I’ve heard enough of the NFL bashing

BZBot

Stop holding the NFL responsible for players actions.

Source: http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=538

It's the NFL that claims that it can, and will, be responsible for the players' off-field actions. I have no problem at all with the concept that the NFL cannot control players when they leave the complex. However, the league has to be concerned with the image that all its players are thugs. Down that path leads to people turning off the game and doing something else -- ala the NBA. When Goodell steps up and says he's going to do something about these problems by disciplining players, the public reasonably thinks that means just that. When he does something sometimes, and doesn't do something other times, people get confused. Hell, I'm confused and I love the NFL.

Stop holding the NFL responsible for players actions.

Source: http://www.bengalszone.com/article.php?sid=538

It's the NFL that claims that it can, and will, be responsible for the players' off-field actions. I have no problem at all with the concept that the NFL cannot control players when they leave the complex. However, the league has to be concerned with the image that all its players are thugs. Down that path leads to people turning off the game and doing something else -- ala the NBA. When Goodell steps up and says he's going to do something about these problems by disciplining players, the public reasonably thinks that means just that. When he does something sometimes, and doesn't do something other times, people get confused. Hell, I'm confused and I love the NFL.

The problem is that these guys are high profile. Hell, even the guys who are barely on the practice squads are Insert Team player, insert name when they screw up. They are under a microscope, and thus, they get reported on. Does every DUI get put into the paper? Nope, but every NFL DUI does. It makes it look like the NFL players are disproportionately involved in stupid s**t.

I blame the media. They sensationalize everything. I can see reporting a starter/high profile guy as being a member of a team, but when was the last time you saw "McDonalds Fry Cook, Joe Blow, was arrested today for domestic violence."?

media sensationalism is just another term for propaganda. it creates interest just enough so that the viewer sticks around to watch the advertisements. you are led to believe in the dire importance of insert team, insert players domestic violence so you know exactly which brand of dust-off to buy in order to clean your tv set well.

media sensationalism is just another term for propaganda. it creates interest just enough so that the viewer sticks around to watch the advertisements. you are led to believe in the dire importance of insert team, insert players domestic violence so you know exactly which brand of dust-off to buy in order to clean your tv set well.

On the flip side, media sensationalism drives up revenues and profits that also allows more and more coverage and games to be televised that was unheard of 15 years ago.

On the flip side, media sensationalism drives up revenues and profits that also allows more and more coverage and games to be televised that was unheard of 15 years ago.

Sorry, but I can hardly stand to watch the "news" any more. They blow things way out of proportion, and it isn't about truth in reporting any more, it is about hype, sensationalism, and telling stories. There's as much fiction/speculation in news now as there is research and truth.

Sorry, but I can hardly stand to watch the "news" any more. They blow things way out of proportion, and it isn't about truth in reporting any more, it is about hype, sensationalism, and telling stories. There's as much fiction/speculation in news now as there is research and truth.

ESPN News is a good sporting news channel. I would also caution though, that ESPN never claims to be a news source. They are, by the title in their name, an entertainment channel. If you're talking overall news, like non-sporting current events, well, you're not alone on that front... at all.

The media reports what people want to hear. They don't report about anonymous people getting arrested (absent some sensational aspect of it) because people don't care about that. They report about celebrities and sports personalities because people pay attention to that. The media has no agenda other than to sell commercial time. Thus, if people get fed up of a certain type of story and choose not to watch any more --- that will get the point across. I would suggest you vote with your feet, with a large dose of understanding that enough people have to do the same before something will change. Personally, while I don't watch American Idol, I still get treated to their manufactured "stars" being force fed to my radio and tv. I choose not to consume that particular brand of crap, but I don't expect it to go away because everybody's mother in law is addicted to it. Whaddayagonna do?