Milt Stegall

CJ.

• 4 months later...

Just thougt I'd bump this thread, as today likely is Milt Stegall's last game as a pro.

I know most of you view the CFL as a second string league and in alot of ways it is. But in Canada it's bigger then any football league, including the NFL.

Stegall is playing in the Grey Cup (CFL's Superbowl) this afternoon in front of a sold out stadium of 60 000 fans.

The guy is a legend in Canada. He's had a street named after him, been given the key to the city, been given awards previously only given to the likes of Mother Terasa. Not to mention numerous scholarships in his name. In Winnipeg, where he plays he's on the side of buses, on billboards all across the downtown. He has lineups of people waiting to get his autograph. And this is in a city of 750 000 people. He's an icon in Winnipeg and across Canada, plain and simple.

So if any of you want to see a former Bengal and Miami Alumni play his last game as a pro, see if the Grey Cup is being shown in your local listings. It's on at 6:00 your time I believe.

And if anyone wants to see some video of the guy play, I believe it's posted at the beginning of the thread.

There's an interview with him on TSN broadband if anyone's interested. http://tsn.ca/cfl/ And just scroll to the bottom where they have the videos.

And here's his blog. http://www.winnipegfreepress2.com/blogs/stegall/index.php

I know the majority of you don't care. But for the few that do, this is your last chance to see Stegall play.

Im not going to bash Stegall for his accomplishments in Canada..

Fact is that its like saying a player had a great baseball career in AAA ball..

It means nothing except in Canada.

Or it's like saying that a short QB best known for one lucky throw and running around like a Jack Russell terrier with ADD could become the best player in the history of the CFL, yet be a failure in the NFL. ;)

Some -- including a majority of Baseball purists and historians -- would argue that Josh Gibson is the homerun king of all-time. Not Babe Ruth. Not Hank Aaron. Not Barry Bonds -- though no one would admit Bonds anyway.

But hey, that's why they have the "FOOTBALL" Hall of Fame. Not the NFL Hall of Fame -- no such thing exists. Great football is great football. Who cares what league it is?

No kidding Kirkendall, I completely agree.

And damiancasey, your bang on about the humor comment. The guy is hilarious. His slogan this year was "there's only 6 guarantees in life, death, taxes, trouble and Milt Stegall always being pretty in the face and thin in the waist, Milt Stegall being on time and Milt Stegall being in tip top shape".

He lost the Grey Cup though, just an hour or two ago. I feel for the guy cause he's been playing in the league for 13 years and has no ring to show for it. This year almost surely was his swan song.

this is amazing, Have you people ever seen a CFL game?? probably not. Most of you would never admit that there might be more than one football league worth watching out there...

as for Milt, i've been watching him for awhile and he's seriously the real deal. I don't know how they got him but he would have been a star in the NFL no doubt eventually if he had the chance. Just watch the miracle at Commonwealth, 100 yard td to win the game in the dying seconds i mean c'mon can't diss him. he can do s**t no one else can.

I would imagine that NFL scouts know of "these" teams in the CFL. And I'm sure if there was anyone up there worth bringing across the border it would have been done. They probably would cost less American Dollars than signing a free agent already in the NFL or a draft pick. It would be a cheap way to go, I'm surprised Mike Brown hasn't outfitted the squad this way. Not to be demeaning, but guys up there are probably hungry for an NFL contract and will sign cheaper just to get their foot in the door. Once they prove themselves in the NFL.....more money will come. More than likely the CFL picks up discards from the NFL (as long as they are in good standing.....ie not suspended from the NFL) One name comes to mind.........Akili Smith to Calgary? How's he doing?

again....please don't see this post as me being a b!tch. You are right, we don't view the CFL as just as important as the NFL....If I lived in Canada, I'm sure I would've grown up backing my local team with my dad.....just as I have the Bengals. Just like there should never be a SuperBowl played in London. Yeah, it is a novelty over there and will surely will sell out....but come on!

So it is not forgotten in all this, check out the quarterback on the other team, one Kerry Joseph

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c.../ajn4114189.htm

Name sound familiar? if you've been following the Bengals at least 10 years, and closely, it might.....

