Steinbach eager to face Bengals

From The Dayton Daily News.

Steinbach eager to face Bengals

By Sean McClelland

Staff Writer

Monday, July 30, 2007

BEREA — Eric Steinbach says he carries no grudge against his former team, the Cincinnati Bengals, and can't imagine they would for him.

But that doesn't mean he isn't anxious to line up against them. He won't have long to think about it. The Bengals visit Cleveland in Week 2.

"Can't wait," he said after Sunday's workout ended his first weekend of training camp with his new team. "I'll be circling that game on the calendar. That'll be a fun game."

Steinbach signed a seven-year, $49.5 million contract ($17 million guaranteed) with the Browns in the offseason and fits like a glove at left guard, alongside first-round draft pick Joe Thomas, the likely left tackle.

Free agency was Steinbach's chance to cash in after four years in the league, and he took advantage of it. But the Bengals did not exactly mount a big push to keep him, so who broke up with whom?

Does it matter? Steinbach only laughs when the subject is brought up.

"As a player whose contract is up, you've got to realize that teams are going to make their moves, and if you're not a part of the formula, you've got to move on," he said. "I don't think there's any rhyme or reason (for the Bengals' turning a cold shoulder).

"Every team is run differently. I had fun playing in Cincinnati, but after last season, I was ready for change, and here's the change. Obviously, it worked out well for me. I'm excited to be here."

The 6-foot-6, 290-pound Steinbach is known as an athletic lineman who excels at pulling and trapping but sometimes gets blown up at the point of attack. The negative aspect of that scouting report has been emphasized lately by the Bengals as they audition bulkier candidates for Steinbach's position.

"That's the only material they've got, so that's what they're going to say," Steinbach said, smiling. "That's the only thing they can dig up, that I'm a lighter lineman.

"I'm not losing too much sleep over it."

Now now...don't start blasting Steinbach just because he's gone. I don't remember hearing that much criticism when he was still with the team.

He was a very good player. I was sad to see him go...

True but I know there were more than a few of us muttering under our breath at his whiff on Kimo. And in the NE game in 2004 on Seymour. Throw in a DUI and it makes you wonder if we should have been more critical.

Now now...don't start blasting Steinbach just because he's gone. I don't remember hearing that much criticism when he was still with the team.

True but I know there were more than a few of us muttering under our breath at his whiff on Kimo. And in the NE game in 2004 on Seymour. Throw in a DUI and it makes you wonder if we should have been more critical.

Exactly. It's not like the criticism is new stuff that was made up to make the FA loss of the player more tolerable. It's fair stuff that speaks to one of the few weaknesses in Steinbach's game. In short, he's a very good player who occasionaly gets overwhelmed in ways that should be embarrassing to any NFL player....let alone one who considers himself worthy of pro bowl consideration.

As for who left who, the Bengals knew what it would take to keep Steinbach and apparently didn't give it a second thought....so the fact that Steinbach found another team more desperate, and thereby more willing to overpay, doesn't count for much. After all, who knew Steinbach's strengths and weaknesses better than the Bengals? What team was in the best position to judge his character and his dedication to the team?

Finally, Steinbach can crow about how well things worked out for him, but it's obvious that he's basing his satisfaction almost entirely on how well he's being paid. So let's wait and see what he says after the losses pile up. Let's see what he says after the Browns switch back and forth between struggling quarterbacks. Let's see what he says after Romeo gets fired, and the Browns start over again.

Bottom Line: Takeo Spikes used to brag to his ex-Bengal teammates about becoming a Buffalo Bill.

I said the same thing :P last year when everyone was worried about losing him as a FA,He's a solid guard but highly overrated great puller but got owned by bigger stronger Dlinemen.

so steiny can't wait to get embarassed lol bengals will roll in that game 34 -3. stieny is a clown now there for a enemy no love for players that are with the browns screw him . he better be more concerned about a staph infection then playing the bengals.

Backed-up toilets can be a nuisance too.

• 1 month later...

I to was sad to see Steinbach go, but it is a business and the Bengals had other things in mind outside of paying Stienbuck $7 mil oer season. On the other hand, he's not a Bengal anymore and any negative comments made by him in the direction of our team, I hope are force fed back to him by our defense. His love of money must be greater than his love of winning. How else can you look at it ??

WHODEY !!!

you keep saying that but i stood i was saying the same thing in 2006 when he was still playing for us.

He's a solid linemen but he still leaves much to be desired in a guard.

you keep saying that but i stood i was saying the same thing in 2006 when he was still playing for us.

He's a solid linemen but he still leaves much to be desired in a guard.

He is probably one of the best pulling guards around and the Bengals used that successfully with him but on the flipside I have two names that stand out in my mind when I think of Steiny. Richard Seymour and Kimo VonOllhofen.

Well tomarrow Stieny get to face what he's been so eager about. From looking at the results of last weeks Browns/Steelers game, (a butt load of sacks on the Charlie Frye) he didn't do diddly squat to deserve that huge payday. No hate, just fact. I expect more of the same for Eric on Sunday! :bengal: