Gaither to Ravens, Oliver to SD

per pft...

POSTED 1:59 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007

RAVENS GATHER GAITHER

A league source tell us that the Baltimore Ravens have selected former Maryland tackle Jared Gaither in round five of the supplemental draft.

No other players are expected to be selected.

POSTED 1:47 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007

CHARGERS TAKE OLIVER

A league source tells us that the San Diego Chargers have selected cornerback Paul Oliver in round four of the supplemental draft.

The process is now in round five.

Stay tuned.

Shoot, I would have offered a 4th for Gaither...

From PFT earlier today...

The word on Gaither is that he's immature, and that he doesn't fully appreciate his physical gifts. He lost his academic eligibility because he hated school. And given that teams didn't have time to do their due diligence, teams will be less willing to take a chance on him.

Sound like anyone familiar? He could be another version of Chad Johnson (his school habits being the opposite of his playing abilities), but the fact that indications are that he could be a "bad guy", this is the last guy the Bengals need to take, even for a 7th.

Sound like anyone familiar?

Yeah -- me. By my third year of college I was heartily sick of classrooms, too. Nor was I exactly a model of maturity. But I've seen no indication that Gaither had any legal run-ins, drug issues, or any of that. At worst you threw a day 2 pick (when you're looking at having a bunch of extra picks anyhow) at another Askew; if he grows up a bit you may get a pro bowl o-lineman cheap.

Sound like anyone familiar?

Yeah -- me. By my third year of college I was heartily sick of classrooms, too. Nor was I exactly a model of maturity. But I've seen no indication that Gaither had any legal run-ins, drug issues, or any of that. At worst you threw a day 2 pick (when you're looking at having a bunch of extra picks anyhow) at another Askew; if he grows up a bit you may get a pro bowl o-lineman cheap.

Fair enough. Let's say Terrell Owens is available for a 4th rounder. He's had no drug or legal problems in his career, but his maturity has been known to be questioned a time or two. Would you do the deal? Granted, that's a rather drastic comparison, but his lack of maturity has torn locker rooms apart. If this guy is as he's been described, I wouldn't want him screwing up my team's chemistry, even as an undrafted free agent.

Fair enough. Let's say Terrell Owens is available for a 4th rounder. He's had no drug or legal problems in his career,

Well, there was that whole bizarre ODing on pills thing...

but his maturity has been known to be questioned a time or two. Would you do the deal? Granted, that's a rather drastic comparison, but his lack of maturity has torn locker rooms apart. If this guy is as he's been described, I wouldn't want him screwing up my team's chemistry, even as an undrafted free agent.

I think you're reaching here. Diva wideouts are a dime a dozen. How many diva tackles do you see? And you are reading a lot into one line from PFT, not exactly an unimpeachable source.

As for Owens, probably not, but that has more to do with the Bengal's stable of WRs (why would we need Owens when we have Chad?), his age, and the increasing availability of good wideouts on day two of the draft. OTOH, how many potential starting LTs do you find in round 4?

per pft...

POSTED 1:59 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007

RAVENS GATHER GAITHER

A league source tell us that the Baltimore Ravens have selected former Maryland tackle Jared Gaither in round five of the supplemental draft.

No other players are expected to be selected.

POSTED 1:47 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007

CHARGERS TAKE OLIVER

A league source tells us that the San Diego Chargers have selected cornerback Paul Oliver in round four of the supplemental draft.

The process is now in round five.

Stay tuned.

What for? We don't need an offensive lineman.

Are you quite sure? Versus last season, the line has lost Braham and Steinbach, and filled their spots on the roster with a center rejected by even the Cardinals and a late-round prospect from Notre Dame. Levi still hasn't made it back onto the practice field following multiple knee surgeries. Willie Anderson, gawd bless 'em, is 10,362 years old and will be playing through a foot injury by, oh, about game two. And Stacey Andrews is an unrestricted free agent next year, and the market for free agent guards has climbed far beyond what the Bengals will spend. O-line is a definite area of need for this team.

Are you quite sure? Versus last season, the line has lost Braham and Steinbach, and filled their spots on the roster with a center rejected by even the Cardinals and a late-round prospect from Notre Dame. Levi still hasn't made it back onto the practice field following multiple knee surgeries. Willie Anderson, gawd bless 'em, is 10,362 years old and will be playing through a foot injury by, oh, about game two. And Stacey Andrews is an unrestricted free agent next year, and the market for free agent guards has climbed far beyond what the Bengals will spend. O-line is a definite area of need for this team.

We have a pretty full pipeline. Steinbach won't be missed because we drafted his replacement last season. Bluto can get the job done at center, and proved he could replace Braham last year. Stepanovich is a backup, who apparently made Wilkerson disposable. Levi will be back, and Big Willie will stick around until he's 90, or the Bengals win a Super Bowl for him, whichever comes first! Big Willie has played through injuries year after year, and gotten the job done. We will have plenty of picks next year to get more depths, and shouldn't go after a two time loser when we can get a better player in the normal draft next year.

We have a pretty full pipeline. Steinbach won't be missed because we drafted his replacement last season. Bluto can get the job done at center, and proved he could replace Braham last year. Stepanovich is a backup, who apparently made Wilkerson disposable. Levi will be back, and Big Willie will stick around until he's 90, or the Bengals win a Super Bowl for him, whichever comes first! Big Willie has played through injuries year after year, and gotten the job done. We will have plenty of picks next year to get more depths, and shouldn't go after a two time loser when we can get a better player in the normal draft next year.

Whitworth is a tackle, not a guard, and specifically not the kind of pulling guard the Bengals love. I have him ticketed for Willie's spot in the none-too-distant future. Willie has played through injuries before, but it's becoming tougher and tougher. last year, remember, he had to come out in the first half of the Indy game (in his place they put in Stacey, who didn't look good). Step is only here on a 1-year deal, and you will find plenty of people (including me) who think the jury is still out on Bluto. As for Levi, we'll see. I certainly hope he makes it back.

But we do actually appear to agree they need to look at o-line in the draft; you just don't like Gaither. Well, fair enough, but I have a sinking feeling the Ravens just got a huge bargain.