-8 three of Carson's four years. Well lets look back shall we . . .

Rookie year he plays behind the comeback player of the year and one of your favorites Mr. Jon Kitna who leads them to an 8-8 finish. Second year is his first behind center and he leads them to 8-8 - not bad for a first year starter. Third year he leads the team to 11-5 and the playoffs where he suffers a devistating knee injury. Still a GREAT year!! Fourth year he makes a miraculous recovery from said injury and due to some meltdowns on defense (San Diego) and special teams (Denver and Pittsburgh) the team ends with a dissapointing 8-8 finish and out of the playoffs. Overall I would think that Carson has more than held up his end of the bargain.

Lastly he believes that Bennis Brazell will replace Chris Henry for the first 8 games. I do hope that the coaching staffs of our opposition pay a great amount of attention to Mr. King so they never see Tab running past their db's and scoring the TD's that Chris has enjoyed in the past. Yes, I'm looking for great things from no. 88 this year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...card/index.html

Where's Peter

Postcards From Camp

Cincinnati Bengals

Georgetown, Ky.| July 30, 2007

More Postcards From Camp

Carson Palmer took his merry band of high-profile receivers to SoCal last month for some pre-camp polishing.

Dan Beineke/WireImage.com

In Georgetown, Ky., a stone's throw from Lexington, the central part of the state, and in the middle of horse country. Great setup for the Bengals here. Four excellent practice fields, a nice, small college stadium and condo-type dormitories 200 yards from the main field. Slightly more comfy than when I covered the Bengals for the Cincinnati Enquirer at Wilmington (Ohio) College in 1984. Back then, I spent many an oppressively humid night in the non-air conditioned dorms in the middle of corn country.

Five Things I Think

1. I think it certainly is odd to see Chris Henry practicing with the team, considering that Pacman Jones was not allowed by the NFL to practice with the Tennessee Titans. Jones has a year-long suspension, Henry eight games; but Henry will practice with the team until the real games start. That's a definite bug in the player-discipline system.

2. I think there is no cause for alarm in Carson Palmer missing practice Monday morning at camp. Palmer and coach Marvin Lewis have a deal worked out whereby on some of the days that Lewis schedules two practices, Palmer weight-trains hard and practices only once. "There's nothing wrong with getting your other quarterbacks a lot of work with the first team," Lewis said. In this case, backup Doug Johnson got the majority of work with the first-stringers, and it is not likely you will ever confuse him for Palmer.

3. Speaking of Palmer, I think all the reports I've seen and heard are that he's had a phenomenally accurate camp so far. His knee has been pain-free. "No issues with the knee whatsoever," Palmer told me Monday. "I was able to do all the normal stuff in the offseason, in terms of throwing and working out that I would do in any normal offseason."

4. I think we should all be a little mind-boggled the Bengals have had such a great player as Palmer on their team for the last four years, and yet, they've finished 8-8 in three of the seasons.

5. I think if you are looking for an impact rookie who will be ready to play opening day on the Bengals, you're looking at smooth-as-silk cornerback Leon Hall, the top pick from Michigan. Watching him cover on the practice field this morning, I thought I was looking at a fifth-year pro, not a rookie in his fifth pro practice. He looks confident and will compete with Deltha O'Neal for the starting job, opposite last year's first-round pick, Johnathan Joseph. Joseph is out with a foot injury right now, but the Bengals expect him to be ready to start the season.

Did You Know?

Rookie cornerback Leon Hall (Michigan) has already displayed the vit, vigor, talent and composure of an experienced NFL veteran.

AP

Palmer and four of his receivers spent two weeks in July working out together at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Palmer invited all his receivers to come to Southern California for some pre-camp polishing, and they are all raving about starting camp in late-August form, instead of mid-July form.

Insider Fantasy Tip

Heading into your draft, you're going to be asking: "Who's going to replace Henry as Palmer's deep threat this season?" While the Bengals definitely have not made up their minds, one guy you should watch in preseason games is former LSU track man Bennie Brazell. Unlike many sprinters trying to make a mark in football, Brazell has above-average hands and has shown the ability to take a hit and come back for more. He would do wonders as a much-needed burst of speed, and Palmer would love to fit that kind of guy into the receiving rotation.