Try this, check the very last item: http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...59/1022/RSS0302

"there's only 6 guarantees in life, death, taxes, trouble and Milt Stegall always being pretty in the face and thin in the waist, Milt Stegall being on time and Milt Stegall being in tip top shape".

This reminds me of that movie "The Replacements" and the character played by Orlando Jones, Clifford Franklin. I'll replace his name with Stegall's...

"The ball is like a cold to Milt Stegall. Milt Stegall is the only one catching it. Milt Stegall is the only one coming down with it"

WHODEY !!!

No kidding Kirkendall, I completely agree.

And damiancasey, your bang on about the humor comment. The guy is hilarious. His slogan this year was "there's only 6 guarantees in life, death, taxes, trouble and Milt Stegall always being pretty in the face and thin in the waist, Milt Stegall being on time and Milt Stegall being in tip top shape".

He lost the Grey Cup though, just an hour or two ago. I feel for the guy cause he's been playing in the league for 13 years and has no ring to show for it. This year almost surely was his swan song.

Hilarious! Now that you mention it - I do remember that what of his favorite things to do was to walk out into the dorm hallway with his shirt off and yell, "I want everyone to have a look at this fine specimin of physical fitness!"

He never drank either - not a drop

• 9 months later...

Just thought I'd bump this for those interested.

Milt Stegall decided to come back this year. And he broke Allen Pitt's All-Time Receiving yardage record last night. He tied the record with a TD, and then broke the record with a 92 yard TD. His only two catches of the game. Talk about doing it in style!

Here's the highlights for those interested.

http://tsn.ca/cfl/

Click on the video in the top right "Highlights, Winnipeg 39, Toronto 9"

Entertaining game to be sure.

Just FYI, Bill, the CFL has been around longer then the NFL. And it's style and version of Football was the first in North America.

Just cause it ain't the NFL doesn't make it bush league football.

If you call this bush league football, then I don't know what to tell you.

And I didn't post this cause it's CFL related I posted this cause it's Milt Stegall related. And he happens to be a former Bengal and Miami alumni. So pull that stick out of your ass and stop bashing something and someone you know nothing about.

:lol::lol::lol:

Seems Chris Berman cared Billy. Stegall got some recognition on MNF although with horrible film quality, (not sure why as the CFL broadcasts in HD and all that).

You might be interested in knowing, Berman is a huge Stegall booster, flying up to Canada in June to see him.

As for the talent argument. Different players fit different leagues. Charles Roberts is one of the greatest college RB's, plays up here in Canada and is electrifying. At 5.6 and 170 he was deemed to small for the CFL.

And it's not like NFL players don't try their trade in Canada. Ricky Williams comes to mind, people predicted he would run for 2000 even 3000 yards. He barely got by 500. And the list goes on and on of failed NFL players.

Different leagues fit different talents Billy.

:lol::lol::lol:

Seems Chris Berman cared Billy. Stegall got some recognition on MNF although with horrible film quality, (not sure why as the CFL broadcasts in HD and all that).

You might be interested in knowing, Berman is a huge Stegall booster, flying up to Canada in June to see him.

As for the talent argument. Different players fit different leagues. Charles Roberts is one of the greatest college RB's, plays up here in Canada and is electrifying. At 5.6 and 170 he was deemed to small for the CFL.

And it's not like NFL players don't try their trade in Canada. Ricky Williams comes to mind, people predicted he would run for 2000 even 3000 yards. He barely got by 500. And the list goes on and on of failed NFL players.

Different leagues fit different talents Billy.

Yea for Milt. You happy?

Yeah, I guess I am.

Milt was probably a little too small for the NFL, but I think he could have been a solid 2nd or 3rd receiver on NFL teams in his prime (say around 2001).

Take this clip from the 2001 Grey Cup (CFL Championship) for example. The dude was unstoppable no matter how many guys you put on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYbgAWRgwrI

Yeah, I guess I am.

Milt was probably a little too small for the NFL, but I think he could have been a solid 2nd or 3rd receiver on NFL teams in his prime (say around 2001).

Take this clip from the 2001 Grey Cup (CFL Championship) for example. The dude was unstoppable no matter how many guys you put on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYbgAWRgwrI

What I would like to know is why you picked "Big Blue" as your name. Sounds as though you have some Kentucky Wildcat in you.