On the Menu

The Bengals are one of few teams that don't allow the media to eat at their training table. That's perfectly fine. It gave me the chance to grade the cheeseburger at Dairy Queen in Georgetown on Monday. A dry patty, too much mustard, a thin tomato slice and a piece of cheese only about half-melted. Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? Grade: D.

Camp Confidential

I caught a lot of flak in Monday Morning Quarterback a couple of weeks ago for making the Bengals a middle-of-the-pack team in my preseason NFL ratings. I doubt I'm going to change my mind after seeing them in person. I think the offense will be explosive because Palmer will be Palmer and, obviously, he's got plenty of weapons. But I just don't see a defense that is markedly better in any area than the unit that let them down so much last year.

I think acquiring an impact player in free agency or trade (someone like Joey Porter, for instance) would have been a huge lift to this team, but there was appreciable help forthcoming in free agency. Leon Hall will help a cornerback-needy secondary, but the front seven needed an infusion of talent and fire. And it never came. Without that addition, I think the Bengals are a lot closer to 8-8 than to 12-4.

"I just don't see a defense that is markedly better in any area than the unit that let them down so much last year." God this guy must be on drugs or retarded, have you looked at the defense this year Mr. King? I know you were there in person, but were you watching or were you at DQ eating all thos greasy burgers. This guy is such a prick and Bengal hater. Lets see, first we got rid of Tory James so I would say that is a major upgrade from last years unit. We got Deltha back 100% heathy, added Leon Hall who will be the third cb, picked up Kendrick Allen who is an upgrade over Fat ass Sam Adams, picked up Michael Myers, got rid of Brian Simmons who was awful last season, Geathers will get more playing time and should have another good season. Hopefully Justin Smith puts it all together this year. The Bengals D doesn't have to be in the top 10, but if they are somewhere in the middle between 15-20 they will not go 8-8 this season again. I honestly think King should not be allowed to go to the Bengals practices again because he still holds a grudge about the Bengals.

"I just don't see a defense that is markedly better in any area than the unit that let them down so much last year." God this guy must be on drugs or retarded, have you looked at the defense this year Mr. King? I know you were there in person, but were you watching or were you at DQ eating all thos greasy burgers. This guy is such a prick and Bengal hater. Lets see, first we got rid of Tory James so I would say that is a major upgrade from last years unit. We got Deltha back 100% heathy, added Leon Hall who will be the third cb, picked up Kendrick Allen who is an upgrade over Fat ass Sam Adams, picked up Michael Myers, got rid of Brian Simmons who was awful last season, Geathers will get more playing time and should have another good season. Hopefully Justin Smith puts it all together this year. The Bengals D doesn't have to be in the top 10, but if they are somewhere in the middle between 15-20 they will not go 8-8 this season again. I honestly think King should not be allowed to go to the Bengals practices again because he still holds a grudge about the Bengals.

Complain all you want, but until the Bengals put up a consistent, respectible effort, they're going to be dissed by the likes of King. The names on D haven't changed. Those people we released were basically replaced 1:1 with other mediocre players. Our hope lies in the dramatic improvement of our young guys, which as fans we KNOW is "sure thing". But I don't expect Peter King to know that. All I see on D are "ifs". The potential is there, but they just haven't done enough to earn national respect.

Complain all you want, but until the Bengals put up a consistent, respectible effort, they're going to be dissed by the likes of King. The names on D haven't changed. Those people we released were basically replaced 1:1 with other mediocre players. Our hope lies in the dramatic improvement of our young guys, which as fans we KNOW is "sure thing". But I don't expect Peter King to know that. All I see on D are "ifs". The potential is there, but they just haven't done enough to earn national respect.

Yep, the problem is still Mike Brown and the way he allocates cap dollars and runs his team ultimately. If you can't win with a top 5 QB - then you are doing something very, very wrong in other areas consistently. I guess we'll see if 2005 was "squirrel finds a nut" or what they are really capable of doing with some decent luck.

"4. I think we should all be a little mind-boggled the Bengals have had such a great player as Palmer on their team for the last four years, and yet, they've finished 8-8 in three of the seasons."

I see this as a blatant slam on Marvin. Memo to Marvin: Please start letting Peter King eat with the team. It obviously means something to him.

More Peter King tidbits.

"At 11:36 p.m. Sunday, driving from the Lexington airport to my motel near the Bengals' training camp in Georgetown, Ky., I got stopped for speeding. "Do you know why I stopped you?'' a very polite Georgetown officer said. I said no. "I clocked you going 52 in a 35 zone. We take our speeding very serious here.'' I told him that was good, and I was sorry. He gave me a warning, asked what my business was in town, and told me to have a great time at Bengals camp. I should have asked him: "Hey, there are lots of police jobs in New Jersey. How about coming east to practice that kind of foreign civility?''

Who amongst us thinks that absolutely no Bengal player or coach would get off with a verbal warning if clocked at 17 mph over the speed limit?

More Peter King tidbits.

"At 11:36 p.m. Sunday, driving from the Lexington airport to my motel near the Bengals' training camp in Georgetown, Ky., I got stopped for speeding. "Do you know why I stopped you?'' a very polite Georgetown officer said. I said no. "I clocked you going 52 in a 35 zone. We take our speeding very serious here.'' I told him that was good, and I was sorry. He gave me a warning, asked what my business was in town, and told me to have a great time at Bengals camp. I should have asked him: "Hey, there are lots of police jobs in New Jersey. How about coming east to practice that kind of foreign civility?''

Who amongst us thinks that absolutely no Bengal player or coach would get off with a verbal warning if clocked at 17 mph over the speed limit?

Commissioner Goodell's office announced this morning a year long suspension for Peter King due to his warning for excessive speeding in Georgetown, KY. Mr. King will be tested up to 10 times a month for caffene overload and will no be allowed to obtain or imbibe any lattes over this term.

"4. I think we should all be a little mind-boggled the Bengals have had such a great player as Palmer on their team for the last four years, and yet, they've finished 8-8 in three of the seasons."

I see this as a blatant slam on Marvin. Memo to Marvin: Please start letting Peter King eat with the team. It obviously means something to him.

That is the key..doesn't Peter King look like a walking mascot for Montgomery Inn. Couldn't you just picture him with an apple in his mouth roasting over a open fire turning clockwise on a spicket?

Not I. IMHO it would most likely result in handcuffs being applied to offending speeder, and an instantaneous "Bengals Alert" light suddenly illuminating on Roger Goodalls desk at NFL headquarters.

23191101.jpg

That is the key..doesn't Peter King look like a walking mascot for Montgomery Inn. Couldn't you just picture him with an apple in his mouth roasting over a open fire turning clockwise on a spicket?

You're right, Peter is King. Of the all-you-can-eat buffet at Sizzler. Attention Bengal organization: Shove some saturated fat and salt down this guys hole pronto or we're going to end up dead last in SI's NFL preview issue.

We were 3 plays, 2 bad calls away from being 10-6 with one of the toughest schedules in the league with all the problems. Now, we are set up with an easier schedule (based on last years). That alone could be the difference, not to mention the knee, arrests, lack of linebackers, weak secondary, no change of pace back...all upgraded this year. Does this guy even know what nfl stands for?

That's a great image, thanks. Actually, I think he and Len Pastabelly are brothers separated at birth or something.

Not I. IMHO it would most likely result in handcuffs being applied to offending speeder, and an instantaneous "Bengals Alert" light suddenly illuminating on Roger Goodalls desk at NFL headquarters.

23191101.jpg

That is the coolest picture I believe I have seen on here!!!

I can't believe anyone would take Peter King serious... Most fans should be able to see thru his crap...

Come game time they'll all try to jump on our wagon...

:rolleyes:

23191101.jpg]That is the coolest picture I believe I have seen on here!!!

Mr. Wedge, even though I posted this image, I'm of the opinion you need to visit this site more often. I, and many other members before me, have done far better than this. ;)